Author Topic: Lightsaber vs Wolverine, which cuts which??  (Read 3412 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Lightsaber vs Wolverine, which cuts which??
« on: 14 April 2017, 22:59:55 »
OK, we have a strange thread over on one of my ADND sites.  Say we get someone with a real to god lightsaber showing up in the next Xmen film, and wolvie is there with his admantium skeleton.
Can the lightsaber cut through wolvie?
Since it cauterizes the wound would wolvie be able to heal it??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: Lightsaber vs Wolverine, which cuts which??
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2017, 23:04:39 »
Yes, it cuts him, even the adamantium. Lightsabers have been shown to be able to cut nearly everything, and that which they can't has more to due with special interfering properties rather than simple durability or hardness.

Yes, Wolverine heals the wound anyway. Then man has regenerated from burning wounds before.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2017, 23:07:05 »
my opinion..

Yes the lightsaber would cut wolverine just fine.  as far as cutting his adamantium skeleton I think it would be more like cutting blast doors in star wars as in yes it will do it, but it takes some time/effort rather than something like the "cheap" droids where the sabers just cut through them like nothing.

as far as the partial cauterization is concerned he would heal it just fine, it might take a little longer to heal but that's about it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2017, 01:09:51 »
Wolverine gets bisected, then pulls himself back together (since he's survived being dunked in molten iron and being completely dismembered before).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2017, 02:56:06 »
What's the thermal conductivity of adamantium anyway?  How quickly would the lightsaber's heat spread to the rest of his skeleton and cook the Wolverine from inside?  Inconel's tough, and it's under 20% the conductivity as pure iron; it'd be a pretty good analog for adamantium.  Unfortunately it's got a melting point of around 1400oC, compared to the alternative of tungsten carbide.  That won't melt until twice that temperature, impressively enough, and won't boil until you hit six thousand.  Tungsten carbide is also really tough, but it's about 160% as thermally conductive so it would end up with a faster self-cooking superhero.

Of course, none of that matters; plasma arcs start around eight thousand degrees celsius and go north of twenty; the general opinion that 'Wolverine's screwed' is quite accurate.  Can a lightsaber kill Wolverine fast enough to make sure his regeneration doesn't save him?  Likely, but that depends on just how fast he regenerates - and that's a factor of caloric energy, organic chemistry processes, and the question of 'minimum quantity of Wolverine required for a regenerative seed' as well.

I think about weird, weird things listening to VNV Nation at one in the morning...
« Last Edit: 15 April 2017, 02:57:42 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2017, 04:16:44 »

In my opinion a lightsaber don't do anything to adamantium, even in the SW universe there are materials that can't be cut so why should adamantium be an exception?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2017, 05:33:40 »
Now that Marvel and Star Wars live under the same roof, this EXACT question would be a great excuse to revive What If...

Also...
my opinion..

Yes the lightsaber would cut wolverine just fine.  as far as cutting his adamantium skeleton I think it would be more like cutting blast doors in star wars as in yes it will do it, but it takes some time/effort rather than something like the "cheap" droids where the sabers just cut through them like nothing.

as far as the partial cauterization is concerned he would heal it just fine, it might take a little longer to heal but that's about it.
...that
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2017, 09:49:10 »
Now I'm imagining Wolverine with lightsaber emitters in his knuckles instead of claws.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2017, 11:47:03 »
Now I'm imagining Wolverine with lightsaber emitters in his knuckles instead of claws.
Someone beat you to that but with a were-panther superhero from Grrl Powers. http://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/2384
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2017, 12:51:53 »

Damn you!  Now I'm trying to figure out how to use this idea in Exalted .  It's too awesome not to
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2017, 23:46:30 »
In my opinion a lightsaber don't do anything to adamantium, even in the SW universe there are materials that can't be cut so why should adamantium be an exception?

Plus we saw exactly how damaging Cyclop's eye blast can be, yet Weapon 11 when firing full blast at logan (Origins wolverine), didn't damage his claws..  Hell his claws just heated up and was able to cut OFF wade's head..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2017, 01:01:14 »
Cyclops's optic blast isn't a lightsaber.  It's (usually) kinetic energy that can be bounced off highly reflective surfaces (and sometimes surfaces that aren't reflective).

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2017, 01:53:03 »
I was talking to my friend today and apparently there was an "official" Darth Vader vs someone in adamantium suit fight, and vader "eventually" cut through the suit and killed the guy.  it may have taken like 15 strikes but he did it.

so the precedent is that adamantium is NOT immune to lightsaber attacks, it may be resistant but the lightsaber will eventually cut/burn through it.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2017, 05:25:33 »
I was talking to my friend today and apparently there was an "official" Darth Vader vs someone in adamantium suit fight, and vader "eventually" cut through the suit and killed the guy.  it may have taken like 15 strikes but he did it.

so the precedent is that adamantium is NOT immune to lightsaber attacks, it may be resistant but the lightsaber will eventually cut/burn through it.
Official?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2017, 22:47:02 »
I hate Wolverine as he is way too overpowered. 

I would love to see him destroyed.  I would expect the lightsaber wielding Jedi to defeat him.  Just use the force to send him into the sun/a star.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2017, 23:34:13 »
As super-tough as adamantium is supposed to be, I'm not sure a lightsaber cuts through it clean.  Maybe only some partial melting as the blades swings past.  Recall the scene in TPM were it takes some time to cut through a blast door.  But even if it didn't scratch the adamantium, when all the flesh around it is gone he's still going to be in some trouble or for a while.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2017, 23:51:38 »
This assumes that Wolverine does not manage to take out the body of the lightsaber or the arm of the wielder in the first pass (Darth/Luke Skywalker style).
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2017, 23:55:40 »

I would love to see him destroyed.

You know that he's been dead for something like two years, right?

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #18 on: 17 April 2017, 07:35:58 »
Not to mention a few months gone on the Cinema scenery.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2017, 09:28:29 »

I would love to see him destroyed.  I would expect the lightsaber wielding Jedi to defeat him.  Just use the force to send him into the sun/a star.
didnt marvel killed him? or did i miss another retcon with the marvel crapperverse?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2017, 10:05:06 »
Didn't the Nerdist answer this question on YouTube already?
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 17 April 2017, 11:44:01 »
didnt marvel killed him? or did i miss another retcon with the marvel crapperverse?

He's dead.  X-23 has replaced him as All New Wolverine, while Old Man Logan assists the X-Men.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2017, 11:46:49 »
He's dead.  X-23 has replaced him as All New Wolverine, while Old Man Logan assists the X-Men.
ok i had been way out of the loop who is x 23 and old man logan is he not wolverine? or some git transported him from lat future/universe again?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 17 April 2017, 14:31:55 »
X-23 is Wolverine's opposite-sex clone.  She's got the same powers but her healing factor isn't quite as strong and she's only got two claws in her arms with an additional claw that protrudes from each foot.

Old Man Logan is an alternate universe character from a bad future set decades after most of the mainstream Marvel heroes are dead from old age.  As such, he's a version of Wolverine who's now past his prime and no longer has the speed, strength, or endurance he once did.  His regeneration and supersenses are also correspondingly diminished.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2017, 14:47:47 »

Then it is a time for combined arms Votive games!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 17 April 2017, 17:01:48 »
X-23 is Wolverine's opposite-sex clone.  She's got the same powers but her healing factor isn't quite as strong and she's only got two claws in her arms with an additional claw that protrudes from each foot.

Old Man Logan is an alternate universe character from a bad future set decades after most of the mainstream Marvel heroes are dead from old age.  As such, he's a version of Wolverine who's now past his prime and no longer has the speed, strength, or endurance he once did.  His regeneration and supersenses are also correspondingly diminished.
ok now i just got sworn off any marvel comic universe...i thought dc was bad in its day when their multiverse went nuts...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2017, 17:11:16 »
Marvel's been having some weird stuff going on for the last few years and they've got a surprising number of A-Listers who are currently dead (at last count, it was Wolverine, War Machine, and the Incredible Hulk).  The guy who owns the local comic book store told me he's heard rumors that Marvel might do a major universe reset sometime soon in order to consolidate things.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 17 April 2017, 17:23:49 »
Marvel's been having some weird stuff going on for the last few years and they've got a surprising number of A-Listers who are currently dead (at last count, it was Wolverine, War Machine, and the Incredible Hulk).  The guy who owns the local comic book store told me he's heard rumors that Marvel might do a major universe reset sometime soon in order to consolidate things.
As far as I have heard, its done it is part of an attempt to replace the classic core characters with a more 'diverse' set of characters. But only some of the new characters if finding any sort of traction (X-23, Miles Morales). 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 17 April 2017, 17:43:28 »
That was part of it, and there have been some successes there (Thor, All New Wolverine, and Ms Marvel being a few).  But they're apparently reaching the point where they've changed too much too quickly and are starting to look for a way to focus things.  Or so I heard, no way for me to actually confirm that.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #29 on: 17 April 2017, 17:49:54 »
It'd be kinda daft for Marvel to talk about a full universe reboot at this point, considering how the Ultimate universe withered away and died just last year from lack of interest in most of its titles.

Register