Author Topic: What the hell is going on?  (Read 4202 times)

THEMONSTER

• Corporal
What the hell is going on?
« on: 23 April 2017, 20:21:13 »
I would really like to know.

As far as I can tell the introductory products are not available, and the only way a new player can get started on the tabletop side of things is to get the PDF of Total Warfare, some miniatures from Iron wind metals, and basically have to fend for themselves in terms of map sheets.

Most of the core rules are PDF only which isn't bad per se but it is annoying for people who like hard copies.(of which I am one.)

Map sheets are a problem. The hex packs don't give you much, and the PDFs on Catalyst's web store do not have the full selection. The chaos campaign system pretty much requires you to have a good number of map sheets that have been out of print for what, a decade?

And then there's the core rulebook series, there 10 years old for crying out loud! Not to mention a mess, if you want to play Dark Age you're pretty much cross-referencing 4 books. A friend of mine who plays 40K showed some interest in BattleTech, but the state of the introductory products combined with the look on his face when I explained how the core rulebooks work, makes me afraid he might be turned off on BattleTech all together.

Also advertising is almost non-existent for BattleTech. In games trade magazine for the past three years I have seen maybe one or two advertisements for BattleTech, however in every issue I have seen there has been a full-page advertisement for the latest and greatest Shadowrun product.

As the kickstarter for the BattleTech PC game has showed there is a large dormant fan base out there. You'd  think Catalyst would be trying to tap into that.

I know I'm not seeing everything, but from what I do see it looks like BattleTech the tabletop wargame has one foot in the grave.

OK rant over now.
Blaine Lee Pardoe did nothing wrong.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: What the hell is going on?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2017, 14:19:34 »
These are issues that are addressed at the management/developer level. Much like the cashier at Walmart doesn't set the prices, the writers work on the material they are assigned.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2017, 17:21:17 »
Although this you had an answer already from a writer it is more appropriate for"Ask the Lead Developers" so has been moved. As Kit stated the writers are not able to answer business questions.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

THEMONSTER

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2017, 18:21:15 »
Sorry about the necro post, I'm hoping to hear the new Developers say something about the above.
Blaine Lee Pardoe did nothing wrong.

Register