Author Topic: When to pass on the baton  (Read 5657 times)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Re: When to pass on the baton
« Reply #30 on: 07 January 2018, 16:27:46 »
Because in the novel...

She's a clone.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 07 January 2018, 16:32:55 »
As I said initially, we're not all using the same definition of "clone".

As far as "the question", that has to do with "when to pass on the baton".

But to answer your question, Black Knyght, I would call her his "daughter".

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #32 on: 07 January 2018, 16:34:34 »
You're doing great at saying what Maeve isn't, but you're also avoiding answering the question all the same - What would you call Maeve? How would you define her?

A genetic reproduction of the opposite gender?

BTW, please remind me...was Maeve a case of just removing the Y chromosome, or did they also replace it with another X chromosome? The former can result in some genetic issues (reference Turner syndrome)...

Of course, if this conversation continues much more, it might be best to make it its own thread...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Dark Jackal

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 08 January 2018, 15:48:56 »
There are more conventional ways to pass the baton either through blood, marriage, or just retiring.

Then there are other ways by mentoring someone to rise as a protege of the group's philosophy. It does not necessarily have to be for good purposes and can be influenced by intrigue and ways to gain power or control.

Excerpt from Dark Ages: Knights of the Old Republic:

Senator Kerensky: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Khan McEvedy The Wise?

Anakin: No?

Senator Kerensky: I thought not. It's not a story the Warrior Caste will tell you. It's a Clan legend. Khan McEvedy was the Dark Lord of the Not Named Clan, so powerful so wise she could use her Clan's Force of will to create change in the Clan ways ... She had such knowledge of the dark side she could keep the ones she cared for from dying.

>:D

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #34 on: 08 January 2018, 17:10:12 »
In my campaign (a mix of RPG and on going table top tactical campaign) the unit, the White Hawk Irregulars, were founded in 3022 by then 20 year old Gabriel Hawk. Gabriel died fighting Clan Wolf in 3050 and his daughter, 19 year old Melandryse, took over the remains of the unit and rebuilt it. She died in 3077 fighting the WoB and the unit went to her son, Damian Hawk, then 19. Damian joined the White Hawks to Stones army and after the Jihad helped in the defence of the young Republic as an independent contract unit attached to the Republic military. In 3095, the unit was disbanded and cashed out their mechs (supposedly) during the arms draw-down and the core officers became landed gentleman farmers and industrialist in Prefecture 4. Damian son, Michael, thought the military was a waste in the peaceful Republic and ran the family's successful agribusiness,  but his grand-daughter, Persephone, trained as a reserve mechwarrior with the Republic militia. When the Black-Out happened, 75 year old Damian, now in a wheelchair, called Persephone home and revealed that the 4 officers of the White Hawks had kept their mechs in secret, thanks to friends in the service doctoring asset records, for a time in the future when thier world might need protecting. Not fully trusting Stones visions of an enlightened peace lasting... so the baton has passed to 22 year old Persephone Hawk, and the reborn White Hawks are a single lance of hand-me-down mechs in serious need of some maintenance, just like 3022, ready to go to war once again...

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #35 on: 08 January 2018, 22:27:33 »
In my campaign (a mix of RPG and on going table top tactical campaign) the unit, the White Hawk Irregulars, were founded in 3022 by then 20 year old Gabriel Hawk. Gabriel died fighting Clan Wolf in 3050 and his daughter, 19 year old Melandryse, took over the remains of the unit and rebuilt it. She died in 3077 fighting the WoB and the unit went to her son, Damian Hawk, then 19. Damian joined the White Hawks to Stones army and after the Jihad helped in the defence of the young Republic as an independent contract unit attached to the Republic military. In 3095, the unit was disbanded and cashed out their mechs (supposedly) during the arms draw-down and the core officers became landed gentleman farmers and industrialist in Prefecture 4. Damian son, Michael, thought the military was a waste in the peaceful Republic and ran the family's successful agribusiness,  but his grand-daughter, Persephone, trained as a reserve mechwarrior with the Republic militia. When the Black-Out happened, 75 year old Damian, now in a wheelchair, called Persephone home and revealed that the 4 officers of the White Hawks had kept their mechs in secret, thanks to friends in the service doctoring asset records, for a time in the future when thier world might need protecting. Not fully trusting Stones visions of an enlightened peace lasting... so the baton has passed to 22 year old Persephone Hawk, and the reborn White Hawks are a single lance of hand-me-down mechs in serious need of some maintenance, just like 3022, ready to go to war once again...

Not bad!  ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #36 on: 08 January 2018, 23:26:18 »

Consider this stolen with names changed to protect the innocent.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 09 January 2018, 04:11:43 »

Love this!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067