Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 217085 times)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #90 on: 31 January 2011, 17:25:47 »
So, who will be the biggest threat to the Magistracy in the Dark Ages? The Marians maybe?
  I don't think anyone will be attacking the MoC within its traditional borders except pirates. 
  We will see combat because we'll be along for the ride in any Capellan adventurism.  I think we'll have minimal troubles with the Marians because they know they will be up against the Cappies as well.  It would just be easier for the Marians to annex any un-affiliated FWL worlds.
  I agree that the FWL is unlikely to be a significant threat considering they're busy with the Clans and any temptingly under-defended Republic worlds, although there will be scuffles.  In Surrender Your Dreams (?), it was implied that the Cappies will now be fighting the FWL in support of Andurien.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #91 on: 31 January 2011, 18:52:03 »
Thraxa for a while now has been described as a hotbed for Independence (but not separatism). Its possible that if they were left alone, or had to deal with the WoB on their own, that they finally decided to say "Well, the Marians are rebuilding, so we don't have to deal with them, lets try this on our own.

The rest of the worlds seem to be recently rediscovered worlds, so its possible that they were unsupportable at the time. Still, rather annoying. It actually comes out to be a good chunk of the Magistracy worlds, IIRC.

Then again, I'm trying to figure out why the Magistracy doesn't own Aspropirgos. Frankly, if I'm the one that kicks the Shadow Division off the planet, I'm taking it :)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 01 February 2011, 17:09:23 »
The Marians may have thought that if we didn't want Thraxa, I wasn't worth taking.   Besides, they had more promising targets in the FWL and former the Circinus worlds.  They may have their hands full just keeping them in line.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #93 on: 01 February 2011, 17:45:37 »
Those Thraxan snow troopers are no fun to fight.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Coyote_808

• Master Sergeant
  • 101st Reserve Battle Cluster, Zeta Galaxy, CCy
« Reply #94 on: 02 February 2011, 02:32:41 »

Can they make a well placed blaster shot at over 300 yards?

We are just watching the younger generation Warriors plan.  It gives the older ones of the Clan
time to pause and reflect on the future.  Well, that and I think we ran out of food in the Den... - Blackhorse 6

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #95 on: 02 February 2011, 09:30:28 »
Can they make a well placed blaster shot at over 300 yards?
Like anyone else with the description "snow trooper" can?

I wonder, hey Kit - has anyone done Devourer-mounted infantry? (if it isn't attacking something, take 1d6/2 damage to your own force)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 02 February 2011, 10:23:05 »
No, but I have seen Orca mounted infantry somewhere.

Take that, Bo Derek!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #97 on: 02 February 2011, 10:25:12 »
There's supposed to be plans for an equation to convert rideable creatures into BT infantry mounts or something along those lines.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 02 February 2011, 17:26:08 »
I picture a bunch of guys on skis with rifles. :D

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 05 February 2011, 08:41:29 »
Does anyone have a wish-list for future designs?  Personally, I'd like to see an Arrow IV version of the Pike.  I was also wondering if we could licence the Golden age Lupus from the Diamond Sharks.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 05 February 2011, 11:26:30 »
Wow, talk about different. One of those is pretty probable, the other pie-in-the-sky wishing.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 05 February 2011, 17:51:43 »
You gotta have dreams. :D

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #102 on: 05 February 2011, 18:13:58 »
Anyone with info on Danai Centrella? the person not the tank
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 05 February 2011, 19:22:29 »
There's just not alot of information out there on her. She and Naomi didn't even appear in the 2nd Periphery book as far as I know, and was dead by the time FM:Periphery came out.

She appears in minor roles in the novels "Double Blind" and "Prince of Havoc" though she doesn't speak in Prince of Havoc..I'm not even sure she speaks in Double Blind to be honest.

We know that she normally pilots a Banshee (What variant is unknown) has amber eyes, and was considered a better MechWarrior than her sister Naomi at one point in time (post fighting in the Jihad, who knows).
« Last Edit: 05 February 2011, 21:03:38 by Maelwys »

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #104 on: 05 February 2011, 19:25:15 »
if she used a battlemaster what in the world made her switch to a falconer to fight the clans, she must have been crazy
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #105 on: 05 February 2011, 21:08:16 »
Oops, my mistake. BattleMaster should've been "Banshee." I was thinking of something else when I typed that.

The only thing I can think of is that she didn't travel with her `Mech. Maybe she left it back with the rest of her unit and just hopped a ride to Strana Mechty, and thus didn't have her Banshee with her.

Reading the novel, personally I blame Victor and Galen for her death. They teamed up on a Stormcrow with their Devastator and Dire Wolf, while she got stuck tangling with a Warhawk.

AirmanR

• Corporal
« Reply #106 on: 05 February 2011, 21:28:48 »
The Inner Sphere is responsible for everything bad that happens to the Periphery :( In fact, the reason so little is written about the Periphery is because Catalyst game designers were told that if they wanted their great great great great great grandchildren to lead healthy lives in the future, that they better be mean to the Periphery! It's true!! :D

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 06 February 2011, 08:01:24 »
Reading the novel, personally I blame Victor and Galen for her death. They teamed up on a Stormcrow with their Devastator and Dire Wolf, while she got stuck tangling with a Warhawk.
I think you're being a little harsh.  In the heat of battle, it can be difficult to know who is in trouble when they're not screaming for help.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: 06 February 2011, 09:13:09 »
Anyone with info on Danai Centrella? the person not the tank

IIRC, it was her who convinced Haji Doru to serve then-Magestrix Emma Centrella (her mother) as first senior general. The two met during Operation Bulldog. Doru left his native realm, the Taurian Concordat, as a military genius but with feelings of being misunderstood after he stept up to then-Protector Thomas Calderon's unfair politics and helped replace him with his son Jeffrey Calderon. He drifted through the Inner Sphere for a while until he met Danai. She told him that he would always be a son of the Periphery and that those realms still need him. That he should serve the MAF and reform them and subsequently strengthen the Concordat as well through the Trinity Alliance. He initially refused, but when she was killed in action he travelled to Canopus IV and was surprised that Danai had already invested a huge portion of her wealth to buy him the rank of Colonel (the then-highest rank in the MAF). After talking to Emma he accepted and became senior general and reformed the MAF. Due to Danai, his loyality to the Magistracy is unswervingly.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 06 February 2011, 14:44:43 »
For that alone, she should get a postumous medal.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: 06 February 2011, 14:53:27 »
For that alone, she should get a postumous medal.

Second! I'm a huuuuge fan of Hadji Doru! And it seems she was a similar gorgeous woman and personality. Huge loss there...

Okay, here are some thoughts on naval developement for the Magistracy in the AoD.

Prior to the Jihad, the MoC was able to maintain its DropShips and maybe even its JumpShips. The navy was even able to build Leopard-class DropShips. As far as we know, no naval infrastructure was damaged or destroyed by the Blakists. And we don't have any informations of similiar losses during the upcoming Dark Age. Given the fact that the major battles in this era are focusing on the RotS and its adjacent neighbours, I deem such reduction of naval infrastructure unlikely. Additionally, it seems likely that due to not being targeted by major Inne Sphere powers, the Magistracy could rebuild a lot of lost economical power. Therefore, I think it wouldn't be too odd to expect a slightly better naval infrastructure then prior the Jihad. Since we know that WarShips won't be so wide-spread again as of earlier ages, this is no option, of course. So-called Pocket WarShips seem to step into this role. In such a situation, would you deem Canopian production of, let's say, small JumpShips and maybe the upgraded version of Achilles-class DropShips to be expected too much? Technological knowledge could be provided by the Confederation and a long time of peace and economical recovery, maybe even growth, could provide for financing.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #111 on: 06 February 2011, 15:07:03 »
I'd start from the ground up with a new pocket warship.  Make it about 50k tons and give it obcene amounts of armor, sub-capital weapons and screen launchers.  Maybe even 12 fighters.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 06 February 2011, 15:19:54 »
In such a situation, would you deem Canopian production of, let's say, small JumpShips and maybe the upgraded version of Achilles-class DropShips to be expected too much? Technological knowledge could be provided by the Confederation and a long time of peace and economical recovery, maybe even growth, could provide for financing.

It's possible but I expect the CC is going to be investing in rebuilding its own infrastructure in the immediate future.  An Achilles wouldn't be unreasonable, though, if they can get a line together.  Give a decade or so, I think.

I'd start from the ground up with a new pocket warship.  Make it about 50k tons and give it obcene amounts of armor, sub-capital weapons and screen launchers.  Maybe even 12 fighters.

Or how about starting with something small and manageable that their infrastructure might be able to actually build and wouldn't break the bank?  This isn't the Lyran Alliance building the Mjolnirs here, guys, no national obsession with "Bigger!  It must be bigger!"  That's probably out of range for the Houses to be doing at this point, let alone someone with comparatively limited infrastructure.  The Tiamat is a case of the Republic already having the lines and plans to do the job.  Considering what the Magistracy sees, something in the 6k ton range with obscene amounts of armor would be more reasonable and still capable of meeting a lot of threats.  Maybe a light carrier, too.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: 06 February 2011, 15:24:42 »

I'd love to see a genuine Canopian Pocket WarShip! O0

But aren't 20k the limit for military DropShips?

It's possible but I expect the CC is going to be investing in rebuilding its own infrastructure in the immediate future.  An Achilles wouldn't be unreasonable, though, if they can get a line together.  Give a decade or so, I think.

Or how about starting with something small and manageable that their infrastructure might be able to actually build and wouldn't break the bank?  This isn't the Lyran Alliance building the Mjolnirs here, guys, no national obsession with "Bigger!  It must be bigger!"  That's probably out of range for the Houses to be doing at this point, let alone someone with comparatively limited infrastructure.  The Tiamat is a case of the Republic already having the lines and plans to do the job.  Considering what the Magistracy sees, something in the 6k ton range with obscene amounts of armor would be more reasonable and still capable of meeting a lot of threats.  Maybe a light carrier, too.

The upgraded Achilles would be awesome! If we could put it or some similar design in production at a Canopian shipyard that would be only logical, wouldn't it? A fighter carrier would be awesome as well. :)

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #114 on: 06 February 2011, 15:25:24 »
I find the idea of the Periphery in general building Pocket WarShips to be very acceptable.  They can build DropShips.  Pocket WarShips are no more crazy when it comes to tech.

JumpShips?  That's a harder questions.  Ships that big pretty much HAVE to be built in space, especially since modern JumpShips don't have the engines to get out of a gravity well.  I'd like to see it, I just don't know if we WILL.
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #115 on: 06 February 2011, 15:51:16 »
Well, there's the Dictator mystery, so we should keep that in mind. Also, HB:MPS states that there were rumors of the Magistracy restarting the Princess-class liner production, so depending on damage, there might be another DropShip line that's close to being reopened that could be retasked (or used to provide revenue).

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 06 February 2011, 15:59:33 »
I'd tend toward something small for cost reasons - both end cost and R&D.  Small, fast, and tough with a decent amount of firepower can be quite dangerous.  Just look at the Dragau.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: 06 February 2011, 18:13:56 »
Yeah, the periphery would want something cheap enough to be able to afford to lose-- and don't forget it has to be numerous enough that pirates-- the bane of many periphery worlds can't be confident that there arne't a few hanging about-- if you build a 50K supership, it's comfortably certain they'll be pricey enough to be kept at vital systems.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 06 February 2011, 18:31:05 »
You can make a 5-6k DropShip into a very tough nut to crack, frankly.  Proportionally, the Tiamat is actually not as tough as a number of the smaller hulls - it wraps a lot less armor around the guns it carries for its size than, say, an Arondight or Taihou, to say nothing of the Dragau.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #119 on: 07 February 2011, 08:29:03 »
I want my little Periphery Assault DropShip!  :P

As Moonsword said. 4k to 6k, tough and well armored, though keen enough to build a whole flotilla of them to have enough for both anti-pirate patrols and defense of core systems.

Since we're talking about the Periphery, which doesn't get the newest toys available instantly, the upgraded Achilles-class, introduced in 3055 would fit that role quite perfect, wouln't it?