Author Topic: (Slightly belated) Mech of the week - Blood Kite - Redux! (and filler!)  (Read 12855 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
But... why is every single one of their own 'Mechs so terrible looking? Hodgepodge of weapons, proportions all over the place, generally weird and ungraceful looking.

Huh?  Stooping Hawk . . . Crimson Languar . . . Crimson Hawk?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
I'd say the mini for the Langur is pretty great. It's got that timeless mix of Galahad and Big Daddy (Bioshock) that never gets old. The art's kind fugly though. The Stooping Hawk's got a good profile except for the lanky arms, which clash overall with its visage (I maintain it should have Rifleman-esque arms instead. It'd look better.). And the Crimson Hawk is a very pretty mech.

On the other hand, the Blood Kite looks like the aborted drawn-together-esque hybrid monster baby of... You know, I was going to post several ideas, but... I honestly can't describe what this mess of parts actually looks like it borrows from. It just looks hastily put together by Scientists who honestly had no idea what they were doing, as though each one worked in a separate cell on other ends of the planet.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2017, 19:25:55 by Caedis Animus »

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
I'd say the mini for the Langur is pretty great. It's got that timeless mix of Galahad and Big Daddy (Bioshock) that never gets old. The art's kind fugly though. The Stooping Hawk's got a good profile except for the lanky arms, which clash overall with its visage (I maintain it should have Rifleman-esque arms instead. It'd look better.). And the Crimson Hawk is a very pretty mech.

On the other hand, the Blood Kite looks like the aborted drawn-together-esque hybrid monster baby of... You know, I was going to post several ideas, but... I honestly can't describe what this mess of parts actually looks like it borrows from. It just looks hastily put together by Scientists who honestly had no idea what they were doing, as though each one worked in a separate cell on other ends of the planet.

That might not be that far from the truth...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
I've always liked this mech.  In part, I saw it first in FM: Crusaders, where the art is better.  Mostly, I just really love long range on slow mechs, so the idea of just pounding away with a mix of ERLLs and LRMs is just right up my alley.  It's a tricky mech to fight, because there isn't really a trick to it.  Asside from a few gimick weapons you can't really out range it (or artilery in a non dual context, I guess), while closing is both tricky and not hugely helpful anyway.  Since Spirits tend to be good shots, you can't count on being able to just run around it in a fast mech.  Really, the only reliable way to beat it is to just shove another big nasty monster in its face.

I will say I don't see a Stalker in it.  Sure, LLs and LRMs, but the arangment is very difrent, and where as in the Stalker the secondary battery was very powerful and realled called out for you to close in to use it, on the Kite the SRMs are more of an after thought.  I think a Stalker IIC would pretty much rule, and might fight similarly to the Kite (they'd be great team mates) I think it would be difrent enough to be worth having seperate from this.

And to wrap it up going back to looks, it isn't a pretty mech no matter which art you look at, and yes the Spirits were capable of making pretty mechs (I like the Stooping Hawk, personaly).  I think it goes to value.  The Kite is the cheap and chearful mech (for a high end assualt) so why waste energy designing or producing anything pretty for it?  The omnis by contrast are pride mechs, and as long as you're going to put on targeting computers and XL engines and ATMs, may as well make the mech look a bit sleaker, too.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: (Slightly belated) Mech of the week - Blood Kite - Redux! (and filler!)
« Reply #34 on: 18 September 2017, 12:46:10 »
What are some good protomech buddies for a BloodKite? I am collector so I don't know these things!

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 18 September 2017, 15:18:31 »
It depends what you want your buddies to do?  The Kite is slow and long ranged, so something like a Gorgon with it's LRMs can complement that.  Conversely, something like a Roc or Delphyne offers the speed and added mid ranged power to help react to faster opponents hoping to close and fight at fight at that medium range where the Kite's SRMs don't add anything, or else shepherd more mobile mechs that don't really want to fight into range.  Lastly, a group of Kites and Kite like mechs is so slow that a point of ultra fast scouts can help the Kite react a bit early and put itself into a place where it's big guns can do some good.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 18 September 2017, 18:37:19 »
Do any protos carry narc or similar goodies to help the big guys rain down the missiles?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #37 on: 18 September 2017, 20:31:10 »
I don't think there are any NARC-equipped Protomechs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #38 on: 19 September 2017, 00:15:21 »
MUL says there are none which is a little bit surprising.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #39 on: 19 September 2017, 00:19:01 »
Considering it would be viewed as dishonorable by the mechwarrior tossing the missiles?  Not really . . . its questionable if it would matter enough for a point of protos, something like a Satyr with a NARC launcher and a round or two & 4 other Protos loaded with LRMs.  Would it matter, especially since the NARC launcher would only have two or three shots at most?  and odds of hitting?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #40 on: 19 September 2017, 01:14:45 »
I don't think standard Clan rules of engagement apply to the proto mechs.    Operating under a swarm mentality I can't see any reason not to do it.  Perhaps it is even worth wild for a Society proto.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #41 on: 19 September 2017, 01:39:27 »
You will basically be making a Proto that can only fire that NARC . . . and if its firing for other Protos they have a limited ammo bin in the first place.  The real bonus from NARC also comes on the larger launchers where that +2 on the Missile Tables gets a LOT more hits.  For a LRM2 or 3?  Not much point.  Doing it for a mech is better since as mentioned with the Blood Kite it would make their massed launchers more efficient, but they will not want that sort of dishonorable help.  Except for on York, or when they are getting wiped out in their colonies.

Interestingly enough, HML has a NARC beacon for Protos which means its in the rules.  I quickly ran up a 5/8/5 9t with near max armor, NARC launcher in the chest w/5 reloads and a ER Micro in the RA for a bit of shooting.  Or I guess you could put a LRM1 in the arm with 6 shots.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 19 September 2017, 01:42:20 »
Also, there's the issue of NARC specialty munitions having never made it to the Clans.  If they had, it might have become seen as a more useful weapon system.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #43 on: 19 September 2017, 06:02:08 »
Do any protos carry narc or similar goodies to help the big guys rain down the missiles?

What about battle armor NARCs?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 19 September 2017, 13:34:54 »
Talking about the Kite more than the delivery system, the Spirits are noted to be the second most vee heavy Clan of the bunch, so a light hover could do the job well enough, perhaps better, or a VTOL.  But, despite the Kite being a second line mech and the Spirits having their backs to the wall on York, the Blood Kite is still a prestige mech, piloted by above average warriors in front line units and rock stars in second line units.  So, while the Spirits would probably have no trouble with a binary of tanks raining LRMs down on some hapless Adders, or even a binary of mechwarriors in second liners, Kite pilots are likely to be some of the last to seek help from their "inferiors."

As to protos in general, there's always high end units like the Gorgon and Minotaur with the LRMs (3?) and even some hypothetical super LRM proto with 14-15 LRMs.  It's no the huge boost you'd get from scores of LRMs from a star of mechs, but it's not nothing and even within the bounds of zell.

Ghost_msl

• Corporal
« Reply #45 on: 19 September 2017, 15:35:30 »
Talking about the Kite more than the delivery system, the Spirits are noted to be the second most vee heavy Clan of the bunch, so a light hover could do the job well enough, perhaps better, or a VTOL.  But, despite the Kite being a second line mech and the Spirits having their backs to the wall on York, the Blood Kite is still a prestige mech, piloted by above average warriors in front line units and rock stars in second line units.  So, while the Spirits would probably have no trouble with a binary of tanks raining LRMs down on some hapless Adders, or even a binary of mechwarriors in second liners, Kite pilots are likely to be some of the last to seek help from their "inferiors."

As to protos in general, there's always high end units like the Gorgon and Minotaur with the LRMs (3?) and even some hypothetical super LRM proto with 14-15 LRMs.  It's no the huge boost you'd get from scores of LRMs from a star of mechs, but it's not nothing and even within the bounds of zell.

Yeah, the Minotaur 3 - with an LRM 12 and 5 / 8 / 5 movement.

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #46 on: 20 September 2017, 01:22:42 »
There is also the Svartalfa 2 with 30 LRMS... EACH :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 20 September 2017, 01:51:24 »
Yeah, but that's not available to the Spirits.