Author Topic: Cosmos LAM  (Read 1319 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Cosmos LAM
« on: 01 January 2018, 22:20:05 »

file photo of a Cosmos running through its paces.

Cosmos CSM-1X (Bi-modal LAM)
IS experimental
25 tons 
BV: 521
Cost: 1,958,542 C-bills

A persistent little mystery, the Cosmos is a previously unknown Land-Air Mech design unearthed by Republic engineers on Mars in the early 3090s, and its existence is a headache for everybody concerned. The Cosmos is a bi-modal design, lacking the airmech mode that ultimately made LAMs so effective. These design standards were abandoned for good reason back when the first Shadow Hawk LAMs were being experimented on, and it is unknown why anybody would decide to repeat that failure. Also, the Cosmos isn't even particularly good as an aircraft. Even beyond the limitations inherent in being an LAM, the Cosmos is built as a saucer. It has all the same problems as the Thrush and Sholagar, but worse, because it has no control surfaces at all and has to maneuver using pure thrust. The craft handles so poorly that our only atmospheric test flight resulted in it burying itself into the side of Mount Hood in Oregon (not Mount St Hellens, Dave. Learn your geography). The Cosmos handles much better in space, leading us to wonder if it wasn't intended as some sort of purely spaceborn combatant.

We recovered four of these Cosmos battlemechs from the Martian cache and relocated them to our Groom Lake research facility (which for some reason Dave won't stop giggling about). Of the four, three were equipped with a normal cockpit and controls, while the fourth contains the remains of a half put together robotic control system. I'd pay money to see a robotic brain try to fly one of these things in the atmosphere.

Design Quirks: Atmospheric Flight Instability, Hard to Pilot (in atmosphere only), Non-standard parts, Obsolete (2777)

Movement: 5/8/5
Engine: 125
Heat Sinks: 10
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 43
Armor: 64/89
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Head                        3        9
Center Torso                8        9
Center Torso (rear)                  2
Right Torso                 6        7
Right Torso (rear)                   2
Left Torso                  6        7
Left Torso (rear)                    2
Right Arm                   4        6
Left Arm                    4        6
Right Leg                   6        7
Left Leg                    6        7

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
Medium Pulse Laser              LT     4
Medium Pulse Laser              RT     4

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Standard                       None
Standard                       None

(and because I've not been the least bit subtle about it, the Cosmos type Autobops fighting with the Autonomous Barony would use standard lasers to make room for their robotic brains, and get a half ton of extra armor in the deal).  :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Cosmos LAM
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2018, 23:17:43 »
AutoBoPs on Syberia use standard 3-ton cockpits, despite being autonomous robots. :)

I'm currently wanting to coopt this, and figure out how to cram in a crapton of comm gear. Drop to 4/6/4 maybe?

Edit: Just some back of the envelope calls, but I show 4/6/4 with the same armor gives you 5.5 tons for weaponry total, which is weird, because I thought a 125 rating engine was 4.5 tons, so I would have expected to free up 3 tons.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2018, 23:46:27 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2018, 16:24:49 »
The Urbanmechs of LAMs!  (It's the picture...)  Pretty cool, Liam's Ghost!  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2018, 19:02:42 »
AutoBoPs on Syberia use standard 3-ton cockpits, despite being autonomous robots. :)

Man, they get all the best stuff.

I'm currently wanting to coopt this, and figure out how to cram in a crapton of comm gear. Drop to 4/6/4 maybe?

Edit: Just some back of the envelope calls, but I show 4/6/4 with the same armor gives you 5.5 tons for weaponry total, which is weird, because I thought a 125 rating engine was 4.5 tons, so I would have expected to free up 3 tons.

The 125 engine is four tons, so you should get back two tons from downgrading it. (including the smaller gyro and the removal of a jump jet).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2018, 21:11:57 »
Man, they get all the best stuff.

The 125 engine is four tons, so you should get back two tons from downgrading it. (including the smaller gyro and the removal of a jump jet).

Ok, that might explain it. IIRC, bimodals are 15% mass for conversion gear, rounded up to the whole ton, right?  So for 4/6/4, I get:

Engine: 3.0 tons
Cockpit: 3.0 tons
Gyro: 1.0 ton
Internal Structure: 2.5 tons
Bimodal LAM Conversion: 4.0 ton
Jump Jets (4): 2.0 tons
Armor (64 pts): 4.0 tons
Payload: 5.5 tons

'Mechs are considered to have 1 ton of comm gear free, and need 3 tons for ECCM at half a Guardian's strength.  Four toms are needed for satellite uplinks.  So, with 3 tons of extra communications equipment plus the integral 1 ton equivalent, that leaves 1.5 tons for weaponry, enough for a small and medium laser, like a Swift, or just 3 small lasers.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2018, 10:08:40 »
A post SL LAM without composite IS and small cockpit . Put in both up the tonnage to 50  to save 3 1/2 of the 5 1/2 tons of LAM equipment . May even upgrade to Variable Pulse lasers .

Register