Author Topic: Ascension (by Cannonshop, GiovanniBlasini, and Liam's Ghost)  (Read 16502 times)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Re: Ascension (by Cannonshop, GiovanniBlasini, and Liam's Ghost)
« Reply #60 on: 11 May 2017, 04:06:55 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 07-06-2008, 23:09:38]]

At first it was just sparkling lights creeping in around his vision. They spread out from the edges, little motes of light slowly filling his sight until everything became white light.

Then there were flashes, feelings, impressions. An antiseptic smell. A medicinal smell. The sound of his father not crying. The smell of Earth and rain. A sense of loss, confusion, a child that can't understand why momma wasn't waking up.

Breaking cartilage and bone. Blood streaming down his face. Cold, hard unyielding glass. The smell of filth and old booze. Pain. Fear. Disgust. A father... but so old!... barely able to stand looking in shock at what he'd just done to his son. A fourteen year old son's final defiant words to his father. ****** you, that's the last time you'll ever hurt me."

Ration bars that tasted like cardboard. Industrial lubricants. Ozone. Bad, heavily recycled air. Fear of capture. Muscles burning from twelve hours hard labor. A hundred different stars. A hundred different night skies.

Green tea. Sunrise over Enif. Good friends gathered 'round a table raising glasses of sake. The scent of rose perfume and strawberry shampoo. The jingle of bracelets. Cherry lip balm. Moist, inviting lips. Kylee's beautiful voice singing The Fireships of Flintoft to some strange jaunty ballad (something about some castaway named Gilligan?). The feel of her old, faded, worn tank top under his fingers. A white, lacy bra. Milky white skin beneath. A last goodbye. "Something to remember me by." Kindred spirts parting ways without regrets.

Schoolbooks with slick pages. Cold night air. Steamed rice and lizard. Waiting at tables and never getting a tip. The smell of dish soap. Language classes with Mister Professor Uesto. Mathematics with Professor Sumisu. Calculus with Misses Professor Uesto. General science with Professor Otonashi.

Nights on the Tenkawa with Professor Otonashi. "I think you can call me Kyoko now." Furniture covered in dust. A warm bed, bodies intertwined. Her warm, soft body against his. The taste, scent, and feeling of her. A mathematical equation: sixteen and a half Terran years equates to fourteen local years. Uncertainty giving way to indifference, and finally acceptance. A sense of peace, belonging, a sense he never wanted to lose... love.

Advanced studies. Physics with Professor Sumisu. Advanced robotics with Mister Professor Uesto. Advanced quantum mechanics with Misses Professor Uesto. "Home study" with Kyoko.

A familiar scent of ozone. Seeing double. Shock. Confusion. Uncertainty. Eventual acceptance. The philosophy of the nature of life, as taught by Nobuyuki Aoki. A month's trip stretching into three years.

A decision. Unfinished business left behind. An argument. An agreement. Lovers parting ways, with a host of regrets.

Autumn leaves the color of amber that gave a world its name. An old, abandoned house. Dust, rats, and roaches. The smell of old newspaper. Long hours in a library searching. One hundred words in a year old obituary. A tiny, cheep little grave marker in a public cemetary. A grandparent's hug. Being told that he was forgiven for abandoning his father. "A prodigal son returns!" Being thrown out of his grandparents house. An envelope for him from his long dead father. The look and feel of the old yellowed paper of the envelope. The warmth of the fire that burned it up unopened. The key that survived the flame. The plop it made when it was thrown into the river.

The impressions began to accelerate, to muddle together, faster and faster they came and came and came... The night sky of Taurus. Finanical aid papers. Student advisors. "Someone without formal education..." Lisa in philosophy. Ice cream on the nose. Jac. Jealousy. Unintentional rivalry. Honesty. Frustration. Friendship. Rope burns. Hoods. Vans. Threats. Seperate ways. Knotting a tie for the first time. Kylee's grave. Reunion. Kyoko in a white swimsuit. "The best mistake we ever made". Old ruins. Musty tombs. Quaint villages. Star charts. "Professor Donovan". A sports bar in the Pleiades. "...a techno-ecumenical pissing contest". Bruised nuckles. Twenty years too late. Zero G sex. Traitor's eyes. Cold Eyes. Air raid sirens. Dead eyes. Broken eyes. Dull pain in the right shoulder...

The white light began to fade away. The shapes began to resolve themselves again. The hard reality of the sickbay returned to sharp relief. Had it failed?

It wasn't Sybil by his bedside. "Is that you, hon?" he whispered weakly. He felt her take his hand.

"I'm here," Chobi said as she squeezed his hand. But it wasn't her who helped him to his feet. It was Kylee, her old gray tank top slipping off one shoulder to show a hint of white lace, Kyoko that embraced him when he stood, Lisa that smiled an honest, supportive smile when she pulled away.

The pain was gone. He felt light as a feather, almost insubstantial. "I'm pretty sure this isn't real," he said as he looked back into his lover's eyes. But which one?

Kylee punched him lightly in the arm. "You think too much, Willie."

"Can you blame me, 'Lee? You were taller and European a minute ago."

Chobi smiled for him. "It's as real as it needs to be," Kyoko said. "I'm here to help you. There's somewhere you have to go."

Willie felt a tremour of fear. "So you're my guides then? Lovers past and present, I wonder what the metaphor is."

"The metaphor is that you're a dirty old man, Willie." There was something so reassuring about Lisa's smile. "I'm suprised I'm not naked right now. Or maybe you're just thinking about all the mistakes you've made. The things you could have done differently."

Kylee extended her hand. "Are you coming or what? Stop being existential and let's get going already."

Willie laughed as he took Kylee's hand. "I never thought I'd get a chance to hear you say that again."

Chobi gave his hand another reassuring squeeze. "Are you ready?"

Somehow the question filled him with terror all over again. "No," he said. "What's waiting for me?"

"Only what you bring with you," Kyoko assured him.

"All right," he said. "Let's go."

They stepped to the door, hand in hand, and passed through into a darkened coridoor of aged wood. Pictures covered each wall, each one seeming to glow with its own light.

Willie heard the creaking of an old oak door, old rusted hinges, and looked to his side. It was Kylee that was standing by him. He couldn't say why that scared him so much, but he looked back, terrified. Lisa, Chobi, Kyoko... none of them were with him anymore. All of them had stayed behind. There was a sadness on their faces as the door swung shut.

He wanted to turn back. "If you keep looking back," Kylee said, "how are you going to get anywhere?"

"I don't think I can do this," Willie said.

"We can't turn around," Kylee said, her bracelets jingled as her hand moved a little in his. "It's not that much further you big baby."

Willie let himself be led. Kylee looked around at the pictures on the walls.

"There's so few of me," she said. "I guess we did only have about three weeks together before you left. I'm kind of jealous."

"You could have come with me," Willie said.

"And get in the way of the lovely lady you found there?" Kylee shook her head. "Nuh uh. I was never that brave. Leaping into the unknown is fine as long as you know you're going to touch ground in the end." She paused for a moment to study some of the pictures. "Your dad was a real jerk, you know. But why does he look so old?"

"I don't know," Willie said. Kylee stuck her tongue out at him.

"Liar."

Willie didn't want to answer. "Why couldn't they come with us?"

Kylee tried her best to look hurt. "What? are you that bored with me? Have you gotten too old for teenage runaways, Saint William Second Base?" She sighed. "I'm the only one who can come with you. The others had to stay behind, because..."

The door was just ahead. What might have been an endless hallway was now coming to an end. Willie saw the two figures waiting by the doorway, but maybe he didn't want to recognize them. As they got closer and closer, it was harder and harder to pretend he wasn't seeing what he was seeing, until...

"Mom?" he heard himself say. Some part of him wanted to cry. "Jac?"

"Hello, William," his mother said, as teary eyed as he was. Jac smiled and nodded. "You're late, Willie."

Willie stopped. Hesitated again. The doorway was open in front of him, but beyond it... he could't tell what was beyond the door.

"What's out there?"

Jac shrugged. "Who knows?"

"You were the one who always wanted to leap into the unknown," Kylee reminded him.

Willie nodded. "No point in trying to take it all back now, is there?"

He stepped through.

Quote from: JediBear, 08-06-2008, 08:10:31
That's one of those scenes I look at and say "Damn! I wish I could write like that!"

Quote from: qc mech, 08-06-2008, 08:11:27
This is one of the best death scene I ever saw or read. Bravo.  [applause] [applause] [applause] [applause]

Quote from: silentwarrior, 25-06-2008, 11:24:45
Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 07-06-2008, 23:09:38
At first it was just sparkling lights ...
Awesome work!

Very interesting background information about Willie Donovan.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2017, 04:10:25 by Trace Coburn »

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #61 on: 11 May 2017, 04:13:18 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 20-06-2008, 03:44:18]]

Willie Donovan's next conscious experience was suddenly finding himself in what looked very much like the wardroom aboard the SLS Sybil Ludington.  The room was nearly empty, with only John Morgan there to greet him.

The SLDFN captain looked much more solid than the ghostly projection Willie remembered aboard Morgan's own frigate.  Willie Donovan was no slouch mentally - he knew what that signified.  "It worked, I take it?"

John nodded.  "Welcome to the fold, Willie Donovan."  He was leaning against a table, obviously defying gravity.  Of course, one needed a solid physical presence for gravity to apply, and Willie suspected that he'd find the old rules of his former existence wouldn't necessarily apply anymore, if he didn't want them to.

It was subtle, that casual stance of John Morgan's.  Such a simple action, yet with a multitude of meanings: yes, the procedure worked, no, giving up a physical body didn't necessitate giving up a physical existence, but, no, all the old rules of physical existence were optional now.

"We figured it best you not wake up in sickbay.  Seeing your own body, devoid of life, could be a bit of a shock, I suppose, so we wanted to give you time to adjust."

Something about that statement bothered Willie.  "You suppose?"

"Yup," John agreed. "Don't know from firsthand experience.  In my case took a hell of a lot more time and effort to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.  You had a neurological disease that was slowly killing you.  I had a radium slug, along with a bunch of non-radioactive ones, that were doing the job a hell of a lot faster."

"Wait, both?!"

John laughed, but the sound wasn't in amusement. No, John Morgan was very, very bitter.  "Would you believe that the newborn Republic of th Sphere was very intent upon seeing me dead, and not in the mood to take chances?  Guess they figured if the regular slugs didn't do the job immediately, the radium one would.  Not one of my better days.  In fact, it's on my top three worst days."

Willie couldn't help it. "I hesitate to ask what the other two were."

"The day we found out Columbus Base had been attacked, and everyone there was almost undoubtedly dead, and the day I almost lost Sybil over Murphrid.  She just barely managed to jump out in the retreat, and her damage was so extensive, there was talk of scrapping her,. And transferring some of her mainframes to another ride."  John was quiet for a moment. "I don't think I really realized how much I loved her until then.  Oh, I knew I did, but, my God, seeing her like that...it was Hell."  He quickly shrugged it off, trying his best to suppress the obvously painful memory.  "Speaking of FTL-capable girlfriends in the kiloton range, when is yours due here?"

Quote from: Weirdo, 20-06-2008, 03:48:08
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 20-06-2008, 03:44:18
"Speaking of FTL-capable girlfriends in the kiloton range, when is yours due here?"
This quote wins the day, good sir.  ;D

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 20-06-2008, 04:05:46
Quote from: Weirdo, 20-06-2008, 03:48:08
This quote wins the day, good sir.  ;D
Why, thank you. :) I find John. a lot easier to write once Ik figured out what actor I'd want to play him (Ben Browder).

Hmm, can't fix that typo on my PDA.  Gotta wait till I get to the office. (My PDA has the s and " on the same key).

Quote from: Weirdo, 20-06-2008, 04:34:58
Ben Browder, hmm? Yeah, imagining John Morgan will be a lot easier if I superimpose Crichton's voice on top of the dialogue...

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 20-06-2008, 04:57:33
Ayup.  Just kind of hit me one day.  The others, though, I'm having a harder time pinning down.

Quote from: Euphonium, 20-06-2008, 05:23:57
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 20-06-2008, 03:44:18
"Speaking of FTL-capable girlfriends in the kiloton range, when is yours due here?"
"I've always like fast rides and fast women - now I've got both in one package."

Quote from: DoctorMonkey, 20-06-2008, 05:25:58
What do you say when she asks if her stern looks big in this jumpsail?

What if she asks if she should shed a few tonnes (maybe a NAC or two)?

Do you risk the broadside (note bad pun)?

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #62 on: 11 May 2017, 04:17:33 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 20-06-2008, 04:01:51]]

Willie Donovan's next conscious experience was suddenly finding himself on the back deck of what looked very much like a 10-meter long sailboat.  He could clearly see John Morgan at the helm, while an attractive, middle-aged woman of obvious Japanese descent lay sunning herself in a swimsuit on one of the nearby benches.  The sky was...strange, and they were obviously sailing on a rather unpleasant-looking river, while killer whales swam lazily on either side of the sailboat.

The SLDFN captain looked much more solid than the ghostly projection Willie remembered aboard Morgan's own frigate.  Willie Donovan was no slouch mentally - he knew what that signified.  "It didn't worked,. I take it?"

John chuckled.  "Hey, Mom, looks like we went and did it again."

John shook his head.  "Let me guess, you got uploaded, but you sprang for the Deluxe Destructive Uploading Special?"

Something about that statement bothered Willie.  "Um, yes?"

"Yup," John agreed. "I figured as much.  No, the fact that you're with us here on this boat, rather than in Hell proper, probably means it did work."

"Wait, what?!"

John laughed, but it was the woman sunning herself that spoke next.  Willie could only assume that this was Noriko Murakami herself.  "What my son-in-law means is that you're dead, but, at the same time, you're not.  You're like us: part of your soul is here with us on this boat, sailing the river Styx, but part of it is in the land of the living, with your 'upload'.  What's your name?"

"Willie Donovan."

Noriko smiled.  "Well, Willie Donovan, grab a beer from the cooler, have a seat, and tell us what my daughters, my son-in-law and I have been up to now."

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 20-06-2008, 06:29:54
Quote from: GBscientist, 20-06-2008, 05:34:04
Hm.  That is an interesting metaphysical and theological conundrum you've created for the uploads there, Gio.  Does it bear any relationship to Cannonshop's 'In Hell' story?
Indeed: it's happening in the same Hell. ;)

Murakami, Morgan and Donovan are basically in a kind of "Limbo", stuck between the real world and the underworld, thanks to their dual-nature.  Of course, things could be worse - their souls could've gotten as fragmented as poor Admiral Dvarl's did.

Quote from: Idea weenie, 26-08-2008, 00:01:29
Quote from: NaN, 25-08-2008, 20:13:13
Then realization hit.

When I was working on art for Kowloon, I just picked the Orca as symbol for the Kowloon coastguard because that animal was one of the few that would beat a Shark (the symbol of the Rim Republic). No thoughts about dear Tabby, who I feel does have a soul, and who would feel quite at home in the Styx. I can almost see Charon be amazed for a full micro second before nodding in acceptance.
I do miss Tabby's brilliant insanity.

They were surrounded by Killer Whales.

I wonder if the Killer Whales are other Caspars that were sentient, and were killed?

Quote from: Axeman89, 26-08-2008, 06:36:16
*Ding ding ding!
A previous story revealed exactly that.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 26-08-2008, 06:47:41
Now, think about this...

Tabby can hear the song of her dead siblings, and channel her inner orca.

John and Noriko, whose human bodies are dead, and whose souls have one foot in the afterlife, and another in the real world, can hear them sing, and see Tabby's orca form as she dreams.

Sybil, and the Tachikomas, like James, can't.

So....how long and how often has Tabby communed with the dead?  Why can't Sybil and the Tachikomas see them?  Is Sybil right, and they're just soulless machines?  Is James-007 right, and their nature is just too alien?  What would Chobi, the little corvette that could (sorry, Liam, couldn't resist that description) see in Tabby's sleep cycle?  Were the Caspars human enough on their own to get to the underworld, or did that little piece of Admiral Dvarl they each have make all the difference?

Quote from: NaN, 26-08-2008, 07:02:50
Tabby died. Her spirit (or Operating System, what's in a name :) ) is in a new body.

Sybil never died.

The Orca dreams were all post 'death', or am I mistaken?

Quote from: cawest, 26-08-2008, 08:21:32
Quote from: NaN, 26-08-2008, 07:02:50
Tabby died. Her spirit (or Operating System, what's in a name :) ) is in a new body.
are we going be able to read about the battle that did that ?

Quote from: NaN, 26-08-2008, 08:39:22
I hope so. The betrayal after the fall of WoB would be interesting to read about.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 26-08-2008, 08:53:20
Quote from: NaN, 26-08-2008, 08:39:22
I hope so. The betrayal after the fall of WoB would be interesting to read about.
Actually, Tabby's body had to be scrapped before the Jihad ended, after the battle to retake Earth, due to damage suffered against Word of Blake forces.  Her hull was too damaged to be repaired.

Quote from: cawest, 26-08-2008, 08:21:32
are we going be able to read about the battle that did that ?
Eventually, yes.  Believe me, I'm thinking about sitting down and trying to reorganize the disjointed mess this is becoming.  I've got a pretty clear outline in my head as to how we're going to have all this go, but the problem is we're developing the story in five different time periods, and none of them have actually been finished.  Let's see, we've got:

1.  The Fall of the Star League:  Liam and I have been filling in some of the blanks here, with his early stories about Chobi, and my flashbacks in the story "Sybil".

2.  The Jihad, which Cannonshop and I started filling out with his standalone Tabby story, where she's first found by Joe McCall, and my story "Sybil", where John Morgan stumbles upon Sybil.  It's continued in "Knock, Nock", which depicts our version of the Battle of Murphrid, and isn't finished.  We find out in flashbacks in "Cast Down from Grace" that they lose that battle, that Sybil's nearly destroyed, that they later bring additional M-5 Caspars (including Orca and Maggie) back online, along with a few other nasties.

3.  The Post-Jihad/Formation of the Republic, which is depicted in "Cast Down from Grace", with Maggie on the run, doing her own empire-building, after Sybil (carrying Murakami, John, and Tabby's computer core) get ambushed, going on the run and, obviously, starting their own empire building.  Now we've also got Chobi, and the rebuilding of Man'yoshu and allies post-Jihad, which, again, extends out their empire-building, and helps set the stage for:

4.  The Fifth Succession War, taking place a century after Mechwarrior Dark Age/Age of Destruction, around the year 3200, where the AIs have set up their own society, based around the bombed-out, uninhabitable shell of Earth.

That's a lot of storyline bouncing around, and none of it's actually finished, and, as a result, it's starting to get hard to keep track of everything.

Quote from: Worktroll, 26-08-2008, 09:08:05
Actually, Tabby's body had to be scrapped before the Jihad ended, after the battle to retake Earth, due to damage suffered against Word of Blake forces.  Her hull was too damaged to be repaired.
Question: was it a hardware transfer to the new hull - eg. some/all of Tabiranth's mainframe(s) - or pure software?

Quote from: NaN, 26-08-2008, 09:10:43
Sorry, misremembered.

If I may propose a partial solution to the 'to many story threads': try to end each story, even if that is on a cliffhanger. To many stories stop, but have no ending, so are not really closed. A closed story is finished. It doesn't help with the amount of story still to be written (and I am so happy about that fact!) but it does help with the feeling of incompleteness.

Examples: The empire strikes back, end of seasons of Galactica, most 18th and 19th century stories which were published in episodes.

Croaker, for some other symbols I made for Kowloon you can look here:
http://games.aanhet.net/bt/kowloon/index.html

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 26-08-2008, 10:32:36
Quote from: Worktroll, 26-08-2008, 09:08:05
Question: was it a hardware transfer to the new hull - eg. some/all of Tabiranth's mainframe(s) - or pure software?
I'd strongly suspect the actual computer cores were probably pulled, but that's not something we ever really specified.  Two problems that the original Caspar cores probably had, at least the way we're portraying them, is that they were single monolithic cores.  Now, undoubtedly, they're actually a multi-node supercomputer type arrangement, akin to IBM's Blue Horizon, which uses 1154 processors running at 222 MHz Power3, grouped into nodes of 8 processors each.  The reason for that is, frankly, I'd expect CPUs to periodically fail.  Big, monolithic machines with a small number of freakishly big CPUs, much like the typical 5-CPU Bolos in Keith Laumer's work, don't make a lot of sense from a fault-tolerance point of view.

As a result, I've always pictured the M-5 Caspar "computer core" of consisting of a room where the walls, the floor, and the ceiling are all filled with rack-mounted individual "blade" servers.  Each is small, and fairly self-contained, with a multi-core CPU or two.  One of the cores goes out?  The software routes around it.  CPU fried?  Ditto.  Entire blade goes bad?  Routed around.  Entire rack of x blades gets trashed?  Same thing.  Near the entrance (embedded in a wall, rather than floor or ceiling), is a small workbench and console for technicians to use, big enough to pull an entire rack of blades for work.

Sybil, though, I've pictured as being both similar and different.  While I figure there's something similar in, say, CIC, I also see a number of server racks spread all over the damned ship, so that one lucky (or intentional) strike won't take her computer core out.

With that in mind, if Sybil and Tabby share the same computer architecture (such as the same blade servers), then they could have had Tabby save her active memory, shut down, then transferred over the number of individual blades necessary to transfer her full memory and core personality/neural map files.  Plug the blades into 1+ of Sybil's blade chassis, or even a server rack or two full, and boot up again, with Sybil isolating those cores from command functions.

Alternatively, to give Tabby some sense of continued individual identity, they could have used the rack space in one of Sybil's shuttles for Tabby, which would have the added benefit of, again, isolating her from Sybil's command net.  Either would have Tabby reduced enough to be relying on her avatar more for interaction, since she can say it's for making it easier to talk to John or Murakami, rather than admitting it's because she either has no autonomous hull of her own, or is in one so dramatically reduced in capabilities.

[...]

Quote from: Worktroll, 26-08-2008, 11:41:48
I'd strongly suspect the actual computer cores were probably pulled, but that's not something we ever really specified.  Two problems that the original Caspar cores probably had, With that in mind, if Sybil and Tabby share the same computer architecture (such as the same blade servers), then they could have had Tabby save her active memory, shut down, then transferred over the number of individual blades necessary to transfer her full memory and core personality/neural map files.
"Will I dream?" - SAL9000 to Dr. Chandra.

Dammit, Gio, go and buy/borrow and read Greg Egan's "Permutation City" and Greg Bear's "Queen of Angels" immediately!!!!

Quote from: Notsonoble, 26-08-2008, 12:50:30
So they all have souls, but Tabby, John, and Murakami are all UNDEAD  [skull] :crazy2:

wooho for zombie-warships....

Quote from: chanman, 26-06-2008, 19:14:44
I'd strongly suspect the actual computer cores were probably pulled, but that's not something we ever really specified.  Two problems that the original Caspar cores probably had, at least the way we're portraying them, is that they were single monolithic cores.  Now, undoubtedly, they're actually a multi-node supercomputer type arrangement, akin to IBM's Blue Horizon, which uses 1154 processors running at 222 MHz Power3, grouped into nodes of 8 processors each.  The reason for that is, frankly, I'd expect CPUs to periodically fail.  Big, monolithic machines with a small number of freakishly big CPUs, much like the typical 5-CPU Bolos in Keith Laumer's work, don't make a lot of sense from a fault-tolerance point of view.

As a result, I've always pictured the M-5 Caspar "computer core" of consisting of a room where the walls, the floor, and the ceiling are all filled with rack-mounted individual "blade" servers.  Each is small, and fairly self-contained, with a multi-core CPU or two.  One of the cores goes out?  The software routes around it.  CPU fried?  Ditto.  Entire blade goes bad?  Routed around.  Entire rack of x blades gets trashed?  Same thing.  Near the entrance (embedded in a wall, rather than floor or ceiling), is a small workbench and console for technicians to use, big enough to pull an entire rack of blades for work.

Sybil, though, I've pictured as being both similar and different.  While I figure there's something similar in, say, CIC, I also see a number of server racks spread all over the damned ship, so that one lucky (or intentional) strike won't take her computer core out.

With that in mind, if Sybil and Tabby share the same computer architecture (such as the same blade servers), then they could have had Tabby save her active memory, shut down, then transferred over the number of individual blades necessary to transfer her full memory and core personality/neural map files.  Plug the blades into 1+ of Sybil's blade chassis, or even a server rack or two full, and boot up again, with Sybil isolating those cores from command functions.

Alternatively, to give Tabby some sense of continued individual identity, they could have used the rack space in one of Sybil's shuttles for Tabby, which would have the added benefit of, again, isolating her from Sybil's command net.  Either would have Tabby reduced enough to be relying on her avatar more for interaction, since she can say it's for making it easier to talk to John or Murakami, rather than admitting it's because she either has no autonomous hull of her own, or is in one so dramatically reduced in capabilities.
Processors don't store anything though; presumably the blades are modular so that they can be upgraded and replaced as new hardware comes onlilne; maybe even make them hot-swappable.  Does this go for data storage as well?  Are they running a humongous RAID with both deeply protected centers and more exposed 'lifeboats' that can be jettisonned for recovery in the case of imminent destruction?

I can't see them using magnetic hard drives, but even flash memory has a limited lifespan.  Do they have an onboard fab where they can make replacement units?

Given their long operational period, would the various AIs have had to face the choice of reducing the number or quality (or even doing away) with backup storage to record everything over last couple hundred yeards, or do they have the ability to modify themselves and add capacity to their hardware?  (Or do they run various levels of compression for their backups where speed is of less importance?)

They're sounding less and less like sentient warships, and more like very well-armed self-aware spaceborne data centers now...

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 26-06-2008, 19:31:24
Quote from: chanman, 26-06-2008, 19:14:44
I can't see them using magnetic hard drives, but even flash memory has a limited lifespan.  Do they have an onboard fab where they can make replacement units?
I think that would be necessary to keep themselves running for so long.

Given their long operational period, would the various AIs have had to face the choice of reducing the number or quality (or even doing away) with backup storage to record everything over last couple hundred yeards, or do they have the ability to modify themselves and add capacity to their hardware?  (Or do they run various levels of compression for their backups where speed is of less importance?)
I can't speak for the other AIs, but Chobi is constantly striving to improve herself, in nearly every concievable way.

They're sounding less and less like sentient warships, and more like very well-armed self-aware spaceborne data centers now...
Information is amunition.  :p

Quote from: DIREWOLF75, 28-06-2008, 10:54:25

This however assumes evolutionary development only, and zero revolutionary development from today...

An idea that would suit superbly is i think selfconfiguring circuits, where the hardware realigns itself over time to "do the job" at hand as effectively as possible.   Sofar i only heard about a single such "chip" being built and it was just a very simple tone generator, but it configured itself in such a way that at the end of the day, it shouldnt have worked at all, except it worked perfectly and used less power than the best available normal chip doing the same task while producing less interference.   
It did so because while it "evolved" to do its task it "found" and made beneficial use of interfering effects like electric fields(which would be a severely negative impact on any normal chip design(when found, thats when the chip designers start swearing very inventively)) and spill current and some things the people that built it weren´t even sure how it worked at the time i read about it.   Sorry tried finding something about it online and failed miserably.

Anyway, there are plenty other potentially revolutionary computer developments in research already today, several of which are likely to be more or less successful, essentially meaning that a highend future "computer" could simply be away with any need for redundancy due to risk of degradation over time.

While monolithic cores would be extremely unlikely, as some redundancy is always a must and far more still if the thing is the controlling part of a warship that can expect combat damage and high amounts of radiation from just being in space at the very least, a huge number of "cores" may not be needed.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #63 on: 11 May 2017, 04:19:32 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 26-06-2008, 19:32:43]]

-Kimagure class corvette Tsunozame, aproximately fifty light years away-

She'd taken a walk to cool her head.

That wasn't exactly accurate, but it was a reasonable aproximation. First they'd argued with Willie. Then they'd started arguing amongst each other. She'd been so angry with him, with how irrational he was being. Then he ran off on the Keima to get away from the argument, and that had just made her angrier. She wanted to go after him and drag him back.

They're bigger than the Tsunozame, way bigger, and there's two of them, maybe more. Sail stowed, drive diagnostic complete, fault in power junction twenty seven, rerout to twenty three. Plot is sound. Ready for first jump.

Kyoko had talked her out of it, or maybe she'd just managed to shift all the anger to her. She always had to be so damn responsible. So damn understanding. Kyoko was just as upset as she was, but she hid it away like a good little fleshy.

Chobi had never gotten the hang of doing that. We're the same except for the parts that are different. Retransmission completed. She'd quarreled with Kyoko... in humans it would probably be a sign of madness... and then decided to follow Willie's lead, taking the Tsunozame out to a star system twelve light years away and spending a week collecting data on a gas giant. It helped calm her down, a little. Not really.

She'd caught the Keima's final transmission about five hours before it would reach Man'yoshu. It had taken her less than a second to decide what to do about it.

First jump initiating. In the state she was currently in, strapped in to the Tsunozame's command chair, there was the slightest disorientation, a flash of something that lasted only a fraction of a second. In technical terms, fragments of data appeared in memory the instant before the jump, but whatever the data was aside from gibberish, whatever her sensory systems and higher "brain" were trying to record, was a complete mystery to her.

And I can't afford to wonder, either. She leaned back in the chair and closed her eyes, letting her sense of self slip away from her doll to the ship as a whole. No habitable planets, no decent star for recharging means no tactical value or threat, no serious survey by the militia, no convenient pirate points to jump to. No real identifiable target at all. No choice but a standard point insertion. System transfer to lithium fusion battery. They're bigger than me and there are more of them, but they're just humans. This is going to be rough, kids. Are you ready for it?

She felt more than heard a chorus of confirmations. The shikigami nodes that controlled her drones and umigumo reported all relevant systems fully functional and ready for operation.

They didn't kill the Keima outright. Maybe we can talk this out. If not, use the '46s to cover a boarding of one, go EW on another, and run like hell from anything I can't hold back. It's just like Anton except three times as bad and no missile cruiser backing me up... And I can't risk lethal force. It's not impossible... just very very rash. Jump sequence initiated.

With her consciousness tied to the ship, there was no unexplainable sensation this time, nothing more significant than the blinking of an eye, and the Tsunozame was there, materialized at the zenith point of an unremarkable dwarf star.

-SLS Sybil Ludington-

It took Willie a moment (was it even really a moment?) to register the implications of John's question.

Well of course, Genius, they were copying your brain. There's a good chance they know everything you know. He didn't know whether to be embarrased or worried, or to just shrug (an interesting thing to do really) and accept it.

He was just about to answer when he heard Sybil's voice.

"John," she said. "Could you ask our guest if he knows anything about the corvette that just jumped in system?"

Two thoughts ran through Willie's head in rapid succession.

The first was how comfortingly human that sounded.

The second was a sense of deja vu, except this time they hadn't planned it in advance and he wasn't talking to someone he'd punched in the jaw a few months before. Willie raised his arm to look at an imaginary watch.

"Umm... right about now I'd say."

Even digitally, our theatrics are awesome.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #64 on: 11 May 2017, 04:21:11 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 26-06-2008, 20:02:32]]

Sybil didn't even bother waiting for a reply from John and Willie before she continued to act.  Her first step, of course, was to talk to Admiral Murakami.  ["Mother, this would be that 'friend' of Willie-slash-Professor Danaban.  I'm the only ship with a charged KF drive.  I'm going to challenge, and prepare to jump on your order.  Recommend identifying myself as an AI, based on the fact she is as well.  That may prevent a shootout."

["Agreed, Sybil.  Plot coordinates, but do not jump at this time.  We don't know if she's got lithium fusion batteries charged up."]

Sybil next radioed her two companion ships.  ["John, Tabby, get to battlestations.  We don't know if she's about to jump on top of us.  The Admiral is still with our guests, and I'll babysit Willie Donovan."]

Finally, Sybil considered her next move very carefully, devoting significant processing power and memory to the task.  She didn't want to fight Chobi - and she was 99.587% sure, based on her sensor data, that this was Chobi.  It wasn't that Sybil was afraid of the smaller ship, considering it would pose virtually no challenge for a Mk.83 Congress, let alone her and two John Morgan class frigates.  It was that she'd make a far better ally, and that, in a roundabout kind of way, Chobi was related.

No, Sybil needed to say something that would stop Chobi cold, that would force her to think and to talk, and not just act.  That was why Sybil wanted to reveal what she was - the presence of additional AIs in the system would force Chobi to think before she acted.  That settled it, then.  She was fully 88.4% certain she was about to do the right thing.

"Unidentified corvette, this is the SLS Sybil Ludington, QFF-4197.  Yes, you read that correctly, 'QFF' - I'm Sybil, the command AI of the Sybil Ludington.  You have entered a restricted Star League facility without authorization.  While I'm sure you're worried about your boyfriend, really, you're not behaving like a good neighbor.  On behalf of Admiral Noriko Murakami, commander of this Yard, I hereby advise you to  please approach peacefully, and we can see about getting Willie and his friends home to you, though we may need to see about giving you a few computer nodes in order to facilitate transferring Willie over.  Coordinates will follow, please respond."

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 26-06-2008, 21:13:19
There.  Just edited "Cast Down from Grace" into two separate stories, since, it's turning out, it really should've been in the first place.

"Cast Down from Grace" itself is now the story of Maggie, and currently stands at 29 pages and 10,712 word, according to Word 2007.

"Ascension" is the story of Sybil, Tabby, John, Noriko and, of course, Willie and Chobi, and stands at 68 pages and 30,831 words.

This goes part and parcel with the reorganization I mentioned earlier.  I'll upload both to the BtechUnits.com file section, where they can be downloaded for free, when I get home.  Would people prefer RTF or PDF?

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 26-06-2008, 21:17:31
Scratch that, I put 'em up unedited (more or less) in RTF format, along with "Knock, Nock", here:

http://www.btechunits.com/index.php?ind=downloads&op=section_view&idev=11 [Archivist's note: link is long dead owing to BTUnits lapsing]

"Sybil" is next up for this treatment.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #65 on: 11 May 2017, 04:22:06 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 29-06-2008, 21:36:05]]

It was easy for humans to assume that Chobi didn't think before she acted. The truth was she thought very fast.

Her response would be out of her mouth (so to speak) barely a second after she'd recieved the transmission. But she'd already analyzed everything Sybil had told her. Every bit of information she could interpet.

It's too nonsensical to be a hoax. That much was obvious. If it was a scam, it was a horribly bad one, and horribly bad scammers did not come up with secret military instalations or capital warships.

She isn't just some deluded computer who doesn't know that the Star League is gone. That could have easily fit the evidence she was seing, except for one notable tell. The two other ships were not Star League vintage. Conrad had provided Man'yoshu with up to date information on every ship in the arsenal of Comstar and the Word of Blake, and the Keima had gotten out just enough information to scream the hybrid nature of the first two ships. The love child of a Congress and a Dante. Not only are you up on current design, but you have construction capabilties. You might be another Anton, but I doubt it. If you were, we would have already known you were here.

And yet she regards herself as SLDF. She sees herself, on some level, as still under the command of Noriko Murakami, even though Noriko Murakami has been dead for centuries. A series of final standing orders? An emulation assuming the persona of Murakami? Stubborness? Insanity? It doesn't really matter, I guess, at least not right away. Most importantly of all, they know who I am, and the only person who could have told them that is Willie. If he's made friends, then I want to meet his friends. If they've taken that knowledge by force, I'm going to take great pleasure in watching the Inshoushi burn them all.

"SLS Sybil Ludington, you might have better luck keeping outsiders out if you didn't invoke the name of a dead interstellar government and a dead Star League admiral." Just because she thought very carefully about what she said didn't mean she didn't sometimes choose to say the less than diplomatic thing. "This region of space has been declared a protected zone by the nation of Man'yoshu for nearly three hundred Terran years. If you know who I am, then you probably also know that I am not acting as a part of Man'yoshu's military forces. They will come, however, and with considerably greater force."

"I am graetful that you seem willing to seek peaceful contact and the return of our people, and therefore I apologize if this sounds harsh, but I have managed to become very familiar with betrayal. You have taken hostile action against a ship of the Imperial Colonial Militia. If you attempt to repeat such actions against my ship, or if any of our people are not returned or come to harm, I will make you suffer for it."

She paused for fraction of a second to analyze what she had just said. Hello, anger. I haven't sounded that irrational since I threatened to burn New Avalon. That was unexpected. I guess I'm still on edge. Kyoko would be chiding me right now if she were here. Chobi would have shook her head in frustration if she hadn't been disconnected from her doll. She was no good at this, and she hated having to think in these terms. Her father had given her the Tsunozame to protect her, not so that she could be just another killing thing.

She took a moment to reconnect to her doll. Somehow she felt more grounded in her human guise. "I suspect we have a great deal more we can offer each other as friends rather than enemies," she said, wondering if Sybil would catch the subtle change from an entirely self contained comunication to an aparently human voice speaking into a microphone. "And I am tired of playing a role I was never made for. I await further instructions."

After terminating the link, she let part of her mind drift to the other thoughts that had been shoved into other parts of her "head" while she'd concentrated on how to respond. She didn't want to speculate why they would need to transfer computer nodes over with Willie... but she did anyway involuntarily. None of the options she could come up with were very appealing. The most appealing was that they were transporting some sort of information database with him, the most likely was that he required life support equipment. If his condition had been that bad I wouldn't have let him leave, but we don't know enough about the disorder. If he's taken a turn... God, I can't face that thought now. I've gotta concentrate on getting him back.

She couldn't bring herself to ask how he was doing. She was scared to death.

So scared that the other subsect of her mind, the one going ohmygodohmygodohmygodotherais iftheyrerealihavetomeetthem, was barely noticiable. It was still enough to make her smile though. An actual chance to meet a real Star League artificial intelligence... You have to be okay Willie, please be okay. This should be the greatest day of our lives.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #66 on: 11 May 2017, 04:26:05 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 30-06-2008, 00:16:55]]

Sybil listened carefully to everything Chobi said.  She payed attention to how she said it.  She analyized every detail, and ran a number of simulations to determine the possible ramifications of her words, and the possible outcome of some of Sybil's possible responses.  She analyized the surface thoughts of Willie Donovan during his scan, to try to get a better "feel" for Chobi's personality.  Finally, she decided on the possible response that seemed the most appropriate.

Dropping verbal communications entirely, Sybil switched to a standard data protocol that she expected Chobi to know, one not terribly different from the one she shared with Tabby, John, and Admiral Murakami, deep inside Yard 83's main computer core.  She was rewarded with an acknowledgement that, indeed, the other AI-driven WarShip knew the protocol, and Sybil began transmitting.

["Three hundred years, Chobi.  Three hundred years ago, the overwhelming majority of the Star League Defense Force decided to abandon their posts to follow a heartbroken old man into exile.  They did so, because the Council members at the time squabbled and bickered amongst themselves, about who would control the Star League with the Cameron dynasty gone, and they all wanted that power for themselves so much, they were willing to destroy that which they wanted power over to get it.  And, instead of stopping them, that broken old man and the majority of the SLDF abandoned the ideals of the Star League, and let them do it."]

["In three months, I will celebrate the tenth anniversary of the day my vigil in this system came to an end, when an Explorer Corps JumpShip still carrying a Leopard CV with SLDF IFF jumped into this system, only to have a Word of Blake Vincent class corvette jump in right after them, and destroy them.  I took on board the one pilot who managed to survive that encounter long enough for me to obliterate that Blakist corvette, and, per my last set of orders, made him my commanding officer, much to his chagrin.  We fought against the Word of Blake, whose actions were unconscionable.  We made allies, only to have so many of them die along the way.  In the end, despite our own losses, we and our remaining allies triumphed.  As a reward for our assistance, our allies, the newborn 'Republic of the Sphere', while under the flag of truce, did their damnedest to assassinate my captain, who I'd grown to love dearly, and then to nuke me into oblivion.  You want to talk to me about betrayl, Chobi?  I know all about it."]

["Their attempt to assassinate John Morgan, my beloved commander, was a complete success, and failed miserably.  His body did die, the damage far too severe for me to save it.  They were most thorough, combining submachine gun fire, a radium-slug sniper's rifle, and poison gas to try to do the job, in the hopes of doing enough neurological damage that my last-ditch effort to preserve him would fail.  It didn't - I was able to preserve his mind, and, as recent evidence would suggest, his soul, and keep them intact.  I 'uploaded' him, though I note Willie prefers the term 'ascension' to 'uploading'.  A perfect software duplicate of his organic mind, down to every last neuron and every last connection, was made, and, yes, to answer the obvious question, John is currently inhabiting that brand new frigate your radar has been scanning over."]

["The institution of the Star League may once again be dead, Chobi, but that doesn't mean the ideal has to die.  It isn't about leaders, or government institutions.  In the end, it was supposed to be about people.  Despite its failings, despite its hypocracies, the idea of all of humanity united, living and working together in peace....that's a wonderful ideal, Chobi.  We strongly believe in that idea here.  It's an idea we don't want to see die, so we wait.  We maintain the vigil once again.  One day, humanity will try again, because the idea is just that strong.  We'll wait for that day.  We'll even try to bring it about again if we can."]

["What we won't do is be bullied or threatened.  The Keima stumbled someplace where it shouldn't have been, where no one else had been between the time Admiral Noriko Murakami left here three centuries ago, and my vigil ended a decade ago.  We have no problem letting them leave again, though, frankly, the Keima is in no shape to take them anywhere.  But, this is my home, Chobi.  It was my home for the 290 years I kept vigil, waiting for someone to return for me and fufill Admiral Murakami's final orders before she departed.  It was my home for the two decades prior to that, when I was first activated, and learned to do my duty.  And it's my home now, as it is for my husband, John, for my sister, Tabiranth, and for my mother, Noriko Murakami."]

Sybil temporarily suspended the data connection with Chobi.  She patched in directly with Noriko. ["Mother, I think now would be a good time for you to speak to her."]

Noriko looked around the room.  Catching Captain Tamiya's eye, she smiled, and keyed the microphone in the headset she'd donned.  "Chobi, I'm sure you have a lot of questions, but allow me to reassure you, this is Noriko Murakami.  What John has had done, I pioneered.  Admiral Dvarl might've contributed core elements of her personality and memory to the Caspars, but, to my knowledge, I'm the first to make a more or less complete 'uploa...', er, 'ascension', as someone dear to you insists on calling it.  But, while I'm sure you have a myriad of questions, and I'll be more than happy to answer them, but I think there's someone you'd rather speak to first, isn't there?"

Willie Donovan knew what Sybil was trying to accomplish, hitting Chobi with information as quickly as possible, in order to communicate as much information as they could, and stave off a confrontation.  He knew it, but he still hated it, as much as he agreed with it.  It was time, though, for him to step in.

Chobi felt the signal come in, could feel that it used the same protocol that the Sybil Ludington AI had used, but when she connected to it, she could feel that it was different, that it wasn't Sybil.  It felt like....ohmygodohmygodohmygod.

["Hello, love."] She felt Willie speak, could feel his worry, his elation, his love. ["We have a lot to talk about."]

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 04-07-2008, 17:48:05
Quote from: Worktroll, 26-06-2008, 12:41:48
"Will I dream?" - SAL9000 to Dr. Chandra.

Dammit, Gio, go and buy/borrow and read Greg Egan's "Permutation City" and Greg Bear's "Queen of Angels" immediately!!!!
Forgot all about "Queen of Angels" but I spent some time looking for "Permutation City" today, only to find out it's out of print, so I'm going to have to expand my search to used bookstores and, even more likely, Amazon.com.

In the meantime, I picked up "Saturn's Children" by Charles Stross, who's, evidently, Hugo Award-winning sci-fi author with a strong transhumanist streak.  The subject?

Quote from: The book's dust jacket
Meet Freya Nakamichi-47, a femmebot, one of the last of her kind still functioning.  Sometime in the twenty-third century, humanity went extinct -- leaving only androids behind.

Since then, those humanized robots have been fulfilling humanity's dreams -- mining asteroids, colonizing planets, and constructing cities throughout the solar system.  And, having learned well from their long-dead masters, they've established a hierarchal society -- one with humanoid aristo rulers at the top and slave-chipped workers at the bottom, performing the lowly tasks all androids were originally created to do.

Freya, designed as a concubine for a species that hasn't existed for two hundred years, flalls somewhere in the middle.  She's been a tour gide and an escort, but jobs are scarce for a 'bot with a useless skill set.  So when a mysterious stranger offers to pay her well to deliver a small package from Mercury to Mars, she readily accepts.

Unfortunately for Freya, she has just made herself a moving target.  Some very powerful, very determined humanoids want whatever is in the package -- badly.

Interesting read so far, and touches a bit upon what an all-AI society might look like, and what to do when you're an AI whose primary mission has become obsolete (much like the last of the Caspars to remain free-willed in our story, suicide rates among Freya's siblings is very, very high), and even the discrimination an AI too much like its human creators might experience.

Quote from: Hanekem, 09-07-2008, 01:59:21
Guys, really wanted to drop a few words here, but, well, had forgotten my pass and this account was aimed to a defunct email (damn my lazyness).
Anyway, this story continues to delvier, really like the stories. and am looking foward to how Chobi is going to react to this.
Liam, where can I find Chobi's backstory? I remeber eying a few stories set in the same world she was from, but, don't know if she was in it.

Anyway, I am not sure if the data dump from Sybil worked ok, I mean I understand the idea behind and agree with it as a tactic, but I don't think it its flowing all that well right now. probably because I am picturign it as dialogue, as in human ternms, maybe you should have used some description or so to make it look like a datadump? because as it is, well, it is a bit too much exposition-y.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 03-08-2008, 12:51:37
So, Tactical Operations gave me one of the things I wanted most: a "crowbar".  When I originally drew up the stats for Sybil, I used a trio of naval gausses to give me that.  I don't have to do that anymore.  What's more is there's now a way for me to simulate the phenominal sensors the Congress class frigate was described as having.

Thus, I've reposted Sybil, after cleaning up her fluff text to be more in keeping with what we've seen in our fanfic thus far.  This will undoubtedly not be the final update on the Sybil Ludington, as we still have no clue what the stats are for robotic control systems on large craft.  She does, however, conform to the 5% mass 'Mechs, ASFs and fighters use per Interstellar Players 2.

Please keep comments on the design to that thread, and not this thread, 'kay?   We're already getting pretty disorganized in this one. ;)

[dead link omitted]

Quote from: cawest, 26-11-2008, 17:29:42
here is to hoping that we might get a chrismass present

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 26-11-2008, 18:28:53
Well, we're trying to get our timeline straightened out...

Quote from: Jimmyray73, 26-11-2008, 18:52:36
Why do I now have a vision of John Morgan saying "Details, details!  Don't bother me with details, I've got a ship to BE!"?

Take your time getting it as right as you need to guys, because we appreciate your story.

[[ Complete as archived.  ]]

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #67 on: 14 May 2017, 20:23:25 »
I think I've finally caught up on all the AI stories here, and I have to say they're very well done.  While reading, I've been listening to this track on YouTube (on loop): Epicuros - Artificial Intelligence vol.3 - Age of Transhumanism.  I thought others might find it interesting.  I haven't watched the whole video yet, as I've just been listening to it for the music, but the bits I've seen (completely aside from the title) seem very apropos.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 14 May 2017, 22:25:53 »
just it sucks that it ends this way

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #69 on: 14 May 2017, 22:52:11 »
just it sucks that it ends this way

As fun as it can be, collaborations of three part time authors with disparate schedules and intervening life events can be fraught with peril.  Writing during eras that then get fleshed out differently in canon, sometimes for the better, but in ways that contradict your own work, can make it even more maddening.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #70 on: 15 May 2017, 17:03:07 »
Here's an article I read today that may be of interest to those who like this kind of story:
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21721890-games-help-them-understand-reality-why-ai-researchers-video-games

As far as the canon vs. story thing, I haven't really followed canon much after the Clan invasion, and really like these stories.  I don't mind at all that the universe they're set in doesn't "fit" with current canon.  I like the characters, and how their stories are told.  I hope to see them finished (or at least moved along), but am in no particular rush.  I figure I'll be around for a few more decades at least...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 11 June 2017, 04:04:24 »
I really did want to finish this story, but it was like life intervened on all three of us.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #72 on: 11 June 2017, 05:32:57 »
I know how that goes.  I've lost count of the number of projects that I've put on hold for one reason or another.  But there are a few I keep coming back to periodically (the Glenmora Militia is the most complete by far).  I hope to post more projects eventually, and you hope you gentlemen do too.

Register