Author Topic: TAG and LRM's  (Read 3254 times)

Bonepart

• Corporal
TAG and LRM's
« on: 15 August 2017, 10:30:26 »
Wanting to play with some of the new toys I haven't tried before I installed TAG on a couple of mechs and loaded up others with LRM Semi-guided missiles.

Is it not actually possible to use TAG for LRM Indirect fire in MegaMek? I fire the TAG in the indirect phase, but then the indirect phase is over and I can't target my LRM's (indirectly) if the TAG hits.

I've never actually tried to use LRM Indirect fire before with regular spotters, so maybe there is a way to fire them indirectly in the regular weapons phase?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: TAG and LRM's
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2017, 11:18:53 »
You need to change the mode on the LRMs to indirect. Then in the next turn the TAG indirect fire phase will come up to TAG, then in the firing phase you can fire the LRM's semi-guided.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2017, 11:35:56 »
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I figured out the mode button changed the Ultra AC's to Ultra mode. Didn't think about trying it for the LRM's.

Thanks!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2017, 13:59:29 »
You can also use the mode button to change normal ACs to rapid fire

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2017, 14:10:47 »
Is that an unofficial rule? I thought that was the whole point of Ultra AC's, give you that second shot at the risk of jamming the weapon.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2017, 14:43:42 »
Is that an unofficial rule? I thought that was the whole point of Ultra AC's, give you that second shot at the risk of jamming the weapon.

Rapid Fire A/C's are an optional rule from Tactical Operations
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2017, 15:00:52 »
Works best with Field Gun infantry as it removes the negative affects plus you can use alternate ammo unlike UACs

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2017, 15:27:04 »
Ah, I see. I need to get more of the rule books, if only to be up with these details. Currently I only have Total War and Tech Manual. I figure I need at least TacOps and StratOps. Is A Time of War worthwhile outside of maybe the skill descriptions? So many skills and i'm not sure which ones are useful outside of the obvious like the Tech/Pilot/Gunnery skills. Well, and Admin and Doctor as well.

What about Campaign Operations? That useful to own?

I'll have to look over the infantry and vehicle rules in total war and tech manual. I usually skip over those since I've mainly played with mechs so far.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2017, 15:31:08 »
A Time of War you can probably skip as Campaign Operations has all of the SPAs used in MekHQ. The other skills... aToW might be useful but not required unlike the core books and Campaign Operations which will be slowly added to MekHQ as people get to it.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2017, 15:39:41 »
Ah, I see. I need to get more of the rule books, if only to be up with these details. Currently I only have Total War and Tech Manual. I figure I need at least TacOps and StratOps. Is A Time of War worthwhile outside of maybe the skill descriptions? So many skills and i'm not sure which ones are useful outside of the obvious like the Tech/Pilot/Gunnery skills. Well, and Admin and Doctor as well.

What about Campaign Operations? That useful to own?

I'll have to look over the infantry and vehicle rules in total war and tech manual. I usually skip over those since I've mainly played with mechs so far.

Depends what you want to do. TacOps is a must for MegaMek, in my opinion. StratOps drives a lot of MekHQ.  IO is good for era play and has the rules for LAMs, Super Heavies, and Quadvee's which are in or coming very soon to MegaMek.

As for AToW I really wish MekHQ fully incorporated it to allow allow all of the player skills and stats to impact the unit in MekHQ and then into MegaMek but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

As phoenixstorm mention, pieces of Campaign Ops are getting added but they'll drive things behind the scenes.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2017, 15:56:10 »
I'll put TacOps and StratOps on the list of things to get, with Campaign Ops for later. The SPAs are pretty easy, the tooltips explain those well. Skills like small arms seem obvious but I don't know if they have a point in the game. I always set my Mechwarriors to auto flee, and as of yet not tried to field infantry or aerospace.

I just love the setting and everything about Battletech. My uncle had TRO's laying around when I was a kid. I grew up with it, just never really had a chance to actually play it. I love running a force and campaign and MekHQ and MegaMek are really excellent for that. I just tend to be somewhat of a rules nazi in that I want to know why things happen the way they do, so I want to have the rules where I can look them up.

The programs work well because I would be happy dedicating 12 hours on a Saturday to play and I can't imagine there are many people wanting to work that into a group  ;D

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2017, 16:24:47 »
You might also want to pick up the BattleMech Manual PDF at some point as well as it has all the quirks as well as the updated rules for quirks which will also be updated in MM at some point. If you decide to get into playing Tabletop then the new box sets and a hardcover BMM will be the way to go, or Alpha Strike and the starter box. Be it MegaMek or at a table BT is a blast to play, though it isn't as popular as it once was so finding games in your area may be a challenge. Just having MM/HQ to play BT campaigns is great when you have no local group for TT play.

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2017, 17:49:33 »
I love hardcover books and am kind of bummed you can't buy them direct anymore. A quick search on Amazon says TacOps would cost me $100+ :(

So PDF it is. I didn't realize they had new box sets, if you mean something other than the Indroductory set before Total Warfare. I'm not terribly social so I prefer to play with people I know so it limits my options sadly. It's why I tried the online MekWars stuff very briefly.

As is MekHQ and AtB is keeping me very happy! :D

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 August 2017, 18:21:22 »
Yeah the core rulebooks are out of print right now and no clue when CGL plans to reprint them which is VERY stupid. At minimum Total Warfare and TRO 3039 should always be in print. As for the new boxes... it seems that the old intro box has fallen out of favor and is being replaced by a cheap 2 mech starter box (which should have a map as well) for roughly $20 unless that gets changed. The other is branded as Battletech A Game of Armored Combat and is supposed to include 8 mechs and map(s).

Information is somewhat limited until it is announced at GenCon. We do know that they will include the Thunderbolt, Battlemaster, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Locust, and 3 other new sculpts/art of 3025 mech. Theory so far is Orion and Commando. My guess is the starter box will have the Wolverine and Shadow Hawk while the other box will have the Griffin and a new sculpt of another 3025 mech. Finally no more tired 80s art for 3025  ;D I hope they do this for many of the other 3025 units as well.

Read up from here http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58071.msg1342900#msg1342900

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2017, 03:32:03 »
Finally no more tired 80s art for 3025  ;D I hope they do this for many of the other 3025 units as well.

Pah! This moderne non-sense is nothing for oldtimers like me :D
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"