Author Topic: Battlemaster BLR-3B  (Read 1563 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Battlemaster BLR-3B
« on: 18 January 2018, 17:53:27 »
3075 era variant of the Battlemaster assault battlemech for thoughts, opinions, and constructive input.

==========

Battlemaster BLR-3B

Code: [Select]
Battlemaster BLR-3B
IS Assault Battlemech
85 tons 
BV: 1,893
Cost: 16,920,285 C-bills

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 340 Light
Heat Sinks: 19 [38]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 130
Armor: 254/263 (Light Ferro-Fibrous)
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Head                        3        9
Center Torso               27       40
Center Torso (rear)                 11
Right Torso                18       28
Right Torso (rear)                   8
Left Torso                 18       28
Left Torso (rear)                    8
Right Arm                  14       28
Left Arm                   14       28
Right Leg                  18       33
Left Leg                   18       33

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
ER PPC                          RA    15
ER PPC                          RA    15
Streak SRM 6                    LT     4
ER Medium Laser                 RT     5
ER Medium Laser                 RT     5
ER Medium Laser                 LT     5
ER Medium Laser                 LT     5
Machine Gun                     LA     0
Machine Gun                     LA     0

Ammo                           Loc Shots
----------------------------------------
Streak SRM 6 Ammo               RT    15
Half Machine Gun Ammo           RT   100

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: Battlemaster BLR-3B
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2018, 01:00:55 »
Not real fond of IS Streaks or the MGs, especially with no CASE to protect the ammo.  I'd swap them all out for an MML-7, 2 tons of ammo, and add CASE.  You can load out your missiles if you'd like to deal with infantry.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2018, 01:43:15 »
While an MML would be great, I'm good with the Streak-6 and it's "Big Hit or No Heat" characteristics. And I'm fond of how MGs are PBI meat-grinders too. ;)

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2018, 07:43:36 »
Love how you recreated the classic look....twin barrels in the right arm, standard layout of mediums and the 6-pack srms.....even kept the machine guns!  Classic, but upgraded.  Nicely done!
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2018, 14:07:43 »
THAT was the entire point here.

Functionally it acts like an Uber-Warhammer, but it's been a tough customer in our games so far.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2018, 16:00:21 »
The heat sinks seem a bit odd to me. At long range you're firing 30 heat, and at short you're firing 24(ignoring the PPCs), but you have 38 HS. Is the plan to be firing an ERPPC at short range? You could drop 3 HS to upgrade to endo-composite or regular ferro fibre, and add another SSRM-6 or a couple MPLs or something.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2018, 17:35:17 »
you recreated the classic look....twin barrels in the right arm, standard layout of mediums and the 6-pack srms.....even kept the machine guns!  Classic, but upgraded.

Part of the point of this was to retain the original look and "feel". With that in mind, I thought the ERPPCs would be long-range weapons, backed by the Streak-6 in closer ranges, and using the ERMLs as secondary or back-up weapons. The MGs serve well for anti-infantry weapons. :D

As for a composite internal structure, I can't say I like the fragility of that on an assault mech intended as a brawler. I know it's a cheap way to get away with extra tonnage without the bulk, but it's not really a bonus on anything other than already fragile light mechs. ???

And IS MPLs and just not worth the effort no matter what... ;)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2018, 03:08:48 »
Hmm... I'd drop to 16 DHS and pack in ES instead of LFFA. With the extra weight I'd swap the MGs for a SPL, add an ECM and a pair of rear MPLs.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2018, 03:28:10 »
Hmm... I'd drop to 16 DHS and pack in ES instead of LFFA. With the extra weight I'd swap the MGs for a SPL, add an ECM and a pair of rear MPLs.

Not a bad suggestion, but I do have a question:

Knowing how god-awful bad IS Med Pulse Lasers are, with their increased weight and total lack of range, why do people keep mounting them rear? Most everything that's going to shoot you in the back has greater range and can easily avoid return fire that way.

NOT being a smart-ass here at all, I just honestly don't get rear-firing IS MPLs. :o

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2018, 06:01:48 »
In my case, because short-range rear attacks are the most dangerous. The rear guns are mostly to keep people away!

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2018, 13:25:59 »
Knowing how god-awful bad IS Med Pulse Lasers are, with their increased weight and total lack of range, why do people keep mounting them rear?

Most rear attacks in my experience happen at short or point blank range.  If someone is playing on a board so massive that you allowed something with a large weapon get in your rear arc, you probably have horrible tactics or your line collapsed.  There are some exceptions to that, of course, VTOLs could elect to just flank across the board and turn around to start shooting.  That is however why you carry ACs with flak to shoot them down.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2018, 17:26:26 »
Interesting.  8)

In the majority of the games I've played, it's usually some Light or Medium that tries to get behind me for a back-shot. And they usually have weapons with longer ranges than a MPL. The canon designs I've run with rear-firing MPLs almost never get a shot off, so I usually swap them out for ERMLs. That usually keeps backstabbers at bay better for me. ;)

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2018, 18:30:50 »
Vanilla mediums for me - less heat, lower BPV, and usually enough range. Depending on the mech, even small pulses, as they screw up infantry without worrying about ammo

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2018, 20:06:15 »
In the majority of the games I've played, it's usually some Light or Medium that tries to get behind me for a back-shot. And they usually have weapons with longer ranges than a MPL. The canon designs I've run with rear-firing MPLs almost never get a shot off, so I usually swap them out for ERMLs. That usually keeps backstabbers at bay better for me. ;)

My follow up is that I don't endorse IS MPL unless you know you are going to be knife fighting.  The other reason to use pulse specifically is that fact you are likely to have targets both in front and back of you.  The pulse in theory makes that easier to hit.  Firing at targets in different arcs simultaneously is a more difficult shot than just shooting a secondary target in the same arc of fire.  Pulse makes sense in that circumstance, but still falls under the, you shouldn't have let them behind you in the first place that you would have to take both of those shots in different arcs.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2018, 16:51:34 »
Well I like the design but might i make couple of  suggestion, drop the MGs and Ammo
Replace the MG with a SPL [To handle those annoying PBI] and add Case system for the SSRM ammo.

And then given this is either over Heatsinked or going to be so hot it will be painful [Alpha Strike], but will be able to make Jiffy Pop in the cockpit with ease, why not drop 3 of HS for a Command Console.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register