Author Topic: Miniature of the Fortnight #29: Banshee  (Read 7388 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Miniature of the Fortnight #29: Banshee
« on: 07 November 2017, 22:55:41 »
This fortnight, we look at another iconic 'Mech of the Lyran Commonwealth, the Banshee.  Another TRO 3025 'Mech, it has been with us through the years.  Scotty posted a great 'Mech of the Week article and I suggest reading it if you haven't.

There have been several miniatures for the Banshee:
  • The original sculpt was released by Ral Partha and is still available from IWM (originally 20-882, currently BT-281).  The original mini may have had parts for the BNC-3S configuration as well but I'm not sure.
  • The Beginner's Set sculpt appears to be based on the original sculpt.  This is currently available from IWM as part of the Fire Lance Pack. (10-042)
  • There is a BNC-3E resculpt available from Iron Wind Metals (20-969).
  • There are two newer miniatures, one for the BNC-11X from XTRO: Steiner (20-5072) and one for the primitive BNC-1E (20-5079).
  • Finally, the introductory box sets have had plastic minis, presumably based on the Beginner's Set sculpt.  This also appears in the Lyran-themed Battle Lance Pack.
Hopefully we have plenty of Banshees to post.  We look forward to seeing them!  (I have one painted and hopefully I remember to take a picture this week.)

Thank you for reading and especially thank you to those who share pictures!

Our next fortnights will be:
  • Clan (11/19): Hellbringer (Loki)
  • Inner Sphere (12/3): Crab and King Crab

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Miniature of the Fortnight #29: Banshee
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2017, 00:18:28 »
Time to start the Banshee party.  First we have a plastic one from the previously mentioned battle lance pack.  This one is painted up as part the an Illician Lancer battalion I'm working on.  Second one is the BT-281 model from IWM, built as the BNC-5S variant.  One of my earlier works and an attempt at a variation of the FWL militia scheme.  Not one of my favorite jobs, but I'll post it none the less  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2017, 02:12:01 »
Have to break this up into 2 separate post.  Apparently I really liked the Banshee in my earlier years.

Left to right.

OG sculpt, resculpt, Primative and the 11X

BNC-3S and BNC-5S.  I could never figure out why they needed to change around the weapons locations for what should have been a simple upgrade.  The old sculpt did indeed come with parts for the 3S and was a great bits source.

2 versions of the BNC-3M, original sculpt and the resculpt

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2017, 02:17:26 »
Part 2.

Old Banshee BNC-3MC and the Resculpt  BNC-3Q. 

3 custom builds I did, based loosely off the 3S and painted in an EZ-8 scheme and the GPO1 scheme. 
The Red and Tan unit was a mod with weapons in the torsos to leave the hands free for melee.

Lastly, Hulk.  I used the Phoenix Thunderbolt lower arms to bulk out the original arms for a more imposing look.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2017, 02:25:32 »
OMG, what the heck happened to that poor resculpt, and why is one of ots hands so much bigger than the other?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2017, 02:35:48 »
I wish I had an answer for that.  As it is, the head just screams Venom to me.

OMG, what the heck happened to that poor resculpt, and why is one of ots hands so much bigger than the other?

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2017, 10:23:55 »
This thread makes me sad that I haven't gotten to my primitive banshee yet. It is sad, and unassembled.  :(

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2017, 14:07:46 »
The primitive is IMO the best option. Looks great as-is and takes mods well.

A few various Banshees I've painted:
- a primitive version modded to an -8S, 26th Lyran Guards
- 2 XTRO versions, Stone's Lament and Lyran Regulars
- another primitive, serving as the base for a non-canon design, CGB Silverroot Keshik

tsmpaul

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2017, 18:24:30 »
Here's two from the beginner box set
- red vs blue battletech painting -

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2017, 20:53:21 »
Loved the idea of the -11x and got one when it was avilable. No military colors as it's suposed to be only a demonstrator.  #P

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2017, 07:16:35 »
There is a Resculpt Banshee in Skye Rangers camo for a lance of the early SW.
Then you see a Donegal Guards 3S that was build to fit the correct weapon placement and a 5th Crucis Lancers 3S that use the intended bits.
And finally there is a primitive Sculpt for the Marik Militia - brutal power.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2017, 11:59:42 »
My one and only painted Banshee is from the Introductory Box Sheet plastics and done in 9th Marik Militia...

Caz

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2017, 12:49:49 »
My memory is hazy on the exact timing, but I believe the poor appearance of the resculpt Banshee and the Uziel may have been the result of FASA's death. When FASA closed it's doors, Ral Partha went with it.  I think the resculpt Banshee and Uziel were in the work at that time. I don't remember if Partha released them in a hurry before they shut down, or if IWM inherited the masters and released them later when they took over. There's a chance they didn't go through the normal QA process.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 12 November 2017, 03:01:40 »
The Banshee - one of my favourite Marik assault 'Mechs! (You have to ask questions when a supposedly opponent's design is so popular on your assault 'Mech RATs ...  >:D )

So here are mine.

From the left,
- Baron Samedi, a BNC-3S which was the 'boss' in a long-running campaign back in the 80s, before Stone's Lament was an inkling in the Master's eye. Given the players heavy end were a Rifleman and a Crusader, it was a real threat. Original lead goodness.
- a BNC-3E from the 13th Marik Militia (1st Intro box, as are the next two)
- a BNC-3M from Waco's Rangers
- a BNC-5S in generic forest camo.

- A metal BNC-6S in Team Steiner colours; I've missed the one-piece crapped-nappy version. Must pick up the Prim and the 11X sometime.
- a BCN-3MC in Magistracy Cavaliers colours
- And finally a pair of BNC-3S, one plastic, one lead - Lyran Guard and ComStar generic desert camo.

Truly a great mini, and a great 'Mech. (Marik, that is ;) )

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

hauptmann fanjoy

• CamoSpecs
  • Corporal
    • Heavy Gauss - Dave Fanjoy's Mech Gallery
« Reply #14 on: 12 November 2017, 13:08:24 »
This is probably my favorite Banshee, from the 2015 CSO diorama at GenCon.  It's based on the box set plastic one, but I rebuilt the arms with metal tubing and hands from an AXM-2N.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2017, 15:32:56 »
Love the look of the autocannon!

This is probably my favorite Banshee, from the 2015 CSO diorama at GenCon.  It's based on the box set plastic one, but I rebuilt the arms with metal tubing and hands from an AXM-2N.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #16 on: 13 November 2017, 17:48:58 »
Here is my converted Banshee for my Lyran unit. Still WIP with my annoyingly time consuming Berlin inspired urban camo...

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 17 November 2017, 13:47:59 »
There's some awesome Banshee works in this thread!  I humbly contribute my custom 11X, that I built for a friend.  Extra gun on the Left Arm, and a biiiiig honking "Hatchet" on the Right Arm. :D  Not shown: TSM, that makes this bad boy straight murder things with said "Hatchet".

Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2017, 14:14:22 »
Very sharp (pun fully intended)!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2017, 18:46:00 »
My Banshee S original lead version circa 1991 with a Desert Storm camouflage scheme.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2017, 04:30:33 »
this one had a repose, but I think I weakened it. In fact, all the weight is now concentrated on the ankle that is likely to break.
is an old lead version that I modified in the 3050 version.

IMG_20171210_102210 by agen2, su Flickr

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #22 on: 07 October 2020, 13:51:46 »
Typical Lyran Guard colored Banshee.

Box set plastic, rebased on transparent hex. 

Also, it's been modified with magnets to allow conversion to a -3S model.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics