Author Topic: Early 'Mech of the Week: CN11-O* Centurion (OmniMech)  (Read 13963 times)

sadlerbw

• Captain
Re: Early 'Mech of the Week: CN11-O* Centurion (OmniMech)
« Reply #30 on: 22 October 2016, 07:53:32 »
There is no "new engine" on D config, which isn't even allowed by rules. The Medium Shield reduces its speed to 4/6 until it is destroyed.

I am an idiot. Thanks for reminding me of that part of the shield rules. I'll go revise my post now!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 22 October 2016, 07:56:31 »
When it appeared, i was confused why Yen Lo Wang ended up looking like the Dark Age Centurions.
Since Danai Liao-Centrella having refitted her uncle's prize mech, with Clan Heavy Laser in the center and a Long Bow” Long-Range Missile 20 Launcher with Artemis with the Ax and Shield.  The Dark Age novels Principles of Desolation gave more details for it's stats.  The old MWDA Dark Age Dossier for it is on Sarna.Net as well as Warrenborne fan site for clickytech.  I wonder if her Yen-Lo-Wang will get stats.  It sorely is needed.

We'll talk about Yen-lo-wang and its changing looks and equipment in a thread dedicated to it. I have notes and speculation about its looks and stuff, plus some conjecture.

One thing i'll note here: It is possible this Omni Centurion's looks are based on the third incarnation of Yen-lo-wang, since its record sheet uses the this OmniCent's picture. But more about that in the special article... in the future.

EDIT Also remember what mbear noted about why no Enforcer-based Omni...
« Last Edit: 22 October 2016, 07:58:19 by Empyrus »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 23 October 2016, 21:14:52 »
I want to like this mech, but honestly it's just too derivative of the standard mech.  I'd like it better if they'd had more configurations that provided a few more roles.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: 23 October 2016, 21:34:14 »
Give it some time, I'm sure we will have Clan weapons on a couple of them soon enough.

Light Gauss configuration may give some a sniper alternative to the E Configuration with more ammo and room for another weapon system.

Little reason to not have a 'More Missiles!" config. or a all energy version all omni configurations being equal.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 23 October 2016, 23:38:39 »
As is, it's still very good at performing the bodyguard role for indirect fire support lances, even able to add its own fire in many configurations until something pops up that won't expect a big gun pointed at it.

Light 'Mech Pilot: Alright, that fire lance that's giving us so much trouble should be just over this ridge. As long as I get close, my speed should keep me safe until I identify every unit...

*runs in*

LMP: I'm seeing an Archer, a pair of Dervishes, and - oh crap that Centurion saw me!

*Big gun blows big holes in Light 'Mech before following up with an SRM chaser*

Centurion Pilot: Gotcha, you little bastard!
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 08:44:13 by Terrace »

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 24 October 2016, 09:17:06 »
the only thing i recall about this mech is that it caused a errata that made shields pod mountable IIRC.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #36 on: 24 October 2016, 09:37:45 »
Yeah, the Cent-O explored no new ground- its the 3050s & 3060s Centurions, Enforcers, Griffins (HPPC) & Wolverine (RAC) with a few little twists (E is the GR Enforcer without JJ).  As it was duplicating everything the Centurion et al, had done before it did not have room in the TRO to explore new things . . .

Like it was noted, it would be interesting to see one mounting the cERLL like the Black Knights, in fact replacing the HPPC with 2 cERLL might use more of the heat sinking ability in that configuration.  it should also probably have something like the Blackhawk with Clan energy weapons in the arms so it can transport the BA when needed . . . maybe the design that needs the SC.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 24 October 2016, 10:21:41 »
Despite their maintenance cost.  I think Omni Centurion would be more common in a era know for downsizing it's military arms.  The FedSuns drastically was downsize due to the Jihad, having a Mech that can change out its weaponry and become the tool the force needs at moment notice would be ideal replacement for something lost.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 24 October 2016, 10:26:17 »
Modernize while downsizing, emphasis on quality over quantity. Sounds pretty reasonable.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #39 on: 24 October 2016, 10:51:08 »
Yeah, the Cent-O explored no new ground- its the 3050s & 3060s Centurions, Enforcers, Griffins (HPPC) & Wolverine (RAC) with a few little twists (E is the GR Enforcer without JJ).  As it was duplicating everything the Centurion et al, had done before it did not have room in the TRO to explore new things . . .

makes it sound like they switched to an Omni more to simplify production of the various types.. build one chassis and then fit the pods to duplicate whatever CN9 variant the buyer wanted to order. ability to change variants later a convenient bonus.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #40 on: 24 October 2016, 10:59:30 »
Its always how I took it and JHB's article last week lets you sort of match them up by loadout.  I really think a player could use it for any of the 5/8 or 6/9 50 or 55t traditional mechs . . . heck, I wonder if it could duplicate a Nightsky since the Hatchet is Omni-capable.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #41 on: 24 October 2016, 11:50:45 »
Its always how I took it and JHB's article last week lets you sort of match them up by loadout.  I really think a player could use it for any of the 5/8 or 6/9 50 or 55t traditional mechs . . . heck, I wonder if it could duplicate a Nightsky since the Hatchet is Omni-capable.

I can't think of a reason why not. I don't have mech design software handy, nor my TROs, but you'd need 12 tons for the Nightsky's pulse laser collection, three or four tons for the axe, and some heat sinks. Not overly impressive in terms of reaching out to do damage, but doable anyway.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 24 October 2016, 12:02:41 »
Why not use the D config?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 24 October 2016, 12:14:56 »
Because you want more lasers and less shield.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #44 on: 24 October 2016, 13:09:36 »
Plus JJ . . .

It was more that with that design you could copy just about any of the 50t or 55t workhorses that move 5/8 or 6/9.  Which since some of them might no longer be available its something to consider . . . though it does point to the argument folks make saying any IS force just needs 3 or 4 Omni designs to handle most of what they use.
Colt Ward

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 24 October 2016, 23:51:11 »
Plus JJ . . .

It was more that with that design you could copy just about any of the 50t or 55t workhorses that move 5/8 or 6/9.  Which since some of them might no longer be available its something to consider . . . though it does point to the argument folks make saying any IS force just needs 3 or 4 Omni designs to handle most of what they use.

While most of the current configurations are simply re-treads of assorted Centurion models, I'm sure that anyone with a Mech building program who's got the base chassis already in there will easily be able to start branching out. Want a Hunchback stand-in? AC/20s of various types will still leave enough tonnage for a decent supply of ammo and the traditional backup weapons. Need a missile boat and don't have a Dervish around? Omniturion to the rescue!

These examples are but two ways to expand the Omni-Centurion's functionality, and will likely show up as this version of the Centurion spreads further within the ranks of the AFFC.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #46 on: 25 October 2016, 09:13:36 »
Oh yeah, that is why I was asking about the Nightsky since it shows up in HMP as restricted equipment . . . though the Celestials had melee equipment on Omnis so it should not have really been a question.

My mercs managed to blow the legs off a Dragon's Fury (and a arm and a side . . . ) which will be great if they can ever put it back together again.  I thought of making something like the old PPC armed Uziel.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 25 October 2016, 12:41:38 »
HMP is badly outdated at this point, the construction rules in Tech Manual state that melee weapons can be pod-mounted for omnis.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #48 on: 25 October 2016, 13:25:23 »
HMP is badly outdated at this point, the construction rules in Tech Manual state that melee weapons can be pod-mounted for omnis.

Definitely reinforces how out of date it is. We've had a Firestarter with a sword for a very long time now.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 25 October 2016, 13:50:39 »
Yeah, that configuration dates back to FASA's Field Manuals.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #50 on: 25 October 2016, 13:52:03 »
Well, its colored the same as engine, gyro, etc which means you cannot move it.  I am at work and cannot check HMP, so . . .

I think the only hard rule its off on is the FF armor change.  I know someone updated the weapons for at least filling crits and basics.

For the most part I am with Grayson on melee weapons . . . with the exception of the Ti T'sang.  So its not something I really play with on Omni.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #51 on: 25 October 2016, 15:18:06 »
I'd have to try this out with Mech.  Shields certainly change things.  Unlike the Ti T'sang, I think the combo of Shield and Melee weapon is interesting mix.  I've never used Combo of Shield/Melee it before.  Having the shield in active mode, so it blocking fire to arm, sidetorso (shield side) and center, while getting up close and personal.  I don't know how effective it would be but i think it be interesting.

I know this Mech is a Omni, i keep thinking of in the sense of Campaign mentality, where i'm not going be using this for casual game so much it gives me option to have a melee fighting Mech when i want one/need one without having own dedicated melee fighter.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 25 October 2016, 15:41:08 »
There are two primary ways to use the Shield.
The conventional one is to use it block heavy weapon attacks, like Gauss shots. Obviously, an enemy can take advantage of this to reduce the shield to pieces with other weapons and save their big guns for other 'Mechs. A would-be headshot turns into a non-issue... that is sure to make the enemy think.
Alternatively, you start using the Shield actively once your armor's starting to get depleted, to absorb critical-hit causing shots.

Either way, Shield-equipped 'Mechs are often good vanguard 'Mechs, something that draws the enemy attention. The Centurion is actually pretty good for this role, since as a medium 'Mech it isn't as important as, say, the Black Knight (which is also a tad slow for the role). A sacrificial piece.
But if the enemy doesn't shoot it, no matter, it gets to melee combat and whacks enemies with the Hatchet and fills holes with SRMs, all to while being nigh impossible to kill thanks to the Shield.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #53 on: 25 October 2016, 16:11:03 »
How does a SC effect a shield mech?  Would the Cent-O be 4/6(8) or 4/6(10) based on the original engine speed?
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 25 October 2016, 16:31:26 »
I think Supercharger applies after the Shield's MP penalty.
I mean, it affects the base speed while equipped, and SC/MASC modify this value.
Isn't TSM counted first, before Supercharger?

An errata may have noted the correct order... or perhaps a question in the question forum...
EDIT Not in errata. There may have been question. But i'm pretty sure you should count the shield effect first.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2016, 16:36:08 by Empyrus »