Author Topic: trying to build a "striker" level II  (Read 1602 times)

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
trying to build a "striker" level II
« on: 24 April 2017, 17:56:37 »
hi there, im building a Shadow Division level III, but Im having some issues while trying to pick my units for the Striker role.
So, for my Striker level II I wanted to pick this units:
1x Malak (comminus) (striker)
1x Maxim Heavy hover transport standard (Striker)
1x Pinto (WoB) (Striker)
1x Pegasus (3058 upgrade) (Striker)
2x Tengu (RL) (Ambusher)
My idea was to use the Maxim as the transport for the Tengu. But the Alpha Strike Companion indicates that ALL members of a Striker formation must have a ground of 10" or jumping 8". And at least 50% of the formation must have Striker/Skirmisher Role.

So, there is no way that unit meet the criteria to gain the Striker lance special ability, right?
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Re: trying to build a "striker" level II
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2017, 19:17:49 »
IIRC, You can either have the Maxim (and replace the Tengu with a different unit of the Striker type) or delete the Maxim and keep the Tengu, but you can't have both and have a legal Striker lance for the purposes of lance abilities.

The rules, again IIRC, say that if all units share the same recommended unit type for a lance, they gain those abilities even if they do not meet the full requirements of the lance (so six Strikers would be a legal Striker Level II even if one of the strikers falls below the speed or other requirements, if I'm reading the rules right).

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2017, 19:35:27 »
reading again and consulting the MUL at the same time, looks like there is no Battlearmor unit with Striker/Skirmisher, so they will neve4r be part of a Striker formation :(

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2017, 19:38:05 »
That's not true, per se, but that's because there are some Battle Armor that actually meet the movement requirements like Buraqs and Gray Death Scouts.  The Tengu, however, cannot.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2017, 19:46:12 »
I beleive the Nova rules provide a clause that allows BA to be included in formations: they neither count for nor against unit composition.  (Don't have to meet criteria, but also won't get bonuses or count as % destroyed or % remaining intact.)

IIRC you don't have to declare your force to be Clan to use tha nova rule. E.G. Lances and Level IIs can also be "novas".
« Last Edit: 24 April 2017, 19:48:48 by Tai Dai Cultist »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2017, 20:16:31 »
Yeah, I'd allow a Level II with Battle Armor to count as a lance for the 4-5 'mechs/combat vees, and just ignore the BA as with a nova.  They just don't count for or against, in-universe they are a Level II, rules-wise they are a "Lance" or "Star" (formation with 4 or 5 members), and a Battle Armor or two or three attached as "independent" units. (Or even two formations of three, one with three non-BA and one with three BA).  I'm fine with rules and fluff being separate..
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2017, 20:35:54 »
Thanks for you advices. But as to create a "Choir" formation (WoB analogous NOVA), I need a level full of II ONMI, and all battlearmor to have MEx or XMEC.
AS my army list does not countains a lvl II of only omni units, I cant exploit this clause.

But I already tought a way to use the Tengus. I will start another post with my list of units and organization so you can provide feedback  :).
Thank you all.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2017, 20:42:49 »
Thanks for you advices. But as to create a "Choir" formation (WoB analogous NOVA), I need a level full of II ONMI, and all battlearmor to have MEx or XMEC.
AS my army list does not countains a lvl II of only omni units, I cant exploit this clause.

I don't think you need to.  The same (or perhaps, similarly worded but technically separate) rules allow for adding ASFs to "Air Lances".

I'm pretty sure you can just add infantry to a formation and call it good.. they just neither count for nor against the formation.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2017, 21:46:10 »
Novas, Choirs, and Air Lances are about bolting two formations together to act as one. Different from just having a couple independent units tagging along beside an established formation for pragmatic purposes.

It is worth noting that a Choir doesn't need to consist solely of omnimechs if the non-omnis are carrying XMEC BA like the Longinus Magnetic.