Author Topic: A Time of War Companion  (Read 15604 times)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
A Time of War Companion
« on: 24 September 2012, 12:42:52 »
http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3049

So who has the Companion?  What do you think?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
Re: A Time of War Companion
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2012, 12:57:55 »
Just picked it up and skimming it now.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2012, 18:52:06 »
“They’re pulling back! How cute!”

I do like the expanded list of abilities. Heaven help my group games if we decide to pick some of these.
The rank to title chart is nice and apparently somebody wanted that. In fact all the rank charts are nicely done especially the new Clanner one!
I've only gotten as far as the special abilities but the artwork is a mix between older pics and some new stuff which is nicely done.
There's a pic of a green "Samurai" style elemental suit that is just beautiful.

I haven't read the story yet in the book, that will be during my third or fourth pass through it.

Edit:
DEVELOPER’S NOTE: ALIENS IN BATTLETECH
Thank you! Exactly what I was thinking guys! Perfect!
« Last Edit: 24 September 2012, 19:08:54 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2012, 21:15:11 »
Tag
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

kroner

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • the artist formerly known as Vorpal
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2012, 21:29:49 »
Reading it now.

I have to admit the Drac tatoo on the martial arts dude on page 18 is rawsome.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2012, 00:25:25 »
I sort of wish more of the rank charts had something like "This is where MechWarriors start" but I can understand how that could lead to issues "Wait, I have to spend 500 points to get to the proper rank?"

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2012, 03:57:11 »
I've started reading it.  Up to the special abilites section.
The ranks section was something I've been wanting, but I wish it would say what ranks you have to be in each sovereignty/group to do things such as be a mechwarrior, ASF pilot, vehicle crew member or vehicle commander.

The equvalency table give O0 for Mechwarrior and ASF pilot, but there are plenty of groups that have enlisted mechwarriors and FRR even has a specific rank name in the enlisted section.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2012, 04:48:10 »
The equvalency table give O0 for Mechwarrior and ASF pilot, but there are plenty of groups that have enlisted mechwarriors and FRR even has a specific rank name in the enlisted section.

Did you look across that chart? It had the enlisted ranks going from below O0. O0, or E8 corresponds to Mechwarrior/Pilot.
Yes, you COULD say that "Wait...that is on the officers chart, and it has the Lance XO for E-8." However, if they were
not putting them for those purposes, then why have them line up?

You could also look at the ranks as shown on the other charts. E7 is "Mechwarrior Sgt" for the Fed Suns, while Rasalhague
has the Kavelrist rank at E5 open only to 'mechwarriors. We see 'Mechwarrior Sgt show up in the Star League rank table at e8.
Adept shows up as O1 for Comstar, and this was the lowest rank we ever saw a 'mechwarrior have in Comstar/WoB. Sergeant is the lowest rank allowed to be a 'Mechwarrior for the Lyrans, and that is an E5, the Combine only had Officer 'mechwarriors, so those start at O0/O1, Lance Corporal/San-Ben-Bing is the rank where we see a break in CapCon, so it can be assumed that at E5 there, someone can become a 'Mechwarrior, since what other ranking among 'mechwarriors would be the equivalent of an "infantryman"? Only Marik could I not figure out..most seem to start at E5, with FedSuns being E7, Star League E8, and Combine at O0/O1
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2012, 22:55:11 »
Some entities have specific Mechwarrior ranks, but not every one lists what ranks there are for Mechwarriors, and even the ones with Mechwarrior specific ranks don't outright state that is the minimum rank needed;  they also don't all conveniently line up with the equivalence table (the mechwarrior specific ranks are mostly below the E8 listed as Mechwarrior on the general table).

There are also even fewer references to other positions like ASF pilot, specific large craft or vehicle positions, or if Battle Armor troops have different rank levels.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2012, 00:04:22 »
You could always go to the AToW Rules Question sub-forum....I do agree that it is something that should be
explicitly stated, especially since we know each faction has their own different minimum rank...

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2012, 01:48:56 »
Hello,

DEVELOPER’S NOTE: ALIENS IN BATTLETECH
Thank you! Exactly what I was thinking guys! Perfect!

You are welcome.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2012, 02:05:53 »
Anyone figured out how exactly the Variable-Pulse Laser Rifle works, in terms of how it's range modifiers are?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2012, 02:56:02 »
Tag

You're it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As to the book I'm very happy with the merc section and I can't wait to really sink my teeth into the rest of this book this weekend. Out of curiosity has the omega invictus been mentioned elsewhere?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2012, 06:35:19 »
Hello,

Anyone figured out how exactly the Variable-Pulse Laser Rifle works, in terms of how it's range modifiers are?

Well, darn. That's a minor error, but only insomuch as it doesn't fit how we handled the Sternsnacht Claymore (which replaces the full normal range modifiers with its own). In the case of the VPL Rifle, you're supposed to *add* the weapon's range modifiers to the normal range modifiers used in play. So--Sternsnacht Claymore style--it should read "Range Modifiers: +0/-1/-2/-2".

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2012, 06:55:14 »
Hello,

Well, darn. That's a minor error, but only insomuch as it doesn't fit how we handled the Sternsnacht Claymore (which replaces the full normal range modifiers with its own). In the case of the VPL Rifle, you're supposed to *add* the weapon's range modifiers to the normal range modifiers used in play. So--Sternsnacht Claymore style--it should read "Range Modifiers: +0/-1/-2/-2".

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Thank you for your explaination. I thought I was misreading it because for a moment I thought it had +0/+1/+2/+4. Which is frankly absurd.

Colonel Voss

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 27 September 2012, 23:32:38 »
This book is dangerous for my nose. Was reading through and drinking some milk. Read 'Mad Cat, corner pocket' and started laughing so hard, I had milk coming out my nose. Later on in the day the cyber enchanced cat girl picture got me laughing so hard again I splashed coke up my nose.

Over all, a great buy. I think it fleshes out AToW extremely well. Two thumbs and one nose up. ;D

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2012, 10:41:32 »
Reading it now.

I have to admit the Drac tatoo on the martial arts dude on page 18 is rawsome.

If I ever decide to get inked, I'll seriously consider that.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2012, 11:46:35 »
The Companion has made me quite a bit more enthusiastic about using AToW. It fills in a lot of holes that I felt the base game had. I use GURPS for other games and was strongly considering switching over to that for BattleTech RP, but now I feel that AToW is just about as good as you can get for a BattleTech RPG.

Also I wasn't one of the MoC cyber-catgirl people but it amuses me enough that I'm going to have to find an excuse for plopping that into my game at some point.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2013, 00:55:54 »
So what are the conversion rules for MW3rd to AToW?

Thx, D69
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
  • Also known as the mighty Iron Liz
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2013, 01:18:29 »
It's not perfect by any stretch, but I think it's safe to say that if you like A Time of War, you'll probably like the Companion. 

I'm personally drawn more to the story side of a system, and I liked how it went into more detail with how military and noble rank is seen amongst different factions.  With peace breaking out post-Jihad, it seems more likely that distant realms will now have more interaction.  The monsters and moving plants were also a very nice touch, which will definitely help in an exploratory type game.  Finally, I enjoyed how you can now have lifepath bonuses or detriments to your xp like the way they had in 3rd edition.  It's nice to have those back, even if they can be a bit game break-y for character creation.

Major noticeable downside?  There's no Catgirl package for cybernetics!  There's a mermaid, naga, and centaur, but sadly, no catgirl.  It's not that hard to put one together yourself assuming a few liberties, but that seemed like an obvious one.

Anyway, great work!  I'd say it was worth the 30 dollars I paid for it, and I'll more than likely get a lot of mileage out of it.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2013, 02:37:07 »
So what are the conversion rules for MW3rd to AToW?

Thx, D69

A very large number of pages that it would be wrong to put into here. Buy the book, as I am sure you will find everything
else in it useful.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2013, 09:35:36 »
Major noticeable downside?  There's no Catgirl package for cybernetics!  There's a mermaid, naga, and centaur, but sadly, no catgirl.  It's not that hard to put one together yourself assuming a few liberties, but that seemed like an obvious one.
True, but if you look at the genetic mutations chart there's ears and tail.
Combine that with some of those Mandarin nails the Cappies use and you've got long claws.
Tada! Cat girl.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2013, 10:13:54 »
Hello,

Oh, come on! You mean between the too-obvious mutation that gives moving ears and a tail (I can't believe I let that slide like that), and the combination of prosthetic beauty/horror enhancements plus a tail and retractable claw mod for prosthetic limbs? If your GM has trouble making catgirls in BT, he's just not trying! (And why do they always have to be cat GIRLS anyway? Nobody wants to role-play Lion-o?)

Seriously, after the way more exotic centaur and merfolk adaptations (which define how extra limbs or aquatic functionality are added to such things and address specific canonical references to centaurs and merfolk in BT history), the number of possible prosthetic-based mods to create other artificial anthromorphs/extraterrestrials in our humans-only universe was dizzying. So much so, that it was far easier to simply toss in an image and some basic parts to give the players something to work with. A "catfolk" or "werefolk" kit would really just be the same stock combo of cosmetic beauty/horror mods, a prosthetic tail, and (optional) claw mods for cosmetically modified arm/leg prosthetics. Guaranteed that if we specified one "species", we'd be asked "what about this other species?" even though it is functionally identical.

Anyway, great work!  I'd say it was worth the 30 dollars I paid for it, and I'll more than likely get a lot of mileage out of it.

Glad to hear! Though it took longer than we planned (and I hear my editing was slightly off this time), we actually had a blast this one. Pity I'm still finding stuff I wanted to put in but didn't!

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 17 January 2013, 10:36:14 »
Pity I'm still finding stuff I wanted to put in but didn't!

What's that, Cap'n? A companion to the Companion you say?

Where's that 'shut up and take my money' meme when you need it?

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 17 January 2013, 16:37:52 »
Don't get me wrong Herb, I noticed the parallels and ability to put one together quite easily.  In fact, I've done just that in another thread:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,26145.30.html

Although admittedly, it is much easier in points and backstory to play a mutant than a cybernetic-enhanced feline hybrid (of course, that's pretty much true across the board).  Still, I do appreciate the expansion of those rules as well as adding the Beauty Enhancement and Horror Enhancement surgeries.  By putting those there it helps explain cosmetic surgery in the universe a bit better.

Though like I said, it was nice to see the female bias in the Magistracy brass and how a DCMS officer is generally awarded more respect in other realms due to the level of discipline.  And maybe it's the girl in me, but I also appreciated the fashion appropriate places for things.  I had a discussion with a friend of mine who was insistent that a well-dressed noble would not be out of place even at lower-class functions.  I'm glad to see the mechanics added there to help clarify things.

Again though, nice work! 

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2013, 11:13:53 »
Glad to hear! Though it took longer than we planned (and I hear my editing was slightly off this time), we actually had a blast this one. Pity I'm still finding stuff I wanted to put in but didn't!

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

AToW Companion Supplemental? AToW Companion II? We can always use more AToW love!

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2013, 13:17:04 »
Hello,

I honestly don't like the idea of just releasing a series of supplements so generic they just get numbers, though. Plus, I don't think I left out quite enough to fill the same volume of space....

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2013, 13:35:40 »
Personally, I'd quite happily buy mini-PDFs, a bit like your Experimental TRO concept, if they added more content.

Maybe more life modules, or new ways to introduce some randomisation into the module progression (if that wouldn't feel like taking a step backwards to 3rd edition).

Era specific material would also interest me a great deal - such as tweaks to affiliations or equipment lists.

Slap a 5-7.50 price tag on it and issue one or two a year. I'll bite.

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 18 January 2013, 13:48:29 »
Actually, now that my brain is in full on wishlist mode, maybe you could look at a 20-25 page booklet on themes as per the XTROs, be it era, faction, or rules options each time?

A Time of War Eras: 3020's
1-2 pages repackaged from the universe introduction material
3-4 pages on adjusted affiliations
8-10 pages on changes to life modules or traits relevant to the era
1-2 pages for revised personal equipment tables, basically just hacking out everything not relevant from the AToW tables
1-2 pages for some particular adventure hooks that tie into the late succession wars?

Heck, just include the occasional blank rectangle and I'll draw my own stick figure artwork in my copy when I print it out.

A Time of War Options: SPAs and Traits
Half a dozen new uses for existing SPAs and Traits, plus two or three new ones... An adventuer hook and a short story? I'll bite.

A Time of War Options: Life Paths
When you really don't mind if your next fifteen characters die during their Stage 2 module choice, just give me an excuse to roll my dice some more!

A Time of War Factions: [any old faction]
Just ten to 15 pages about character and adventure archetypes from the key eras for the given faction.

Seriously, I'll preorder every last one of these.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 18 January 2013, 13:53:44 »
Hello,

I honestly don't like the idea of just releasing a series of supplements so generic they just get numbers, though. Plus, I don't think I left out quite enough to fill the same volume of space....

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

You could always look at what SR does with their "Shadowrun Options series" (currently: Way of the Adept and Way of the Samurai),
as well. Frankly, though, I trust that if the stuff is cool and really good, or even just cool or really good, you will find a way to get
it to players.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: 18 January 2013, 14:42:10 »
Actually, now that my brain is in full on wishlist mode, maybe you could look at a 20-25 page booklet on themes as per the XTROs, be it era, faction, or rules options each time?

A Time of War Eras: 3020's
1-2 pages repackaged from the universe introduction material
3-4 pages on adjusted affiliations
8-10 pages on changes to life modules or traits relevant to the era
1-2 pages for revised personal equipment tables, basically just hacking out everything not relevant from the AToW tables
1-2 pages for some particular adventure hooks that tie into the late succession wars?

Heck, just include the occasional blank rectangle and I'll draw my own stick figure artwork in my copy when I print it out.

A Time of War Options: SPAs and Traits
Half a dozen new uses for existing SPAs and Traits, plus two or three new ones... An adventuer hook and a short story? I'll bite.

A Time of War Options: Life Paths
When you really don't mind if your next fifteen characters die during their Stage 2 module choice, just give me an excuse to roll my dice some more!

A Time of War Factions: [any old faction]
Just ten to 15 pages about character and adventure archetypes from the key eras for the given faction.

Seriously, I'll preorder every last one of these.

ditto.  please take my money.   :)  :)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 18 January 2013, 15:26:33 »
Hello,

To answer Garner's (and Five_Corparty's) request, that's kind of what the Era Reports and Era Digests do, covering alternative periods of BattleTech history. So, while the late Succession Wars hasn't been covered (yet), I'm pretty sure we'll get there soon enough. (Indeed, now that we've covered the Age of War, Star League, the Clan Invasion, and will soon get to the Dark Age, we pretty much only HAVE the Succession Wars to cover in Era style, since the core rules themselves and Field Manual: 3085 rather neatly cover the FedCom Civil War-Jihad period. Heck, we've even given folks the Golden Century by now.)

The thing with BattleTech, though, is that we've found there's a threshold for specialization that gets dangerous to cross. Faction-specific sourcebooks, for instance, have proven to be a loss-leader for us, so they're giving way to pan-faction books (outside of PDF-exclusives, that is). The fact that BattleTech remains 'Mech-centric also means there's only so far afield one can get into the universe before it could be "just any old setting", so specialized professions, like corporate intrigue, covert ops, police drama, and so forth, wind up taking a back seat to the front-and-center military conflicts--OR we have to combine multiple aspects in one book (such as with the Solaris setting, where all of the above can apply).

Then there's a personal choice I opted to make when we took on A Time of War: rule bloat. Anyone who recalls the MW3rd system might find this amusing: If you wanted to be sure you could create any character you wanted under the MW3rd Life Path system, how many books did you need?

MW3rd/CBT:RPG - Core book
MW Guide to the Clans
MW Guide to Solaris VII
LosTech
A Guide to Covert Ops
CBT: Companion
7 (I think?) of the Field Manuals (from Lyran Alliance through Mercs Supplemental: Updates)
AeroTech 2
3 of the 5 Handbooks (Specifically, Steiner, Marik, and Davion)

That's 17 sourcebooks that featured Life Paths, many suffering extreme examples of power creep. When we initially considered the rules changes for AToW, we thought of just fixing the Paths, trying to restore a sense of balance to them all, and re-presenting them in the new book. Then it became clear that the Paths alone would have run 400 pages and balance was right out.

So, instead, a conscious decision was made to simplify the Paths to their bare bones, present them as modules, and leave enough XP for players and GMs to do the fine tuning without rolling for stock random events in the character creation process.

This was followed by a stern warning to the other writers: NO MORE MODULES WITHOUT DEVELOPER PERMISSION. The idea now is that a Module needs to be truly unique from the others to be of any use to the players. Most eras, as it happens, can be addressed by simply tweaking the Affiliations of the day and adding in cost and salary mods as appropriate.

PDF-driven expansions might be a good idea, mind you, but I want to make sure the RPG I give you guys is good quality, and not an endless train of "whatever seemed like a good idea at the moment".

I hope that explains things a bit...

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 18 January 2013, 16:30:21 »
Thanks for the explaination, Herb.

Still, a fan can dream, can't he?  :)

Tell you what, my hunger for more RPG rules can happily go on the backburner if you'll step up that Succession Wars era report (my favourite time in the setting).

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 18 January 2013, 16:51:16 »
Having reviewed those systems, I couldn't have said it better, Herb

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2013, 17:34:17 »
I never really liked MW3 and I felt like A Time of War made some very, very good design choices. Catalyst has done a great job with the line since taking it over.

I wouldn't mind a Solaris VII PDF. It would be cool to have updated AToW rules for things from previous Solaris products, stats for top-rated champions, guidelines for using the tactical combat rules for 'mech duels, and such.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 19 January 2013, 13:40:04 »
Thanks for the explaination, Herb.

Still, a fan can dream, can't he?  :)

Tell you what, my hunger for more RPG rules can happily go on the backburner if you'll step up that Succession Wars era report (my favourite time in the setting).

-sigh- I agree.  i mean, Herb's said it before, in chats and stuff, but then I scooped up the "Samurai" option pack for shadowrun, which is like... SPAs for character types?  and I'm like, "oooh, shiny...'"  ;)  so while I'm VERY, VERY, VERY happy that I'm not gonn need a gazillion books like for MW3ed, I can't help but drool and dare to dream...  :)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 19 January 2013, 17:40:17 »
Hello,

It's the paradox of print-driven game design. You want your game as complete, playable, and user-friendly as possible, so you try to put everything you can in the core book (heck, we crammed all the gear from all the MW3rd products we had into AToW). Only now you need to keep generating more to support the game and maintain some kind of cash flow (because this IS a business, after all).

We actually did a poll over a year ago, asking players here what they wanted to see next, from a few given options: An Explorer Corps themed book, a Covert Ops themed one, or a Solaris themed one. All three were seen as potential RPG addendum books. Explorer Corps won out, and--and you know--Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions was the result. Rules-wise, it's game support is more like that of an Era Report, but with some added heavy equipment ('Mechs and support vees) for larger scale play as well.

It's a tightrope, really.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 19 January 2013, 19:13:14 »
After selling e-reader devices to people, it made me realize that people sometimes don't even know what they want...

If we had a non-backlit screen to prevent eye strain, people said they wanted it backlit.  When we had a backlit screen, people complained of eye strain.

If we didn't cover the page clickers, people complained they got dirty.  If we covered the page clickers, people complained that they were hard to press.

The supplements technically already exist, and there's no RPG police that are going to take away your previous, out-of-date books if you want to use them in Time of War.  I'm more interested in having a system that merges the RPG and wargame together (which Time of War did) and have more explanation about gaps in the story which the Interstellar Report appears to be doing.

My two cents is all.  You can never completely please the fans, but thus far I think Herb and his team are doing a decent job.

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 20 January 2013, 05:17:45 »
It's kind of difficult to acquire the older books when you're late to the party and living with a shoestring budget on the wrong side of the Atlantic, but that point is well understood.

I'd also like to make it clear that my hunger for 'more' AToW related goodness is inherently a show of support and praise for AToW as it exists now.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 20 January 2013, 16:59:50 »
It's kind of difficult to acquire the older books when you're late to the party and living with a shoestring budget on the wrong side of the Atlantic, but that point is well understood.

I'd also like to make it clear that my hunger for 'more' AToW related goodness is inherently a show of support and praise for AToW as it exists now.

*nods*

I will admit that I also got lucky.  I got a lot of book donations when I said I was interested in the series (pre and post reviews), but I still spend a decent amount of cash picking up used copies of the older books out there.  I got lucky and found an ebay lot of 8 third edition books for 50 dollars which did help.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 20 January 2013, 19:14:53 »
How many donations came from MOC fans after you mentioned the Magistry a few hundred times? :P
===
Luckily, the current books contain most of the rules from all the old stuff, so you're mainly just missing fluff from previous eras.
If getting books is an issue, you can always get a cheap e-reader and get the PDFs from the battleshop.  As a bonus, they come out sooner than the print versions.

As for old books, I occasionally look through used bookstores, but eBay is a good place to look as well.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 20 January 2013, 19:20:54 »
How many donations came from MOC fans after you mentioned the Magistry a few hundred times? :P
===
Luckily, the current books contain most of the rules from all the old stuff, so you're mainly just missing fluff from previous eras.
If getting books is an issue, you can always get a cheap e-reader and get the PDFs from the battleshop.  As a bonus, they come out sooner than the print versions.

As for old books, I occasionally look through used bookstores, but eBay is a good place to look as well.

I did an RPG review show on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com and interviewed Herb when I got to Time of War.  Fans of my show graciously donated a number of books.  I'm going to start up again soon and have a special episode up by next Friday.

Maybe it's my own bias after selling e-readers, but I still prefer a hard copy.  It's nice to be able to manually turn a page too instead of using clickers, a mouse, or a word search.  While a lot of books are better in pdf form, I'm a dyed in the wool diehard fan of hard copy gaming books.  Even if they are pricier, I still prefer a hard copy to put up on my shelf.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 20 January 2013, 19:47:19 »
I actually haven't seen the AToW review yet (just the previous ones).  Someone started a thread about that somewhere around here when you did those.

The e-reader thing was mainly if someone is having trouble getting the paper version, but it can also save you money on a large collection.

I admit, sometimes a hardcopy is nice, my books never lag when I am looking for something, but, for me at least, being able to take my entire library to a game, is too huge of an advantage to overlook, and I often end up having half my collection open when I end up answering questions on the forums. 

It's all up to personal preference. I could just be too new fashioned.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 20 January 2013, 20:26:18 »
I think the only thing I've really noticed as "missing" from the ATOW series that MW3rd has is detailed descriptions of various pieces of equipment. Some people may not care too much, but I still find myself occasionally trying to remember where items showed up in 3rd so I can look up the fluff. Though I can understand why its left out of ATOW, since that's quite a bit of extra fluff.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 20 January 2013, 23:06:50 »
Personally, I'm far more ok with having a wider variety of equipment than having a description.  The amount of stuff available to you in Time of War is just awesome!  The Battletech series really did need a hardcover book to go into more detail.  Time of War proved it was possible to include information on planets and culture without sacrificing pages for equipment.

The one noticeable thing I missed in Time of War were the Lifepath bonuses or detriments that existed, but they fixed that problem by adding the table in the Companion.  You can choose to add them or not.  It's nice having the option again.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 20 January 2013, 23:52:30 »
I also like that the points "awarded" are generic, letting you work them into the character, instead of suddenly having to figure out where your thirteen children came from, and what you're going to do with them.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 20 January 2013, 23:54:03 »
I also like that the points "awarded" are generic, letting you work them into the character, instead of suddenly having to figure out where your thirteen children came from, and what you're going to do with them.

I agree....and you can choose to just have a bunch of enemies instead of getting annihilated in some sort of industrial or military accident.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #47 on: 21 January 2013, 15:12:17 »
I kind of miss that sort of stuff though.  The fluffy bits of where your life didn't go exactly as planned often had some great humorous gems in there.  Though I do not miss the power creep and imbalance.  So when I made my house rule version(made it before Companion came out) I stuck with the basic idea in Battletech where rolling higher is better but made everything a zero sum affair XP wise.

As to DTF versus PDF I've gotten a lot better about being able to read large amounts of text on a computer screen and actually remember pertinent details for longer than 5 seconds but DTF is still the way I need to go for retaining anything for a long period of time.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 21 January 2013, 17:32:25 »
If you want to reduce the impact of the outrigger rolls a bit, you could require the highest ones to pay for one or two hundred of those extra XP with negative traits (someone's bound to be jealous at your fortune), while letting the lowest couple of rolls lose some of that XP by being forced to pay for a positive trait or slight increase in edge whether they like it or not rather than having it all just removed from skills traits and attributes.

So the effect is similar, but the XP is sunk rather than gone which would buffer the extremes a bit.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 21 January 2013, 17:36:33 »
The inclusion of lifepath boosts does also make character creation dicey in a gaming sense.  If you created the character independently and rolled very poorly, chances are you'd start over in order to get a few bonuses.  On the flip-side, it also makes the players stand out from the fold by having slightly higher xp to start with which can help explain why they find themselves at the center of stories and plot arcs.

If I were a GM and using the Companion's lifepath xp rules, I'd have everyone put their character together at the same time.  Of course, if you ARE stuck playing a dud character, that's not very fun as it is. 

The rules might be a case of xp inflation, but as long as it doesn't go crazy, I'm more than ok with that.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 21 January 2013, 17:51:38 »
Now we come to the only major issue I have with AToW, you are likely to spend an entire gaming session just putting your characters together, and it helps to have a calculator and several pieces of scratch paper (or what I do: spreadsheets).

I love the archetypes they put in AToWC, since they give a nice cheat sheet on making a good character, and similarly, the templates are great at fixing the above problem since you can just pick up and play with them, or you can spend a few minutes on some tweaks.  I wish there were more templates, though (turning the example characters from AToW into basic templates rather than fully fleshed characters would be great, and would cover many of the holes in the templates in the companion).

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #51 on: 21 January 2013, 20:13:12 »
Now we come to the only major issue I have with AToW, you are likely to spend an entire gaming session just putting your characters together, and it helps to have a calculator and several pieces of scratch paper (or what I do: spreadsheets).

I love the archetypes they put in AToWC, since they give a nice cheat sheet on making a good character, and similarly, the templates are great at fixing the above problem since you can just pick up and play with them, or you can spend a few minutes on some tweaks.  I wish there were more templates, though (turning the example characters from AToW into basic templates rather than fully fleshed characters would be great, and would cover many of the holes in the templates in the companion).

Related to my NPC question earlier, I could see people volunteering their character builds (or NPC stat blocks and balancing suggestions) and eventually there might be enough of a collection that people could just pick up and tweak some characters to save time.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #52 on: 10 February 2013, 01:13:35 »
I know I am being impatient, but has there been any word on the release of the hard copy version?  A quick look around finds nothing, but I don't exactly spend much time browsing the forums so I could have missed something that never got posted on the main page.  The main site still lists 12/12/2012 as the street date, but Battlecorps still has it under pre-orders and my order is listed as pending.  Same for Interstellar Expeditions.  I ask because Amazon apparently has both ATOW Companion and Interstellar Expeditions available for purchase, not pre-order, and has for some time.  Is something wonky, on either supplier's end?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 10 February 2013, 01:18:16 »
Related to my NPC question earlier, I could see people volunteering their character builds (or NPC stat blocks and balancing suggestions) and eventually there might be enough of a collection that people could just pick up and tweak some characters to save time.

I started a thread doing exactly this.  Remains to be seen if it'll be a success as a repository of tweakable characters.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #54 on: 10 February 2013, 11:59:15 »
I know I am being impatient, but has there been any word on the release of the hard copy version?  A quick look around finds nothing, but I don't exactly spend much time browsing the forums so I could have missed something that never got posted on the main page.  The main site still lists 12/12/2012 as the street date, but Battlecorps still has it under pre-orders and my order is listed as pending.  Same for Interstellar Expeditions.  I ask because Amazon apparently has both ATOW Companion and Interstellar Expeditions available for purchase, not pre-order, and has for some time.  Is something wonky, on either supplier's end?

I had the same question and emailed (Dawn @ customerservice.catalyst@gmail.com) about it.  She checked into it and the next day I got a Order Update showing it shipped.  I did get a tracking number and it shows something is coming.

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #55 on: 10 February 2013, 13:44:09 »
I started a thread doing exactly this.  Remains to be seen if it'll be a success as a repository of tweakable characters.

Thanks, I'll have a look and promote. I've gone to Pathfinder in the meantime (and that's charged the imagination of some friends more than a scifi setting). But I'll come back to this eventually. I do hope it becomes a resource.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #56 on: 10 February 2013, 13:53:48 »
I had the same question and emailed (Dawn @ customerservice.catalyst@gmail.com) about it.  She checked into it and the next day I got a Order Update showing it shipped.  I did get a tracking number and it shows something is coming.
Thanks.  Fired off an email, hope things get sorted quickly.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #57 on: 25 February 2013, 17:02:59 »
Well, a thank you to Hammer and a BIG thank you to Dawn.  My copies of AToW Companion and Interstellar Expeditions both arrived today.  Now to start reading.  And plotting.  }:)

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 03 April 2013, 04:16:01 »
I Think it is great .  It allows the land grant and economy of a common land grant make sense .
It makes the starting points for A Time of War Character Vary so they are less Cookie cutter
like .  Between 4800 - 6000 Base points . Makes Titles more clear ect .

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #59 on: 04 April 2013, 11:08:28 »
Early on, I was a bit disappointed with the ATOW Companion but I've warmed up to it considerably since. It's a useful book.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #60 on: 04 April 2013, 20:05:39 »
Thanks?

- Herbert Beas