Author Topic: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold  (Read 230034 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold
« Reply #1200 on: 15 January 2018, 11:47:34 »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Horseman

• Corporal
« Reply #1201 on: 26 January 2018, 06:01:37 »
I too am itchy to hear news on the case. I'm bummed no one on these boards had access to Pacer Monitor to check out what has been posted. Hopefully we find out something this week.
Anyone can view the list of most recent filings (but not their contents) without registration, and full list (again not contents) with a non-premium PacerMonitor account - it can be found at https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/20755327/Harmony_Gold_USA,_Inc_v_Harebrained_Schemes_LLC_et_al

The option to create a free account is not prominently visible on the registration page, but it exists: https://www.pacermonitor.com/register .

In order to get the actual contents of the documents, both premium and non-premium accounts have to pay - free accounts a flat $5 per document, while premium accounts by page count ($0.15 per page).
« Last Edit: 26 January 2018, 06:19:40 by Horseman »

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1202 on: 27 January 2018, 01:30:07 »
Got a link to it in my favourites bar. I don't think checking it every day is making the time pass any faster though.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1203 on: 27 January 2018, 13:43:44 »
New development on the pacer link, but doesn’t look like nothing was dismissed. Time marches on.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1204 on: 27 January 2018, 14:31:12 »
Just record keeping stuff pertaining to granting an unopposed motion to seal docket documents 74 and 75.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1205 on: 27 January 2018, 15:42:03 »
Just record keeping stuff pertaining to granting an unopposed motion to seal docket documents 74 and 75.

Both sides asked to seal docket items, neither opposed, so the judge granted both. That means it's probably ancillary information that's unimportant for the decision.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1206 on: 27 January 2018, 18:54:41 »
The update though does indicate that the judge is making progress on reading through everything.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1207 on: 27 January 2018, 19:40:01 »
The update though does indicate that the judge is making progress on reading through everything.
That's my hope. I am still prepared for a few more weeks to months before we see a decision, but fingers crossed.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1208 on: 29 January 2018, 05:17:04 »
This may be a dumb question but.
Did the government shut-down effect this case.
If I recall correctly copyright cases are a federal case.
So would that mean that the case was pushed back due to the shut-down?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1209 on: 29 January 2018, 05:52:43 »
Short and sweet: nope.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #1210 on: 29 January 2018, 08:27:13 »
Since the shutdown was pretty much limited to a weekend, it would not have affected much more than any other 3-day weekend, at most.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1211 on: 31 January 2018, 17:20:41 »
Any word yet?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1212 on: 31 January 2018, 17:24:42 »
I'm sure when something happens, people won't keep it too themselves.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1213 on: 31 January 2018, 17:48:44 »
I would also suggest people readjust their expectations of speed. It's not like this court has its full attention devoted to this case. There are most likely many more they have to work through. I think abou has the right attitude to expect weeks and months, not days and weeks.

"Are we there yet?"

"We just got to the first stop sign down the street!"

"Ok, are we there yet now?"
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1214 on: 31 January 2018, 17:59:16 »
I would also suggest people readjust their expectations of speed. It's not like this court has its full attention devoted to this case. There are most likely many more they have to work through. I think abou has the right attitude to expect weeks and months, not days and weeks.

"Are we there yet?"

"We just got to the first stop sign down the street!"

"Ok, are we there yet now?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AzodTPG5U
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1216 on: 31 January 2018, 18:13:09 »
OMG I almost posted that very link.

Well....You should have!

Simpsons....Has a reference for pretty much EVERYTHING!

Doing the mod's work....
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1217 on: 31 January 2018, 20:01:27 »
Judge Zilly is also dealing with some hefty Rule 4-territory stuff, so yeah, don't hold your breath. He'll rule on this motion at some point before now and the trial date.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1218 on: 31 January 2018, 20:08:25 »
*nod*

A decision on this before July, maybe August would be nice but unlikely.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1219 on: 01 February 2018, 02:56:59 »
Anticipation.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #1220 on: 01 February 2018, 17:47:21 »
I'm still waiting for the judge to rule on a motion I filed in October... these things take time.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1221 on: 05 February 2018, 17:22:42 »
Hurry up and wait, gentlemen.

#81 STIPULATION AND PROPOSED ORDER Extending Case Deadlines by parties

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #1222 on: 05 February 2018, 17:38:14 »
Look at the silverlining . . . we can afford to be patient and wait it out, HG cannot, they have a hard dead-line >:D
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1223 on: 05 February 2018, 19:01:08 »
Look at the silverlining . . . we can afford to be patient and wait it out, HG cannot, they have a hard dead-line >:D
somehow i doubt that anyone involved on the mechwarrior/battletech side is willing to stretch things out for 3 years.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1224 on: 05 February 2018, 19:26:19 »
Did a bit more careful reading once I was back home and not on my phone.

#81 was put forward by the HG lawyer. If I understand, it hasn't been accepted by Judge Zilly just yet. This might be a move to put off the summary judgement. To me, it is a sign that HG is desperate.

So we are in this position where HG can't afford to wait if they are relying on this movie deal, but they can't afford to lose either. And lose is something that they just might do.

Now BattleTech can't really afford to wait either -- at least the tabletop game. We haven't had a major release since last summer and several products delayed or "canceled". Whether that is due to this lawsuit, I do not know. But it does seems a lot was riding on getting the Classics back into the game in a big way.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2018, 21:49:53 by abou »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1225 on: 05 February 2018, 22:13:16 »
It's not the movie deal that's the deadline, it's that HG loses the rights to distribute Macross in 2021. And, frankly, BattleTech absolutely can wait until then. The Macross Unseen are a bare handful of designs out of hundreds. The product delays have much more to do with the change in leadership and focus at CGL than they do the missing units.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1226 on: 05 February 2018, 22:34:02 »
I wish I could believe that, ColBosch. I know that the rewriting of IlClan is one of the big stumbling blocks, but we haven't gotten a concise answer on the Combat Manuals -- unless I missed a final, concrete reason for their delay/cancellation.  Both the Combat Manuals and the Succession Wars books featured the Classics prominently and proudly. Then you have the Kell Hounds Ascendant series (announced July 2015!), which would likely feature the Classics heavily. Granted that features the written word over art, but I imagine the developers had plans for cover art and then artwork in the back of the book.

I admit this is speculation. I do not expect or demand any of the guys at CGL to tell me otherwise either. But the timing is there. I am more than willing to be told I am wrong by someone who knows better and can show me where and why.

I did misspeak in regards to HG. I neglected to mention the loss of their rights to distribution in 2021 assuming the contract doesn't get renewed.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2018, 22:36:36 by abou »

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #1227 on: 05 February 2018, 22:37:13 »
It's not the movie deal that's the deadline, it's that HG loses the rights to distribute Macross in 2021. And, frankly, BattleTech absolutely can wait until then. The Macross Unseen are a bare handful of designs out of hundreds. The product delays have much more to do with the change in leadership and focus at CGL than they do the missing units.
HG looses the rights to macross in 2021 unless T corp chooses to renew them which considering the disputes about royalties between them and HG seems somewhat unlikely to me.  I am not saying there is no chance but when you start doing things that gets your licensor upset at the licensee that usually doesn't end well.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1228 on: 05 February 2018, 23:17:55 »
HG looses the rights to macross in 2021 unless T corp chooses to renew them which considering the disputes about royalties between them and HG seems somewhat unlikely to me.  I am not saying there is no chance but when you start doing things that gets your licensor upset at the licensee that usually doesn't end well.
silver lining is that, even if HG and Tatsunoko manage to make up.. it isn't a simple renewal of the existing contract. they will be required to negotiate a new one, because the old one is technically in violation of the Studio Nue vs Tatsunoko rulings. so even if they do manage to keep macross, it ought to clear up some of the mess.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1229 on: 06 February 2018, 01:38:40 »
I wish I could believe that, ColBosch. I know that the rewriting of IlClan is one of the big stumbling blocks, but we haven't gotten a concise answer on the Combat Manuals -- unless I missed a final, concrete reason for their delay/cancellation.  Both the Combat Manuals and the Succession Wars books featured the Classics prominently and proudly. Then you have the Kell Hounds Ascendant series (announced July 2015!), which would likely feature the Classics heavily. Granted that features the written word over art, but I imagine the developers had plans for cover art and then artwork in the back of the book.
There's a lot more art out there than the Classics that could go in those books.  The idea that they're on hold or whatever just for a few mech pictures is honestly downright silly.  They simply weren't big sellers, the Alpha Strike guys didn't really get major numbers of books moved, and the line was canceled.  Unlike the House Handbooks, it was cut well before they extended too deep.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!