Author Topic: Home Brew recreation of Canon Warships with SO rules  (Read 3474 times)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Home Brew recreation of Canon Warships with SO rules
« on: 26 April 2017, 00:12:54 »
Using the spreadsheet from my signature, I recreated all of the canon warships. Had to buy a few more PDFs to finish it but I got them all (that I know about).
First the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MgPrZSOW7Uit4bs3x05AR9xQfF6uN5FXoM1Iears8xU/edit?usp=sharing

It was suggested to me that as long as I post it here, and don't try to claim they are official (they aren't), the mods probably wouldn't have a problem with this, but if there is, I'll remove it.

This is set to view only. To make your own copy, go to 'File' and select 'Make a copy' which will result in your own editable version. They are in alphabetical order rather than by tonnage, class, or faction.

I stuck as close to the designs as I could. There are some differences. First, I didn't always put the actual armor values, just the armor tonnages. Where they are missing, just get them from the TRO or other book. I'll eventually update those. I also didn't separate weapons into their bays. I typically do that when I put a ship on a TRO style entry, so I wasn't concerned with it here. I don't plan on changing that, since the TRO entries list it. Feel free to change that on your own copies as you see fit. This has no effect on BV2, C-bills, or anything else in the design process.

Other differences:
  • On any discrepancy between amount of ammo and tonnage of ammo, I sided with the amount, to preserve the same performance.
  • For discrepancies in armor, I sided with the armor amount over armor tonnage, to preserve the same performance. Some of those armor tonnages were very far off.
  • Crew numbers are often different. I used the minimum crew as calculated by the formulas in SO. In some cases I had discovered some crew, like HPG operators, were put in as passengers, they are instead in the 'Gunners and Other' section on my sheets
  • I used the standard format of Officers in 10-ton first class quarters, then Crew, Gunners, and Others in 7 ton second class quarters.
  • I used a minimalist approach for bay personnel, giving them only the free quarters that came with the bay.
  • Like Bay personnel, I took the minimalist approach to putting marines on the ship, assigning infantry bays or compartments to the ship for the amount needed. Since those are bays, they technically have the quarters for those troops, so I didn't put any other quarters on for marines.
  • The Thera's TRO 3067 entry says it only has a bit over 100 fighters, but prior entries, and it's fluff indicate it should have 216. I gave it 216 fighter bays.
  • The Nightwing's entry indicated that it had sensors of some kind in bays that it could extend from the hull from 3 bays. It's fluff indicated these bays were in the forward and side section. This equipment totaled 75 tons. I placed several look-down radars, Hi-Res Imagers, and infrared Imagers in the nose and both broadsides, adding up to the required tonnage.This seemed to me to meet the requirements for that gear, however it is a liberty I took with it, not canon, and c-bill costs reflect that choice.
  • I didn't put standard cargo amounts on the bottom section of the sheets as I should, however this affects nothing. the 'Tonnage Remaining' value at the top is the amount of standard cargo the ship has. This has no effect on c-bills or anything else.

If something doesn't make sense on the spreadsheet, the 'Warship Calculator' link in my signature has an explanation of things on the spreadsheet. Try reading through that, and if it doesn't answer questions, feel free to ask me for clarifications.

As usual if anyone spots any egregious errors on my part like missing docking collars or something, please point them out so I can fix it.

If you just disagree with some of the choices I made (for example the quarters set-up), you can change your own version to match how you think it should be. I chose the minimalist route specifically to give the minimum it could be, with an expectation that they might have done more, but it is at least this much.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Re: Home Brew recreation of Canon Warships with SO rules
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2017, 10:41:54 »
Found an error in C-bill calculations, and fixed it. All ships now updated with the fix.

BlackLiger

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2017, 21:34:54 »
Why is your leviathan III over tonnage by over 6300?

Can't tell if it's calculation error or Base weight error or CGL to wiz kids scale translation issue. Sarnau says the weight is correct.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2017, 22:12:02 »
Why is your leviathan III over tonnage by over 6300?

Can't tell if it's calculation error or Base weight error or CGL to wiz kids scale translation issue. Sarnau says the weight is correct.

Thanks for catching that. It was actually 6.3 million over. I had the HNG ammo and NAC-20 ammo set to the weapon themselves instead of the ammo, so rather than 600 HNG rounds and 900 NAC-20 rounds, I was telling it to have an extra 600 HNGs and 900 more NAC-20s lol.

Fixed now.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2017, 21:57:28 »
Added with Feng Huang (Upgrade), which I didn't know existed until recently. If anyone discovers and other missing ships, please let me know.

Because I only had the record sheet to go off of, and not a TRO entry, the passenger info is at my best guess, and my be completely inaccurate, as I just put all of the ones under 'passengers" as 2nd class quarters. Adjust as you see fit.

BritMech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2017, 22:30:16 »
Thanks for these.

Do you have a DropShip calculator like this as well? It would be very useful.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2017, 00:04:21 »
I will eventually, but don't have it yet. I plan on eventually doing every unit type that either MegaMekLabs doesn't have, or doesn't have good enough for my liking. Right now though I am actively working on a support vehicle calculator, and a spreadsheet for the solar system generation in campaign ops. I was planning on doing a space station calculator after that, and then one for dropships and small craft together, since their rules are so close (construction wise anyway).

I don't think I will be recreating all the cannon dropships though, since they have a lot more material supporting them than warships did.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2017, 05:54:11 »
Jeeze! This is amazing, brillaint work :D :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2017, 10:02:14 »
Jeeze! This is amazing, brillaint work :D :D

These are great, nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2017, 18:34:29 »
I just noticed that the Wagon Wheel is listed as having 240 White Shark launchers in place of of White Shark missiles.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2018, 14:09:45 »
Now that's a missile salvo worthy of David Weber!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Register