Author Topic: Talk to me about SLDF designs that Clanners use: The Pillager etc.  (Read 13959 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Interesting so are thinking it would be more early omnis or transitional non omnis like the kodiak?
It's not really known yet. What we do know, is that by looking at the MUL there are some units that have been mentioned in various products, but never received a TRO entry or recordsheet. Mechs like the Fox, Minsk, and Vision Quest (mentioned in TechManual) or the Storm Giant (in the Scylla TRO entry). Aerospace fighters like the Ogotai (StratOps) and the Specter Surveillance Plane (TM). Battle armor like the Rhino BA or the various pre-Elemental environment-specific suits.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but stuff like that I would think would be in there, at least to flesh out mentioned units before creating whole new ones. In most cases, those units I mentioned only have a name and maybe a tonnage listed to them, nothing else, so there's plenty of room to create.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
I dig it

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
It's not really known yet. What we do know, is that by looking at the MUL there are some units that have been mentioned in various products, but never received a TRO entry or recordsheet. Mechs like the Fox, Minsk, and Vision Quest (mentioned in TechManual) or the Storm Giant (in the Scylla TRO entry). Aerospace fighters like the Ogotai (StratOps) and the Specter Surveillance Plane (TM). Battle armor like the Rhino BA or the various pre-Elemental environment-specific suits.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but stuff like that I would think would be in there, at least to flesh out mentioned units before creating whole new ones. In most cases, those units I mentioned only have a name and maybe a tonnage listed to them, nothing else, so there's plenty of room to create.
Given the product text in the Coming Soon there will be 25 new BattleMechs, OmniMechs, vehicles, aerospace and battle armor.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Can anyone direct me to a mech of the week article on the SLDF Spartan?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Can anyone direct me to a mech of the week article on the SLDF Spartan?
Badnews, the original article was lost to Website hack, so it's long gone.
The wayback machine does go to April 2010 when it was last posted, but i was unable to search for the article.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Thanks for looking wrangler! Can anyone speak to its pro or cons?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
It's not very comfortable, pilots often describe it as spartan.  ;D
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Yuck Yuck Yuck

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Thanks for looking wrangler! Can anyone speak to its pro or cons?
This based on my experience using it and re-reading the TROs.

I only played it once, but essentially most models of this thing are Close-In Fighters and spotter.  A Fast Assault, which is meant get in the enemy face and get yell "This is Sparta"!  It's only long range weapon is it ER PPC, but the 3 Medium Pulses and the Streak 2s has very good chances damaging your target.

Most of the variants retains the basic mentality.  N1 which is old version only has single heat sinks, which it was replaced by the base model, the N2.   Best of the bunch (Star league wise) is NF. Which swaps the tag for Case to the machine, allowing it to survive to be salvaged.  The N3 is a Comstar/WoB variant, with C3I 3 additional Double Heat sinks, the three pulses are changed to ER Medium Lasers, while the antimissile system and ammo were removed to make way for the 3CI.

Pros: N1/N2/NF  - Accurate close-range fighter/spotter, with speed to spare 5/8 with good armor.  NF being most survivable of the all variants.  N3 = The best spotter with it's C3i network connection and improved range fighting capacities for the ER Medium Lasers.

Cons: N1 - Overheats due to single heat sinks not covering enough of the weapons heat. N2 - No CASE, vulnerable to ammo hit taking out by either the Anti-Missile System or the Streak Launchers, Not as well armed in comparison to other Assaults (modern ones). N3 - While better armed, its not as well armed as other mechs's it size.  ALL - Not range fighter, the mech likely to be taken out as it closes with superior armed opponent unless its similar.  Anti-Missile system was designed when rules were different, thus ammo lasts longer and likely be vulnerable to being key to the mech being taken out. Streak 2 plinking weapons, sure they will hit if fired but they don't do much damage unless you have opened up your enemy.  Biggest Con is the fluff.  Only 500 of these bad boys were ever made.  Thus by time ComGuards/WoB starting fielding the survivors into battle, you can count on you hands how many were left.   TRO:3067 mistakenly mentioned in different Mech's fluff that the Spartan was back into production which has since been say entry wasn't correct. Thus making it sure hard get operating one. If you did and your GM was evil in a campaign setting this thing likely to have a Design Quirk on Exinct (2750) thus parts hard to obtain.   

« Last Edit: 23 May 2017, 08:20:37 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Many thanks wrangler I am going to take the " and most examples left on exodus" and run with it so they can be part of my blood spirits. Now if you had clan tech to throw at it what would you do? Drop the TAG and Ams ?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Many thanks wrangler I am going to take the " and most examples left on exodus" and run with it so they can be part of my blood spirits. Now if you had clan tech to throw at it what would you do? Drop the TAG and Ams ?
Depends if it was a refit vs new built with all clan technology. If were (i doubt they do it) all Clan Tech model, Case is built in, you could use Light Tag.   AMS is still in use as well.  Bare in mind, that Blood Spirits (early) were combine arms users certain parts of their existence.  Tag would be rarely use since its about what MechWarrior can do alone or as part of a Star.  AMS still has alot potential as well given its heavier missile/munition environment  However i have limited experience with Clans other than what Field manuals and the novels i read while back.

A Refit version would be highly likely due to how resource needy the Blood Spirits are.  Going all-Clan equipment in a Star League Machine would help with weight savings.  NF model is a Star League machine, so i'd go with that and slap in Clan weaponry.  Bare in mind that this is a rare machine unless your not sticking with canon.

By The Clan Invasions, When ComStar was fielding the Spartan, in  a novel they were taken back by just seeing one.  Warrior at first was hesitant in even destroying it, but they did it anyways.  I doubt the Spartan survive early era of the Clans.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
What are some good light or medium SLDF mechs you all think the sprirts would use?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
There only a few SLDF Mechs still used in Second Line Clusters in service with the Blood Spirits (via FM Updates).  As far Lights go there is the Mercury, Mongoose and as far Mediums go there was only the Crab.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Right but let me be more clear looking at the sldf bench what mechs do you think the spirits would be all about outside the RAT? For theur 2nd line or provisional units? Falcon and mongoose come to mind

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
There only a few SLDF Mechs still used in Second Line Clusters in service with the Blood Spirits (via FM Updates).  As far Lights go there is the Mercury, Mongoose and as far Mediums go there was only the Crab.

The RATs aren't exhaustive or definitive though. RATs are just a quick and dirty way to roll up a random force. The old 2d6 RATs only had 11 slots too, so there's no way they could fit everything in. The MUL is a more definitive source, though even that's not absolute.

Right but let me be more clear looking at the sldf bench what mechs do you think the spirits would be all about outside the RAT? For theur 2nd line or provisional units? Falcon and mongoose come to mind

Honestly I think they'd use whatever was at hand, especially after losing 5 Galaxies in the Burrock Absorption. I doubt they make many new replacement parts for SLDF mechs, and probably none at all, so the usual "lasers n' missuls" Spirit preference probably doesn't factor into things (and is often overblown anyway IMHO).

But if you're looking just for good Lights and Mediums then the Royal Locust, Mongoose, Royal Mongoose, Royal Hussar, Night Hawk, Lynx, Royal Crab and Royal Griffin are all on the Spirits' MUL entry. I don't see why they wouldn't have a Falcon or two either if you really wanted to field one.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
I dig it. Any one have any guesess on which clan had the deepest brian Chache reserves right before the invasion? Just curious

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
I dig it. Any one have any guesess on which clan had the deepest brian Chache reserves right before the invasion? Just curious

With the Clans' 'might makes right' mentality, you're probably looking at the more powerful Clans having deeper reserves in that regard (Wolf, Falcon, Jaguar, etc.). The other way to look at it is that weaker Clans likely needed to pull more out of their caches to keep up with losses as opposed to the more industrially-capable Clans. Losing, say, a Griffin IIC for the Jade Falcons means replacing it with another one, or a Hellhound, or something like that, while the Blood Spirits might have to pull out an old Phoenix Hawk or Crab or something like that because it's harder to build/trade for a replacement. That means the cupboard is much more bare after a couple hundred years for the Spirits or Mandrills or someone like that than it would be for the Wolves or Bears.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant

The Diamond Sharks pulled an oversized Galaxy's worth of stuff out of the Vinton caches alone during the WoR. I think it was mostly SL vehicles though, and I don't know if they had other caches elsewhere.

Looking at the Wolf Touman in 3067, the Wolves must have had at least a Galaxy in SL machines that they used to rebuild after the Refusal War. 3067 is ten years on from the Refusal War and they STILL have a lot of SL tech in their 2nd-line Clusters.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.

To be honest, that seems mostly a speed of plot thing. Though to add to what others have said, the Wolves (maybe other clans contributed) were comfortable with pulling over five hundred mechs (plus replacements) from their oldest caches to outfit the dragoons while still having caches to support later rebuilding post refusal war.

Heh, there might actually be thousands of introductory tech battlemechs stored away that the clans decided they had no use for given that Inner Sphere units that appear in clan ranks all seem to use at least some clan technology.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
actually, i would assume that by the Jihad the brian caches had been pretty well picked over. if the brian caches still had a lot of units, the jaguars wouldn't have been panicking over lack of resources. or being unable to muster enough mechs to defend huntress that they had to resort to repurposing IS salvage from the OZ. for example. ever since the 3060's the clans, even the homeworlders, have been worrying about lack of resources. if there were still a lot of stockpiled mechs in the caches, they'd not have been worrying so much.

i suspect that between the Dragoons compromise, the need to establish garrisons on all the OZ worlds, the constant fighting in the homeworlds, and the Society.. there just aren't much left over in the caches.

(and i suspect that there are fairly few introtech units.. those would likely have been the standard for the pentagon civil wars, and between that and the early inter-clan warfare were largely wiped out in clan space)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
The SLDF had tens of thousands of mechs available to them when they arrived in the pentagon worlds (a conservative estimate would be about 30,000 mechs, it was definitely more than that), and there's no indication that the pentagon civil war involved division on division action. Not only that, but the majority of these units were non-royal formations, meaning they were predominantly the introductory technology that was the backbone of the house armies.

And the clans were able to whip up two galaxies worth of introductory mechs pretty quickly for the dragoons, and continue to resupply them later on.

As for the Jaguars, well, they were kinda jags. They could easily consider introductory tech beneath them. Heck, even when their most desperate formations started using Inner Sphere salvage, they were doing so without approval and smuggling it in under false pretenses.

All that being said, even if we assume 95 percent of the older mechs were destroyed or recycled for parts, that still leaves thousands of mechs available. Galaxies worth. And, well, the Clans seem to have caches of whatever the story needs them to have.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
That's why my blood spirits will have all the SLDF mechs I love

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Now what about tanks and vechicles like the rotunda and manticore? I Get the sense that the spirits extreme frugality did not fully blossom until the golden century which was a very hard time for them

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Did the spirits ever have an equipment surplus even after the raven mech For warships deal?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
The Blood Spirits have been portrayed as short of equipment and raw materials, allowing them to pare down their pool of warriors to the availability of the equipment they have, thus leaving their poorer warriors in other roles.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Right, so do we think they burned through their SL stocks and slowly rebuilt with 2nd line clan tech?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
The rebuilt with whatever they could make, trade or trial for. They didn't manufacture a lot but they did make OmniMechs, 'Mechs and so on.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Basically they were sort of in the position the Cappies were in after 4SW . . . and they solved it the same way, what they built were the cheapest/easiest designs they could field that were the most combat effective.  Its why you see their mechs with SFE, no or little ES/FF, using ERLL & LRMs (fighting from range means less damage you have to repair) and why they retained old command structures.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
That's why I love the spirits! You can put together a unit that has SLDF era tech to cutting edge protos and everything in between!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Did the spirits ever have an equipment surplus even after the raven mech For warships deal?

IIRC
They bulked up their Touman to very large levels, then turned around & lost it all when they interfered w/ the Burrock absorption.
There is 3+ galaxies of troops that only existed for a short time in universe & were never fluffed out.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register