Author Topic: What weapons go well with a large VSPL?  (Read 3582 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
What weapons go well with a large VSPL?
« on: 20 April 2017, 04:16:04 »
Let's say you've got a 5/8 60-ton chassis with 26 tons of pod space.  You want to make a large VSPL one of the main guns.  What would work well with it?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Col Toda

• Captain
Re: What weapons go well with a large VSPL?
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2017, 04:57:24 »
Snub Nosed PPC and an MRM 30 w Apollo FCS  MASC and a Supercharger and 15 DHS . Runs a maximum of 13 get behind someone and execute.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2017, 08:28:42 »
Depends on what you wand to do with the mech.  After the 9 ton VSPL, that leaves you 17 tons to play with.  That could be a gauss rifle with 16 rounds, give them a real dilemma, since if they try to get under its minimums they're playing into the VSPL's hands.  It could also be an LBX-20 with three tons of ammo, if you want to be a real short range terror.  2 LRM-15s with a ton of ammo each would make you a nice self-guarding firesupport unit, albeit one with short ammo endurance.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2017, 09:02:07 »
You're not making full use of that VSPL unless you're in short range, so double down on the short range pain: mount another Large VSPL, two SSRM4s + 1 ton ammo, double heat sink or CASE II if you're chicken ;)

I figure this'd be a decent Anvil WOBM refit.

Alternatively, try 2 Large VSPLs, four standard medium lasers and a Radical Heat Sink System! :D
« Last Edit: 20 April 2017, 09:05:55 by Kidd »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2017, 11:55:12 »

Jump jets, supercharger, TSM, battlefists, and a short-ranged (ideally pulse/TC) energy loadout that can precisely dial in your heat to a +9 under a variety of movement options.  Variable lasers work best up close and nothing is more dangerous in the game than a highly mobile, mid-tonnage mech that gets two chances per turn to decapitate an opponent on the punch hit location table with dual, TSM-enhanced battlefists in melee range.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2017, 11:59:05 »
You're not making full use of that VSPL unless you're in short range, so double down on the short range pain: mount another Large VSPL, two SSRM4s + 1 ton ammo, double heat sink or CASE II if you're chicken ;)

Bah, skip the DHS/CASE II and put in a ton of liquid storage for the thing that goes best with VSPLs...tequila!
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2017, 12:29:26 »
Jump jets, supercharger, TSM, battlefists, and a short-ranged (ideally pulse/TC) energy loadout that can precisely dial in your heat to a +9 under a variety of movement options.  Variable lasers work best up close and nothing is more dangerous in the game than a highly mobile, mid-tonnage mech that gets two chances per turn to decapitate an opponent on the punch hit location table with dual, TSM-enhanced battlefists in melee range.

Something like this?
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57232.new#new
Just a first draft, just trying to get the idea.

EDIT Didn't have weight to cram in jump jets. Could replace some of Small VSPLs with them but then heat control becomes problematic and damage output becomes worse, not to mention space issues.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2017, 12:31:59 by Empyrus »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2017, 14:23:17 »
Something like this?

Yup.  All sorts of ways to tweak this kind of design, but you got the idea.  (Personally, I prefer x-pulse or straight pulse, ideally with a TC to offset the overheating, to VPLs, but that's neither here nor there.)

EDIT Didn't have weight to cram in jump jets. Could replace some of Small VSPLs with them but then heat control becomes problematic and damage output becomes worse, not to mention space issues.

Two options:

Drop the weight to 55 tons for half-ton jump jets.  The TSM-enhanced punches will still round up to 12 points each, for two, 1-in-6 chances at decapitation per turn on the punch hit location table.

And/or add a superchanger.  When added to the TSM, running movement becomes so fast that jump jets are unnecessary except in the most difficult terrain.

FWIW...

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2017, 14:37:20 »
My design does have a supercharger already actually.

As for X-pulses, i didn't use them due to way heat works out: LVSPL=10+2xMPL=8=18+Run or walk+SL=20+3xSVSPL=29. And it is easy to keep it up.
Of course, MXPL+2xSL would be 8 as well so they'd work as well but there'd be no SL "reserve" as it is.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2017, 04:53:53 »
Bah, skip the DHS/CASE II and put in a ton of liquid storage for the thing that goes best with VSPLs...tequila!
Reminds of the Tweddledee/Tweddledum Awesome design I've got, pull the SL for a vehicle flamer, one of the HS for ammo filled with coolant, and then field two of them mirrored, they use the flamers to cool each other down, dropping the firing cycle.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2017, 11:00:25 »
Honestly, Kidd has the right idea though maybe shrink the SSRM size/number to get a Supercharger or other equipment to help survive into the VSPL range.  You want to get into the mid or better short range as quickly as possible and take as little damage getting to that range as possible.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."