Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Morrigan  (Read 8167 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
'Mech of the Week: Morrigan
« on: 20 May 2011, 07:37:53 »
'Mech of the Week: Morrigan

Today's 'Mech of the Week comes from TRO 3085. It continues a rebuilding trend started by Clan Nova Cat, but it also continues the work of integrating 'Mechs that initially appeared in the 'MechWarrior: Dark Age game and it's expansion sets. Today's 'Mech of the Week is the Morrigan. (And if you haven't seen it, I think the art in TRO 3085 is pretty cool for this 'Mech).

With limited supplies and limited production facilities, Clan Nova Cat designed the Arbalest as a cheap, easy to build light 'Mech that could fill in gaps in its second-line forces and giving them some limited material for trading. While it was quick and easy to build, the Nova Cats needed another light 'Mech with more punch. At the same time, the Draconis Combine was looking for some way to gain access to more Clan technology, and the Combine was willing to assist in design and production in exchange for some production runs.

With supplies of raw materials coming in from Combine sources, the Nova Cats went all out on the Morrigan. It uses an XL engine to move the 35 tonner at a 8/12 speed and save tonnage. An endo steel chassis and ferro-fibrous armor add to the weight savings. The designers took care when designing the armor layout, even though it only has 88% coverage it has an almost perfect layout for the amount of armor it has. The torso carries a 10/15/10 pattern across the front and a 5/7/5 pattern across the rear. Each arm carries 8 points and each leg carries 14 points of armor. My only wish would be to move 1 point from each arm to each leg, or add more armor in general.

With good speed and a relatively good armor shell, it all comes down to the weapons, and the designers did a pretty good job, giving the 'Mech a variety of options even though it's not an Omni. Each torso location carries an ATM3, with 3 tons total of ammunition, not that scary on their own, they can work well as long-range harassers or as short range crit-seekers. But the fun doesn't stop there, in the right arm is a Heavy Large Laser, tied into a targeting computer in the right torso. The left torso carries an Active Probe, allowing this 'Mech to use it's speed in a scouting role as well. With only 10 double heat sinks, alpha striking will soon take you into your own sauna, but if you stick to firing the Heavy Large Laser OR the ATMs you should be fine.

My rating: 8/10, a good versatile scout 'Mech, great in a duelist role, as a scout, or a light or medium 'Mech hunter.

How I would improve it:
Dropping the Active Probe, or a ton of ATM ammo would let you add another heat sink, allowing you to fire all of your weapons more often. Or dropping both would let you add a fourth ATM rack and some armor/Light Active Probe/any other 0.5 ton weapon/equipment.

How I would use it/fight it:
If I was given one, I would use the speed and ATMs to fire while closing to short range to bring the Heavy Large Laser into play. With such a large weapon it can be a threat to any 'Mech on the field, but it's speed should help it avoid a lot of enemy fire. Whenever possible, I would move it to generate the maximum defensive movement modifier, saving the armor as much as possible.

With all that speed, staying out of range of the Heavy Large Laser would be tough, but pulse lasers would make closing range more bearable, hopefully I could land some shots to slow it down.

Variants
The first variant is the Morrigan 2. With limited access to supplies of Clan-made ammo, the Combine wanted a version that dropped the missile racks in favor an all energy variant. An ER Medium Laser, a pair of ER Small Lasers, and a Small Pulse Laser in each side torso replace the missiles and their ammo. This caused the targeting computer to increase in tonnage, necessitating the removal of the Active Probe. Fortunately one extra double heat sink was added in the engine and a half ton of armor was added, mostly to the arms.

Overall it's better in longer campaigns where ammo supplies are limited, but it's lost a lot of range on it's firepower.

My rating: 6/10, it's still good, but not quite as versatile, though with the Small Pulse Lasers it can tear through enemy infantry formations.
EDIT: In hindsight, I'd bump this up to a 7/10, almost as good as the original, but in different ways, the only drawback is the lack of long range weapons

How I would improve it:
You know, I'm not quite sure how to improve this one other than juggling the lasers and heat sinks.

It's still got the speed and the big short ranged headchopper, so it still needs to get in close, but this time it can't provide it's own long range cover fire, so it needs to skirt the battlefield or use terrain for cover more effectively.

This time I would focus more on trying to bring it down before it closes range, or focus on overheating it with plasma weapons and inferno ammo.

The second variant is the Morrigan 3. It takes the Morrigan 2 and trade the targeting computer and Heavy Large Laser for an Inner Sphere BattleMech Taser and 2 tons of ammo. Intended for Combine Special Operations forces, this could be used for capturing enemy 'Mechs more easily or attempting to capture enemy leaders.

Overall it's an oddity. In theory or fluff the Taser could be useful, but based on the table-top rules targeting an enemy 'Mech you need to hit an 11 or 12 to shut down the targeted unit for 3 turns.

My rating: 4/10, a great variant for RPG play or with house rules, but not so good for stock rules.

How I would improve it:
If you want to keep the Taser, I would trade off the ER Small Lasers for more ER Medium Lasers to give it more of a punch while attempting to get in position to use the Taser, otherwise, just go back to the Morrigan 2.

Honestly, I would probably not bring this variant without using special house rules. But if I had to, get in close and stay there, hopefully you can shut down an enemy and then use the backup lasers to disable the enemy.

Fighting against it, don't worry about the Taser too much, focus more on taking the 'Mech out of play.

NEW MODELS: COMING SOON TO A BATTLEFIELD NEAR YOU!

With the standardization of new weapons, trusty, well used Morrigans were upgraded for the ever changing battlefield. Two new variants, the Morrigan 4 and 5, have joined the fray. While not stated in TRO3145's NTNU, it appears these two variants are either weapon swaps of the 2 and 3 variants, or new production using the 2 and 3 variants as a starting point.

Both the 4 and 5 keep the same increased armor of the 2 and 3 variants and the general weapons layout of all the previous Morrigans. The Morrigan 4 is a tactical successor to the Morrigan 3, trading the 'Mech Taser for a TSEMP Cannon and trading the varied laser battery for a quintet of ER Small Lasers in each side torso. Two more double heat sinks were added to bring the total up to twelve. This doesn't allow for carefree alpha strikes, but managing the heat scale is easy enough a cadet can do it.

While still fairly short-ranged, the addition of the TSEMP Cannon increases the usefulness of the Morrigan 4, while making it a much bigger target. The typical light 'Mech strategies of keeping up your defensive modifier and limiting incoming fire still apply here, but the 4 variant can also be used as a threat, to attempt to herd the enemy's movement and distract the enemy's forces.

The Morrigan 5 goes back to the deign philosophy of the original, multiple lightweight missile racks with a targeting computer-assisted headcapper. This version is an improvement over the original, opting for a pair of Streak LRM 5 racks and an ERPPC. Some people might complain this is too good, too obvious, or too boring of an upgrade, but it works. It may not have as many clusters of missiles or as much damage potential at medium and short ranges, but the Streak technology makes sure every missile hits (short of an AMS interfering). The base ten double heat sinks mean you might occasionally have to use the heat scale, but outside of engine damage or external heat sources, the heat scale is just decoration on your recordsheet. I can think of a player in our local group who would absolutely love this 'Mech, running around a longer ranges, firing from where his opponent needs 11's or 12's to hit him.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2017, 09:32:23 by wantec »
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Morrigan
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2011, 19:28:48 »
Good speed, good armor, and reasonable firepower on the original and the 2.  HLLs aren't my favorite weapons but they're definitely workable with support like this.  Overall, I like it.  Keep in mind that a 2 can, if it's willing to eat the overheat, generate an absolutely staggering volume of laser fire if it gets a good spread of TNs.

The 3 is more problematic.  After looking at the same problem of the taser on the Raptor II, I think people are misunderstanding their real tactical application by focusing on the potential to disable a BattleMech.  Sure, it's a potential function, but that's not likely enough to happen to be worth factoring into your plans.  What's really valuable here is the disruption of 5 heat (on 'Mechs and ASFs, anyway) and a +2 on all the skill rolls (piloting and gunnery) for 3-4 turns after that, so slap the taser on them and then on the next turn (while the taser carrier is probably running like they stole something), pour fire into the target which will both be less able to defend itself and more likely to fail a PSR.  They're also much better at disabling vehicles or ProtoMechs.  Not a line weapon by any means but for certain situations I can see the appeal.  It would probably fit better as a tool in an Omni's arsenal where it can be pulled and replaced by something else when the conditions may not be suitable.

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 03:12:29 »
With this and the Pack Hunter, it seems the Combine is getting an interesting amount of Clan Lights.

Still, I think I am in agreement with the Combine here when it comes to design and favour the 2.  Rather have a Parash or Pack Hunter though :D

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2011, 12:19:36 »
Good speed, good armor, and reasonable firepower on the original and the 2.  HLLs aren't my favorite weapons but they're definitely workable with support like this.  Overall, I like it.  Keep in mind that a 2 can, if it's willing to eat the overheat, generate an absolutely staggering volume of laser fire if it gets a good spread of TNs.

The 3 is more problematic.  After looking at the same problem of the taser on the Raptor II, I think people are misunderstanding their real tactical application by focusing on the potential to disable a BattleMech.  Sure, it's a potential function, but that's not likely enough to happen to be worth factoring into your plans.  What's really valuable here is the disruption of 5 heat (on 'Mechs and ASFs, anyway) and a +2 on all the skill rolls (piloting and gunnery) for 3-4 turns after that, so slap the taser on them and then on the next turn (while the taser carrier is probably running like they stole something), pour fire into the target which will both be less able to defend itself and more likely to fail a PSR.  They're also much better at disabling vehicles or ProtoMechs.  Not a line weapon by any means but for certain situations I can see the appeal.  It would probably fit better as a tool in an Omni's arsenal where it can be pulled and replaced by something else when the conditions may not be suitable.
the Mech Taser is akin to the Plasma Cannon, but have uses on the battlefield, but in most cases it's just not that useful for the tonnage.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2011, 12:23:32 »
Agreed.  It's an interesting challenge to make the taser work for you, though.  I'm also surprised people haven't commented on this article.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2011, 07:28:31 »
Agreed.  It's an interesting challenge to make the taser work for you, though.  I'm also surprised people haven't commented on this article.
I guess it's not as interesting a mech as we thought. Or maybe folks are still sifting their way through the more popular mechs in TRO3085

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2011, 07:51:46 »
I guess it's not as interesting a mech as we thought. Or maybe folks are still sifting their way through the more popular mechs in TRO3085

I like the base model. I agree with the article. I do not have anything interesting to add. To get more comments you need a more controversial mech that people can disagree about.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2011, 15:13:03 »
I tested the base model today. It was very, very dangerous. The ATM3 deliver a surprising amount of damage and the 16 points of the HLL are lovely. The problem is that it is somewhat expensive and a little too fragile for my tastes.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2011, 09:49:20 »
I just got to use one of these in a Nova Cat/FWL fight the other day. Really effective for a light, and the ATM was a big help against the vehicles. Even with all the TacOps vehicle rules (TacOps rules in general) that we use, this was able to hit those side arcs easily and start critting away. Along side the newer Nova Cat vehicles and a few Thunderbirds, it really showed me that you can have just a few Mechs and do a Dark Age style army build successfully.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2017, 09:53:35 »
Revised the original post to add images and add the two newer variants.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2017, 18:10:46 »
< This poster has just had his dreams crushed.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2017, 19:02:48 »
This 'Mech definitely falls into my "rarely ever fielded, but still loved" catagory. Only time I've really had a chance to run one is in the occasion grinders I've put together for my group.

Still partial to the standard model: I'm just not that big a fan of all the small lasers on the Combine variant. (Haven't touched any of the newers variants so can't comment.)

Best memory of one was the very first grinder I used one in: not every day a Light 'Mech takes down an Assault 'Mech on its own (granted, I got some very lucky rolls with the HE ATMs).

I just wish the mini wasn't so awkward.  :-\

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2017, 19:41:03 »
A good article a bit before my time here.
The 4 definitely looks rather juicy. Are the ER Smalls still clanspec? If so, that's a rather noticeable amount of raw damage.

Oh, and.... the missiles are rather stubby, no?
There's those sizeable racks, but with the arms mounted there they might as well be cosmetic.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2017, 00:50:20 »
I've used the Morrigan 5 a fair few times now as a command 'Mech for DCMS scout lances, and it works wonderfully in that regard. It pairs particularly nicely with the Rokurokubi 4X.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2017, 07:59:28 »
I like the original, the Morrigan 4 and 5.  After time in service, these later ones correct and improve the design.  That's what variants are in real life, improvements. Improvements and sometimes replacements for the original.  When MWDA came out, I had always thought that the figure showed it was either missile boat or a laser boat.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2017, 08:24:14 »
A good article a bit before my time here.
The 4 definitely looks rather juicy. Are the ER Smalls still clanspec? If so, that's a rather noticeable amount of raw damage.

Oh, and.... the missiles are rather stubby, no?
There's those sizeable racks, but with the arms mounted there they might as well be cosmetic.
The only non Clan tech is the 'Mech Taser and the TSEMP Cannon. Which all makes for a rather nasty surprise when switching over to Alpha Strike where the ER Smalls and Small Pulses both reach to medium range.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2017, 11:12:26 »
I picked up the mini only because of the name.  And that the Vampyre Savior / Darkstalker paint scheme worked for it  ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #17 on: 03 March 2017, 23:45:28 »
I picked up the mini only because of the name.  And that the Vampyre Savior / Darkstalker paint scheme worked for it  ;D

Morrigan approves.  +5
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2017, 01:02:07 »
I dunno what this says about me, but until the TSEMP version came along, i just found the Morrigan to be a dull psuedo hankyu knockoff.  This was compounded when the Bakeneko became unveiled and showed a much more interesting nova cat mech
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 04 March 2017, 06:28:07 »
Speaking of TSEMP, would a boosted C3 still work after you fired it?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #20 on: 04 March 2017, 12:43:02 »
Speaking of TSEMP, would a boosted C3 still work after you fired it?
Rules state that the firing unit suffers from interference consistent with a hostile ECM field.  So the answer would be no.  This gives me a silly idea though to try out later with C3 dispenser on a TSEMP armed unit.  I will have to look over rulings later and or ask a rules question in either case to see if it is worth wild.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 04 March 2017, 18:50:17 »
Well; That's why I wonder; a boosted C3 should still function if it's just a hostile ECM field. It just seems kinda... gimmicky.
Ah, well, the Morrigan doesn't have one, anyways.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #22 on: 05 March 2017, 00:51:48 »
Well; That's why I wonder; a boosted C3 should still function if it's just a hostile ECM field. It just seems kinda... gimmicky.
The language used to describe the effect doesn't refer to ECM in the sense of the different effectiveness of  Guardian (or Clan ECM) or Angel.  It is simply a catch all wording in the interest of game balance.  If some level of more effective ECM suite later gets released it still would not matter unless the new gear specifically it doesn't generate a hostile effect on the C3 system. 

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 10 March 2017, 19:49:24 »
I should take a newer picture.