Author Topic: Using new Demolition Engineers  (Read 1487 times)

visplaneoverflow

• Recruit
Using new Demolition Engineers
« on: 29 September 2017, 23:56:19 »
I've got an unusual one. I'm trying to setup a scenario where a player is supposed to use the new Demolition Engineer infantry to set off a trap for an ambush.

The concept is to use the engineers to place charges on a set of fuel tanks, then blow the tanks when the enemy closes in. The problem is that it seems fuel tanks are not a valid target for laying explosives!

It seems counterintuitive that you can't place explosives on a structure that's meant to explode. Infantry engineers can only wire up actual buildings, apparently - and fuel tanks aren't considered a building. Is this behavior intended? Is there some way to circumvent this limitation with clever usage of the map editor?

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Re: Using new Demolition Engineers
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2017, 06:21:18 »
Is it possible to put a fuel tank and building in the same hex? Effectively a fuel tank in a building?
(I'm trying to remember whether I did that in the past, without actually firing up the map editor ... which I'll probably do after lunch, at this rate!)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

visplaneoverflow

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2017, 11:38:12 »
I tried to do just that, create a fuel tank inside a building, and while it seems to work - you can still only target the building for laying explosives, and when you detonate the charges it just harmlessly crumbles the structure (including the fuel tank) without any of the massive destruction or collateral damage that we really want.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2017, 14:25:19 »
I tried to do just that, create a fuel tank inside a building, and while it seems to work - you can still only target the building for laying explosives, and when you detonate the charges it just harmlessly crumbles the structure (including the fuel tank) without any of the massive destruction or collateral damage that we really want.

Best to open a bug report on the tracker, links in my sig.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

visplaneoverflow

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2017, 14:55:16 »
Okay, I created a bug report and attached a savegame that will ideally show off the behaviour I'm describing.