Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 161657 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #810 on: 18 January 2018, 21:16:05 »
From what little I've been able to find on the Japanese internet, Omori briefly performed as "Silk" from 1991-1994, but only released 1-2 albums before retiring from entertainment. She is supposedly married & has at least one child.
thats as far as i got but i cant find the info on any albums she had done
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #811 on: 18 January 2018, 21:52:24 »
thats as far as i got but i cant find the info on any albums she had done

This fansite lists her full discography: http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/toshi/kinuko/discog.html

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #812 on: 18 January 2018, 22:09:41 »
Now a question for the Otaku masses. Should I watch Cardcaptor Sakura to help understand Clear Card or does it stand fine on its own?

Not sure about the new series standing on its own, but watching the original Card Captor Sakura is well worth anyone's time...in fact, it might be time for me to give the full series and movie a re-watch...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #813 on: 18 January 2018, 23:31:20 »
Now a question for the Otaku masses. Should I watch Cardcaptor Sakura to help understand Clear Card or does it stand fine on its own?

As I mentioned a page or two back, if you're not familiar with either the original CCS Anime or Manga, you'll be a little lost. The first two eps of Clear Card lays down the basic narrative and the majority of the main and secondary cast. There's still a few new characters to be introduced yet, but they should be appearing in the next couple of eps.

A viewing of all 70 eps of the original series (Clow & Sakura Card arcs) might be a little daunting. But it would be worth your eventual time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #814 on: 19 January 2018, 00:37:04 »
So I tried Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches.

I ended up watching the entire season in one day.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #815 on: 19 January 2018, 00:57:02 »
Yeah 70 episodes should be nothing if I like the series. Might try for this weekend maybe.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #816 on: 19 January 2018, 05:51:48 »
Been digging the new yamato on CR. Love me some ship combat.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #817 on: 19 January 2018, 08:14:42 »
I've been watching the dub first on funimation. Saving the sub for a cold night when I have nothing else to do. Dub isn't too bad though I do miss the original VAs from the 80s

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #818 on: 19 January 2018, 08:32:20 »
Interesting news from ANN, maybe it will lead to anime later.

The original author who wrote the Slayers is writing new sequel series of books after 18 years!  :o

I wonder how different it will be given Slayers as funny it was will translate now to current tastes in humor.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #819 on: 19 January 2018, 09:15:42 »
I enjoyed Yamato 2199 when it first came out. I was also thrilled to hear that a Dub was finally being being done.
That said, the Dub is decent enough. Most of the cast has nailed their roles and the localization script is solid as well.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #820 on: 19 January 2018, 12:20:03 »
I've seen Yamato 2199 as well, i look forward to Yamato 2202. Though i have to admit, some of the vehicle designs are....odd. Not as solid as i would hope they would be for Yamato.  That weird super fighter that was helping Wildstar on his secretive moon flight being one of them.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #821 on: 19 January 2018, 12:31:33 »
If I recall the 2202 vol 4 preview, that The Last Starfighter-esque Cosmo fighter is gonna show up again.
Now is it just me or is 2202 going a bit off the rails? I don't recall that much of the original Comet Empire series, but the overall tone of 2202 seems off in comparison to 2199. I liked 2202's start, but especially with eps 6-10, the narrative seems to be falling apart. Or is it just me?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #822 on: 19 January 2018, 12:35:27 »
I only caught the first few episodes of 2202 so couldn't answer. From what I read though the story is different from the original material just as 2199 included a fair bit I don't remember (though that could just be age talking and that I haven't seen the original since the 80s).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #823 on: 19 January 2018, 12:37:16 »
That experimental fighter had firepower to take down a Comet Empire Battleship...

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #824 on: 19 January 2018, 12:42:29 »
From some reviews I've seen, 2199's narrative did change things up, but also included things that were in the original Manga that didn't get included in the original Anime. All-in-all, I enjoyed 2199 and the non-recap movie.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #825 on: 20 January 2018, 05:33:53 »
I'm not warming to Deathmarch to a Parallel World.  Just nothing about it to get interested in.

Gancrest War meanwhile seems to be based on an interesting notion around the Lords' Crests.  Once I got over that it was not the second coming of Lodoss War I started enjoying it more.  Almost want an RPG of some sort based on it.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #826 on: 20 January 2018, 07:11:08 »
I'm not warming to Deathmarch to a Parallel World.  Just nothing about it to get interested in.

Gancrest War meanwhile seems to be based on an interesting notion around the Lords' Crests.  Once I got over that it was not the second coming of Lodoss War I started enjoying it more.  Almost want an RPG of some sort based on it.

Its quickly turning into my fav show this season
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #827 on: 20 January 2018, 10:56:49 »

When I first saw it, my first thought was "Oh, wow! Someone finally went and wrote an in-universe reason for why 1st ed D&D fighters just miraculously gain followers & a castle!"

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #828 on: 20 January 2018, 19:26:32 »
Hmm, Episode 3 though, did anyone else think things moved ahead a little too fast in this one?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #829 on: 20 January 2018, 20:13:25 »
I've been feeling that Record of Grancrest War's narrative has been moving a lot quicker than I expected.
But then again, there's also been some elements, at least in comparison to the Manga, that have been cut and/or changed. There are early bits I would of preferred kept, but I hope the long term payoff is worth it.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #830 on: 20 January 2018, 21:37:11 »
Is the manga ongoing?  Or are we going to see this to the end and Theo becomi g Empetor? (Which is the obvious direction of this)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #831 on: 20 January 2018, 22:57:40 »
I've only seen scanlations to Ch 15 or so. Which takes us to the main battle of Ep three.
I'd have to go back through and compare fully, but ep one covered the first three Ch. Ep two covered Ch 5-7 or 8 with the post credits bit coming out of Ch 13. Ep three covered roughly Ch 11-15 at least.

EDIT: Oh well this really makes things interesting...
ANN has posted that Record of Grancrest War is gonna be 24 episodes. WTF? There better be some rather good material coming to warrant the narrative pace these first three eps went!
« Last Edit: 20 January 2018, 23:34:32 by Tymers Realm »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #832 on: 21 January 2018, 02:23:07 »
How long is each volume of the LN? Wikipedia says there are 9 out as of now.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #833 on: 21 January 2018, 02:52:29 »
200-220 pages per volume, not that that's saying much.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #834 on: 21 January 2018, 12:10:56 »
There is an RPG for Grancrest. It's just never been officially translated and released into English.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #835 on: 21 January 2018, 13:18:57 »
There is an RPG for Grancrest. It's just never been officially translated and released into English.
I have read that Record of Lodoss War is based on D&D. So Grancrest War got its own game? Is it D&D derivative like Pathfinder?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #836 on: 21 January 2018, 13:34:34 »
I have read that Record of Lodoss War is based on D&D. So Grancrest War got its own game? Is it D&D derivative like Pathfinder?

Nope, it's from Dragon Books, Fujimi Shobo's RPG division. It's probably either using the Sword World system, or a derivative.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #837 on: 21 January 2018, 14:05:13 »
It's probably either using the Sword World system, or a derivative.
It's a derivative, mostly regarding characters. They repurposed some abilities (traits) and constructed some derived character stats differently (movement/mobility in particular). They also cut it down to three preset character classes and gave each class multiple class-specific skills (which in Sword World only few classes have). The combat system and action resolution is apparently pretty much straightforward Sword World.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2018, 14:09:40 by kato »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #838 on: 26 January 2018, 14:13:10 »
From what I've seen, it seems a bit more focused on tactical grid combat, and a focus on running a kingdom. Heard it described as Birthright Lite, once.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #839 on: 26 January 2018, 15:18:29 »
Since Record of Grancrest War is active...
All this rush of the first three eps and Theo's looking for the long play? Talk about anti-climatic.
Oh and there's the nun-type crest-wielder coming along too. Oh that should be fun...

Register