Author Topic: Getting 'sticky' off bottles  (Read 2197 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Getting 'sticky' off bottles
« on: 12 September 2016, 09:29:06 »
So the wife gets bottled water at Sam's from a company that provides a nice featureless clear bottle.  But when I try to remove the sticker/wrapper it leaves smudges on the plastic.  This presents a problem when I am trying to use the bottle to make a active greenhouse, or stripping it off to turn into a tank for a refinery set.

I tried soap & water, I tried alcohol . . . the first does nothing and the latter will thin the adhesive to smear across the plastic.

Any tips?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ph423r

• Sergeant
Re: Getting 'sticky' off bottles
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2016, 12:01:21 »
I usually use something called Goo Gone for stuff like that. Spray it on and then let it soak into the glue for a bit. I'm usually able to remove it by scrubbing at it with my finger or a paper towel after that.

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2016, 13:16:03 »
I'll second Goo Gone, but it's better for use on hard surfaces (like taking labels off of glass bottles).  Remove the label by hand, then remove the remaining adhesive with Goo Gone.

I think it should work on a plastic bottle just as well, but I've never tried it myself.
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2016, 13:25:19 »
Where would I find this?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

THEMONSTER

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2016, 14:28:37 »
I found it in the paint section at home depot once.
Blaine Lee Pardoe did nothing wrong.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2016, 14:32:41 »
I think I've seen it at Walmart.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2016, 16:40:45 »
you can also use lighter fluid such as that used in zippos. Works wonders on other materials, though not sure how it might react to the thinner/softer plastic from water bottles.

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2016, 04:07:04 »
I've had success using WD40 to remove label goo from plastics. Let it soak for a bit then "scrub" with something that won't scratch the plastic such as paper towel or a Chux wipe. If you want to paint the bottles after you'll need to give them a good soap and warm water wash to remove the WD40 after the goo is gone.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2016, 10:23:30 »
Some of those labels are oil soluble.
Try some cooking spray

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2016, 10:28:13 »
You might also try filling the bottle with hot/boiling water. This should help soften the glue and make it easier for it to stick to paper towels... I noticed something similar when I drain the grease from hamburger meat into a used can (vegetable, soup, etc). After a moment I have to be careful where I put my fingers on the can because the glue stops being tacky and becomes more liquidy, which will smear all over my fingers... If you think about it, it makes sense, considering the glue is probably applied from a hot glue gun originally...

For that little bit of glue residue (like from price tags and the like), I've found that Puffs Plus work great. They get into the glue and cling, meanwhile the little bit of lotion gives a bit of lubrication to keep from scratching the surface. This may or may no help because you do have to press firmly, and the thin walled water bottles may just crumble. It might work best if once you remove as much as you can with hot water, fill it with cold and screw the cap back on. The water should he resist the pressure of rubbing.

Caz

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2016, 18:51:05 »
Eucalyptus Oil and a bit of elbow grease.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2016, 19:29:34 »
If you do not have an allergy to pea nuts peanut butter is very good for removing glue

Register