Author Topic: Regaining consciousness and links  (Read 2205 times)

abou

• Captain
Regaining consciousness and links
« on: 20 June 2017, 07:08:51 »
Two questions:

1. Can a player regain consciousness during a fight? I couldn't find the rules to that. I know rounds are only 5 seconds a piece, so a conflict would likely be over before someone could wake up. But after our last session, it would be good to know for sure.

2. When converting gunnery and piloting stats to Total Warfare, do links count? For example, would a +1 link in dexterity and skill 4 in gunnery give you a Total Warefare gunnery skill of 3; or would it remain 4?

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Regaining consciousness and links
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2017, 12:34:42 »
Two questions:

1. Can a player regain consciousness during a fight? I couldn't find the rules to that. I know rounds are only 5 seconds a piece, so a conflict would likely be over before someone could wake up. But after our last session, it would be good to know for sure.

2. When converting gunnery and piloting stats to Total Warfare, do links count? For example, would a +1 link in dexterity and skill 4 in gunnery give you a Total Warefare gunnery skill of 3; or would it remain 4?
Yes a player can regain consciousness.

Technically no link attributes aren't supposed to apply because it makes it easier to make "Epic" characters myself I tend to ignore that because it's a very small note that is easy to miss.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2017, 08:18:04 »
Ok, so I missed both of those in the book. Do you know Wyatt pages for reference? Would regaining counsciousness just be the same check each round?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2017, 08:40:59 »
Page 40 of ATOW has a sidebar (technically a bottom bar) about how to convert from ATOW to Total Warfare

abou

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2017, 08:53:11 »
Yeah, that's the issue. It doesn't say anything specifically about links - for or against. That is my issue.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2017, 10:14:02 »
Well, it says to subtract the skill level from the skill's base target number. That's it. That's how you do it. Linked attribute modifiers don't modify the skill or the target number, so they're not part of the official formula.

The formula says to do "A"-"B" and you're asking about "C". They can't include everything you're not supposed to use, they just include the things you ARE supposed to use.

Of course, I'm flipping through the book and can't currently find the rulesl for how you know when you wake up from being unconscious...

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2017, 11:01:52 »
Your partners put you through the ice bucket challenge?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2017, 11:22:47 »
That's what it feels like.

Sometimes I feel as though I am hunting for rules that don't exist. For example, weapon specialization that grants you a +1 is mentioned on p. 172 in the example, but not in the actual skill entry for small arms on p. 153.

And with the Total Warfare conversion, the inclusion of a single word, in this case, "... only..." would have been a big help. Except in AToW, you would include links with BattleMech combat; ergo, why not the conversion?

I need to go looking through the errata. I just grabbed it.

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2017, 11:31:08 »
Which printing do you have?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2017, 11:50:39 »
Corrected second printing.

Stallion12

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2017, 12:35:48 »
The specialization of skills is mentioned in the chart, sometimes I hate how they organized the book myself. I'm constantly finding rules I didn't notice before.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2017, 12:49:45 »
Gah, you're right. I just saw it in the table on p. 394. When you said that, I realized that could work for any skill and is within the action check modifiers table.

Register