Author Topic: Homebrew #12 the Griffin!  (Read 1024 times)

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
Homebrew #12 the Griffin!
« on: 23 April 2017, 01:39:03 »
For my dozenth home-brewed mech figurine, I decided to finish out my ranks of the classic 55 ton mediums.  I'd already had a Dervish from the Intro Box set, and I've done the Wolverine, Scorpion and Shadowhawk already, so that leaves ol' Roundhead to finish up with. I always kinda liked the looks of this guy, even though I don't really remember playing either with or against this 'mech in any of my old tabletop games.  Anyways, now that I've got a sweet new figurine to bounce around the mapsheets with, I'll be sure not to neglect him any further.

So here's the reference art, straight from the sacred Lost Testament of 3025.  It's seems pretty clear that the original concept of the old Dougram art was more or less an astronaut in his spacesuit, holding a gun.  This is definitely one of the most anthropomorphic 'mech designs out there.  Awesome!  Who cares about "plausibility" or pseudo-realism when you gots a suit like that to wear?

The wire armature is plugged right back into the foot holes left by the Shadow Hawk figure I did last.  These two guys are the same tonnage, so they should be essentially the same exact size, I figure.

The clay is globbed on to the wire, and I'm ready to start carving.  I am using Sculpey Premo again.  I think I've come to the conclusion that it is the best compromise for the purpose here. 

C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
Re: Homebrew #12 the Griffin!
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2017, 01:40:20 »

When it comes to shaping, using a knife to carve to the basic shapes and then refining afterwards is the easiest way to get where I want to go.  Mostly subtractive rather than additive.  It's just too hard to add precise shapes without smooshing them up.  It's better to just put on plenty, and then cut away the excess.  You'll have to add extra structural support with wire here and there too, and it's proving easier to do that by threading on lumps of clay to carve down rather than trying to attach a finished arm without wrecking it in the process.

I've used yet another of those carved toothpicks for a gun barrel--this time it's a PPC.  (These are very versatile toothpicks) 

Since the reference art rarely, if ever, shows anything but the front side of the model, you get to use your imagination a bit more when coming up with something plausible back there.  Seemed to me like a couple of jumpjet nozzles was reasonable enough.  And sure, I probably could have looked up pictures of what earlier versions of this figure looked like in the round for reference if I had wanted to, but I'm content with this.

The important thing is that it looks enough like the picture in the TRO so that it's totally recognisable by anybody. 

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2017, 01:40:52 »
After a little paint, he's ready to join the battalion!  Go, Griffy! Go! Grrrrrrrowl!

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2017, 02:58:59 »
Great work, I love the use of the toothpick!
Hayden

Register