Author Topic: magnet-tech mechwarrior  (Read 3762 times)

tsmpaul

• Corporal
magnet-tech mechwarrior
« on: 25 January 2012, 01:01:47 »
Hi guys! I've started using the mechwarrior scale figures to make my own custom mechs. Chopping mechs and tanks into pieces, to seperate all the weaponry, I'm having fun attaching magnets as 'hard points' on the mech chassis, and can now stick any weapon onto the mechs to outfit them :) Here's the four I've done so far, with and without objects attached to them. The mech at the rear on the right is a custom chassis - consisting of the legs of a Wasp, someone's 'shoulder pad' and someone's cut-up backpack to form the waist, and the main body is a tank turret, with weapons removed from it.

Equipped Mechs:

Unequipped Mechs:

- red vs blue battletech painting -

Nostra

• Corporal
Re: magnet-tech mechwarrior
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2012, 01:09:47 »
Wow man, nice job! Those look awesome, great paint scheme along with the excellent magnetry (that a word?...well it is now). I recognize the Shockwave, Koshi, and Uller base, but what's the one in the rear? I don't recognize it.

tsmpaul

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2012, 01:51:13 »
Hi! Thanks!

what's the one in the rear? I don't recognize it.

I'm calling the fourth mech a 'Gorgon' at the moment. Haven't got final stats on it yet, but probably in the 70 - 80 ton range (it's tall, but its thin).

It's made of the legs of a wasp, the waist/lower body is someone's bulky shoulder pad glued to a Crimson Hawk's backpack (minus weapons/accessories), and the top of the body is a Behemoth II's turret section glued on top (minus weapons).

Magnets are attached to the behemoth's wing bits, where missile launchers once hung, so 'arm' weapons can attach there. Two other attachments on either side of lower body (the shoulder pad piece), and one magnet on the back so missile launchers and things can go on top at the rear

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2012, 02:28:36 »
Faaaaaaaa-Lippiiiin' Sweet! Excellent work! O0 [drool] 8)
"Veni Vidi Vici"

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2012, 08:17:55 »
You have indeeda fine looking lance here! I also like your terrain a lot.  :)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Propnut

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2012, 08:53:00 »
Nice color scheme, and the magnet idea is awesome!

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2012, 09:29:51 »
Very nice.  8) O0
Life: Some assembly required!

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2012, 10:18:18 »
WOW! cool idea and they look great! O0

spaceman spiff

• Warrant Officer
  • We will deal with your rebel farmers soon enough..
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2012, 11:09:13 »
that is a well-executed idea. very nice work, too. unfortunately, the uller seems to be pigeon-toed. it would be nice to see individual pics as well as the group pic.
it is great to see another N-scaler come to the boards.  O0 O0
Spaceman has his own blog now!
http://spaceman-spiff-studio.blogspot.com/

tsmpaul

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2012, 17:19:27 »
Here's some individual pics, and some weapons in different places.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2012, 17:21:02 »
 [applause]

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2012, 17:47:40 »
Very impressive work!  What size magnets do you use, and where do you get them?

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2012, 19:00:09 »
 O0 :o

tsmpaul

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2012, 19:18:46 »
What size magnets do you use, and where do you get them?

I just buy them off of ebay. They are size: 1/8" x 1/16" or 3.2mm x 1.6mm
Sometimes people round off the mm when listing them, and just say 3 x 1.5 - when they are really 3.2 x 1.6, while other times they actually are 3 x 1.5, so sometimes it's best to ask to make sure they are the same size as ones you are using.

I don't know if this helps people, but this is how I make sure that all magnets are facing the correct directions for objects to connect properly:

I glue my first magnet hardpoint onto a mech. Then I stick a second magnet to the first magnet, and glue the weapon onto it's end. This makes sure the two magnets will attach to each other. When the glue has set, I can pop off the now magnetised weapon, and repeat process to magnetise more weapons. To make sure all hardpoint magnets on the mechs are facing correctly, you just take a weapon that has a magnet on it, and stick another magnet to the one on the weapon. Then put glue on the second magnet, and attach the weapon to the mech where you want a new hardpoint to be. Once the glue has dried, the weapon and its magnet comes away, and a new hardpoint magnet is now on the mech, correctly aligned.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2012, 19:39:14 »
Really nice work with the modularity. I gotta say the paint is pretty dang impressive too. O0

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2012, 10:49:57 »
Wow great job! :P

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2012, 10:55:29 »
Wow great job! :P

Awesome work, now I want to canabalize some Mechwarrior...be perfect for teaching the tots and kids with no attention span Battletech & Quickstrike over lead mini's.
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2012, 13:52:57 »
Wow, those look great!  O0

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2012, 18:55:04 »
I just buy them off of ebay. They are size: 1/8" x 1/16" or 3.2mm x 1.6mm
Sometimes people round off the mm when listing them, and just say 3 x 1.5 - when they are really 3.2 x 1.6, while other times they actually are 3 x 1.5, so sometimes it's best to ask to make sure they are the same size as ones you are using.

Great info, thanks.  I see also some that are 1/16 x 1/32".  Worth a shot, I think!  I'll measure them with my calipers and then I'd like to see if I can design some magnet sockets into my 'Mechs.  Might have to ping my old commissioners and see if they want me to retrofit their models with magnet sockets, too...

Register