Author Topic: Overhaul of the Classic BT game possible?  (Read 2003 times)

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
Overhaul of the Classic BT game possible?
« on: 07 June 2017, 11:26:49 »
Since we finally have an answering team at CGL I dare to ask this:

Hi,
I´m a long time fan the classic Battletech game. When I was young I had more time to deal with the long games, but today I would long for something faster but not at cost of the complexity (at least not too much. So Alpha Strike isn´t for me, because that´s way too simpled down for me and I love my hex fields. What I always wanted was a reduction of complexity wish tends to be overcharging at level 3 rules. So my question is if we can expect that the classic ruleset will be overhauled in the future that a game of 12 vs 12 units will be possible for normal people who have a job and a life?

To give you an idea what would make life easier for me as a Battletech gamer would be an app for my tablet that helps me to reduce my mech sheets. I would love to cross out armor points on my locust, or that the app reminds me that his medium laser got a bad repair job during the campaign I play and has a +1 modifier and +2 heat when I shoot it (just an example). Something like this. It would be so much more joyfull then another fluff book about some planet in the periphery.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Overhaul of the Classic BT game possible?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2017, 15:42:22 »
We're certainly looking into it. But the best I can do to answer your question is to say:

1) Not in the near future (you won't see anything like what you want in the next 12 months).
2) We cannot do an app, that is outside the purview of our license. Otherwise, I agree with you there.
3) There really is no way to play BattleTech as you know it, 12 on 12, casually, in a short (under two hours) period of time, without reducing the amount of detail and winding up with something like Alpha Strike.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2017, 05:29:27 »
We're certainly looking into it. But the best I can do to answer your question is to say:

1) Not in the near future (you won't see anything like what you want in the next 12 months).
2) We cannot do an app, that is outside the purview of our license. Otherwise, I agree with you there.
3) There really is no way to play BattleTech as you know it, 12 on 12, casually, in a short (under two hours) period of time, without reducing the amount of detail and winding up with something like Alpha Strike.

Thank you for the quick reply. And on point 3 I´m totally with you. There is no way to do this CASUALLY, and I am in no way suggesting to get casually. I hate that word and mindset! What I was suggesting was to optimise the game in baby steps a proper example I think was the overhaul of the partial cover rule, that was a sensible change.
Could you tell me who would have the rights to do an app for the classic BT game?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2017, 06:16:12 »
Microsoft.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register