Author Topic: Found a copy of The Sword and the Dagger  (Read 4322 times)

dmzline

• Corporal
Found a copy of The Sword and the Dagger
« on: 05 June 2011, 15:17:00 »
I went in a local used bookstore last week and lo and behold, they had a copy (in awesome condition too!) of The Sword and the Dagger.  My out the door price was $1.50 + tax, so tough to beat.  There are definitely some points that were headscratchers as far as "that definitely isn't canon in how it works" but overall it seemed like a good b-tech novel.  My only complaint is about later writers using the doppelganger idea over and over again, but maybe that is just a trope of the universe.

bytor

• Lieutenant
Re: Found a copy of The Sword and the Dagger
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2011, 22:00:47 »
Yeah, it's not a bad novel.  Not stellar, but it fills in some blanks.  Yeah, a couple of head scratchers for sure. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2011, 22:10:51 »
way cool,

once I started looking for it, it took me almost 3 years to find it

now I see them at least once a year
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sgtops54

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2011, 19:06:47 »
Found my copy in a game store/used book store in Fort Walton Beach while on vacation. Got it for $2.95. It is like winning the lotto!

Midnightsun

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2011, 22:37:12 »
I finally found a copy on Ebay after looking for one for years.  Of course it was obscenely expensive, but I just couldn't resist finally having a complete collection of the published Battletech novels....

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2011, 15:21:13 »
This is the one that covers Maximillian Liao's attempt to replace Hanse Davion with a double, and Ardan Sortek thwarting that attempt, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also the first full length Battletech novel published, right?

How was it?
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2011, 15:36:28 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also the first full length Battletech novel published, right?

Second.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2011, 18:13:32 »
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2011, 18:37:55 »
What was the first?

Decision at Thunder Rift.

How was it?

I found it just awful. Keep in mind that this is the same author who wrecked H. Beam Piper's Fuzzies, completely ruining the point of his original story.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2011, 22:28:25 »
true but his fuzzy book came out before theyn found the manuscript for Beam's second book IIRC
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Register