Author Topic: Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!  (Read 99157 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!
« on: 13 July 2015, 03:30:30 »
Continuing from the old thread

So it's time for a new thread, as the last one got... very big. Really, I had no idea that it would happen.

At any rate, despite clearing my public request list, I am still open for requests. If you have one, please PM me so it doesn't get lost in the reply clutter. There are a couple of guidelines

1) 'Mech icons only for the moment; these can be BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs or whatever else, but for now no Combat Vehicles, Battle Armour, Aerospace Fighters, Dropships etc. Subject to change dependent on workload

2) This goes double for LAMs and QuadVees

3) Only canon designs from FASA/FanPro/Catalyst-published books. No BattleTechnology/MechForce/fan/etc designs at this point. If it's in MUL, then it's a go

4) I usually don't cover unique/Primitive/XTRO variants when doing a 'Mech. If you specifically want one, let me know

With that being said, on with the show!
« Last Edit: 16 August 2016, 00:09:59 by Deadborder »
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2015, 03:38:43 »
We start off the new thread with a bang. The Viking was only a relatively late addition to the internal request list, but it was much needed.

The current Viking icons were a trifecta of bad. Different icons that looked nothing like each other drawn by different artists and all of them pretty ugly bad. Added to this, the Viking IIC didn't have it's own icon, though I admit a part of that was me being lazy and letting it slip through the cracks. So when I got the request on this one, it was allready high on my personal annoyance list; having it as a request moved it to the top of the icon triage list. Of course, the fact that it's a complicated shape with a single not that useful illustration didn't help

Incidentally, the first Viking IIC pilot who falls over while design quirks are in play will be weeping tears of blood.

VKG-2F Viking

VKG-2G Viking

VKG-3A Viking

VKG-3W Viking

Viking IIC (Standard)

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2015, 23:45:36 »
aaaaaaand the instant I think I'm clear, I get more requests. Still, a lot of them are 'needs help urgently' ones and many are overlapping with either internal requests or personal annoyances, so that's a good start.

Today's request is one I didn't see coming at all. That's because it's probably the most out there esoteric 'Mech I could have thought of while still being a canon, published design. It's also probably the most adorably cute 'Mech Icon I have ever drawn. So here's to the Roadrunner! And yes, it was fun

Roadrunner (Emerald Harrier) (Standard)

Cerberus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2015, 04:36:04 »
Tagging for being awesome. O0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2015, 06:43:11 »
Meep! Meep!

Thanks Deadborder!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2015, 07:41:24 »
Say, since you touched up the Viking, any chance the Beowulf could get the same love? Seems like classic Collateral Damage, is all I'm saying. ;)

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2015, 07:57:18 »
Say, since you touched up the Viking, any chance the Beowulf could get the same love? Seems like classic Collateral Damage, is all I'm saying. ;)

Funnily enough, it (and the IIC) are on the to-do list allready. You just bumped it up

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2015, 11:13:16 »
4) I usually don't cover unique/Primitive/XTRO variants when doing a 'Mech. If you specifically want one, let me know

Why not?  I really appreciate the Primitives you've done so far...they really add to the game, especially AoW or Jihad eras.

Thank you for the DV-1S Dervish and BNC-1E icons.  We've played quite a few games in the Age of War era.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2015, 13:17:15 »
Is there an icon for the new Urbie in XTRO Republic II?  If not, that's my next request.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2015, 16:44:48 »
For the sake of people's sanity I'll just quote this...

Can we please get this thread stickied since Deadborder has started a new one?

I don't want to have to go digging for this, please.

.... And amend to, can you link the old thread in your first post?

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2015, 19:35:15 »
For the sake of people's sanity I'll just quote this...

.... And amend to, can you link the old thread in your first post?

I'm of this opinion as well, just link to the previous one.

However, all of DB's artwork should be in MM soon after he publishes. Though, I'm not sure what Hammer is doing with the ones that don't make the grade. I think they should be dropped into the unused folder, just because they're still awesome.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2015, 19:36:30 »
Don't have MM on my latop at the moment but... did you do the Thunderbolt primitive yet? That would be my request if you haven't  O0

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2015, 20:34:28 »
However, all of DB's artwork should be in MM soon after he publishes. Though, I'm not sure what Hammer is doing with the ones that don't make the grade. I think they should be dropped into the unused folder, just because they're still awesome.

I normally commit all the new ones within a week of getting them, depending on RL time commitments.

So far 100% of the sprites DB has made that have units are used.  The old ones I drop into the unused folder except for some of the real old ones.  I've actually replaced sprites that go back to 2005 with new DB ones.

DB and I also regularly communicate about units that are needed to be done or whats up with them.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Xenon54z

• Master Sergeant
  • Code should be like art.
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2015, 21:40:50 »
DB and I also regularly communicate about units that are needed to be done or whats up with them.

Ah! So your the Godfather pulling the strings. 8)

Excellent work to the both of you! Always fun to see a new icon pop up that you weren't expecting.
Free air guitar! Just pick one up! Hurry Now!
Buy now while entropy is low!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #14 on: 14 July 2015, 23:30:21 »
A reminder; if you have a request then please PM me. It's easier to keep track of that way and it means that I don’t have to hunt through replies to find if there's any new ones

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2015, 04:40:47 »
Another request, and this one is definitely urgent. It's also a headache.

The Grand Titan is one of those 'Mechs that is kind of crap, but at the same time just looks so damned cool. This goes doubly so of the sword-wielding variant. However, it was also a pain in the bottom to draw, and took me longer then nearly every other icon I can think of so far (Especially when you consider that it has relatively few variants). Not only did I completely re-draw it at least once, I also modified it just before I sent it off for submission.

On the other hand, given the prior icons, it was needed so bad. Definitely worth the pain... or not, given the collateral damage involved.

T-IT-N10M Grand Titan

T-IT-N11M Grand Titan

T-IT-N13M Grand Titan

T-IT-N14R 'Vengeance' Grand Titan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 15 July 2015, 06:32:54 »
You forgot, Primus Optimal from Welcome to Nebula California in your Grand Titans icons.  ;D J/K

Your icons look awesome man.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Vampire_Seraphin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 15 July 2015, 08:24:25 »
Looks great.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #18 on: 15 July 2015, 09:29:13 »
And now for the Titan and Titan II, the Grand Titan's very, very loose progenitor and cousin. Yep, this is pure collateral damage, even though the connection is a loose family linage and  weighing 100 tons. Yep, I'm like that.

TI-1A Titan

TI-1Aj Titan

TI-1Ar Titan

TI-2P Titan II

TI-2PA Titan II

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
« Reply #19 on: 15 July 2015, 11:30:48 »
An old favorite from BattleTechnology!  Thanks for doing the Titan.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #20 on: 15 July 2015, 17:03:38 »
And now for the Titan and Titan II, the Grand Titan's very, very loose progenitor and cousin. Yep, this is pure collateral damage, even though the connection is a loose family linage and  weighing 100 tons. Yep, I'm like that.

TI-1A Titan

TI-1Aj Titan

TI-1Ar Titan

TI-2P Titan II

TI-2PA Titan II

Wow... :o. 

Very glad to see these and the Grand Titan(s). O0

Domo arigato gozaimasu.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #21 on: 16 July 2015, 01:46:39 »
Tagged.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #22 on: 17 July 2015, 03:59:57 »
A double request is a double request, and when it's a double request for two 'Mechs that makes it even more so. And as a result, I drove myself moderately insane trying to draw the Beowulf. Those knees...

BEO-12 Beowulf

BEO-14 Beowulf

Beowulf IIC (Standard)/PR

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #23 on: 17 July 2015, 04:24:20 »
Yet another massive improvement on the existing icon. Thanks for the quick turn-around time on that, too, because there are Beowulfs involved in both of the scenarios I'm currently in the middle of.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2015, 03:59:05 »
Here's the Daimyo. It's not riding a bicycle. Yes, that was an in-joke that only members of my game group would get.

This was another request, and one that actually turned out to be rather easy to do, a fact helped by my having the mini on hand. More requests need to be like this.

DMO-1K Daimyo

DMO-2K Daimyo

DMO-4K/5K Daimyo

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #25 on: 20 July 2015, 01:48:03 »
And now for a triple request! Yep, that's at the level of "drop everything and do it right now." I had been saving this one for a later date and a bigger project, but a triple is, well, yeah.

It was a total pain to draw, though.

TDR-1C Thunderbolt

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #26 on: 20 July 2015, 02:53:40 »
And now for the Lightray, the double request I was going to do before it got sidetracked by a triple request. So yeah.

It's funny looking.

LGH-4W Lightray

LGH-4Y Lightray

LGH-5W/6W Lightray

LGH-7W Lightray

Cerberus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 20 July 2015, 05:50:12 »
That it is but thanks for all the icons anyway.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 20 July 2015, 16:14:50 »
Pretty pretty T-Bolt  O0

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #29 on: 22 July 2015, 03:17:18 »
Another double request! And this one drove me very mad but hey, double request.

The Vanquisher is a very... extroverted 'Mech. It also has some very... odd variants. Yep.

VQR-2A Vanquisher

VQR-2B Vanquisher

VQR-5V Vanquisher

VQR-7U Vanquisher

VQR-7V Vanquisher

Register