Author Topic: Bargain Bob's Used Mech Lot  (Read 2986 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Bargain Bob's Used Mech Lot
« on: 22 August 2017, 15:43:24 »
In one of the MWDA books it talks about a weapons dealership (yes, it makes it sort of sound like a new car dealership) on Galatea which has all the nice new fancy pretties inside on the showroom floor . . .

. . . and if you manage to find the right path through all of them you can head out back into the 'used' area to see what is under all the rust.  While they do see some mechs out there, they tended to grab the weapons and armor fabrication equipment that were old/obsolete.

But what mechs would you expect to find in a salvage/scrapyard environment on Galatea, Solaris VII or any other merc world outside of Northwind or Outreach?  say in 3055?  3065?  3090? or even in the book's timeframe of 3130s?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: Bargain Bob's Used Mech Lot
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2017, 16:46:09 »

Real world:  Just support vehicles like jeeps, 3/4 ton trucks, etc.  No combat vehicles with real armor (just BAR) and no weapons.

BattleTech as written:  "Life is cheap, mechs aren't".   So no mechs, but maybe some dirtbag militia-type combat vehicles.  Hetzers, Goblins, and the like.

BattleTech as GM'ed:  I'd allow prior generation mechs and vehicles to make it interesting.  So in 3055, that means Sucession War-era tech.  No Star League lostech or recovery.  Certainly no Clan.

There should be a substantial discount on mechs and vehicles that have been left out in the weather, but they should come with an equivalent number of problems that the players' techs may or may not be able to resolve.

Maybe a table to roll on for difficulty of finding working versions of different platforms, weapons and equipment in a salvage yard.  MGs = easy.  PPCs = tough.  Stinger = easy.  Marauder = tough.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2017, 16:59:29 »

If we are just talking about 'Mechs:

- Recently unearthed museum pieces (primitives)
- Fully cored 'Mechs (needs new Engine & Gyro).
- Damaged 'Mechs with bad reputations (Bad reputation Quirk).
- Unreliable 'Mechs from bad repairs/jury-rigging attempts. 
- Obsolete 'Mechs that that no common spare parts (Obsolete Quirk, Non-Standard Parts Quirk, Difficult to Maintain Quirk).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2017, 17:06:55 »
That was Patriot's Stand, aka Magnificent Seven IN SPAAAACE!, or as Sir Terry Pratchett put it, "the famous Ai-Senor-Mexican-Bandits-Have-Raided-Our-Village".... always thought it 1 of the better-written BT books, though it seems I am in the minority...

Anyway. Why, bits and pieces of this and that, and intact chassis of really old Mechs of course, last-generation stuff appreciated by not many other than cash-strapped mercs, that sort of thing. Even modern militaries have their boneyards full of old tanks, fighters and ships, and some are in actual use - for example, the recent battles in Syria and Iraq have seen an insane array of equipment deployed; actual battles were fought by armies equipped with modded civilian Toyota technicals, ancient MIG-21s and MI-8s, older and newer versions of BRDMs, BMPs, T-55s/64s/72s/90s, Cadillac V-150s and M1117 ASVs, WW2 artillery pieces and modern ATGMs...

In Battletech I'd expect very old Star League/Succession Wars equipment and Retrotech, later on 1st-gen TRO3050U equipment and oddball, unpopular, private or limited-production designs like the War Dog, Gallowglas and Bandersnatch. Also as in the novel, fixer-upper equipment which is simply in such poor condition that only the desperate would be driven to use them...

Real world:  Just support vehicles like jeeps, 3/4 ton trucks, etc.  No combat vehicles with real armor (just BAR) and no weapons.
As above, you'd be surprised what third-world countries deploy in their state militaries: lots of second-hand, reconditioned or outright salvaged equipment. These pics are from a Sudanese armour repair facility - practically the very definition of the junkyard OP describes:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2017, 17:23:41 »
The middle one is a French or SA armored car, did carry a 75mm gun or such.  But yeah, things like that . . .

I know we recently got actual Quirks:  Bad Reputation but things have been like that for a while in the fluff.  I was just wondering since my mercs ended up buying a cursed Warhammer that has worked out OK for them though it does get disabled more often than other mechs.

But what would also be found there would be the trade in junk other mercs sold to the dealer for whatever they wanted- things like bullet riddled Scorpion light tanks that were hauled off as salvage in a raid exchanged for a working refurbished PPC or whatever the case might be for the story.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2017, 18:50:45 »
You may also find dirt common 'Mechs in there, even if they aren't unpopular, like the Archer or Wasp. Both were built in stunning quantities, and descriptions of the Wasp imply you can find them nearly anywhere you can find BattleMechs.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2017, 21:39:57 »
I would expect that you'd find pieces of mechs more than anything- a Marauder's legs, the left arm from an Archer, a Stinger missing the arms, jumpjets, engine, and head...
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2017, 08:21:04 »
And once in a blue moon you might find a Herkermer Battle Jitney that your owner keeps trying to junk.

Anyways Patriots Stand was a good book IMO, and that scene underlaid the foundation of Galeta and other merc worlds like it. Junkyards could have anything and everything: you compare them to car dealerships today, one might have a brand new Corvette or Mustang and another might have a Model T Ford missing all four wheels, the engine block, and a steering column. As the developers like to tell us "it's up to you, whatever works for your game". Personally I love Patriots Stands approach: buy the tools build your own machines and profit. If you have the engineers and men to do it, it's safer, cheaper, and easier.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2017, 09:36:25 »
I would expect to find a lot of wildly assorted 'Mech pieces in a Solaris VII junkyard, along with a few mostly intact but unrepairable 'Mechs (either due to scarcity of parts or problems which proved unfixable), because a lot of 'Mechs will get cored or irreparably damaged, and the high degree of customization and non-standard designs for arena combat would result in a lot of "unique" pieces that aren't all that useful to anyone else.  "Here's a left leg for a Flashman....good luck finding a Flashman that needs it".  "Don't have a clue what this is from, must be something custom built".  "Gee, all this Stinger needs is the entire torso, and a broom to collect the pieces".

As for 'Mechs, I'd expect to see a high proportion of Locust/Wasp/Stinger pieces or other light 'Mechs, due to their relatively high production and relatively low cost.  A lot of aspiring Arena Champion wannabes will have managed to scrounge up enough for one of these or some kind of industrial conversion, but not enough for anything decent, and there are several smaller arenas which feature the lighter classes.

There would likely be a much higher proportion of scrapped or badly damaged vehicles in a mercenary hiring location, and a bit more in the way of "common" 'Mech parts, but mostly in really bad condition.  The better stuff would get picked through regularly, with the real junk tending to collect over time.  Here's where you'll see the more combat-oriented stuff, particularly the mass produced units that mercenaries will have the most access to and interest in (for parts availability), although the better maintained stuff will tend to go quickly, leaving the "junkers" with more permanent problems. Minor issues like bad actuators or a dysfunctional secondary weapon will tend to get repaired (the repair will increase the value of the unit substantially, at a relatively minor cost), while things like flaky gyros and intermittent targeting system glitches will be harder or more expensive to find and track down or replace, so some mercs will unload them after failing to repair them.  Some sellers may have gone to great lengths to hide the problems.

A skilled technical crew could probably get some of the poorer stuff functional, but a lot of it would be things that other techs had previously rejected as unrepairable, or at least not worth the time to fix and the expense for replacement parts: "Ah, here's a Martel Medium Laser....but the whole focusing array is sitting crooked, which means the framework is bent, and some of the electronics look like they've been burned.....I'm not sure if it can be fixed for less than the cost of a new laser."  It might still provide parts to fix another unit, if you already know what's wrong with yours.  It also might supply parts which turn out to have other problems, which you discover after you've bought the salvaged equipment and cannibalized it to fix your own.

The dealer's "prime real estate" would have the better stuff, possibly including a couple of complete and fully functional 'Mechs or vehicles, and "rebuilt" weapons in better condition.  The junk would tend to gravitate toward the back of the lot.

This is a GM's equivalent of a "target rich environment".  Better warm up those dice.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2017, 10:03:47 by Kovax »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2017, 15:23:07 »
not having read the book, is it is possible the systems they got for making armor wasn't actually on the lot as junk, but was actually part of the business's Shop? that is, the business had a 'bodyshop' side business that built/repaired/customized units (which seems to be true for a lot of used vehicle/junkyard businesses IRL), and the group just bought up a set of spare hardware the lot had for armor manufacturing and repair?

we know that Solaris VII's VEST company started off as little more than a salvage operation that had a repair and customization business on the side, so it would make sense that other salvage operations would have repair and customization sidelines as well.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2017, 15:56:44 »
No, they were sitting outside rusting- maybe by mistake but they were outside in a pile or something.
Colt Ward

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2017, 17:03:23 »
The middle one is a French or SA armored car, did carry a 75mm gun or such.  But yeah, things like that . . .
Alvis Saladin actually  ;D

not having read the book, is it is possible the systems they got for making armor wasn't actually on the lot as junk, but was actually part of the business's Shop? that is, the business had a 'bodyshop' side business that built/repaired/customized units (which seems to be true for a lot of used vehicle/junkyard businesses IRL), and the group just bought up a set of spare hardware the lot had for armor manufacturing and repair?
No, the equipment was not in use by the shop as capital assets. The novel makes a bit of a joke out of the equipment being located outside far away from the functioning, "ready-to-use" Mechs in the "front display".

Which is a stereotype I find to be Truth In Fiction, at least as far as my local electronic goods shopping mall is concerned: the latest gadgets and most high-priced hardware is found out front, one has to go deep into the backalleys to find the better deals. Also, the more you know how to repair computers, cars, etc. the less you end up paying, naturally - that is a large part of how the mercs in the story helped the Mexican villagers Republic citizens fend off the bandits with the purchase of this equipment.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2017, 19:30:19 »
As a side note, this thread is the first time I have ever seen anyone describe Patriots Stand as anything other then god-awful
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2017, 21:27:12 »
Yeah, even DRT has fans.  Two or three at least.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2017, 07:04:33 »
It's a story about a bunch of people banding together as the little guys to fight the space -fascists/mustache twirling villains and their paid minions who while not bad are being paid to support the forces of evil.

Who cares that the plot revolves around a person using an ATM card and a sack of gems or two to buy an army. It's about the underdog fighting back no matter the cost.

Anyways....