Author Topic: 2013 Gencon exclusive  (Read 31609 times)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: 2013 Gencon exclusive
« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2013, 19:52:47 »
Sorry if I seem rude, but can someone explain the distaste for jumper's so I can at least see someone else's point of view.

Some people consider it overdone (too many times), others don't like them because they are not really usable on the gaming table and more for painting and looking awesome.

Then again, if they really sell as well as the past suggests, those people are clearly in the minority.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 20 May 2013, 20:00:21 »
Word, I guess that's why they are considered the vocal minority. I guess I just consider jumping LE's rather organic for reason's stated earlier. On a side not I know some of these guys in real life and some people have to realize That this is hobby and 2nd job to most and a little more respect should be given for what they do.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 20 May 2013, 20:15:52 »
The jumpers are perceived by some as not useful for tabletop play, as they're large, exceed a hexbase, complicate rules based on physical line of site to minis & terrain, and/or are awkward to assemble (pick some from column A, some from column B). Others consider the variants chosen to be too specific or unique, again mainly coming from the tabletop game. Lastly, others object to the limited availability of the minis - initially only at conventions attended by IWM or their agents, before becoming online available a year or so later.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #33 on: 20 May 2013, 20:42:51 »
Again, I don't have any problem with them, but I don't see why anyone would consider gaming with one of them either.   :-\  If you're going to complain about the "LOS Issue" from using them, DON'T game with them.  It's not like that's your ONLY sculpt of that mini available.  ::)  I'm not a painter myself, but I enjoy seeing some of the Artwork people post on various BT sites, that they've done with the various jumping minis.   O0
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #34 on: 20 May 2013, 20:56:17 »
For me, it's one of those 'been there, done that' things. They've done it every year for the past few years, and I'm ready to do something fresh. The Jade Hawk was a no-brainer for me (I'm a Jade Falcon player, did you know?), but... to be honest, it's sat half-finished on my shelf for several years now. The Hatchetman was at least short enough that I can use it at a gaming table without it falling over all the time (even then, I have two other Hatchetman miniatures to use instead), but the Thunderbolt was the same problem as the Jade Hawk- too tall, no real use at the table. I never picked up the Rifleman, Rifleman IIC, and only did last year's Atlas as a commission piece for GhostBear (who politely didn't laugh at my shoddy work!).

I'd love to see something new and in a new direction- I think I can speak for the majority when I say that the Catapult from 2007 (was it '07?) was an awesome piece of work, one that is still sought by many to work on and which I've now done four of (one of each flavor for my own collection, one of each flavor for Slade and his son) and would love to do more of. The 28mm Hauberk looked like a great piece as well (haven't picked one up, sadly), and I'd love to see more of that done. Someone mentioned the Salamander- how great would THAT look in 28mm? Or the Fenrir? Again, not really useful for the table, but something new at least.

Lest anyone take that wrong, that's not me hating on IWM, sculptors, etc., and shouldn't be taken as a Catalyst minion talking bad about them at all- rather, as a fan who has just burned out on the jumping Mech idea, and would like to see new ideas rather than seeing what else can be put on a jump stand.

...Unless it's an Urbanmech. Again, I'd buy the hell out of that, mostly so I can photograph every mini I paint from now on with an Urbie doing a DFA on it. ;)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2013, 22:23:30 »

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2013, 23:07:04 »
Someone said jumping urbanmech. Now if it were accompanied my a re-vamped/re-imagined sculpt I would be all over that.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2013, 23:29:57 »
Ascetically they are unpleasing to look at.  This is not to say they are bad sculpts, but there is only so much that you can do to make a jumping brick look cool.  The best way I can describe it is being on the stage hand side of a Peter Pan musical watching flight, it is unspectacular.

Darrian Wolffe

• Master Sergeant
  • Starting over is hard to do...
    • Team Cincinnati BattleTech!
« Reply #39 on: 20 May 2013, 23:33:18 »
Let it be a crossover year.  A jumping LAM.  That goes from superheavy Mech...to Leviathan.

Every time a grognard comes to realise the game can't survive purely on his dog-eared copy of the Warrior Trilogy, duct-taped CityTech boxed set and personal sense of spite and has taken a tack of mild concern for the future marketability of the game...an angel gets its wings.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #40 on: 20 May 2013, 23:48:32 »

OK, I actually only meant that for those that don't like the Jumpers. I don't mind them myself, but I know there's a lot of people that are sick of them, and I've also heard that this year's LE/CE mini Will Be another Jumper.   "Because they Sell."
It could be they sell because they are Con Exclusives. Rarity brings out buyers. Aesthetic appeal is not the only inducemet to buy, perhaps not even the major one
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 20 May 2013, 23:54:34 »
Let it be a crossover year.  A jumping LAM.  That goes from superheavy Mech...to Leviathan.

Jumping HML Medusa!!
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #42 on: 21 May 2013, 00:03:44 »
Yeah...pretty much, the reason I am not fond of the jumping minis is the "OK..so..um..how about doing something
different now?" aspect of it. They never did a Jumping Catapult K2, which is a Con Exclusive. Why can't they do
stuff like that? Variants that are noticeably different that people have to kit-bash normally to do?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #43 on: 21 May 2013, 00:15:13 »
Jumping mechs are overdone, do a jumping Kanga instead!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2013, 00:39:21 »
Yeah...pretty much, the reason I am not fond of the jumping minis is the "OK..so..um..how about doing something
different now?" aspect of it. They never did a Jumping Catapult K2, which is a Con Exclusive. Why can't they do
stuff like that? Variants that are noticeably different that people have to kit-bash normally to do?

Purely my personal POV, but the Con Exclusive pieces are not aimed at the tabletop gamers at all. They're meant to be displays of IWM's technical proficiency, and to offer something the highly skilled painters can show their best on. In other words, they're semi-promotional.

Look at Reaper; they do their "Sophie" succubus each year in a new costume. Totally irrelevant to any game, but they're keenly collected by painters & collectors.

Then look at a Whitworth, or a Vindicator - even though I love the old Badger of Tikonov, it's nothing to compete detail-wise with a fantasy, or even a W40K, figure. Yes, the Jade Hawk & some of the new designs are flashier, but they're less detail-rich - no textures, no fabrics, no flesh tones, none of the usual things the painters can go to town on.

(Which makes the appearance of BT minis in the winners of con painting contests each year an amazing testament to the skills of the painters who still love their mechs!

All IMHO, of course.

W.

Dak

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 21 May 2013, 02:07:34 »
Whether you like the jumping sculpts or not, I would encourage you to stay tuned.  8)

Dak

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 21 May 2013, 04:48:23 »
Didn't they do the omega as a con exclusive, that was different and people still complained.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #47 on: 21 May 2013, 05:16:24 »
Didn't they do the omega as a con exclusive, that was different and people still complained.
True, but they dared have a jumper as well ... ;)

I agree with worktroll here - the jumpers are not necessarily aimed at the gamers and I for one like that something is done for the collectors and painters. Besides posing the jumpers is a breeze, whether it is an action pose in-flight or a non-jumping pose.

Reaper has their Sophie, IWM has the jumpers. Even though the theme is not 100% mine I like that they stick to it. And I don't think it would be fair to say they don't listen to the fans. Sure there was a jumper last year, but also the Omega, the Hauberk, the pre-releases ...

To echo Dak ... stay tuned!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 21 May 2013, 08:39:36 »
Of the jumpers released so far, my favorite has to be the Hatchetman. The tall, thin jump plumes don't always look quite right to me, but the Hatchetman just has attitude, enhanced by the jumping pose.

Of course, I'm still waiting for my jumping Highlander. Maybe it'll be this year.  8)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #49 on: 21 May 2013, 11:36:05 »

Oh. Yeah, I forgot about that being a Con exclusive for a while as well. Sorry!

(One of these days I need to paint mine... the size isn't the issue, it's the amount of huge flat panels that I find intimidating...)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 21 May 2013, 12:06:55 »
I'm disappointed by the fact IWM does not attend any of the West coast conventions.  But then again gaming cons here tend to be much smaller affairs than what IWM would probably consider going to.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #51 on: 21 May 2013, 13:11:49 »

Considering the Omega was available as an Online Exclusive by Christmas, can it Really be called a "Con Exclusive" ?   ???   Seems to me more like it simply "Debuted" at the Cons more than anything else.  I'm still considering buying one and commissioning a certain painter to make me a "Hello Omega Kitty!"  >:D    I LOVE my Hello Kitty Thunderbolt IIC, even if I'm less than satisfied with the mini itself.  :D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 21 May 2013, 13:24:03 »

Considering the Omega was available as an Online Exclusive by Christmas, can it Really be called a "Con Exclusive" ?   ???   Seems to me more like it simply "Debuted" at the Cons more than anything else.  I'm still considering buying one and commissioning a certain painter to make me a "Hello Omega Kitty!"  >:D    I LOVE my Hello Kitty Thunderbolt IIC, even if I'm less than satisfied with the mini itself.  :D

The GenCon Omega's were cast off the original master mold, so they're a bit larger than the production mold minis
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #53 on: 21 May 2013, 13:40:59 »
The GenCon Omega's were cast off the original master mold, so they're a bit larger than the production mold minis

Even larger? My production version is already a big monster.

I love it.  {>{>
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

RGCavScout

• Master Sergeant
  • We are the Brute Squad!
« Reply #54 on: 21 May 2013, 15:55:26 »
Just putting this out there.  I think that many of the anit-jumping crowd could be appeased if it were able to pose the mini without the jump jet exhaust pieces.  That way it could be either a really cool jumping mini or a really cool standing mini.  I don't know if this would be practical; but I would much rather provide a possible solution as opposed to crapping in IWM's backyard like a drunken alley cat.

Of course that is just my opinion, the statistics I've developed over my lifetime indicate that I probably got it wrong.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."  Dread Pirate Roberts

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #55 on: 21 May 2013, 16:44:20 »
It's a jumping Leviathan II?
Ah the Jumping Warship, just put down a blank hex and if people question it simply say its in another spot of space at the moment.
It'll return, after it recharges.
Any minute now.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Berzerker

• Corporal
« Reply #56 on: 21 May 2013, 17:17:07 »
I like the jumpers, have most/all but I would love to see a few exotic or extreme variants in place of the jumpers.
Someone has to play Jade Falcon or it is just a bunch of wolf on wolf action.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 21 May 2013, 17:20:27 »
Given the note in the recent BattleChat about the "Fall of Terra" event needing IWM minis for the appropriate TRO:3145 units before they can be added in, I would hope for the likes of the Colossi, the Warwolf, or any other Clan or Republic units one might expect to see in such a battle show up.

Perhaps one of the mysterious QuadVees? (But then, only the Horses seem interested in experimenting with those, and they would be in no hurry to fight alongside Alaric.)

But then, it's not like I'd be able to make it to GenCon myself, so the opinion of someone who would actually be in a postion to go might carry more weight at this point.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 17:22:53 by Nerroth »

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: 21 May 2013, 18:51:51 »
Just putting this out there.  I think that many of the anit-jumping crowd could be appeased if it were able to pose the mini without the jump jet exhaust pieces.  That way it could be either a really cool jumping mini or a really cool standing mini.  I don't know if this would be practical; but I would much rather provide a possible solution as opposed to crapping in IWM's backyard like a drunken alley cat.

Of course that is just my opinion, the statistics I've developed over my lifetime indicate that I probably got it wrong.

The Rifleman, Rifleman IIC, and Atlas could quite easily be posed without the jump plumes. T-Bolt too (see the -10M variant). The Atlas even comes with the regular back, so if you don't want the jump pack, or want to use it with something else, it's still all good.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 21 May 2013, 22:46:20 »
Jumping mechs are overdone, do a jumping Kanga instead!

That would be cool

Register