Author Topic: Old Habits (AU with Thanks)  (Read 8178 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Old Habits (AU with Thanks)
« on: 16 October 2017, 02:14:46 »
This story will take us into the future of my timeline and tell a tale that really deserves to be read on its own

Please enjoy and feel free to comment

Davion Wing, Whitting Conference Centre
Unity City, North America
Terra, Star League Protectorate
1st November 3110

Victor Steiner-Davion entered the Davion Wing of the Whitting Centre on the eve of the Seventeenth Whitting Conference.  In the main meeting room he saw his daughter-in-law Duhess Sterling Davion with her daughter Leah and youngest son Christopher.  “Grandfather!”  Leah called out seeing him dropping her toy and running across the room at twelve years old she was growing up quickly she wrapped her arms around him as he approached.  Her four year old brother Christopher was slower but reached him a moment or two later.

“Sire, it is good to see you” Sterling said rising from one of the white leather couches she wore a simple black knee length skirt with a green lined red jacket her red hair was tied back in a single ponytail.

“Sterling, please you know you do not need to stand on ceremony” Victor said stepping further into the room the two children returning to their toys.  “Where is Burton?”

“Where else does a restless MechWarrior go?”  She asked rhetorically knowing that Victor would know the answer.  “He said he wouldn’t be long” she said glancing at the door which led to the Mechbay “that was six hours ago.”  She said turning back with a smile on her face “he is a Davion son through and through it keeps him happy.”

“I hear that you too have been returning to what your old habits?”  He said

“They die hard” she confirmed “I joined the FSS Sword and Sun on a patrol of the Snow Raven border” she said the Federated Suns Navy had essentially offered her a command of any vessel she wanted with the High Command honouring her previous training and experience with Clan Snow Raven.  So far she had turned down their offer instead serving as an observer she had told Burton that until Leah and Christopher were both old enough to cope alone she planned to remain an observer on any of these tours he arranged.  “It is a good ship and a good crew.  They are eager to teach the Draconis Combine a lesson for their incursions but will wait until commanded.”  She said confident in the ship’s resolve.

“I know it must hurt their morale not to strike but the Combine remains part of the League and the Federated Suns drive towards Benjamin has driven a wedge between the nations committing further troops would only spark a greater conflict one that may even draw in the Ravens.”

“Neg, the Ravens would only fight if provoked and thus far that has not happened.”  She pointed out “the Combine continues to escalate the situation while our forces and people suffer.”  She said passionately Victor smiled happy to see she had fallen in love with the people of his nation as she had his son.

“There is a time and a place.  I hoped that this conference would lead to a peace…”

“It would have if the Snakes had bothered to show up.”  She shot back interrupting him “I apologise, si… Victor, I have over stepped” she said glancing down.

“Neg, you have not” he said answering using her tongue.  “You are right the Coordinator sending a Warlord in his place has done more damage than good.”  He admitted instead of Coordinator Akira Kurita the Draconis Combine’s Warlord of Dieron Akira Tormark had attended the conference although Tormark had the authority to cast the Combine’s vote it made the chances of peace near impossible and almost completely ruled out the Draconis Combine holding the office of First Lord.  “Where is Luther?”  He asked glancing down at the two playing children wondering where their eldest was.

“At home studying Sarah is looking after him while we are away” she said naming one of Burton’s siblings.  Victor nodded understanding but at the same time concerned that the future leader of the Federated Suns was not here to see what he could face in the future should these conferences last that long.

“I’ll go see my son, I’ll be back up later you two” Victor said the the children who waved him goodbye as Victor headed out the back door and began to head down a spiral staircase towards the lower level below the living quarters was the security level and then below that was a small but well stocked armoury and Mechbay.

Victor saw Burton’s Templar was in the bay he was surprised to hear that his son had taken the OmniMech to a planet where there was nearly zero chance of combat occurring but Burton had explained that it played to the image he was a Warrior Prince like Davion Leaders of old.  It had struck him when he read his son’s response that Burton was far more media savvy than he ever had been.

Reaching the eighty-five ton Templar III’s foot however Victor’s attention was drawn to the OmniMech standing beside it.  The Templar III was an impressive slick design, an evolution of an OmniMech that had dominated the ranks of the AFFS for decades, but the OmniMech that stood beside it was in a class of its own.  One hundred tons of engine, armour, equipment and weapons it was the pinicle of BattleMech technology one of the ultimate killing machines ever built by humanity. “Prometheus…” he whispered looking at the Dire Wolf still painted in the colours of the Tenth Lyran Guards RCT. 

“Beautiful isn’t she?”  His son asked appearing beside him Burton wore a full body coolant suit, a far more advanced system than Victor ever had in his day.

“She’s functional and capable” Victor said looking at the details of the OmniMech “I haven’t seen her for many years.”  He said looking up at the OmniMech “why did you bring it?”

“Old habits” he said looking at his father smiling.  “Also I hear that the SLDF have some impressive training facilities nearby, I though we could maybe take a run at it?”

“Your mother will kill me” Victor admitted looking at the OmniMech.

“If I am not mistaken mother is in Paris which is half a world away from us…”

“Very true”

--------------

Nearly an hour later the Templar III and Dire Wolf stood on the battlefield facing off against several automated targets.  “Let’s dance” Burton broadcast in the open the Templar III danced to the right engaging a long range missile turret while the Dire Wolf went left engaging a turret with heavy autocannons.  As each of the two OmniMechs moved their simulated fire registered as damage to their targets shutting them down while the turrets fired paint rounds at their targets which registered as real damage.  It wasn’t as spectacular as real fighting but it was more cost effective and didn’t result in accidental deaths of MechWarriors.

Victor moved quickly from one target to the next his Dire Wolf taking damage as he moved but the OmniMech was easily capable of taking the hits and dealing with these targets.  As he moved he keyed his microphone to Burton’s frequency “not much of a challenge” he noted as a group of lasers engaged resulting in simulated burn damage.

“It’s not supposed to be” Burton replied obliterating a target of his own “but the Tri-Vid cameras will love seeing Prometheus in action once more.”

“Still playing games” Victor remarked as an autocannon barrage registered a hit on his OmniMech striking above the cockpit.  Victor’s pace ground to a halt as he listened to his son’s reply.

“Old habits, die hard, dad everyone loves seeing their heroes in action even against training targets.”  Burton explained cutting down another target “and its something very special seeing you at her controls again.”  He said watching as Victor split targets taking down two more turrets from his standing position.

“I always thought you’d take over her controls.”

“Prometheus is and always will be your Mech, and a little too slow for my taste, you have to be able to move around your opponent Instead of just taking hits.”  He said destroying another target but seeing his father’s OmniMech remained standing still he sent a command to the turrets to stand down before circling back to join his father.  “Perhaps I’ll gift it to Luther when he’s ready.”

“Sterling said he was studying?”

“Aff, I mean yes” Burton said stumbling over the response being married to a Clanswoman led to mixed up responses sometimes. “I’m convinced he’ll be the smartest Davion for decades.  And he’ll be a fine MechWarrior when the time comes.”  Burton explained Victor nodded not completely convinced that his grandson was as decided about his future as Burton was.  It was tradition for First Princes of the future to be members of the AFFS but that did not necessarily mean being a MechWarrior.

“Shall we go back?”  Victor asked glancing at the damage schematic for his OmniMech the simulated damage remaining with the gash above its cockpit standing out to the elder Davion.  Had it been a real hit the cockpit would have likely been breached by the damage, a breach that could have killed him.

“Not tempted to get back in the saddle full time?”  Burton teased as the two Mechs began to walk back towards the Mechbay.

“No it’s a habit I was happy to turn my back on it’s a younger man’s game and one I am glad to see that you play well.”  He said looking over his son’s statistics from the “battle” high hit percentages and low damage he was impressed but his eyes were brought back to the simulated damage again he had many close calls in the past why it bothered him to see a simulated hit like it did he didn’t know.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Old Habits (AU with Thanks)
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2017, 16:39:04 »
Victor, the midget center of the unverse, and well I always beleived he understands the price that paid more then most.

Luther should be an interesting Davion

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2017, 17:13:26 »
It seems to me that Tormark is being set up to either show his loyalties to the Combine or lack thereof.  I mean the Deiron Province has almost been cut off from the rest of the Combine and not much assistance has been given.

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2017, 19:37:01 »
Fun read with one of my favorite characters, thanks.

wonder why I've always liked him...
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2017, 06:35:17 »
Main Meeting Hall, Whitting Conference Centre
3rd November 3110

Victor Steiner-Davion remembered that Whitting Conferences were shorter as he sat behind his Burton and Sterling with his wife Danai Centrella-Davion they were the oldest two people in the room by a margin.  In the early days the conferences had been simple the lords had discussed the SLDF’s capabilities, its funding and the ever present Clan threat and then they had voted for a new First Lord.  Now however with the growing size and economic strength of the Star League Protectorate trade was just as strong a factor with trade going through the Protectorate from different nations to avoid conflict zones which made the Protectorate worlds more prosperous each day.  Many within the conference hall wished to see the trade tariffs reduced and instead more money sent to the member states.

Victor paid little attention to their bickering as he looked around the hall he had been surprised to see Archon Jessica Steiner her embattled Lyran Commonwealth was still under heavy threat from the Clans with reports of renewed fighting along their borders.  She was his niece but they barely knew each other their families long separated since Peter’s assumption of the Archonship it bothered him that he did not know his brother’s children better.

Sitting next around the table was Warlord Akira Tormark the representative of the Coordinator Akira Kurita.  Tormark was older than his son and tried to look confident but he was out of place and knew his plans were tied.  Earlier in the day Burton had offered to end the conflict with the Combine and return the systems of Hagiwawa, Umijiri and Kitalpha in the exchange.  The deal was more than Victor would have been ready to return but Akira Tormark was not in the position to agree to the deal and so it had fallen through.

At the next table sat Duke Bannister Cameron the leader of the Star League Protectorate and the next most likely person to become First Lord.  The former Star League Defence Force General was aging well but Victor could see that the stress of leadership was getting to him as was the bickering between leaders.  His attention was brought to his left as Protector Erik Martens-Calderon said something towards Burton and McKenna immediately he moved to stand but Danai’s hand ended up on his arm bringing him back down into his seat he looked at her “old habits” he whispered but Danai was already indicating towards their son who was already acting.  Burton activated several commands on the keypad which was built into the desk which activated the hall’s main projector screen.  Suddenly several red dots appeared displaying the positions of AFFS ground force units and then several more green dots displayed mercenary commands.  Victor had no idea if they were completely accurate but it made of an impressive display especially when the blue dots representing AFFS WarShips appeared peppering the Federated Suns/Taurian Concordat border.  Finally Burton activated another command which displayed a smaller number of yellow dots inside Taurian borders.

“Simple mathematics I have more forces I can deploy would you like to test my resolve?”  The First Prince of the Federated Suns asked beside the Taurian leader the Capellan Confederation ambassador began to laugh.  Although not members of the Star League Council still being a promenant family in the Inner Sphere the Liao family ambassador was regularly invited but rarely attended the votes.

“And still the Davion family attempts to boss these meetings around there is a reason that House Liao stands apart from this council” Ambassador Ming Liao taunted looking around the other members of the council.

“At least we still benefit from the advantages of membership” Magestix Ilsa Centrella of the Magistracy of Canopus said taunting the Succession State.  Victor shook his head this was not the best way to do business instead it was a good way to go around in circles.

--------------

As the Star League member states exchanged insults and fought for dominance in the Whitting Conference Hall across the stars a different type of fight had broken out.  During the night as the Star League met the Jade Falcon WarShips Jade Arrow and Emerald Talon supported by several assault DropShips and nearly a full galaxy of ground forces had jumped into the Donegal system obliterating the LCS Morgan Kell and crippling the LCS Flygia within days Jade Falcon troops would march on the Provincial Capital.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2017, 09:15:31 »
Interesting developments. Donegal is going to be a memorable battle to be sure.

Keep up the great work DC!

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2017, 17:29:56 »
Nice, thanks
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2017, 00:52:15 »
Donegal, that should throw a large number of cats among the pigeons.
Nice write up. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2017, 01:47:56 »
Quieter chapter, more action soon enough

First Lord’s office, Unity Palace
4th November 3110

A week before this had been Victor Steiner-Davion’s office while he served as First Lord of the Star League in the sted of his son now it was the office of the newest First Lord, Bannister Cameron, as Victor walked into the office he saw that Bannister waited for him behind the desk.  “I love what you’ve done with the place” Victor joked the office was no different than when he had used it a large round room with one wall completely dominated by large windows.

“I see you didn’t waste anytime either” Bannister said rising from behind the desk unlike the business suit Victor had wore while serving as First Lord he now wore the uniform of a Field Marshal of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns.

“It’s a little tighter than I remember” Victor admitted touching the waistband of the trousers “it’s all for show while I am here on Terra Burton is convinced that it will show our people that I haven’t gone native.”  He explained again Burton had impressed him showing a near complete understanding of what was going on at home and what needed to be done to keep the masses happy.  “Congratulations on your nomination” he said half seriously continuing to one of the white leather sofas sitting down while Bannister sat opposite him.

“Perhaps the easiest decision that the council ever made” Bannister admitted each of the states could technically be nominated but with the Federated Suns previously holding the positon, the Draconis Combine leader failing to attend, the Free Worlds League leader looking out of his depth and the Lyrans distracted there was little chance of the other main states gaining the position.  Although both member states of the Star League neither the Taurian Concordat nor the Magistracy of Canopus had any realistic chances of gaining the leadership position with their well known history with the first Star League.  “Do you think my speech made any headway?”

“About the uncontrolled arms race that is going on and the steady fall towards a conflict as large as any of the Succession Wars?”  Victor asked Bannister nodded it was all he could think to speak of following the failure of the council to stop the ongoing conflicts.  “Perhaps but I think the news of the fighting on the Lyran border had everyone more concerned.”  He said news that Donegal had been attacked had reached the Council chambers shortly after Bannister had been nominated as the next First Lord.  Archon Jessica Steiner had left nearly immediately heading for a DropShip which immediately boosted off planet heading for a waiting JumpShip.  Under the rules of the current Star League no member state WarShip was allowed to leave the Nadir and Zenith jump points instead SLDF JumpShips situated at pirate points waited to take leaders via command circuit back to their own states.

“Yes Archon Steiner will arrive in the Commonwealth to a fight her people cannot win” Bannister Cameron said looking at Victor his face a mask “Shortly Donegal will be under siege and Pherkad has already fallen to the Falcons.  Grunwald and Kelenfold have fallen to the Horses and there are reports that the Coyotes have attacked Morningside.”  He said reaching out to touch a control on the table that displayed all three Clans had moved forward against the Lyrans.

“A combined offensive” Victor said looking at the map “anything from the Bears?”

“No neither the Bears nor the Wolves have made any move forwards it appears that they are ready to sit and wait.”  Bannister said looking up at Victor “this conflict is the one the Star League was formed to combat I won’t let the Lyrans hang alone.”  He said switching the display to one of the Star League Protectorate which sat in the middle between the five Succession States and Clan Wolf’s Empire.  “I’ve sent orders to the Warlock, Wasp, Cavalier and Vanguard along with the Thirty-first Royal BattleMech Brigade, the First Royal Regimental Brigade and the Second Knights of the Inner Sphere Brigade.”  He explained “we are going to reinforce Lyran positions and force the Falcons off Donegal and support the defences against the Falcons and Coyotes.”

“Cavalier and Vanguard?” Victor said naming two of the Obey-class Battleships based in the Fenwick system both were untested in battle.  While First Lord Victor had learned of the Fenwick and the ships based there he had agreed with Bannister Cameron and Victor Focht to keep the system a secret to protect the population now deploying both ships before they had undergone any of the proposed modifications would bring questions that the SLDF was probably not ready to answer.

“We need to make a statement” Bannister explained “I’m sending Victor Focht to oversee and command them he can liaise with the Lyran commanders.”

“The Commanding-General is a good commander but he hasn’t faced the pressures that he will face on Donegal before.”  He said Victor Focht was an excellent administrator and strategist but his tactical thinking sometimes could be better.  "He has also not neigotiated with the Clans before.  He may not get the respect his position deserves."

“Well I don’t think they would react well to a First Lord by the name of Cameron turning up.”  Bannister pointed out Victor nodded Bannister Cameron turning up on the border was probably the last thing that the Lyrans needed.  “Want the job?”

“Not really” Victor admitted “I retired for a reason.”  He said thinking about Danai and her thoughts of him even considering going on a mission like this.

“You retired far younger than most men would have, I saw your range scores with Burton, you're still at the level you were previously at” Bannister pointed out “with modern medicine you could live another fifty years easily.”  He said one thing that had rapidly returned to the most advanced parts of the Inner Sphere was the benefits brought on by modern medicine and medical technology with the inclusion of Clan technologies, which had been reverse engineered to work with Inner Sphere technology, lifespans had increased to between one hundred-and-twenty and one hundred-and-thirty years.

“Do you know I have lived longer than my father did?”  Victor asked looking at Bannister “with all of the fighting that he did and all the stresses he faced he died in his office at sixty-nine years old he died before he saw his children fully grow up when they could have used his support.”  He said Victor had inherited leadership of the Federated Commonwealth after the death of his father and the murder of his mother had they been around the nation that their marriage built could have survived.

“That may have been true.  At the same time perhaps the Commonwealth was simply too big and too diverse to last, the same happened with the First Star League.”  Bannister reminded him “from what I read about Hanse Davion I don’t think your father was a man to dwell on what could have been.”  Bannister said carefully realizing it was a touchy subject for Victor “I don’t think you are that kind of man either.”

“It would surpise you.”  Victor admitted “one thing that would make an impact on the Clans was if the Lyrans were supported by a multi-national force.”  He suggested “if we could convince the member states to support the SLDF it would send a message.”

“The Star League Defence Force will follow Victor Focht but, I do not know if the member states would, this has not been tested for many years.”

“I will command them” Victor said after a moments thought glancing up at Bannister “I have done it before I can do it again.”  He said “I will speak with my son and have the the Black Prince detached from his escort, we can try to convince Warlord Tormark to detach a destroyer or two from Dieron’s defence.”  He suggested

“Destroyers are about all you’d receive since I don’t think Tormark will want to risk the Akagi and any help the Coordinator could send wouldn't arrive within the required time frame.”  Bannister Cameron agreed “I can speak with Captain-General Ledford and see what the Free Worlds League can add to this force but I wouldn’t expect anything from the periphery states.”

“By the time they arrived it would all be over.”

“I wouldn’t hold my breath about gaining anything from House Liao.”  Bannister said deciding to include them despite their status outside the League, perhaps one day the Capellans would return to the fold.

“Perhaps a knife in the back” Victor half joked showing his contempt for the  rising from his chair opposite him Bannister also rose extending his hand to shake Victor’s.

“You do not need to do this” Bannister said as they shook hands.

“I owe it to my father and to Peter to try.”  He admitted having thought about it he wouldn’t forgive himself if something happened to the Lyran people or Jessica that he could have stopped.  He thought about what Bannister had said about his father Hanse Davion did not live with what could have been he went out to fix it.  “Now I have to try and explain this to my wife.”

-------------------

“You agreed to what?”  Danai Centrella-Davion exclaimed angrily stepping towards her husband off to the side Burton and Sterling stood in a stunned silence.

“I agreed to help…” Victor repeated

“You owe them nothing” Danai said stepping closer to him she was as beautiful as ever and probably as angry as he had ever seen her.  “You are not the First Lord anymore, you’re not the Archon-Prince!”  She almost shouted turning her back on him hiding her tears.

“Dad, this isn’t your fight” Burton said but Victor hadn’t taken his eyes off Danai’s back.  “Your place is at home, we have our own problems.”

“Son, I helped form this Star League, I took the fight to the Clans before I know better than anyone how they think.  Victor Focht for all his experience doesn’t know how they think I can bring the Falcons to heel.  And I owe your cousin everything I can give her she's family we stick up for each other.”  He reminded his son he regretted that he hadn't supported the Lyran nation more in the past now perhaps he had a chance to make a difference.

“Sire… Victor, the Falcons are not the Falcons you once fought” Sterling Davion reminded him her experience as Snow Raven Khan had taught her that the Clans were changing; and perhaps not for he better.  If he didn't think her presence would have enflamed the Falcon anger more he'd have asked his Daughter-in-Law to join them.

“I know the risks” he said looking at his son “which is why I’m borrowing the Black Prince.”

“The Fox’s Teeth are also onboard; they were supposed to be training with the SLDF I guess that can wait and some live fire training is in their future.”

“They are most welcome to join up” Victor said as Danai turned “I hope our strength shows the Falcons this isn’t a fight they can win and their fighting skills are not needed” he said looking at his wife.  “Danai…”

“No, it’s my turn” said cutting him off “I’m not happy with this decision, this was stupid of you, you retired” she said rapidly taking a step towards him.  “But this kind of impulsive decision is why I fell in love with you” she said stepping again towards him “I’m coming with you, we’re doing this together.”  She said as Victor pulled her close to him it wasn’t part of his plan but she had been at his side during the Clan War and had given him a family he was very proud of he wouldn’t turn her away now they were in this together.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2017, 06:11:00 »
Old Inner Sphere habits like Bulldog, but this is Bulldog lite :p  Hopefully it will be a firm enough slap round the Falcon's chops to make them and the other Clans pull back.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2017, 08:30:06 »
I sense a major death coming, Victor's and/or Danai's.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2017, 11:11:25 »
I hope you are wrong, but it will make a impact if it happens
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2017, 12:47:40 »

I also see the possibility of the death of the Falcons.  They are very unlikely to take a hint and pull back (even if the hint comes in the form of a large blunt instrument, like a sledgehammer), so the only way they are going to slow down is if they are decimated.  On the plus side, 4 battleships and the, at least, five regimental brigades in the area are a good start. 

The Lyrans are likely to support such an effort fully, and while they may not be able to reasonably participate in the first wave beyond warship support, the second and further could easily see them making landfall on Falcon worlds.  Why limited participation in the first wave?  They are still a bit on the back foot, and while they have some potential offensive power, they are leaving a lot defenseless to use it - something they've been reticent of allowing.

The Free Worlds League might have a couple smaller vessels it could provide, though their warship forces are still somewhat lacking in tonnage, meanwhile the conflict with the Capellans/Magistracy seems to have died down to a smolder.  They might have a couple regiments they could send on, but they are both very removed from the threat and often look inwards more than they should so probably won't be supplying much.

If Tormark goes all in, he potentially has 2 Kirishima II-class (battle)cruisers, 2 Tatsumaki II-class destroyers, 3 Inazuma II-class corvettes, and potentially the Akagi-class assault carrier; he might have another Kyushu II-class carrier, but I think the only one under his command got deleted by the Dominion, one or two of the other warships may have too, but I forget the specifics.  I very much doubt he could supply much in the way of ground forces, the ones directly under his command are already run ragged by the combination of the issues in Vega, on Dieron itself, and the conflict with the Suns.  The rest of the Dragon is unlikely to help, Akira Kurita has his focus elsewhere and I doubt that will change overly much before the SLDF makes its move.

Now there is real potential for additional units from the FedSuns.  Victor has a significant cult of personality there and certain units would jump at the opportunity to follow him into battle.  Burton himself would probably have to specifically limit the number of units trying to follow Victor, likely allowing no more than 4 units (and probably 2 or 3), warship-wise, the Black Prince probably will go with its escorts, which again, could be significant - I could see the potential of a full battle group going with it, including a pair of Avalon II-class cruiser and a pair of Vincent Davion-class destroyers (or Whirlwind II-class destroyers).

The end result is that if the SLDF and member states decide to focus on a single target, most obvious being the Falcons, they are likely to end up winning, but with significant losses.  The Falcons have a very powerful fleet, full of battleships and battlecruisers, but are comparatively weak on the ground using untested troops to bolster their numbers.  The Horses have the opposite problem, they are relatively weak in space (though they have an Arbitration-class battleship) but strong on the ground, the big downside to going after them is the potential for the SLDF being cut off from behind.  The Coyotes are still so weak that destroying them isn't going to make much of a statement.

Personally, I'd like to see most of what the Inner Sphere throws at the clans getting destroyed, while causing similar levels of destruction among the Falcons and Horses (while I doubt it'll happen, I wouldn't be opposed to the Falcons and Horses merging into a single clan).

TLDR; Awesome update, and I look forward to seeing how this plays out.  >:D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2017, 16:19:00 »
Personally, I'd like to see most of what the Inner Sphere throws at the clans getting destroyed, while causing similar levels of destruction among the Falcons and Horses (while I doubt it'll happen, I wouldn't be opposed to the Falcons and Horses merging into a single clan).
BRING CLAN PEGASUS INTO BEING!!

I do agree there is going to be massive death and destruction on both sides of this, because I think worse, the Clanners are going to see old Victor (BT= King of Cult Personality) and want to kill him and throw away way to many lives and machines trying to do it.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2017, 17:25:12 »
More like Clan Hippogriff
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2017, 16:39:16 »
FSS Black Prince (Mercury-class Battleship)
Nadir Point, Furillo
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
24th November 3110

Having used one of the “ready JumpShips” in the Terra system Victor Steiner-Davion had finally rendezvoused with the FSS Black Prince, the FSS Lucian Davion II and the FSS Adam Davion in the Furillo system.  On board the ships was McKinnon’s Regiment (Fox’s Teeth), a special detachment of the DMI and the Wild Geese mercenary regiment.

Entering the Black Prince’s main briefing room he saw Admiral Kristos Leroux, the commander of the Black Prince, and Colonel Canin McKinnon, the commander of the Fox’s Teeth.  Immediately Victor recoignized Canin McKinnon, the son of Ross McKinnon, “it has been many years Colonel”

“Too many, sire” McKinnon replied bowing his head slightly Victor nodded he reminded Victor of his father in his prime compact, muscled and with a very serious look.  From Canin he turned to the commander of the Black Prince.  Admiral Kristos Leroux was unique in the upper echelon of the FSN in that he had not been born in the Federated Suns instead Leroux had been born a member of Clan Nova Cat and captured in battle several years before.  As with many former Clansmen Leroux had adopted their new state as their own and he had excelled in WarShip command and combat showing loyalty to the Davion family that verged on fanatical rising through the ranks at a pace that few others could match.  Before Victor had left to become First Lord he had been serving as executive officer of the Black Prince.

“Admiral, what’s our status?”

“We have begun to recharge our drives, sire; it will take us another twenty-one days before we are ready to jump again.”  He said giving details on the Black Prince “Commanding-General Focht and elements of the First Royal Regiemental Brigade have arrived in the Tharkad system while the SLS Wasp, the Cavalier and Vanguard along with two Tatsumaki II-class Destroyers and ground force elements including the Ninth Illician Lancers and the 241st Battle Combat Group are in the Canonbie system.”

“Admiral have our communications team send a message to Focht he needs to know that we are joining him and that we should attack together.  What about on Donegal?”  Victor asked taking a seat at the table beside him Danai took her seat with Leroux sitting opposite them and Colonel McKinnon remaining at the briefing screen.

“Sire, at 0842 this morning Clan Jade Falcon hit the Second Royal Guards RCT on Donegal with six clusters.”  McKinnon explained as the screen showed a graphic of Jade Falcon icons landing on Donegal.  “Lyran Intelligence has identified two of these units the Jade Falcon Guards and the Delta Solahma Clusters.”  He said the Jade Falcon Guards were famous, or imfamous, while the Solahma would be used as a sacrifice to weaken the Falcon’s target.  “The other appear to be Eyrie Clusters but none have been seen in combat with Inner Sphere forces…”

“That crazy bitch!” Victor suddenly exclaimed bringing a surprised look from everyone around “Jana Pryde, she’s done a Marthe Pryde” he said looking around “she’s graduated their trainee warriors early and sent them to Donegal to become warriors.”

“Unproven warriors given such a task of seizing Donegal?”  Leroux questioned his face showing disgust for the strategy.

“It’s almost like they don’t want to cleam it” Danai Centrella-Davion said quietly

“Or they are after another target” Victor suggested

“There is no other movement along the Falcon lines” McKinnon reported

“Maybe she he no intention on capturing Donegal” Victor said quietly “maybe this is just Coventry a big public attack intended on taking attention away from a weak Falcon Touman?”  He said thinking out aloud.  “Colonel, continue please” he said looking at McKinnon.

“Yes, sire, it appears that the attack on the Second Royal Guards was intended on inflicting as much damage as possible to the RCT.  The Falcon BattleMechs carried inferno rounds for their short range missile launchers and almost exclusively cluster rounds for their autocannons when they handed they concentrated on the House Steiner armoured vehicles, infantry and battle armour forces.  Fortunately for the Lyrans several of their units were outfitted with vehicle fire extinguishers which reduced the damage done by the fire” he said as the display screen showed a demonstration vehicle firing its fire extinguishers when struck by fire the vehicle was still damaged but survived the attack.  “Unfortunately their infantry was not as fortunate.”  He said neither McKinnon nor the displays needed to show the effect inferno explosions would have had on the conventional and battle armoured infantry.  “The Royal Guards were able to destroy approximately two clusters worth of forces of the Falcons but have been severely weakened…”

“What a waste of resources…” Leroux noted looking at the data they had on what had happened on Donegal so far.  “I apologise Lord Davion” he said “I did not mean to interrupt.”

“Nonesense, Admiral, you background was a contributing factor to you gaining this post” he said Kristos Leroux looked at him with a strange look.  “You had the skills and temperment to command a WarShip of the Federated Suns Navy but your unique heritage only added to the argument that allowed you to gain the command of this vessel.  Admiral Leroux your opinion is always welcome especially on Clan matters.”

“I understand” he said “these warriors represented the next generation of Jade Falcons to throw them into combat without completing their training or their final trials is a waste it is exactly what the Clans strive to avoid.”

“Yet history repeats itself they did this at Coventry and now here” Danai said “you’re not the only one reviving old habits.”  She said turning to her husband.

-------------------

Across the light years on Incukalns Khan Jana Pryde read the report from Donegal and beyond.  “Two clusters essentially lost in battle both Jade Arrow and Emerald Talon are damaged and the Flygia escaped?”  She said looking at Loremaster Taman Malthus

“Aff, Khan Pryde, the ship's crew was able to force off our boarding teams and jump to Coventry.  We believe Flygia will be crippled for years to come.”

“Do you think they have a chance?”  She asked indicating back to the Warriors on Donegal.

“Our forces can overwhelm the defences on Donegal” the Loremaster said “and if they fail our WarShips can sterilize the surface” he said smiling she wasn’t completely convinced that he was not serious.

“That will not accomplish the goals we need to accomplish” Pryde said “Donegal needs to serve a purpose, and not be wasteful to our Clan.  Is our next stage ready?”

“They await you Khan Pryde”
« Last Edit: 24 October 2017, 16:44:30 by Dragon Cat »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2017, 01:55:40 »
Are the Falcons doing another Incukalns?  Draw attention and hostile forces in to a place they can't really afford to loose (Donnegal in this case) before launching a Hail Mary assault on another target?  Tharkad's probably too tough a target though, Coventry is a huge target but again, the Falcons face an uphill battle.  In the build up to the assault on Ark Royal the mincing machine of Incukalns was used to so badly damage the Lyran military that they were incapable of helping at Ark Royal, but at the cost of gutting about 50% of the Falcons Tourman.  Now the Falcons just don't have the numbers to do that, even by activating Eyrie Clusters (which is abhorent but fits with the Falcons now).

My initial thought here though is that this is a spoiling attack.  The 2nd Royal Guards has lost probably most of its infantry support and has no doubt taken casualties with its armoured forces (Call it 75% - 50/65% for infantry/armour losses respectively) and this reduces the RCT mostly to its Mech components, and really you need combined arms to take on the Clans.  If this was the plan then its worked. The RCT is basically out of action and with 1 WarShip down and another crippled, and if the cost was a few Clusters of MechWarriors, in all honesty, thats a good trade.

But what are they planning...The turkeys have their eyes fixed on a target, just what one?

Great update Dragon Cat :)   Although we still need to find out just why the Falcons had such a hard on for Incukalns.  Sure there's an abandoned SLDF facility there that may be an abandoned and stripped Castle Brian but that seems like a small prize.  Or is there something else there, or was it just used to be a mincing machine for the LAAF, serving as a Battle of Verdun analogue.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2017, 02:09:40 by marauder648 »

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 25 October 2017, 16:39:01 »
50 cbills the REAL target are the icy plains of tharkad

an hour later: come to think of it... did i state the obvious???  :o :o :o O:-)
« Last Edit: 25 October 2017, 17:45:36 by GermanSumo »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 26 October 2017, 07:14:10 »
Briefing Room, FSDS Davion’s Heart (Conquistador-class DropShip)
Pirate Point, Donegal
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
16th December 3110

Twenty-one days in the Furillo had seemed like an eternity but once the jump drives on the three WarShips had been primed they were ready to jump directly to Donegal with Victor commanding that they avoid wasting more time with a visit to Tharkad.  Unlike many systems Donegal had been extensively mapped and so they could enter the system at any of the pirate points closer to the planet’s surface.  At 0600 the FSS Black Prince, FSS Lucian Davion II and FSS Adam Davion entered the system deploying their DropShips an hour after the arrival of the WarShips the JumpShips carrying the First Royal Regimental Brigade’s DropShips along with Commanding-General Victor Focht entered the system.  Under acceleration Prince Victor Steiner-Davion walked into the briefing room of his Conquistador-class DropShip and saw Colonel Canin McKinnon standing at the display “what’s the status in system Colonel?”

“It’s very strange sir the Lyrans have been able to contain the Jade Falcons with their numbers reduced to two active Clusters but it was at a great cost.”  He said showing the display the Fifteenth Lyran Guards RCT had been virtually destroyed its numbers folded into into the Second Royal Guards RCT to keep the unit operational.  “It appears we may have come all this way for nothing.”

“There’s still the two WarShips” Victor point out not that he wanted to take his ground forces against them.

“What was the point to this attack?  They come here kill hundreds of troops and lose as many of their own but they don’t reinforce their position.”  McKinnon asked looking at the screens it didn’t make sense.

“Blooding new troops eliminating the old blood?”  Victor said thinking of the Falcon tactics when they attacked Coventry which was similar to this current strategy.  “Old habits” he muttered thinking back to that conflict the fighting for Coventry could have gone so wrong “It’s a brutal tactic even for the Falcons…” he said as the display updated it showed several DropShips leaving Donegal’s surface. “Now what?” Victor wondered watching as the DropShips boosted to join the nearby Falcon WarShips.  The door to the briefing room opened again showing a young Leftenant who handed Colonel McKinnon a piece of paper.

“Oh my god…” McKinnon said looking at the Prince “sire, the Falcons have entered the Odessa system.”

---------------

“I am Khan Jana Pryde of Clan Jade Falcon, I claim Odessa and Gabriel for Clan Jade Falcon.”  Jana Pryde said from the command deck of the Mississippi-class Turkina’s Might as the Battleships weapons tore into the LCS Typhoon from the other side of the Typhoon the Patriot-class Ironhold Remembered also attacked the Battle-cruiser.  “All ground forces head to the planet.  Space assault forces head for the Ruins and seize the facility along with the ships there.”  She commanded broadcasting the message to the two WarShips and their DropShips.

---------------

“HOW COULD WE HAVE MISSED THIS?”  Victor nearly screamed in anger as his body fought against the increased gravity forces as the DropShips continued to accelerate towards the jump point.  Since the Falcons had abandoned Donegal and were now burning towards them Victor had ordered their combined forces to reverse course heading for the zenith jump point “the Jade Falcons must have been massing for this strike.”

“Lyran Intelligence believed that these were reinforcements for Donegal” Victor Focht’s hologram replied.

“What about our own intelligence?”

“There were clearly failings in…”

“FAILINGS!”  Victor shouted interrupting the man instantly seeing the abashed look on the younger man’s face.  “With respect Commanding-General you command the SLDF and that includes regular army, special operations, naval forces and intelligence the buck stops with you.”  He said calming down as he spoke seeing Focht taking in the criticism Victor had been slightly harsh but this situation was not what they needed.  “Now we need to make a contingency plan” he said “we have a seven-day lead on the Falcons we need to communicate with Tharkad and have them direct their reinforcements to Odessa.”

“We could jump out at the pirate point the JumpShips could return.”  Focht suggested

“Negative” Victor said cutting the younger man off again “to do that we would need to begin deceleration now that would allow the Falcons to overrun us while we charged our drives.  If we run to the Jump point, then they also need to slow down giving us time to recharge our engines and escape.  We do not need to fight over this system we need to pick our battles wisely.”  He said feeling like he was giving Focht a lecture suppressing a smile thinking of all the times that his father Anastasius had lectured him during the Clan War.  “Direct Wasp to Odessa as well, we are going to break the Falcons there.”

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 26 October 2017, 12:39:33 »
Oooooh!! Odessa! I almost forgot about that system for some reason! 

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 26 October 2017, 19:26:27 »
ohhh can not wait for more....!!!!!

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #21 on: 26 October 2017, 21:40:30 »
Odessa has not come up in forever, wow, is there anything even there anymore? I could of sworn that the facility was striped according to a much earlyer time in AU with thanks part 1. :/

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 26 October 2017, 22:41:03 »
The ruins of Gabriel were used as a naval depot for Clan Mountain Wolf up until sometime around the time of their displacement, iirc.

I think it would make a good repair/refit facility in the short term and, if possible, turned into another small shipyard for the Falcons.

I also feel like I've read some small mention of it from somewhere in the last couple years of the timeline, but I feel like it might have appeared to be a throw-away comment.

Good twist, not what I was expecting (probably because I forgot about Odessa too  :-[).

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 27 October 2017, 02:01:52 »
Nice one DC. O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 28 October 2017, 02:57:00 »
Victor Davion’s quarters, FSDS Davion’s Heart
Pirate Point, Donegal
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
23rd December 3110

In the week that it took Victor Steiner-Davion to make it to the jump point the two Jade Falcon WarShips had significantly closed on the Inner Sphere formation to the point that it would be close for them to escape without a conflict.  The door for Victor’s quarters rang as Victor heard alarms through the ship signalling that the Black Prince was planning to use its transit drive.  Victor made his way to the door to find Admiral Kristos Leroux standing waiting for him “Admiral?”

“Sire, the Falcons have increased their speed and will be here before we are able to jump.  We must delay them.”

“The Falcons will not be able to stop in time for the jump point.”  Victor said thinking through the actions of the Clan.

“No, they will not” Leroux agreed “sire, the DropShips carrying the McKinnon’s Raiders and the Wild Geese are being prepared to detach from their collars and await JumpShip retrieval.”

“What?” Victor demanded he did not like the sound of what Leroux was saying.

“It is an old tradition, sire, the WarShip remains behind to cover the retreat.  Black Prince has the capabilities to hold off those ships.”

“Not alone!”  Victor snapped he didn’t like the plan at all “no, Admiral, I will not allow you to sacrifice this Battleship and her crew so far from home, you may be able to damage those ships but they will surely destroy the Black Prince.”  He said pausing thinking things through; there was only one other option. “Now with the Adam Davion and Lucian Davion in support you would have more chance of survival correct?”  Leroux nodded “then I release both to support your operations.”

“Sire, you cannot go to Odessa without WarShip support”

“I will not be the Wasp and her support will be on the border within a few days.  I am not rushing into another Falcon trick.”  He said looking back into the room at his wife “give them hell Admiral.”

---------------

The next day JumpShips began to escape the system carrying the Federated Suns and SLDF ground forces clear of the system.  On board one of the Lyran Commonwealth Monolith-class JumpShips, which had been sent to collect them, Victor Steiner-Davion stood like a statue watching the holotank as the WarShip icons closed to engagement range.

“Herr Steiner-Davion, we must leave this system” the ship’s master said approaching from the side.  He was young perhaps in his early thirties his tone was polite but lacked the respect due someone of Victor’s Steiner heritage.  Given his history with the Lyran Commonwealth Victor would not hold it against him.

“Negative Kaptin Kerner, those are my people out there I will do them the justice of seeing them engage in our defence.”  He said he saw the young man’s reaction to his words.  “I am sorry Kaptin Kerner while I grew up in this nation and served on many of its worlds I gave up the right to call your people my own a long time ago.”  He said looking back at the screens “the men and women on board those ships grew up when I was First Prince I am connected to them and will be until my last breath.”

“Yes, sire” Kerner said changing his tone towards Victor “the past is the past and it cannot be changed even if that is what we desired.”

“One thing humanity has not conquered” he said as the icons continued to close “time.”

---------------

“We will take them down the port side” Leroux said from his command chair watching the screens “have the Adam remain in our wake they are to follow on our hits that will allow them to hit harder for their size.”  He said “Lucian is to manoeuvre as they see fit and continue the barrage of missiles.  We need to tax their heat dispensation systems.”  He said as the first extreme range shots were exchanged mostly capital missiles but also some laser hits from both sides Leroux watched as the smallest of his ships the Adam Davion slid behind the Black Prince while the Lucian Davion II accelerated ahead, the Avalon II had the armour to take a couple of hits before having its combat capabilities degraded.

Ahead of the Federated Suns WarShips the two Jade Falcon vessels also manoeuvred with the smaller Nightlord-class Battleship moving ahead of the larger Mississippi-class the two ships moving to maintain their lock on the Lucian Davion II.  “All hands get ready for some chop” Leroux warned “communications make sure our C3 net is up, assault DropShips and aerospace fighters hold position and get ready.”  He said as another barrage was exchanged between the two sides this time the Black Prince’s heavy naval gauss rifles and forward particle cannons were added to the mix of fire from the Federated Suns WarShips.  There was a reason that the Mercury-class was feared and now it was displayed as its weapons guided by the sensor data of the Lucian Davion ripped across the front of the Nightlord causing heavy damage even as the WarShip’s own weapons and those of the Mississippi behind opened fire on the Lucian Davion, the Jade Falcons had done the same as the Federated Suns vessels and concentrated on one vessel.  As capital missiles from the Lucian Davion and Adam Davion joined the Black Prince’s fire the return fire from the two Battleships blew through the Lucian Davion’s port side breaching the Avalon’s armour.

“Lucian’s hull has been breached!  Crew reports emergency bulkheads have closed, no news on casualties.”

“Have her break formation turn to starboard and clear the path we will take the hits.”  Leroux commanded the concentrated fire from the two Battleships had been too much for the Cruiser. “Message to Adam Davion they need to cover Lucian’s damaged arc both ships are to continue missile bombardment of Nightord.”  He said a moment later the Avalon II slipped out of formation even as the Mississippi fired on her again hitting the vessel’s port side again this time causing heavy damage midway along the vessel’s hull as the ship tried to clear the area the Congress II Adam Davion accelerating to join the wounded ship.  “Status on the Nightlord?”

“Operational but no longer firing, possible fire control damage.”  The sensor officer reported together the two Battleships would rip open the Black Prince, if the missiles from the Black Prince’s support ships had weakened them enough to take them out of the fight they might have a chance.

“Let’s make them pay for that damage concentrate our fire on the Nightlord, defensive measures against the Mississippi, release all aerospace squadrons to strike missions on the Mississippi.”  He commanded the Air Boss who looked surprised “we can take a couple of strafing runs if the Falcons are brave enough.”  He said around the Black Prince aerospace fighters accelerated towards the mighty Jade Falcon Battleship as the Mercury’s guns continued to pound the Nightlord into scrap.  The display was a very clear message to the Jade Falcons and anyone else who may be watching to compete against a vessel like the Mercury you needed to spend as much time on defences as on firepower.  The Battleship’s fire seemed to intensify as it closed on the Nightlord which rotated as it closed on the Black Prince turning onto it’s back as the Black Prince’s fire continued to damage the vessel hatches on the underside of the ship opened releasing its cargo of Elementals and ProtoMechs to attack the Mercury even as the other Jade Falcon Battleship continued to pound the Federated Suns capital vessel.

“All crew prepare to repel boarders.”  Leroux transmitted throughout the ship “point defence, thin them out.”  He ordered moments later seeing that the vessel’s conventional autocannons and lasers were already acting cutting down several of the incoming Falcons.  “Weapon control main guns on the Mississippi make them count.”  He commanded as the second Jade Falcon WarShip came into view “Adam and Lucian to continue to fall back we’ve delayed them enough both vessels are to continue to trade fire with the Nightlord.”  He said as the damaged Nightlord regained some weapon control and engaged the Adam Davion ripping the smaller Congress II almost in half as the Nightlord’s weapons tore through the armour and into the ship’s superstructure Leroux was surprised to see the Congress return fire on the larger ship despite the damage it had taken.  “Stavag” Leroux cursed watching the battle unfold as much as he concentrated on the second Battleship.  Between them the two ships had enough capital missiles, autocannons and lasers to stop the damaged Nightlord but the bigger ship could break either of them with the weapons it had left.

“BOARDERS ON HULL, BOARDERS ON HULL, BOARDERS ON HULL.”  The automated warning system activated as sensors detected battle armour and ProtoMechs landing on the hull.

“SHUT THAT DAMNED THING OFF!”  Leroux shouted as more fire from the Mississippi slammed into the Black Prince.  “Helm maintain course and rotate the hull to starboard, full rotation, weapons control pass to all stations prepare for immediate rotation!  Air Boss, our fighters need to do more against that damned Battleship I want her hull breached!”  He commanded as the massive Mercury-class Battleship began to roll along its axis the ship’s weapons targeting the Mississippi as the ship turned.  The sudden movement of the Black Prince had the same effect as a BattleMech dropping to its knees when boarded by Elementals during combat the rapid movement making some of the Elementals and ProtoMechs lose their footing on the hull falling into space.

As the Mercury rotated in space the Mississippi slid past the ship while continuing to be buzzed by aerospace fighters.  “Sir, aerospace squadron commanders reporting they are approaching bingo fuel, the Mississippi is moving out of their engagement ranges.”

“Recall fighters.  Helm end rotation, bring us about and begin deceleration.  Forward weapons continue to engage primary target.”  He said looking at the holotank seeing that Lord Victor Steiner-Davion’s Monolith still remained in system.  “Communications send message to the First Prince” he said smiling as he used Victor’s old title, the one so many members of the crew still used to describe him. “Inform him we did what we could and will continue to engage but he needs to leave now” he commanded.

In space the FSS Black Prince turned in space flipping end over end its main engines engaging nearly as soon as the rotation was complete beginning to counter the ship’s momentum as aerospace fighters retreated to their mothership.  The Black Prince’s forward weapons continued to target the Mississippi as it began its own rotation to decelerate before the jump point the Battleship’s guns were not on the Black Prince however instead the Jade Falcon vessel targeted and finished off the Adam Davion which had struggled to retreat any further since the Nightlord opened fire on the vessel.  “Have Lucian cease fire and take survivors from Adam” Leroux said watching as the Lucian Davion continued to engage the two Jade Falcon Battleships causing yet more damage to both with their forward capital missile batteries it took a lot to destroy a Battleship.  At the jump point the Monolith which carried Victor Steiner-Davion finally left the system.  “Broadcast to all Falcon troops on board it is time for them to surrender this battle is over.”

The Elementals and ProtoMechs which had boarded the Black Prince continued to fight on for several hours after Kristos Leroux’s command with each of them agreeing to turn over their weapons and become bondsmen to the Federated Suns.  As a further blow to the Jade Falcons two days later on the Christmas Day the Nightlord-class Battleship Emerald Talon attempted to jump from the system only for its KF Drive to fail and shut down stranding the vessel in the Donegal system.  With the FSS Black Prince and FSS Lucian Davion II closing on the vessel and the Mississippi already jumping away and the vessel facing insurmountable odds the crew of the Nightlord had no choice but to surrender to Lyran authorities.  As Isorla from the battle the Federated Suns WarShips claimed all of the Emerald Talon’s remaining aerospace fighters and an Ordun-class DropShip filled with salvaged parts taken from the battlefields of Donegal several members of the Emerald Talon’s crew and aerospace pilots demanded to be taken as bondsmen to the Federated Suns as it was the AFFS and not the Lyrans who had defeated them in battle.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2017, 03:02:36 by Dragon Cat »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 28 October 2017, 03:34:54 »
Ouch, one Nightlord down along with up to a full galaxy's worth of Elementals and any troops from Donnegal too.  I don't know if the Talon will be salvagable, and the Missiispsiossisispisisiei is beaten up quite badly but not enough that she couldn't get away.  Thats a good trade for one frigate, and the Black Prince is damaged but not too severely.  This leaves what, 2 Falcon BB's at Odessa and significant forces en-route to engage the Falcon forces in system.  A Potemkin can take on anything pretty much shy of a McKenna although its not something you'd want to risk either as they are pretty much irreplacable.

Great update Dragoncat!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 28 October 2017, 09:17:48 »
Victor watching his troops pay the price.   :'(

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 28 October 2017, 09:41:03 »
Victor watching his troops pay the price.   :'(

Such is the fate of any commander who leads his or her forces into battle, they have to make the hard decisions that can get those who follow them killed.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 28 October 2017, 18:38:00 »
All generals watch their troops that's what happens in battles.
Loss of a Nightlord, ouch that would hurt the Falcons.
I wonder if the Lyran's will rename it the Dodo in honor of the Falcon's. }:)
Growing up is optional.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 28 October 2017, 20:27:10 »
I just wonder what fixed defenses were put near the yard.  it was in a rock, that could make things hard on any approaching ships.  a light mass driver, and a few NACs, and old stuff that was not needed could have been put in a turrets.  just run power to them.  they could not take that much damage, but they could be a big surprise.  The I don't see the Mountain wolfs not doing something like that, out of fear of losing it to not only another clan but an IS power also. 

Register