Author Topic: Warship vs dropship vs ASF fuel question  (Read 1606 times)

Flameblade

• Recruit
Warship vs dropship vs ASF fuel question
« on: 14 August 2017, 13:52:30 »
Tried search didn't come up with anything....

Are they all the same or are they different? 
Can I use fuel from my warship to refuel dropship? 

Because it seem a lot more weight efficient to store it as fuel for the warship than it does to store it as liquid cargo.

Should probably add small craft in there as well.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2017, 13:56:21 by Flameblade »

snewsom2997

• Captain
Re: Warship vs dropship vs ASF fuel question
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2017, 14:01:19 »
Same fuel, vastly different thrust points per ton.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2017, 14:30:02 »
SNEWSOM2997 is correct . The only time I saw very different fuel use for Aerospace units was TC fission powered units that operates in an asteroid belt during a campaign . Never before or since . Apparently more fuel points per ton.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2017, 16:18:59 »
Tried search didn't come up with anything....

Are they all the same or are they different? 
Can I use fuel from my warship to refuel dropship? 

All fusion-powered aerospace vehicles (aerospace fighters, small craft, DropShips, JumpShips, space stations, WarShips) use the same fuel: hydrogen. See p. 42, 124, and especially p. 140-141 ("Fuel") in Strategic Operations. Tech Manual also makes some mention of hydrogen-as-fuel in passing.

Because it seem a lot more weight efficient to store it as fuel for the warship than it does to store it as liquid cargo.

Liquid cargo reflects generic, flexible liquid storage tanks often installed in any standard cargo space, while fuel tanks are optimized, feed-the-engines only things. Liquid cargo, as described in p. 42 SO's example, may be installed in a bay that previously held any other cargo, so there's an understandable loss in weight efficiency. Meanwhile, a WarShip's standard fuel tanks will never be able to hold ammo or food, and if you find either in there something's gone horribly wrong.

I'm not saying it's impossible - I used to work with a US Navy submariner who shared a story about how his sub had to put in for emergency repairs because of an untraceable rattling noise. It turned out to be a large aluminum ladder in a ballast tank that shipyard workers had left in there. So weird things can end up in weird places in ships, it's just the fuel tanks will never have cranes, tie-downs, overhead rails, and other freight-moving provisions you'd find in a cargo bay.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2017, 04:06:28 »
I would assume its some kinda liquid hydrogen as the fuel and that's what I use when I write stuff that mentions fuel.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/