Author Topic: Touring the Star Series  (Read 2130 times)

Marauder

• Recruit
Touring the Star Series
« on: 18 May 2017, 09:37:04 »
any comments on that series, they are just 2.99 still i wonder if it is worth it.  I dont find much info on that series?

M.
--
Quote of the day:
"As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature produces better idiots!!!" :)

Marauder
mechground.com

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Re: Touring the Star Series
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2017, 09:54:36 »
I've enjoyed each one that I've read, but I've wanted a tour of Inner Sphere planets for a while now, so your mileage may vary. 

The recent one with the rules for mech-scale sporting events (can't remember which that was) might be a good one to start with.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2017, 10:18:44 »
They tend to give quite detailed information on the planet/system they are focused on.  As far as most games are concerned, that level of detail is often very good for A Time of War RPG campaigns, but is not as directly useful for other levels of gameplay.

They do include a world map which is useful for larger scale (probably battleforce level) conflicts on the single planet.

As ActionButler mentioned, there are exceptions which have different levels of game-play in mind.

Generally speaking though, these books are a great way to get flavor for specific worlds, and sometimes larger conflicts/areas, or to cherry pick parts to put into a world with less information about it.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2017, 12:58:37 »
I bought a couple, but not all of them. I see them as a short story full of fluff combined with the game elements needed for running a quick flavor-mission based on that planet. It isn't really setting up a campaign for you, just providing the story and basics to run a fight with some extra flavor. For $3, I've felt they are a fair deal. I don't feel the need to collect every one, but I think it's nice having them available.

Marauder

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2017, 18:23:39 »
TY all for your replies, I love the fluff, ill get a few a see how they go..

Thank You for your replies

M.
--
Quote of the day:
"As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature produces better idiots!!!" :)

Marauder
mechground.com

bigmac

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2017, 19:19:14 »
Touring the Stars - Noisel is the one that you want for something different.  It provides the rules and maps for you to play baseball, hockey, football, tennis, soccer, rugby, basketball, volleyball, and chess with battlemechs.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2017, 02:38:13 »
I think they're excellent, a great way of fleshing out the feel of the setting. To be fair, though, I'm a sucker for this kind of fluff, so YMMV.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2017, 04:16:11 »
I think they're excellent, a great way of fleshing out the feel of the setting. To be fair, though, I'm a sucker for this kind of fluff, so YMMV.
My thoughts exactly.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2017, 15:39:27 »
Well when you really think of it, that's exactly what they are focused on.
I mean for years I heard fans (including myself) say stuff like "We need a big book on all the systems of this Universe."
Plus we need something that potential RPG fans could use for their adventures.
Even more there's always that itch to find fun ways to mix the various terrain and environment rules into something unique.
Then there's that wonderful entry way for new writers to cut their teeth on something for this Universe.

CGL merely bounded those points, and others I'm probably missing, into a digital release all for the cost of a value meal at your local fast food joint.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2017, 19:54:14 »
  I've purchased most of them.  In fact I think I have every Touring the Stars for still "living" planets.  I'm very much into world building so I like the details on how different planets operate, what the day to day routines are like, etc.  They help flesh out the universe by giving you a fairly detailed peak into a small corner of it.

If your one of those people that loves to look into the cultures, societies, and economies of fictional universes the Touring Stars series are an amazing resource.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

J.R.R Tolikien, The Two Towers

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2017, 23:51:53 »
honestly, i think cherry picking interesting worlds is way better than trying to detail out the thousands of worlds.. for one, you'd not be able to do any real detail in an every-world approach, unless you want a product larger than several dozen encyclopedia brittanica's. and even then, you'd not be able to get all that in depth.

plus, it would be a ridiculous amount of work. not to mention, the high risk of contradicting existing information by mistake, and the fact that a lot of worlds are, frankly.. not all that important. and the entries would get awfully repetitive too, especially for the not-so-important ones.

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2017, 15:49:10 »
Not bought them all but Butte Hold is my personal favourite so far.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2017, 18:29:12 »
I like them, they got lots of great info and a lot of good fluff.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Highball

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2017, 18:37:21 »
honestly, i think cherry picking interesting worlds is way better than trying to detail out the thousands of worlds.. for one, you'd not be able to do any real detail in an every-world approach, unless you want a product larger than several dozen encyclopedia brittanica's. and even then, you'd not be able to get all that in depth.

plus, it would be a ridiculous amount of work. not to mention, the high risk of contradicting existing information by mistake, and the fact that a lot of worlds are, frankly.. not all that important. and the entries would get awfully repetitive too, especially for the not-so-important ones.

If you speak German then there is already a Atlas of the Inner Sphere book. It is a shame something cannot be worked out to get an English version.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Atlas_der_Inneren_Sph%C3%A4re
Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2017, 17:03:03 »

I agree that cherry picking the interesting worlds is the most workable option.  I would also suggest making a master list which gives major characteristics of all the worlds.  Just like TOEs give average skill levels, loyalty ratings, postings, and equipment ratings for each regiment, Catalyst could do the same for each world.  Characteristics could include approximate population, average temperature relative to Terra, surface gravity, technology rating, economic rating, days to jump point, coordinates relative to Terra, etc.

Register