Author Topic: IlClan timeline and contents speculation  (Read 15861 times)

Vition2

• Lieutenant
Re: IlClan timeline and contents speculation
« Reply #30 on: 29 July 2017, 09:01:55 »
The Homeworld Clans are a spent force. They don't have the numbers or tech edge now to even beat one Successor State.

This is actually something we don't know for sure, particularly with the Adders being pre-eminant in the homeworlds.  We've seen very quick industrial build-ups (most of the Inner Sphere powers in the post-Tukayyid invasion era), and we've seen very quick military build-ups (WoB in the period prior to their Jihad).  So the potential is there for them to be a major threat, though I agree it isn't a likely threat based on the way the setting tends to go.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #31 on: 29 July 2017, 09:20:48 »
This is actually something we don't know for sure, particularly with the Adders being pre-eminant in the homeworlds.  We've seen very quick industrial build-ups (most of the Inner Sphere powers in the post-Tukayyid invasion era), and we've seen very quick military build-ups (WoB in the period prior to their Jihad).  So the potential is there for them to be a major threat, though I agree it isn't a likely threat based on the way the setting tends to go.
Considering that we haven't heard from them in a while, I think that either the other HW Clans dogpiled the Adders, or that the HW Clans abandoned the HWs.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #32 on: 29 July 2017, 09:24:38 »
As of 3085: we know nothing of what happened for the past 60 years or so...
We know that the Coyotes invaded the Escorpión Império circa 3100

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #33 on: 29 July 2017, 09:48:36 »
The home world Clans have had time, more time than they would like, I imagine.  Even the strategic aspect of the Adders would have a hard time restraining the other Clans without the 'taint' aspect, and they would at least realize poking their heads into a new SW over the remains of the Republic would be less than ideal timing.

I suspect the home world's will be left alone, to evolve politically rather than militarily, to be poked into action at some point to reprise the Jaguars/Outbound Light scenario.  If not, IlClan will be a case of a massive ambush; the Walls delayed an assault, but when those walls come down, they make an assault on the most heavily populated and military\Industrial planet in human space and whisper, "You could rule it all, you did before..."

If its an IS Clan (and I believe it will) then its going to be a case of opportunism.  Looking over the beaten, exhausted enemy, the IlClan will go for it - and my money's on the Bears.  It was a desire to 'rescue'  the citizens of Rasalhauge (sp) that led them to build the Dominion, a major assault that threatens the civilian population (something the Falcons would consider, in their current mindset, let alone the Capellans or Dracs) that might lead them to try and save the Republic Rump.

And nothing says they have to keep Terra.  Just 'reach' it, which I take means militarily controlling it, even for a short period.

After that, I expect a time jump.  It won't matter much to me; I don't even have an opponent here anymore, I buy product based on what I need to develop my AU rather than play.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 30 July 2017, 17:59:29 »
Or something that comes REALLY far off the Left Field. The Fedelis show up in large numbers and go "Hi we're Clan." and grab Terra or are given it by Stone or something.

If we're going to throw a few "out there" scenarios around:

The Wolves, Jade Falcon & RotS forces are all grinding themselves down fighting for possession of Terra. Clan Wolverine, a.k.a The Minnesota Tribe, make a reappearance from the periphery and charge through the path of least resistance - the FWL.

One of the reasons the Wolverines were "annihilated" by the other clans was jealousy over their technological advances. The Wolverine remnants maintained their technology edge, have rebuilt their numbers, and hit Terra with enough force to conquer the 3 factions already fighting over it. The Wolverines thus become the IlClan and teach all the other clans a lesson for "annihilating" them. 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #35 on: 30 July 2017, 18:38:29 »
The Wolves, Jade Falcon & RotS forces are all grinding themselves down fighting for possession of Terra.

Then Clan Purple Eagle (or some other name; Nova Sea Eagle) - the combination of the resurgent FWL, with the Nova Cat & Diamond Shark elements justifying their 'clan' identity, swing out, take Terra, and then spend the rest of history squabbling with each other, but uniting fanatically against any external opponent.

Other Clans take turns sending 'envoys' to examine this 'ilClan' from the inside, because they sure can't make sense of it outside. Stephen Roshak was a Jade Falcon envoy who discovers the perfect espresso on Terra, and allows himself to be absorbed for the sake of caffiene. Clan Nova Sea Eagle find he's sufficiently wired to keep on top of all the paperwork, and let him take the role so they can spend more time squabbling with each other.

You heard it here first!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 30 July 2017, 18:40:46 »
Stephen Roshak was a Jade Falcon envoy who discovers the perfect espresso on Terra, and allows himself to be absorbed for the sake of caffiene. Clan Nova Sea Eagle find he's sufficiently wired to keep on top of all the paperwork, and let him take the role so they can spend more time squabbling with each other.
This is now my headcanon.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."
-- Loremaster Stephen Roshak, January 3251
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 30 July 2017, 18:42:53 »
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 30 July 2017, 19:08:57 »
This is now my headcanon.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."
-- Loremaster Stephen Roshak, January 3251

This variation of the Mentat Mantra is hilarious.  [blank]

This makes me wonder, which BT faction drinks most coffee? Considering that we Finns drink most coffee IRL (i don't drink any though), followed closely by other Nordic countries, i would assume Rasalhague worlds drink most since their culture largely derives from Nordic countries.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #39 on: 31 July 2017, 10:43:44 »
Then Clan Purple Eagle (or some other name; Nova Sea Eagle) - the combination of the resurgent FWL, with the Nova Cat & Diamond Shark elements justifying their 'clan' identity, swing out, take Terra, and then spend the rest of history squabbling with each other, but uniting fanatically against any external opponent.

Other Clans take turns sending 'envoys' to examine this 'ilClan' from the inside, because they sure can't make sense of it outside. Stephen Roshak was a Jade Falcon envoy who discovers the perfect espresso on Terra, and allows himself to be absorbed for the sake of caffiene. Clan Nova Sea Eagle find he's sufficiently wired to keep on top of all the paperwork, and let him take the role so they can spend more time squabbling with each other.

You heard it here first!

W.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 31 July 2017, 12:00:23 »
One day, somebody is going to get just pissed off enough to nuke Terra and every planet within a jump or two and end the dream of a New Hegemony once and for all.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 31 July 2017, 12:56:23 »
I could see Terra becoming one big, smoking ruin at some point. Maybe not during ilClan, but if they do the time jump, I could see Terra being turned into a well-irradiated rock at some point in between. It's still pretty valuable as a manufacturing world and for prestige reasons so I don't think it is likely, but I'll admit it is possible. The only way I see it happening in ilClan is if someone beats Malvina there and she nukes it out of spite. She seems vengeful enough to think that if she can't have it, no one can.

As for the Bears, I really don't see them rushing for Terra. First, they have made a pretty good home and haven't been inclined to go conquering for a while now. They don't generally get into a big fight unless someone else starts it these days. Besides, their leadership is civilian now, so even if the Military WANTED to go for Terra, I think there would be an internal fight with the government to stop them from doing so. Plus, the vast majority of their nation is within one jump of an enemy state that has proven willing to attack. Pretty much everything south of Tukayyid is within one jump of TWO hostile nations! Where the heck would they pull troops from to mount an invasion without stripping some piece of their border? Even if you get past all that, the region of RasDom space closest to Terra isn't exactly well-integrated and on-board with the grand plan. They are fairly independent and may not take kindly to an invasion force coming through their region. This all makes me think the Bears aren't likely to be much interested in Terra anymore.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 31 July 2017, 16:13:35 »
Devlin Stone's chosen successor challenges the Clans who make it to Terra over the right to declare an ilKhan/ilClan, wins, and redefines "ilClan" as "the new military wing of the Third Star League", then watches CJF and CW battle each other to pieces in trials of position for ranks. The Lyran Commonwealth, relieved of pressure on both fronts, fuels the conflict by trading war material to both Clans in exchange for planets, the Archon marries the Grand Duke of Oriente and everyone laughs when the Rasalhague Dominion decides to avoid a Fourth Combine-Dominion war by conquering the entire Draconis Combine before declaring it a giant nature preserve and transplants dinosaurs from Caph to every world in an effort to create ghost bear/dinosaur hybrids. The Fox's Teeth look at the hybrids, use them as battle armour mounts and invade the Confederation, which keeps losing because the AFFS keeps painting the dinosaurs purple and no-one can take them seriously.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 31 July 2017, 16:35:04 »
I'd pay for that product!  O0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 31 July 2017, 19:09:10 »
Devlin Stone's chosen successor challenges the Clans who make it to Terra over the right to declare an ilKhan/ilClan, wins, and redefines "ilClan" as "the new military wing of the Third Star League", then watches CJF and CW battle each other to pieces in trials of position for ranks. The Lyran Commonwealth, relieved of pressure on both fronts, fuels the conflict by trading war material to both Clans in exchange for planets, the Archon marries the Grand Duke of Oriente and everyone laughs when the Rasalhague Dominion decides to avoid a Fourth Combine-Dominion war by conquering the entire Draconis Combine before declaring it a giant nature preserve and transplants dinosaurs from Caph to every world in an effort to create ghost bear/dinosaur hybrids. The Fox's Teeth look at the hybrids, use them as battle armour mounts and invade the Confederation, which keeps losing because the AFFS keeps painting the dinosaurs purple and no-one can take them seriously.

NO!!! That's been done! Their called Dino-riders!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #45 on: 08 August 2017, 06:28:14 »

I think BrokenMnemonic has won this thread.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Hammerpilot IIC

• Master Sergeant
  • The Suns will rise again!
« Reply #46 on: 08 August 2017, 16:54:14 »
I think BrokenMnemonic has won this thread.

So he's the ilPoster?
7th Crucis Lancers: 2786-3143. You shall be avenged!

Awesome 8Q- "Whoa...Every third PPC is slower..." --MistWolf

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 10 August 2017, 20:55:28 »
Don't forget that immediately preceding the League-Regulan conflict is the assassination of Jessica Marik.  We don't know for certain who took over yet, but my money is on Nicol.

I hope Kenyon Marik takes the throne. The Free Worlds League needs a real Marik. Who takes over the Principality of Regulus?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #48 on: 13 August 2017, 00:06:23 »
NO!!! That's been done! Their called Dino-riders!

You are literally the first person I've found outside my family who knows about Dino-Riders.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #49 on: 13 August 2017, 02:13:34 »
You are literally the first person I've found outside my family who knows about Dino-Riders.

Now you know two. It's a reference I never use because I assume no one remembers

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #50 on: 13 August 2017, 02:40:07 »
Bah, keep your Dino-Riders and give me Zoids any day of the week :D

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #51 on: 13 August 2017, 10:05:38 »
As of 3085: we know nothing of what happened for the past 60 years or so...

That description was accurate as of 3085.

As of 3150, they'll have had over 60 years to rebuild and no Devlin Stone asking them to turn swords into ploughshares.

60 years would probably be more than enough time for them to rebuild and prepare and they'll likely have developed a couple of new toys of their own. Plus, they'll probably bring their fleet along.

Having said that, it would strike me as dramatically inappropriate to have them simply popup out of nowhere to become ilClan.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 13 August 2017, 10:10:02 »
The Home Clans are basically written out of the story for now. I figure that they might reappear during the IlClan-era but no sooner (say, 3300s or so, earliest).

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 13 August 2017, 20:25:35 »
That description was accurate as of 3085.

As of 3150, they'll have had over 60 years to rebuild and no Devlin Stone asking them to turn swords into ploughshares.

60 years would probably be more than enough time for them to rebuild and prepare and they'll likely have developed a couple of new toys of their own. Plus, they'll probably bring their fleet along.

Having said that, it would strike me as dramatically inappropriate to have them simply popup out of nowhere to become ilClan.

Well, IS Clans have their Quadvees and their VDNI-equivalent, even with Stone's singing "kumbia" (sp).  Its likely they'll have something new, besides, Battletech is rules-driven, not miniature-driven.  There will be something new at some point.

And don't count out the "pop up out of nowhere to become ilClan"- gimmick.  People have been blind-sided by thinking like that before.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #54 on: 13 August 2017, 23:12:37 »
i doubt the homeworlds would generate all that much new technology by 3150.. remember that the society didn't really deploy much advanced tech the homeworlder's can actually use themselves (they got iATM's, ultraheavy proto's, and quad proto's, basically. they won't use the Nova CEWS's main advantage over watchdog CEWS, and the clans wouldn't use the computer viruses and gene targeted plagues.)
and with the purge of the scientist caste afterwards, and the extreme restrictions the new scientists have, i doubt we'd see much real innovation. especially since with only 4 clans left, in a space that once held a dozen and a half, and all the homeworlders being very devoted to using zell amoung themselves, there just isn't a lot of impetus to advance.

by comparison the IS clans have enemies all around them, have WOB tech and the inner sphere's crazy R&D to crib ideas from, and because the IS clans have been rather less paranoid about their scientists (aside from the falcons) the science cast has a bit more free reign to innovate.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 14 August 2017, 01:26:13 »
i doubt the homeworlds would generate all that much new technology by 3150.. remember that the society didn't really deploy much advanced tech the homeworlder's can actually use themselves (they got iATM's, ultraheavy proto's, and quad proto's, basically. they won't use the Nova CEWS's main advantage over watchdog CEWS, and the clans wouldn't use the computer viruses and gene targeted plagues.)
and with the purge of the scientist caste afterwards, and the extreme restrictions the new scientists have, i doubt we'd see much real innovation. especially since with only 4 clans left, in a space that once held a dozen and a half, and all the homeworlders being very devoted to using zell amoung themselves, there just isn't a lot of impetus to advance.

by comparison the IS clans have enemies all around them, have WOB tech and the inner sphere's crazy R&D to crib ideas from, and because the IS clans have been rather less paranoid about their scientists (aside from the falcons) the science cast has a bit more free reign to innovate.

There were four - in 3085 (or whatever).  And I thought the Homeworld Scientists had their lethargy shaken off.  But I've reconsidered, a bit.  I think CGL will hold off, until it becomes the next era to re-introduce whatever they become.  To me, that means the Bears are gonna get front billing.  Rumors of a third Leviathan being laid down, and they've been quiet lately (in-Universe).  Probably just before a time jump to allow for the Homeworlds to finish whatever they decide to pull out of the sack, then the Bears will be crotch-kicked.

One thing for sure; there won't be any leaks, especially after the hissy-fit about the original '3250' timejump they were considering.  I wonder if we'll ever see the kind of technology-resetting wars like the 1st SW again.  The equipment charts are getting too big, time to trim them down a bit, or add unit types, or something.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #56 on: 15 August 2017, 13:19:19 »
IMHO I believe there was a secret contact between the Homeworlds and the Inner Sphere leaders, wherein the Home Clanner made clear that they would follow their own future path without bloodfoul Inner Sühere contacts and if the Inner Sphere does not let them alone they will get the apocalypse. So a deal was made and a line was drawn.

No contact has been made since this ... till the Inner Sphere (ilClan) decides they will attack them.  }:)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 15 August 2017, 13:37:53 »
Does anyone think the timing of thigns is a little odd? I mean, sure we know ilClan has been pushed back quite a bit (and continues to be), but if, like the various 3250 passages have suggested, we're getting some new technology, why release the BattleMech Manual now, rather than waiting for the new tech, so everything is in one place?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 15 August 2017, 14:14:38 »
Well, Total Warfare is not in print at the moment, right? Between MWO, BattleTech video game, new intro boxes coming within a year or so, this is as good place as any to release a compilation rulebook. Even so, BMM, is not a complete collection. It includes all major 'Mech weapons but not everything, so waiting till 3250-era wouldn't still make it "everything in one place" book.

Also, though IlClan is coming, the next era is likely still way off.

The latest info was "2017 release for IlClan unlikely". Let's say first quarter next year, optimistically. Then new box sets, and maybe Combat Manual Davion. That would be three major products for the next year. I would bet any 3250-era stuff is 2019, earliest.

Second, we don't actually know if there is any new tech in IlClan-era. For all we know, tech could be "redistributed" or something (Clan tech restored to top dog place, with no common mixed tech), with some items made extinct. For all we know, IlClan/3250-era might introduce new rulebooks, new ruleset. For all we know, it will be just the usual tech addition.

So, no, timings aren't really odd.

EDIT I have vague recollection of someone saying IlClan (the book) won't include new tech, all Dark Age tech exists right now. But don't quote me on this, and anyway even if i was right, plans could've changed. If it does include new tech, it is likely experimental stuff, not BMM stuff.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2017, 14:16:50 by Empyrus »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #59 on: 15 August 2017, 15:00:53 »
Well, Total Warfare is not in print at the moment, right?

Game books are rarely, if ever, 'in print' like the Harry Potter novels. Almost everything is a limited run and then warehoused.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register