Author Topic: Dipping into Anime...  (Read 5826 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Dipping into Anime...
« on: 20 April 2017, 23:52:17 »
With the release of the Scarlet Johansson's "Ghost in the Shell" I've decided to watch the original first as well as any other "must-see" anime.
At the moment my list is:

"Ghost in the Shell"
     "Akira"
     "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross"
     "Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross"
     "Genesis Climber MOSPEADA"
     (Those three because Mecha and I can't force myself to actually watch RT.)

Any others that you guys would consider essential viewing?

To be honest I've never been a fan of anime (which ironically gets me funny looks when I say I'm learning Japanese, as if that is the sole reason to want to and not several hundred years of literature, but that's a topic for another time). Of course what all I have to base it on is stuff like Pokemon, DragonBall Z and several others the names of which escape me. It's not the subject of them that I object to, but the shared style of animation, the aesthetic if you will. It's too...static. To me animation should flow, should well, be animate. But, I admit I have a very small selection on which to base my opinions and I wouldn't have it said that I'm not open to new experiences. Hence this post.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Dipping into Anime...
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2017, 00:23:28 »
Cowboy Bebop.  It's one of the series that brought anime to mainstream America.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2017, 00:45:49 »
Bubblegum Crisis. both the original OVA and the Tokyo 2040 TV series reboot. (personally i prefer the reboot, but the original has many proponents and is fun too)
the original is essentially a series of one-off stories with a few common threads, the reboot actually delves more into the history and origin of the setting, using a coherent (if occasionally odd) storyline. the reboot is disliked by fans of the original because it redid the appearances and personalities of the characters to various degrees. (mostly modernizing to 90's styles rather than 80's)
« Last Edit: 21 April 2017, 00:52:27 by glitterboy2098 »

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2017, 04:41:43 »
For a change of pace and to showcase the talents of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, may I suggest you consider:

Porco Rosso
Spirited Away

Edit - almost forgot Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
« Last Edit: 21 April 2017, 04:55:51 by Feenix74 »
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2017, 05:35:59 »
Hi, YingJanshi!

It's not the subject of them that I object to, but the shared style of animation, the aesthetic if you will. It's too...static. To me animation should flow, should well, be animate. But, I admit I have a very small selection on which to base my opinions and I wouldn't have it said that I'm not open to new experiences. Hence this post.[/font]

When you mention the "static" style of anime, I'm assuming you're referring to the tendency of many series towards largely static shots or pans in which only one or two objects actually move in the frame? That's less a trait of anime as a whole than it is an old cost-saving measure. While it can be very common in low-budget TV series, particularly those made before 2003, the higher budget the anime, the less likely you'll see that sort of thing in the program, with theatrical releases typically having the highest animation quality.

Some of my favorite modern theatrical anime releases are REDLINE, Expelled From Paradise (楽園追放), Summer Wars & Steam Boy. All are great examples of the true artistic capabilities of 21st century anime.

I'm sure I could recommend dozens of series like Mobile Suit Gundam or Neon Genesis Evangelion that many people would consider "must-see" anime, but I'm loath to start piling on recommendations of series that make use of some of the same static animation cuts you complained about above and without knowing your tolerance for certain genre themes.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2017, 05:47:34 »
Last Exile.

Berserk (if you like dark fantasy)

Another (if you like horror/mystery)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2017, 06:11:54 »
If you like Tarantino movies you might possible like Black Lagoon.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2017, 06:19:50 »
A lot of what would be my suggestions have already been covered...to these I would add the following:

Burst Angel
Noir
El Cazador de la Bruja
Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Grenadier
Record of Lodoss War (especially the original OVA)
anything by Matsumoto Leiji (Galaxy Express 999, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Space Battleship Yamato (which became Starblazers in the States), Queen Emeraldas, etc.)

I would list more, but I need to get ready to go to work.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2017, 06:35:21 »
Oh, if you like slapstick fantasy, try 'The Slayers'. Four seasons of show, and a whole bunch of movies.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2017, 08:27:05 »
While both in the OP and in several of the replies are titles I would of recommended, there are a couple more I would add...

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blodded Orphans - This is a solid gateway into everything Gundam and it has a BT feel to it as well.
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team - Essentially a side story set during the original MS Gundam series. 08th MS follows a Lance-sized combat unit.
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex - The SAC TV series don't fall in with the first two GitS theatrical films, but both seasons and the Solid State Society OVA are good extrapolations of the first GitS manga.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2017, 09:23:06 »
essencial viewing?
megazone 23
bubble gum crisis(original)
bubblegum crash
akira
orange road
maison ikkoku
dragon half
maze the amazing adventurer(not the series)
rourin kenshin
ranma 1/2
macross
mospaeda
mazinger 23
speed racer
gatchaman
dougram
big o
cowboy bebop
space dandy
time of eve
FLAG
gundam (1978-1981)
cleopatra
crayon shinchan
milk chan
chobits
humanoid
crusher joe
jayce and wheeled warriors(french/japaniese colaboration)
GTO
miuki chan in wonderland
metropolis
astro boy
spriggan
millenium actress
robot carnaval
all of ghibli collection
evangelion
scopedog
votoms
roujin z
gits(movies especially)
gits (series)
your name
graveyard of the fireflies
wings of hanomise
highschool of the dead
death parade

just few to get some folks started...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2017, 10:24:07 »
I'd add Bannou Bunka Nekomusume (aka Nuku Nuku) to that. And perhaps Gall Force. And Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita).

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2017, 12:24:04 »
I'd add Bannou Bunka Nekomusume (aka Nuku Nuku) to that. And perhaps Gall Force. And Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita).
sadly alita was a one shot had a potential btw actress who played nene in bgc is alita
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2017, 12:32:11 »
Dont know if anybody already recommended it: Patlabor, both the series and movies. Police mech for the win!
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2017, 14:20:03 »
Dont know if anybody already recommended it: Patlabor, both the series and movies. Police mech for the win!
Seconded. Franchise needs some clarification however. Anime has two different story lines. First was OVA series of 7 episodes, which are followed by 3 movies. Then is TV series, 47 episodes long if I recall correctly, which is followed by OVA of ... 16 episodes. TV series and OVA following it (Patlabor: The New Files) have different story from OVA & movies. All of them should be available for sale either on DVDs or BDs (Blu-ray Disc). I recommend you to start with the 7 episode OVA and buy more if you like it. As noted in a post before, Patlabor is about mecha police doing police stuff, NOT MechWarriors fighting wars.

Other mecha shows of interest for BattleTech players:
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Main character is renegade mecha pilot fighting for his survival against conspiracies, gangs, corrupt police, civil war... Smaller than BattleMechs, mecha in this anime are quite believable, something that could be almost made right now if governments would put serious effort to it. One of the top choices for BattleTech fans.

Mobile Suit Gundam
Many series and OVAs on this one. Look up site Crunchyroll, type gundam to search field, and you'll get number of series to watch (for free). Over there I recommend Mobile Suit GUNDAM: Iron Blooded Orphans. It is about child soldiers working as mercenaries. Number of people on this forum swear this anime has got inspirations from BattleTech.

Konosuba
Fantasy comedy about Japanese shut-in otaku, who gets called by goddess to save a fantasy world from demon king. Japanese boy is looking forward to grand adventure, the like in (Japanese) video RPGames, only to get his rear kicked by harsh reality (repeatedly) to comical effect. His all-female adventuring party have crippling specializations (crusader is tough as a wall, but can't hit a wall) which makes the guy say: "My party can't be this dysfunctional" (in translated light novel). Anime is available on Crunchyroll. Don't eat nor drink anything when you watch it ;)

This should get you started. For more anime, check out the anime topic.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #15 on: 21 April 2017, 14:32:26 »
Full Metal Panic. Mecha. Merc in High School. Hijinks.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 21 April 2017, 14:44:25 »
Psycho-Pass
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Black Lagoon
Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night
Ghost in the Shell (but you already have that one on your list)

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blodded Orphans - This is a solid gateway into everything Gundam and it has a BT feel to it as well.

I'm going to disagree with this one specifically, though.  IBO is an absolutely terrible gateway into everything Gundam by virtue of having nothing to do with anything else.  A dozen other Gundam series do it better, and it's one that you have to binge or caring about the characters rapidly starts to fall apart.  Watching it one episode a week on Toonami was nothing short of a bitter slog and I can't recommend it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2017, 15:10:43 »
I'm going to disagree with this one specifically, though.  IBO is an absolutely terrible gateway into everything Gundam by virtue of having nothing to do with anything else.  A dozen other Gundam series do it better, and it's one that you have to binge or caring about the characters rapidly starts to fall apart.  Watching it one episode a week on Toonami was nothing short of a bitter slog and I can't recommend it.

I need to preface this by mentioning I haven't finished IBO Season 2 yet.

IBO is actually a good gateway:
1) It is a AU. You don't have to worry about what happened before. And every couple of episodes, you get enough about the overall setting you're not overwhelmed.
2) The overall cast is solid enough and embodies enough of the franchise's Tropes.
3) IBO is also easily accessible at this time. Both seasons, subtitled, and S1 English dubbed are available on Gundam.Info's Youtube account (S1 Sub, S2 Sub).
4) While not hard factual, I showed a friend of mine, who's not a big mech-head, the first two eps of IBO's English dub. He was rather impressed with what he saw.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #18 on: 21 April 2017, 15:12:49 »
If you get Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, make sure you get a copy of the original Bandai release on DVD.  The newer Blu-Ray version is much lower quality- worse voice acting, the subtitles are just a close caption of the dub rather than an actual translation of the Japanese dialog, and each episode is done in one chunk instead of being broken up into multiple segments for easier navigation.

Also, if you're going to watch Grave of the Fireflies, go to Costco and buy a package of Kleenex boxes.  You're going to need all of them.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #19 on: 21 April 2017, 15:55:27 »

Bubblegum Crisis (OVA)
Patlabor (Movies)
Diebuster
Claymore
Heavy Object
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 21 April 2017, 16:29:01 »
Hey, I said I was dipping my foot in, not doing a cannonball...  ;D

But seriously, thanks everyone, your suggestions should keep me busy for awhile.  O0 O0

One more question for now: anyone have any idea which place is the best place for streaming "Ghost in the Shell"? Amazon Prime has it, but I'm suspecting it only has the English Dub. Steam has it as well, but from the reviews I've read it seems it's the redux version with additional CGI footage. I think it is on the Windows store as well...
I'd prefer to watch it in the original Japanese with subtitles.

(Dubbed movies, like abridged books, are abominations.  >:( >:( >:()

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 21 April 2017, 17:19:20 »
(Dubbed movies, like abridged books, are abominations.  >:( >:( >:()

Some, yes, but I found the dub for Ghost in the Shell to be fairly decent. Not sure the best site for streaming. I go old school with DVDs.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #22 on: 21 April 2017, 17:49:33 »
Space Battleship Yamato / Star Blazers

TBH, that series is my "go to" when I picture space warships.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 21 April 2017, 18:18:38 »
Some, yes, but I found the dub for Ghost in the Shell to be fairly decent. Not sure the best site for streaming. I go old school with DVDs.

I also found the English dubs of Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, and Burst Angel were quite good as well...

And I also favor DVD's as well...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #24 on: 21 April 2017, 18:28:53 »
Presumably, YingJanshi is interested in the original dialogue as a student of the language.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any place currently streaming the original film in its native Japanese. Sometimes rights issues can become stumbling blocks for some of these older properties, and I understand that there was recently a limited theatrical re-release of the film in the United States. It's quite likely that other sources for the film were temporarily curtailed leading up to those showings.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #25 on: 21 April 2017, 18:50:13 »
I have to admit that the only Gumdam series i liked was The Ms 08th team. Is was way more down to ground that the rest of the franchise.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: 21 April 2017, 19:02:48 »
Just a few off of the top of my head... Happy hunting!

Patlabor OVAs - Just finished watching these myself and they are perfect for getting into Mecha Anime. The animation is fantastic and still holds up greatly nearly 30 years after. (Seriously, google gifs from the second Patlabor movie. They are a technical showpiece.  :o)

Gundam the 08th MS Team - A fantastic intro to the Gundam franchise, though it seems to fall apart largely in the last quarter of the series due to a directorial change.) It is very realistic in how it portrays it's mecha, however.

Gundam Thunderbolt - The epitimy of the term "Mechporn" for mech fans. Incredible animation and drama.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - It may take a rewatch or two to understand the story, but it is a fantastic series non the less.

Serial Experiments Lain - Is much in the same philosophical boat as Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell, dealing with technoligies integration into society.

Trigun - very enjoyable series with a very clear sense of humour and action.

Cowboy Bebop - One of the series I wish I could rewatch not knowing any thing about it again. Seriously. It's that good, and the themes and character become more relateable with age.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 21 April 2017, 22:20:16 »
Okay, I take it back...dubbing can be hysterical if you through the script out the window and just wing ala Samurai Pizza Cats(Kyatto Ninden Teyandee). I've had my 90s quota now I think... :D

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 21 April 2017, 23:34:15 »
Riding and gun smith cats.....the creater was a big fan of the blues brothers and its set in the windy city......

Girls with panzers

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #29 on: 22 April 2017, 00:09:03 »
Riding and gun smith cats.....
He means Riding Bean and Gunsmith Cats.

Girls with panzers
GIRLS und PANZER. High school girls playing simulated armour battles with Second World War AFVs (not just tanks). Available on Crunchyroll.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.