Author Topic: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!  (Read 251506 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!
« Reply #120 on: 21 August 2017, 13:07:34 »
The damage.

« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 13:09:05 by Kidd »

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 21 August 2017, 13:37:09 »
The blog, CDR Salamander has a link to the Preliminary Inquiry that Carrier Strike Wing Five conducted on FITZ.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 21 August 2017, 14:38:38 »
The blog, CDR Salamander has a link to the Preliminary Inquiry that Carrier Strike Wing Five conducted on FITZ.
Excellent read, looks like the sailors all did an excellent job in a sudden and frankly terrifying situation.

Went on to read a few articles in the rest of the blog which caught my eye; wow, the comments threads are cancerous ::)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #123 on: 21 August 2017, 17:35:31 »
It strikes me as a little early for the PI for the FITZGERALD to be published...

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #124 on: 21 August 2017, 18:16:50 »
Excellent read, looks like the sailors all did an excellent job in a sudden and frankly terrifying situation.

Went on to read a few articles in the rest of the blog which caught my eye; wow, the comments threads are cancerous ::)
They can be on certain subjects. I'm a regular on there...

(Rule of cautious judgement applies here)

The general feeling seems to be along the lines of what VADM Beatty said at Jutland.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #125 on: 21 August 2017, 19:20:19 »
They can be on certain subjects. I'm a regular on there...

(Rule of cautious judgement applies here)

The general feeling seems to be along the lines of what VADM Beatty said at Jutland.

To paraphrase:

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody destroyers lately!"

;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #126 on: 21 August 2017, 19:32:08 »
@Kidd

wow, i'm surprised the ship wasn't cut in half with that sort damage.  How heck did they get the ship pulled out?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #127 on: 22 August 2017, 03:04:55 »
got curious.. when did the US navy retire its last (non-battleship, non-carrier) warships that had fought in ww2?
it is easy to find info on carriers and of course the Iowa's soldiered on for a long time. i'm curious how long they kept using the Cruisers, destroyers and frigates.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #128 on: 22 August 2017, 05:31:51 »
got curious.. when did the US navy retire its last (non-battleship, non-carrier) warships that had fought in ww2?
it is easy to find info on carriers and of course the Iowa's soldiered on for a long time. i'm curious how long they kept using the Cruisers, destroyers and frigates.

Other than Old Ironsides? I would guess it would be some of the transports or oilers. The other thing is that there are hulls well over 100 years old being used as things like oil jetties and pontoons in various harbours and ports - this is what happened to HMS Warrior for example.

To paraphrase:

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody destroyers lately!"

;)

Ruger

And as with the RN's battle cruisers, I think they have been showing they are very well built in terms of how well they have survived the impacts (I have visions of a tanker captain saying "Ramming speed Mr Denny, there's a DDG ahead and I want to paint a little ship on the side of our funnel") but I am concerned about the watchkeeping or other "software"/"wetware" actions that have led to the accidents.
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #129 on: 22 August 2017, 06:23:23 »
I narrowed this down to ships that were commissioned before the ned of the War in the Pacific

Heavy Cruiser: USS Columbus decommissioned on Jan 31, 1975 after conversion to a guided missile cruiser in the 1960s
Light Cruiser: USS Oklahoma City was decommissioned on Dec 15, 1979 after conversion to a guided missile cruiser in the 1960s
Destroyer: Both Allen M. Sumner and Gearing class destroyers had multiple vessels serve the USN well into the 1970s due to FRAM upgrades.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 06:25:47 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #131 on: 22 August 2017, 10:05:51 »
I narrowed this down to ships that were commissioned before the ned of the War in the Pacific

Heavy Cruiser: USS Columbus decommissioned on Jan 31, 1975 after conversion to a guided missile cruiser in the 1960s
Light Cruiser: USS Oklahoma City was decommissioned on Dec 15, 1979 after conversion to a guided missile cruiser in the 1960s
Destroyer: Both Allen M. Sumner and Gearing class destroyers had multiple vessels serve the USN well into the 1970s due to FRAM upgrades.
USS Chicago (CG-11, ex CA-136) was converted in the same fashion as Columbus (CG-12, ex CA-74), and was decommissioned following survey in 1980. Their unmodified sister St. Paul (CA-73) was decommissioned in 1971, but retained until 1980. Both Chicago and St. Paul had credible war service

The last FRAM modified destroyer, the USS William C. Lawe (DD-763) was not commissioned until 1946 due to reduction gear issues. She was decommissioned in 1983.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

kato

• Captain
« Reply #132 on: 22 August 2017, 11:42:30 »
Other than Old Ironsides? I would guess it would be some of the transports or oilers. The other thing is that there are hulls well over 100 years old being used as things like oil jetties and pontoons in various harbours and ports - this is what happened to HMS Warrior for example.
Couple years ago there were still dozens of old C3/C4 transports at Suisun and James River in the reserve fleets. The last of these were as far as i know scrapped over the last five years - all that remains is ships built in the 60s for Vietnam.

USS Chicago (CG-11, ex CA-136) was converted in the same fashion as Columbus (CG-12, ex CA-74), and was decommissioned following survey in 1980.
USS Chicago remained in reserve until 1991 afterwards.

The last WW2 ship decommissioned from active service (other than carriers and battleships) was probably - and definitely the last pre-war ship decommissioned - was USS Prairie (AD-15), a destroyer tender built in 1939 and decommissioned in 1993.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #133 on: 22 August 2017, 12:54:45 »
I honestly wonder if anything in mothballs can be reactivated...

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #134 on: 22 August 2017, 13:02:37 »
That's the entire point of mothballs- if it couldn't be reactivated, why would you keep it around at all?

Now, it's not a matter of just running a flag up the mast and saying "Let's go!". Any ship in mothballs needs a lot of work, even if it was only recently retired. Engines need to be re-lubricated, seals need to be removed, watertight checks done, every system on board tested, upgrades to electronics and such made... it's not a fast process. You're looking at months of work, bare minimum, to get just about anything put back in service- probably more, the larger and more complex the vessel.

But, as we saw with the Iowas, it CAN be done. Note that in that case, the length of the refit was a few years each, but that also involved far more than simply recommissioning the ship as above- they got fairly extensive upgrades that involved the removal of older weapons, installation of newer ones, etc.- something like that Iwo Jima-class ship at the back in the first photo wouldn't need anything that extensive, one would think.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #135 on: 22 August 2017, 14:36:00 »
Another thing...3 of the 4 carriers in that picture have either been scrapped or are being scrapped, so ensure not coming back.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #136 on: 22 August 2017, 17:00:36 »
Well, at least they get underway in our forums.  ;)

The danger ranger her self, USS Ranger CV-61. 

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #137 on: 22 August 2017, 21:03:12 »
Some of those ships look like they need the scrapers.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #138 on: 22 August 2017, 21:10:04 »
Let's do this!

"So, eleven hundred men went into the water,
three hundred sixteen men come out,
and the sharks took the rest,
June the 29th, 1945.

[he pauses, smiles, and raises his glass]

Anyway... we delivered the bomb."

- Captain Quint

« Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 21:12:09 by Easy »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #139 on: 23 August 2017, 06:14:26 »
Some of those ships look like they need the scrapers.
More needs a transfer of metal.  Their more rust than steel now.  Some of them. These are old.

I'm not certain which ship this came from, but mothballs varies i guess.  I know the Wisconsin while in semi-mothballs in Norfolk did fantastic job maintaining preservation while displaying the ship in downtown Norfolk.

Here some more mothballs ships.

The Tennessee isn't in so hot shape in this photo.  I know she long gone. :-[

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #140 on: 23 August 2017, 06:32:27 »
Some will end up like this once stripped of hazardous materials.  While some would say this is a bad way to go but I don't you sink something as a target you add to the training of future sailors and potentially create a habitat for future marine life
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #141 on: 23 August 2017, 07:39:41 »
There's sometimes different levels of mothballs, to be fair. In the case of the Tennessee above, she and her sisters of the Big Five semi-class were kept in reserve through much of the 1950s, but realistically there was never any intention to ever reactivate them again- the battleship's day was done, and certainly if that was the case there was no interest in reactivating battle-scarred, three-decade-old dinosaurs in particular. Had those ships been slated to go back on active duty, it would have meant a calamity had befallen the U.S. far beyond anything imaginable at the time.

The result? Ships that are maintained, but not exactly kept in perfect shape. After all, these aren't even manned by skeleton crews- they're inspected on a rotation basis, with no one really aboard full-time, so rust and undergrowth will happen far faster- partly due to lack of a crew to maintain, partly because they aren't moving about anymore.

Note however that in comparison, the Iowas at this same point were still considered possible to reactivate (though with no concrete plans to do so- even the New Jersey's Vietnam reactivation was a sudden and ad-hoc process), and were maintained far better as a result- after all, the better condition the ship is in, the faster it can be reactivated, so some ships like these got better treatment as a result. (One can expect that was a major factor in the reactivation of the class in the 1980s- after all, if they were in wretched shape like the Tennessee up there was, why bother at all?)

One other minor factor to consider, looking at the 'modern' reserve ships earlier in the thread- color camera shots show rust and wear far better than a black and white image does, so those famous shots of reserve fleets postwar in San Diego, Suisun Bay, Philadelphia, etc. look a lot more trim and clean than those ships above- because we can't see brown rust and such as easily. I know that sounds stupid, but it really does end up being the case- looking at images of the ruins of Japanese ships postwar at Kure, a B&W shot of the carrier Amagi on its side shows a ship laying on its side bombed out- but a color shot shows the extent that a year of that condition has done in terms of rust and decay far better.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #142 on: 23 August 2017, 12:34:24 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 23 August 2017, 12:56:47 »
Some will end up like this once stripped of hazardous materials.  While some would say this is a bad way to go but I don't you sink something as a target you add to the training of future sailors and potentially create a habitat for future marine life
Being used in a SINKEX is not much worse than being broken up for scrap, and as you say, at least it contributes to the training of the next generation.

However, it's a pity the USS America (CV-65? 66? can't quite recall) went that way, if only because of the name.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #144 on: 23 August 2017, 13:11:52 »
cool shot
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #145 on: 23 August 2017, 13:26:03 »

Onlookers line up to watch the annual sacrifice of the baby boats to the sea pyramid to avoid her wrath. This sacrifice is necessary to continue the safety of the United States of America, for if we do not sacrifice our baby boats to the sea pyramid every year, her wrath will see the destruction of our great country.

There will be nothing we can do to stop the sea pyramid if we do not continue these sacrifices.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #146 on: 23 August 2017, 13:43:01 »
ALL HAIL THE SEA PYRAMID.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #147 on: 23 August 2017, 14:24:37 »
They should paint a big eye on each side of it... ^-^

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #148 on: 23 August 2017, 14:41:05 »
do you want tinfoil conspiracists? cause that's how you get tinfoil conspiracists...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #149 on: 23 August 2017, 14:44:55 »

Paint the Eye of Horus on it!