Author Topic: Word of Blake Level IIs...  (Read 11446 times)

klarg1

• Captain
Re: Word of Blake Level IIs...
« Reply #60 on: 13 November 2017, 13:44:07 »
Sorry I'm late - work now blocks the site  :( >:(

I got an unofficial word of advice from Herb Beas when he was the Line Dev - in short, if the APC is 'inoffensive', then don't count it as part of the LII. If the APC is battle-worthy in itself, then it counts.

So for example, 6 Achileus LIs in 6 Hover APCs is a LII. Four Shedu in two Maxim(I)s are a Level II. Two Bollas with four Se'irim LIs (each has one in, one out) is a LII.

Rough rule of thumb: if it has (in AS terms) more than 1 attack at short range, or 0* at medium or long, it's "offensive".

Side note - we're unlikely to ever see Combat Manual: Word of Blake, so I've come up with my own way of building AS forces. Short form: if a BA or Infantry LI has a dedicated assigned carrier, you can sub a carrier's stats to 'sub' for the LI's limit. So (for example) the aforementioned LI of Achileus with hover APCs can be a Light Recon LII. Purifiers in Magi UCSV can count as having 10" move. Und so weiter.

Hope that makes sense,

W.

That is pretty much the rule of thumb I have followed when building CS/WoB forces. Without it, small APCs use up your limited vehicle allotment way too quickly, with very questionable return on investment.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #61 on: 18 November 2017, 14:51:06 »
No, the MG version has only one damage at SR - 1/0/0. More than 1 at SR, more than 0* at MR or LR, that's my version.

The LRM version is also OK - 1/0*/0*

The SRM version isn't OK by that interpretation - 1/1/0. And the Scout version is not OK, because it doesn't have any IT ;)

Like I said, it's a rule of thumb. If you chose to put each half of a LI of infantry (remember, two 18-man units on the map) into a hover APC each, I'd call that one "unit" for unit building. Herb's Rule #1 applies - "whatever works on your table" O0

The more I think about this the more I like it.

With the limit of 1 APC per L1 unit.   So the 36 man units have to use the basic Hover APC & not the weaponized versions.

Which nicely means the 7 ton bay of the Karnov-3058 will hold a 36 man Blakist Jump Platoon perfectly.

Motorized-36 man platoons will need an 8 ton bay which the Karnov-BA supplies.

Given they created the Karnov, I like where this is going.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 19 November 2017, 00:30:14 »
That's another thing to take into account if you're playing the WoB. If you make an actual WoB platoon, you're looking at 4 tons for a Foot Infantry platoon to transport it, rather than just 3. It isn't a major issue, but it will reduce the options you have.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #63 on: 23 November 2017, 15:00:15 »
WOB / Comstar would be using more like, Wheeled - Hover -Tracked APC, standard with most of them 4x SRM variants and only 2x LRMs + the 36-trooper Foot.

This means that the SRM can't fire their SRM's anywhere but front.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 28 November 2017, 14:07:56 »
I think the key is a Level III with combined arms.  So a Level II maybe pure, but there should be some Level II's that are combined arms. 
(If you make your Level III an independent command you can easily justify no air support.)

For example, my WOB division doesn't have any aerospace fighters attached to it.  The cheap fiction for this unit is a ROM paramilitary force 4 Level III's with an attached Level III of MD (pure 36 mechs all Celestials) and an Artillery Level III.  (Four Marksman artillery pieces and two Demon tanks in four separate Level II's with two additional Level II's as three Maxims and three infantry platoons for security/support.)

Also, you might consider the use of Choirs to justify your infantry and Maxim transport.  (A Choir is the WOB version of a Clan nova.)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 28 November 2017, 14:17:48 »
The scenario for my division was the deployment of this Level IV to Donegal in an attempt to trap and capture/kill Victor.  The MD Level III and the artillery Level III were attached only for this mission/convention.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 28 November 2017, 21:18:00 »
and an Artillery Level III.  (Four Marksman artillery pieces and two Demon tanks in four separate Level II's with two additional Level II's as three Maxims and three infantry platoons for security/support.)

Strange unit idea of yours... I find this curiously underwhelming.

I have a similar set up, but uses C3i.

2 Level II's worth : 3x Thor C3i, 2x SRM Carrier (Blakist), 1x LRM Carrier (Blakist)
2 Level II's worth : 5x Puma-007, 1x Puma-008
2 Level II's worth : 2x Galleon-103, 2x Galleon-104, 1x Magi UCSV, 1x Purifier Adaptive BA (PPC)

But I guess we think alike.

TT
« Last Edit: 28 November 2017, 21:19:59 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #67 on: 29 November 2017, 07:45:43 »
Well, the initial plan was to have nine games of battletech going on at once with each table consisting of a binary//(supernova) Clan WIE, Lyran company, ComStar and WOB Blake would use 2 to 4 Level II's.  Both sides could call in artillery support but the Word of Blake commander would be overseeing all nine battles and allocating artillery as he/she saw fit. 
Naturally, the Coalition would have done a headhunter strike so there would have been a tenth battle going on the table where the artillery Level III would have been located so the WOB commander would have been allocating artillery while trying to protect his artillery support at the same time. 

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 29 November 2017, 08:17:51 »
Ah.... I see now.

See in mine, I have the Thor locate a position and set up shop with the LRM providing over watch, and then setting loose the SRMs to look for targets. They're the ones with TAG and ECM moving 4/6 all the way. The LRM moves same, if needed.

The main battle units are the Pumas with the Galleon / Magi UCSV as the scouts for the unit. I could always drop one of these for another Thor unit if need be.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Register