Author Topic: Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux  (Read 55274 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux
« Reply #270 on: 21 January 2018, 22:30:44 »
Sorry, I hate this arguement. Kickstarter isn't an investment, you don't get any ownership.  The only thing it can possibly be is a pre-order service. The problem is that it's a very risky one.  But that is what it is, unless you want to call it a charity...

It’s a pledge. But it acts like an investment in which the returns on investment are your personal enjoyment.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #271 on: 21 January 2018, 22:45:17 »
I'll admit, I backed the game primarily to get the bomber jacket.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #272 on: 21 January 2018, 23:55:13 »
It’s a pledge. But it acts like an investment in which the returns on investment are your personal enjoyment.
No it's not an investment, but it's not a pre-order either. It's crowdfunding, which is sort of the middle ground between the two (all the risks of investment without the ownership). It's a gamble and a risk, you are buying in early on the word of the KS creator that they will be able to deliver what they promised, when they promised it. That is inherently different than pre-ordering, which is at most reserving a copy of something to get it at the earliest possible time.
One view is a legal truth (not a pre-order) and I'm not denying that's the actual truth.  But it's not how kickstarters sell themselves.
Kickstarters sell themsevles are pre-orders.  You spend several pages and fancy videos selling what awesome rewards backers are going to get, followed by a paragraph at the end with "or maybe you get nothing and we took your money".  The fine print isn't what's being sold.   Saying it's not a pre-order is too much like victim blaming IMO.  That's why I object to it.  As a warning to somebody thinking about backing a project, yes. Please warn them.  As a response to somebody complaining about a failed kickstarter, I think you are letting kickstarter off the hook far too easily.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #273 on: 22 January 2018, 00:13:18 »
Eh. Hype and snake oil are as old as human civilization. I don’t blame software developers from using every trick they have to get funded. I also don’t. Blame Kickstarter all that much. They’ll usually shut down outright fraudsters and make the occasional change when something becomes egregious. But I regard their service as a net human good when I take into account artists and tinkers finding their way to an audience or community.

I guess I’m mostly sanguine about this whole thing in a caveat emptor way. I can caution people to be careful. I can give advice for avoiding hucksters. I can educate people on the economic realities of game design, even the near desperation and over promising starving-artist developers will use to get a project funded. But not much past that. I mean, I know what Bitcoin is (beanie babies with math that has a useful purpose for a very small subgroup) and I can’t stop people from being idiots about it.

It’s just prudence and caution. It’s about governing yourself and arming yourself against emotional decision making, or at least recognizing when you’re engaged in hype. These are virtues worth learning, but I can’t force them on people.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #274 on: 25 January 2018, 16:13:11 »
I mean, I know what Bitcoin is (beanie babies with math that has a useful purpose for a very small subgroup) and I can’t stop people from being idiots about it.

Then you are lot smarter than me, as I still have ZERO clue as to what Bitcoin or any other crypto currency is.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #275 on: 25 January 2018, 16:33:06 »
Then you are lot smarter than me, as I still have ZERO clue as to what Bitcoin or any other crypto currency is.

A really good primer: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/how-bitcoin-works/

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #276 on: 21 February 2018, 16:05:32 »
No official release date yet... but game might be coming out in April 2018.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/11055

Somebody at HBS or Paradox accidentally enabled pre-orders on Stream for a Steam Exclusive Shadow Hawk pack (exclusive skin and wallpaper) and also listed a April 2018 release date. All removed now, but people have screenshots...

Mitch at HBS has its an oops and pre-orders were not meant to drop until later in the month. He hasn't confirmed the release date, but has confirmed that pre-existing Recruit level and above backers will also get the Shadow Hawk stuff free of charge too.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #277 on: 21 February 2018, 16:15:51 »
Haha, oops!

That is a cool looking scheme though.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #278 on: 21 February 2018, 17:27:56 »
I hope kickstarter backers count as preordering.  Or is this something we were getting anyway?  Been so long I can't remember what all I'm getting.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #279 on: 21 February 2018, 17:34:00 »
Per this comment: https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/11055/comments/216968

backers at "recruit" or higher level will be getting the Shadow Hawk skin.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #280 on: 21 February 2018, 17:36:06 »
Per this comment: https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/11055/comments/216968

backers at "recruit" or higher level will be getting the Shadow Hawk skin.
O0

EDIT:  hah! it was mentioned in Cyc's post too.   [face palm] Sorry, long day at work.   #P
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #281 on: 21 February 2018, 21:35:21 »
I pray i get mine. I went in at the 35 dollar rate coming Humble. I'm worried i won't get mine.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #282 on: 22 February 2018, 08:59:57 »
I pray i get mine. I went in at the 35 dollar rate coming Humble. I'm worried i won't get mine.

Recruit on the Kickstarter was $25US so you seem to have exceeded that. There hasn't been any mention about any restrictions on if it will be Steam keys only for gifting to existing owners, the only additional info has been Mitch at HBS confirming those missed the Kickstarter but contributed via Backerkit will receive it too - https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/11055/comments/217218

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #283 on: 27 February 2018, 15:14:16 »
The next volume of the ebook dropped in BackerKit today. As well as a code to access the new forums.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #284 on: 27 February 2018, 16:13:30 »
Yep - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2123741?ref=backer_project_update Backer Update #48

Leak wasn't that early - April Release confirmed and game is available for pre-order at Steam, Good Old Games and the Paradox store

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/

https://www.gog.com/game/battletech

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/battletech/BTBT01GSK-MASTER.html?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=social&utm_content=banner&utm_campaign=batt_bt_forum-banner_all_2018227_pre

price seems to be $39.95USD for standard and $49.95 for the digital deluxe version - The Shadow Hawk Exclusive also appears for pre-orders at GOG, so looks to be a standard pre-order offering not Steam exclusive after all. Again if you've backed the Kickstarter at Recruit level you get this already.

Of course with release soon, HBS is asking you to spam your socials - they have a new pre-orders are live trailer and are offering high-rez wallpapers of the store art

https://youtu.be/3HereJw4XP4

Finally! The third Stackpole e-novella Catastrophe Unlimited has dropped on Backerkit. One to go, will we get it in April?

HBS have announced they are closing their own game forums and migrating to Paradox's own forum system as most other Paraodx games. This has not been well received by most people at all, the Paradox Forums a slightly clunky, it spams post updates by default, many fourm names already taken and no custom icons - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/battletech.994/

Paradox Forums also give you badges for owning games and earning in game achievements, the old exclusive icons have been migrated over, as YingJanshi mentioned the codes to enable are on Backerkit along with a 10% off the Paradox store voucher as a welcome gift.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #285 on: 27 February 2018, 16:51:24 »
Huh. Did not know they were moving forums.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #286 on: 27 February 2018, 17:04:47 »
Huh. Did not know they were moving forums.

As Cyc said, the Paradox forums are very clunky. Kind of 50/50: some cool features, some annoyances. One of the biggest of which is that inputting codes can not work even when it said they did. So some people (me included) can't access the avatars yet. (Also, their forums don't allow custom avatars.)

I do wonder why they decided they had to move.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #287 on: 27 February 2018, 17:10:55 »
As Cyc said, the Paradox forums are very clunky. Kind of 50/50: some cool features, some annoyances. One of the biggest of which is that inputting codes can not work even when it said they did. So some people (me included) can't access the avatars yet. (Also, their forums don't allow custom avatars.)

Most likely to save the cost of community manager hours. And by extension a cash flow measure for a small studio in the Puget Sound area (and I couldn't possibly speculate further than that).

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #288 on: 27 February 2018, 17:18:07 »
Most likely to save the cost of community manager hours. And by extension a cash flow measure for a small studio in the Puget Sound area (and I couldn't possibly speculate further than that).

There was at least one post on their forums taking about why. Apparently keeping their forums working was much more difficult that the users see. And they’re expecting a lot more traffic once the game launches and are barely keeping up with moderating as is.
Ie. They needed help.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #289 on: 27 February 2018, 17:26:57 »

Actually, yes their forums DO cover custom Avatars ;)

I Had the Walking Marauder Avatar from a while back and got this message from a Mod when the Whole ugly HG issue came up:

Greetings NeonKnight!

I am sending a PM to ask a favor of you. We would like to request that you change the avatar you are using on the forum to a mech (or other image) that has not been tied to an unseen mech in the past, even though the image is of a purely Catalyst design. I'd like to explain our reasoning below...

So I switched to a LEGO DRAGON:

https://community.battletechgame.com/users/3423

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #290 on: 27 February 2018, 17:46:25 »
Actually, yes their forums DO cover custom Avatars ;)

I Had the Walking Marauder Avatar from a while back and got this message from a Mod when the Whole ugly HG issue came up:

So I switched to a LEGO DRAGON:

https://community.battletechgame.com/users/3423

The old HBS forum did. The Paradox Interactive forums do not (and a lot of people migrating over are rather upset about it).

(The post you quote, I was specifically talking about Paradox's forums.)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #291 on: 27 February 2018, 18:13:20 »
The old HBS forum did. The Paradox Interactive forums do not (and a lot of people migrating over are rather upset about it).

(The post you quote, I was specifically talking about Paradox's forums.)

I misread then. I thought you had implied the old forums had issues and the new ones did not, not the reverse.

Again, my apologies.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #292 on: 27 February 2018, 19:48:39 »
Already not a fan of their forums.   First, I thought I already had an account with them but I couldn't remember the password.  Tried the retrieval option, but never got a response.  Tried creating an account with the same e-mail address and it let me so apparently I didn't have the account already.  Or maybe I did because now I'm not getting the verification e-mail or even an option for a user name on the new account.

EDIT:  And i'm in.  Still, not a great first impression.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 20:01:23 by DarkSpade »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #293 on: 27 February 2018, 20:47:38 »
Wow, what dumpy forums they have.  It feels like it's after thought to put them there. I guess running forums was too much for them.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #294 on: 27 February 2018, 21:19:36 »
Found the battletech avatars, but weren't there supposed to be some Valhalla ones?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #295 on: 27 February 2018, 21:39:01 »
Found the battletech avatars, but weren't there supposed to be some Valhalla ones?

YOu have to go to www.backerkit.com and under the digital rewards for your pledge level will be a code for PDX Valhalla or something like that.  Copy that code.
Go to the Paradox Forums and log in. Click on your username (upper right of forums) and select the Redeem tab and paste your code into the Redeem Code box.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #296 on: 27 February 2018, 21:56:57 »
Did that.  I see faction avatars and a couple atlas heads.  Is that all we're supposed to get?

EDIT: To be more specific, there's 9 options under" BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order"
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 22:00:12 by DarkSpade »

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #297 on: 27 February 2018, 22:03:53 »
Did that.  I see faction avatars and a couple atlas heads.  Is that all we're supposed to get?

EDIT: To be more specific, there's 9 options under" BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order"

Yep. The five House, what looks like Canopus and the three Atlas heads. Maybe get more in the future?
(To be honest I was hoping to see more like they did on the old forum: one for backers of different levels, beta testers...so on...)

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #298 on: 28 February 2018, 01:34:03 »
Devs have already said many more are coming, but they don't know when.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #299 on: 28 February 2018, 06:54:05 »
Not sound bad about Harebrain, but i kinda felt weird being on forum for a pc game. It's because i didn't think it would be self-staining for the maker itself and it was most likely going disappear after couple of years.

What does Paradox have anything to do with HBS? Do they publish games are they holding coming? They going distribute the game itself?
Personally i get bad vibe from the place.

Register