Author Topic: A walk down nostalgia avenue - Ulysees 31  (Read 2109 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
A walk down nostalgia avenue - Ulysees 31
« on: 03 January 2018, 11:01:51 »
Some of you may remember a Cartoon called Ulysees 31, it was basically 'Greek Mythology (with NO sex or Zeus icky shenanigans) for Kids.' IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! 

It was very much a child of the late 70's early 80s and was a mix of Japanese anime style animation but with a Western feel/look to it and with it being VA'd in European languages (and i'll come back to this later) and I LOVED the asthetic and look of it which drew heavily on current influences at the time (Ulysees had a bloody lightsaber for gods sake), oh and the space ship looked COOL

And the OST was AMAZING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6NBAZrdjQw

Basic story was Ulysees and his Companions (kids, and cute robot sidekicks included) are trying to get home to Earth when Ulysee's kid gets kidnapped by Aliens who worship the Cyclops.  In a battle the evil is defeated but Poseidon is pissy (but then again of the Greek gods he was probably the worst, he was basically a sociopath) gets Zeus to do Zeus shenanigans as punishment. The crew of the ship are all put in suspended animation until they reach the Realm of Hades. So we're left with Ulysees and his kid, a girl and their robot (TOTALLY NOT TRANSFORMERS HONEST) companions in a huge space ship trying to get home whilst being dicked over by the Greek gods and various underlings of said Gods.

The animation and style for the time was very good, but its aged rather poorly but the biggest weakness now that i've watched it recently is the voice acting.

They don't put ANY inflection into their voices.  They don't sound robotic, but they talk in this same level tone no matter what.  And to emphasise something they do the 'ol Speed Racer trick of talking faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zdS262o_8&feature=youtu.be&t=256

As an example. (its meant to be at that point of 4.16 in)

Listen to the girl speaking its literally a case of

"But father I want him."
"No."
"ButfatherIneedhimIwanthimgivehimtome."

If you can stand the bad voice acting, I still seriously recommend watching this show.  Its good fun with a unique look to it and feel as well, plus, Greek Mythology in space. is good.

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: A walk down nostalgia avenue - Ulysees 31
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2018, 11:34:57 »

I remember this show from my youth, a definite recommendation.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2018, 12:48:52 »

It was very much a child of the late 70's early 80s and was a mix of Japanese anime style animation but with a Western feel/look to it

It was a Japanese/French co-production, there were a few of those in the 80s, notably Ulysses, Mysterious Cities of Gold, and Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2018, 13:04:03 »
All of which were cartoons of my childhood :D  And all three themesongs are SEARED into the meat of my brain.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2018, 13:09:38 »
It was a Japanese/French co-production, there were a few of those in the 80s, notably Ulysses, Mysterious Cities of Gold, and Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds
forgot jayce and wheeled warriors same time frame
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2018, 13:16:35 »
M.A.S.K    ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2018, 13:17:14 »
... And "Once upon a time... Space"  (though it may not have crossed the Atlantic) which started this cooperation era (Hey guys, we need Sci-Fi shows for children, with high-quality story and top animation. Let's do this, FOR PRIME TIME!).
In France, Ulysses 31 is a cult classic, and many people born in the early 80's know the title song by heart, even now.

If the dubbing is meh-ish, what about watching it in the original version with subtitles? After all, manga fans already do this :)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2018, 13:22:16 »
"Once Upon a Time... Life"

Was also very good.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2018, 13:23:48 »
... And "Once upon a time... Space"  (though it may not have crossed the Atlantic) which started this cooperation era (Hey guys, we need Sci-Fi shows for children, with high-quality story and top animation. Let's do this, FOR PRIME TIME!).
In France, Ulysses 31 is a cult classic, and many people born in the early 80's know the title song by heart, even now.

If the dubbing is meh-ish, what about watching it in the original version with subtitles? After all, manga fans already do this :)
once upon a time it made it accross the pond but it was never popular i only saw it once and one episode on very early version of nikolodeon back in 84/85
as good as once upon a time series were and still are america never warmed up to it because majority of it was educational and had no toys attached to it.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2018, 13:25:24 by elf25s »
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2018, 14:10:10 »

Jayce was animated in Japan, but it was a US/Canadian production

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2018, 14:26:07 »
As was Galaxy Rangers.  Matter of fact, one of the three studios that did animation for the show - the one that was used for the really high end animation, the high-quality episodes/scenes that the production staff didn't want to scrimp on - was Tokyo Movie Shinsha, with artistic credits up to and including the Akira film.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2018, 15:11:31 »
Galaxy Rangers were great.  I didn't like how they re-used footage to end the series, but at least they did.
Some of the bits were bit...kidish too much. 

Ulysees 31, i've heard of but i've never saw it in my area.  Channels i had were Force Five (GetterRobo/Starvangers/Danguard Ace/Spacketters/Grandizer/Guyking), Star Blazers, Speed Racer, Voltron, and later years Robotech.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2018, 15:47:26 »
I know there was some space cartoon that had like backing from NASA, and the toys had magnets in 'em so they would do stuff when you pressed buttons on them.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2018, 15:59:00 »
I know there was some space cartoon that had like backing from NASA, and the toys had magnets in 'em so they would do stuff when you pressed buttons on them.
Starcom: The U.S. Space Force ?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2018, 16:14:08 »
It was indeed Starcom.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2018, 16:31:45 »
I actually remember having a few of the toys to that too.
They were kinda of neat.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2018, 18:47:25 »
As a Quebecois, I was lucky to see all these great series in their original (french) versions, or in french for the Japanese animes.

Quebec is a nexus for the fans of American, European and Japanese comics or animation. If it exist in french or English, we will have it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 03 January 2018, 20:11:29 »
Starcom was good one, though it washttp://bg.battletech.com/forums/Smileys/default/shocked.gif short lived unfortunately.

Captain Harlock and Queen of thousand years was broadcast in it's original form (in french) from a Quebcian channel i received in the 80s.  Apparently, censorship wasn't thing back then, you could see less well dressed alien humans running around in that show.  :o
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 03 January 2018, 20:22:41 »

With current technology, it should be possible to make a movie trilogy based upon Ulysees 31.
I would watch it.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2018, 10:38:32 »
Good times... saw most of those cartoons... much better IMO than that later crap like Dragonball, Naruto and others.

Even Thunderbirds or X Bomber (my favorite) were very good (although not cartoon but animatronic/puppets/whatever).
« Last Edit: 09 January 2018, 10:41:21 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2018, 14:38:59 »
And now I have the theme song stuck in my head...

UylsseeeEEEEEeeeeEEEeees!  Always fighting all the evil forces, bringing peace & justice to all!
« Last Edit: 09 January 2018, 14:42:54 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2018, 14:59:11 »
Good times... saw most of those cartoons... much better IMO than that later crap like Dragonball, Naruto and others.

Dragonball aired only 5 years after Ulysses in Japan!

Even Thunderbirds or X Bomber (my favorite) were very good (although not cartoon but animatronic/puppets/whatever).

Fun fact, X-Bomber was created by Go Nagai, creator of Mazinger, Getter Robo, Devilman, and, uh Violence Jack and Kekko Kamen

Register