Author Topic: Desperately need a new edition of MWRPG: AToW is a weak link.  (Read 41959 times)

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
To put this in perspective, I've been running a campaign for nearly two years that began with A Time Of War as the MWRPG edition in question.  To put a long story short after all of that time, not one person warmed to the system despite loving the BattleTech universe, and half the time I ended up digging around in 3rd Edition for rulings.  In fact, I have a LOT of issues with A Time Of War:  In my honest opinion it was written during the weakest point in the fiction (there was a massive quality drop around Dark Ages where everything had massive guns and ridiculous rules); the new materials being put out by Catalyst, by comparison, are awesome and some of the new books really hold up and feel at home with the universe's original content.

My big issues with A Time Of War I really feel like need to be addressed in a 5th Edition, very badly:

- The Artwork:  This might sound like a nitpick, but A Time Of War, in general, has the worst artwork of any BattleTech book - even the most 80s of 80s ones.  From the cover model featuring three vacant eyed poser models and an elemental that seems to be getting into a tickle fight (I know it's supposed to be a repair) in the corner, to the default MechWarrior woman looking as if an evil killer doll got into a cooling vest, it's just bad.  Again, the new book art is awesome, and in fact, I might say it's some of the nicest looking stuff in the universe but cover-to-cover this if highly off-putting to just about everyone.

- Insane complexity on things that don't matter, missing rules on things that do:  This one is a bit hard to get into, but it's a problem that persists throughout the book.  It gets incredibly detailed with things which is nice (and I do appreciate detail), but it becomes massively obsessed with little details that, in practice, just aren't tracked; while ignoring things that are really important.  For example tracking your weight down to your underwear and power levels on a "Every electronic item uses 0.1 power per X minutes/hours" list, in practice, is hell - in particular when you're needing to time fade for months.  More on the rules in a second (esp. compared to earlier editions).  Meanwhile, major things that are useful to a campaign:  Information on how to load a dropship and calculate what can be on there, about travel times around the InnerSphere or things like jump chains or charge stations, etc. are utterly missing from the game.

In order to GM a game of BattleTech you effectively need to dig up books that have been out of print or are lesser known for years, download a bunch of homebrew tools that use obscure rules that it takes months to track down (like MekHQ), and make up a massive number of new rules; which seems insane when you consider how much detail AtoW put into the tiny details.  It really feels like a "forest through the trees" situation.

- Along the same token, some surprisingly simple stuff was left out.  Want to know how much a replacement arm, gyro, or internal structure weighs for packing a dropship for a campaign?  We did too, and in the end, we had to manually break all these weights down and put them on our own spreadsheet.  Given this book has no issue with plenty of numbers, it seems outright strange that this stuff is missing.  I am 100% positive we can't have run the only campaign to ever involve a dropship before.

- Nothing is written in a linear fashion and everything is more complicated than it needs to be.  Nearly every action in AToW spirals into rapid insanity when you begin to try to read through A Time Of War:  If you want to look up something simple like how BARs compare, basic combat rules, injuries, etc. you are jumping down a rabbit hole which will alternate between giving you massive amount of information dumps yet, at the same time, not referencing the page # where to find vital parts of the rule.  So effectively it will begin abruptly discussing something as if you know what all of the related rolls and systems it is talking about are with no real indicator of where to find the source information.  This gets amplified when there are precious, precious few rolls in the game that don't require you to break out a calculator and pull of math formulas; of our players only one ever dared deal with downtime training as written in AToW because the rules for it are so ridiculous.  Every new RPG system is about streamlining and while I love the BattleTech universe's complexity, this is just too far in the other extreme.  It is almost impossible to know a roll by heart and even after this long, every action needs a chain of looking up page after page after page.  In many cases it feels like they added tons of new rules and calculations to things from 3rd Edition that don't, in the end, actually add anything of value.  This is absolutely constant throughout the book; it feels like rules that should be simple end up taking a full page or two (where most systems can sum them up in a paragraph), and in the end, the result could have been accomplished in any number of simple ways without changing the outcome much at all.

- Without the use of fan sites and 3rd parties would render it impossible for me to ever find all the resource materials that I need to do various things; it took me -3- books to figure out how a Killer Whale-T worked with a nuclear warhead, with not even a place to start in AtoW.

- Skill inflation in the AToW system is insane.  If you have characters that survive for a few years they will effectively be rolling a +6 to a +8 at all their major skills, which makes the game a non-stop I-Win Button unless you decide to counter with everything requiring a number of successes; there's just no margin for failure at this point unless you snake eye, at which point, Edge can instantly swoop in and replace the whole roll.  (Edge is fine, just not when the margin of failure can rapidly fall to a tiny %).  God help you if your players took 7 Int and are going through the massively overly-complicated downtime training system.

- AtoW remains a pain to convert to BattleTech.  I realize the need to break from the Btech roll mechanics in 2nd Edition, but there is very little in the way of converting the RPG to the Table Top game.  In fact, this is what I mean by the earlier forest through the trees line:  The game wants you to track the kg weight of your undershirt and exactly how much power per minute you are using and a basic damage roll looks like a math quiz, but then when it comes to "How does X time or action convert to table top?" the answer the book literally gives (paraphrasing) is "Eh yeah it takes 3 minutes to get into a 'mech but on board it takes 10 seconds and uh, yeah, roll with that."  This positively extends to the rolls as well, but it really sums up the massive disconnect between TT and board game.  This really has caused confusion over Power Armor, as well, which scales it's damage wildly based on which game it's in.  They don't feel integrated at all at in AToW; this is something that was less of a problem in 3rd Edition, notably. 

- Finally, and this is a big one, A Time of War makes the BattleTech universe almost entirely impossible to get a handle on for new players.  There's so much being thrown at them, yet, there lacks any kind of comprehensive "X books for X faction, Y books for rules on <category>" list at the end.  Again, this means to pull together very simple rules or to answer questions brought up in A Time Of War, I've had to once again hit up Sarna and spend hours finding the book I even want to get to answer said question.. and I have about a 20% failure rate at getting said book and finding a single blurb referring me to another book.  It's really bad.  If I wanted to pick this game up and play, say, a CapCon MechWarrior in 3061 without something like Sarna I would not have the slightest clue where to start.  By that same token I think a few pages in these books needs to be dedicated to a broad-strokes BattleTech timeline; another thing you need to use 3rd party sites and reference material to track down.  It makes the game a nightmare for a new player and limits it's scope entirely to people who are already very versed in BattleTech lore, only.

--- What I really want for 3rd Edition:

* A book that looks as nice as the current BattleTech standards
* Rules with multiple tiers of detail (akin to the Btech Tech1/3 rules) that are either in the same location or references each term clearly to a page #
* A tier of rule that keeps rolls fairly simple (I can think of very, very few other RPG systems that use as much multiplication and division per roll as AToW; none still in print)
* Inclusion of rules for transport
* A clearer indication of introduction year:  Again, I need to consult 3rd party resources like Sarna for each item; not every campaign is set in the same era and this adds incredible confusion.
* Better compatibility with BattleTech in general
* A nice clean index of timeline information and rules-per-book

--

In the end, we ended up converting the entire RPG aspect of our campaign recently to White Wolf's Storytelling because every single player wanted to set fire to A Time Of War after spending some time with it.  I took over GM'ing a month into the campaign, or I would have almost certainly begun with MW 3rd Edition that, while it suffers some balance issues, seems to follow a "This section covers X, everything you need to know about X is in this section" rule that AToW just doesn't; it doesn't feel as if you're staring into the mouth of madness like you do in 4th.

Changing systems has already had a marked improvement on the game, in particular with margin of success/failure for higher level characters; and the thing is, I think that's a shame.  (I almost converted it to GURPS for a similar reason).  AToW is already so utterly disconnected from BattleTech beyond the skill and equipment lists - the best part of the book (though not a single person I've met enjoys the way the Ratings work, and even once I've stared at them long enough to understand them, everyone still hates them) easily is the assembled list of gadgets & weapons from the BTU, or the fairly easy to use repair table for mechs/armor/aerospace.

I want to say there's a lot of good stuff buried in AToW, but overall, it might be the most overdue for a revamp RPG system I have encountered to date.  I do want to stress this isn't me wanting the game "dumbed down" by any means; while other systems are less concerned with the massive level of detail AtoW rolls go into, in the end, they cover a wider range of actions and end up offering more tactical choices that actually matter, and the players can focus on those choices rather than spending that time digging through a book and making a dozen minute power changes to their sheet.  This is also why I am strongly in favor of the T1/2/3 rule concept being brought to MechWarrior, to allow people to decide for themselves what level of complexity they want to go into on rolls for any specific sub-section.

In fact my advice to anyone reading this is if you plan to play a MW RPG, either start with 3rd Edition or begin ground up with another game and use AToW purely as an equipment list and repair time table.  That is really unfortunate.  I would absolutely love Catalyst to take another crack at doing this right.  It's such a backbone book to have so broken and unappealing.

PS:  I do want to applaud Cataylst for allowing 3rd party resources and programs like Megamek(lab) and MekHQ to exist, because without them, I'd been unable to piece together even a fraction of what we have.  That said I think a lot of that stuff should be in the main book, because it is very odd having to pull all of these resources in to find simple answers or to figure out what a gyro weighs on a specific 'mech.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2015, 16:36:21 by VictorMorson »

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Desperately need a new edition of MWRPG: AToW is a weak link.
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2015, 18:39:09 »
Part of the issue (or atleast part of the issue with one of your issues) I think is the number of products that Battletech has, and all the rules. Trying to find everything is a chore at times. Theoretically having Interstellar Operations out would atleast mean you should be able to find all the rules in the "Core" products (TW, TM, TO, SO, IO, ATOW, AS, and potentially ASC and ATOWC..man, that list is long). Unfortunately, due to issues, CGL hasn't been able to get those products out as quickly as possible, so for a 2 year old game, you're stuck flipping through stacks of books to look for old rules, or where the rules might have been published the most recently.

Part of the problem is size and scope of the book. While you may want atomic rules (or a reference to them), other people might not even touch those, so the information would just take up valuable space and prevent information that they may want in the book. So its a balancing act. Again, I think If all the core products were out, that might be helpful (and an index..man, an index across the books would be nice, hey, they did it for SR4 Anniversary!).

Unfortunately, the complexity and scope of the universe is always going to cause this issue I think.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2015, 18:56:29 »
A Time of War is part of a line of rulebooks, not a standalone volume. Most of your issues are answered in other core rulebooks, and so are not repeated in AToW. I'd suggest using your imagination where things aren't spelled out or are only found in sources you don't own; you know, the point of playing RPGs.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2015, 19:42:02 »
A Time of War is part of a line of rulebooks, not a standalone volume. Most of your issues are answered in other core rulebooks, and so are not repeated in AToW. I'd suggest using your imagination where things aren't spelled out or are only found in sources you don't own; you know, the point of playing RPGs.

The problem is the rules that are there are presented in a format that is almost insanity; simple things like resolving damage take up /pages/ of the book and ultimately the same effect could be achieved fairly easy in other ways.

That said, the point of having other rulebooks is to have more established canonical rules; the big thing is I would like to be pointed to "If you want the rules for X, see Y book."

Really it feels really poorly optimized and organized, far worse than previous editions of MechWarrior.  It's been a long time since 4th Edition, it really seems like a 5th edition is at this point overdue.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2015, 21:33:50 »
In the end, we ended up converting the entire RPG aspect of our campaign recently to White Wolf's Storytelling because every single player wanted to set fire to A Time Of War after spending some time with it.

I've considered using Fate/Fudge to run a Battletech campaign, but really loved the White Wolf Storytelling system back when I ran Hunter: the Reckoning. Which version of the storytelling system are you using?
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2015, 05:23:37 »
We opted for Storytelling.  White Wolf sadly died mostly because of CCP's incompetence (google it if you're curious) and not making bad games, I'll give them that.  It's radically different than Storyteller, and we chose the Base 7 system used in their sci-fi game (I converted over all the items and rolls necessary from AtoW).  Basically you roll D10s and 7 is always the difficulty, with dice adding or subtracting based on your described action.

It's really simple and with the exception of a handful of tech rolls or a couple of advanced ticks like 9 again, you can pick the whole thing up in about two sessions and almost never need the book after that.  The combat system is a bit macro; it adds everything (chance to hit, armor, evading, damage done, etc) into a single roll with some simple guideline modifiers.

The irony about it is while the system is far simpler, combat is actually way more action oriented and played out more realistically with cover being the first thing on the player's minds, and lots of exchanged burst shots for little effect (resulting in an great uses of grenades and smoke grenades and such); so while it's a far more simple system, ironically it's resulted in far more realistic fighting.

All in all the game ported pretty well; our high-dice characters actually have failed a couple times now, which is something we haven't seen in months; yet they've also had wild successes, so there's much higher highs, and lower lows, in the gameplay (in a good way) thus far.  Was totally worth the converting weapon ratings and such.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2015, 13:00:36 »
What version of the WoD 'storytelling' system are you referring to specifically? The New WoD? Exalted? The sci-fi game that was supposed to be named 'Aeon' but they renamed it to something that I can't remember off the top of my head due to a possible conflict with Peter Chung's "Aeon Flux"?
=======================

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2015, 13:28:06 »
The sci-fi game that was supposed to be named 'Aeon' but they renamed it to something that I can't remember off the top of my head due to a possible conflict with Peter Chung's "Aeon Flux"?

Trinity.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2015, 14:13:40 »
Trinity.

Yep, that was it. Thanks man! That was really bugging me.  O0
=======================

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2015, 16:09:27 »
I kind of have to chime in here to agree with the OP.  I went and got AToW and the Companion purely for the lists of stuff and setting details.  If I run a BTU campaign I generally have brought out my old Cyberpunk 2020 books or used GURPS for the RPG level stuff.  His assessment is spot on, the biggest problem with the AToW book is poor editing leading to confusion and needless complexity creep while important things are left out without even a reference to where to find them in other products.  Simply as a piece of publishing without considering how you like it the formatting and editing are just not good.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Panthros

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2015, 21:17:55 »
And the problem IMHO is people close to AToW think everything is ok even though new people continue to discuss its significant shortcomings.  People get way to defensive when people are talking about AToW and the improvements needed.  A RPG in the BattleTech universe is in for a rewrite.  I think Catalyst should partner with someone who has the RPG rules already figured out and then ultimately what Catalyst releases are source books and campaign modules for the different eras.  Or... they could use the rules they already have, oh I don't know, Shadowrun?.  It would be interesting to see the Shadowrun rules in the BattleTech Universe.

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2015, 05:48:05 »
And the problem IMHO is people close to AToW think everything is ok even though new people continue to discuss its significant shortcomings.  People get way to defensive when people are talking about AToW and the improvements needed.  A RPG in the BattleTech universe is in for a rewrite.  I think Catalyst should partner with someone who has the RPG rules already figured out and then ultimately what Catalyst releases are source books and campaign modules for the different eras.  Or... they could use the rules they already have, oh I don't know, Shadowrun?.  It would be interesting to see the Shadowrun rules in the BattleTech Universe.

I've noticed that a few times, but after a year with AtoW every player in the game wanted to toss into a shredder, so no more dissenting opinion there.  heh.  That said there's a lot of good stuff in there, and I don't think it's a downside of being inclusive; I think I could keep all of the functionality of the book and free up nearly 50% of the book just by cutting fat for more stuff. 

Given a lot of books have been published AFTER A Time of War, it's all more the reason that a 5th Edition would be really, really welcomed.  I really think AtoW came out at the lowest point for BTech (or close to the lowest), and as mentioned, all the new materials are excellent.  I just want a new MWRPG that holds those standards.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2015, 06:08:54 »
I like ATOW/C, but I agree there's room for streamlining. And maybe there should be expansions for particular game styles, like noble power players.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2015, 14:50:38 »
I like ATOW/C, but I agree there's room for streamlining. And maybe there should be expansions for particular game styles, like noble power players.

Eh. I'm not sure the RPG is the best selling aspect of BT, and a limited scale expansion would probably be even worse selling.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 14 September 2015, 15:27:26 »
Eh. I'm not sure the RPG is the best selling aspect of BT, and a limited scale expansion would probably be even worse selling.
Oh, I don't know. 5$ for a short expansion, each focused on expanding a BT archtype, sounds like a good way to make bank. It'll contain things like adventure threads, guideline to how they are treated among the various factions in BTverse, stuff like that.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2015, 15:29:14 »
Oh, I don't know. 5$ for a short expansion, each focused on expanding a BT archtype, sounds like a good way to make bank. It'll contain things like adventure threads, guideline to how they are treated among the various factions in BTverse, stuff like that.

Honestly, what I'd like to see is a "MechWarrior Missions" campaign of six linked missions per year, much like they do for ShadowRun.  O0
=======================

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2015, 17:47:19 »

The unfortunate part is, if you look at it, it -was- very popular until after 3rd Ed, then it fell off hard.

Part of that is due to Dark Ages and effectively Catalyst inheriting the load-of-crap that was the Jihad, trying to spiral out of that.  But AtoW came around the same time we got glorious things like the infamously bad Protomech art and such.  It just wasn't held to the standards that became before, or came after, and I think that is where 99% of the fault lies with it.

But because of that, I think A Time Of War suffered very badly in all departments; it's largely salvageable but needs some redesigns, and someone to come in with a chainsaw to trim the fat and replace it with useful things.  They need an editor.

To clarify my point, I think A Time Of War is like early Protomechs... part of BattleTech, but despite some great ideas and core concepts, I wish they weren't.

PS:  http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/1/14/Erinyes.jpg vs. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/BeZC67Qr-68/hqdefault.jpg
Speaking of Protomechs I always find it hilarious Mecha Streisand looks more like a BattleTech thing than the Erinyes.  This was a dark few years for BattleTech.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2015, 18:00:40 by VictorMorson »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2015, 18:00:40 »
But AtoW came around the same time we got glorious things like the infamously bad Protomech art and such
Technical Readout 3060 (early Protomechs) came out in 1997 under FASA.  A Time of War came out in 2009, under CGL.  I wouldn't call those around the same time.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2015, 18:03:09 »
Technical Readout 3060 (early Protomechs) came out in 1997 under FASA.  A Time of War came out in 2009, under CGL.  I wouldn't call those around the same time.

Wow, I thought they were later than that.  I retract that comparison!

To be fair, part of why Cataylst inherited some messes is that that /was/ the point FASA's financial troubles meant they had to start not paying the writing staff that was involved in the game so much; I never meant to imply Catalyst was doing a bad job, but they basically had to fix a hot mess.  I think their newest stuff is really great, so they clearly did.

Speaking of which, all the more reason for a 5th Ed, though:  I can't even begin to imagine trying to play this in 3145 given the timeline in AtoW stops many decades before that.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2015, 19:28:11 »
Every electronic item uses 0.1 power per X minutes/hours" list, in practice, is hell - in particular when you're needing to time fade for months.  More on the rules in a second (esp. compared to earlier editions).  Meanwhile, major things that are useful to a campaign:  Information on how to load a dropship and calculate what can be on there, about travel times around the InnerSphere or things like jump chains or charge stations, etc. are utterly missing from the game.

Its an RPG; individual character resource use is important. Dropship limits..are not. They hold whatever the GM needs them to hold for the game.  General descriptions about travel time are there; exact transit chains simply are not important; an RPG's focus is very micro in scale, on the individual level.

In order to GM a game of BattleTech you effectively need to dig up books that have been out of print or are lesser known for years,

Funny. I've GM'd plenty of them. ATOW is about all you really need. Common, easily available sourcebooks help.

download a bunch of homebrew tools that use obscure rules that it takes months to track down (like MekHQ),

MekHQ is not a tool for the RPG.  An RPG is not an extension to a wargame campaign, which is what you seem to be talking about.  Transit times estimates can be ballparked, and no one will care.

- Along the same token, some surprisingly simple stuff was left out.  Want to know how much a replacement arm, gyro, or internal structure weighs for packing a dropship for a campaign?

As a GM of a player sized RPG group, not at all. Those details are not important for a role playing game. Those are logistic problems for a detailed (far too detailed) wargame campaign. If playing a wargame campaign, I've got other logistics system that don't bog down painful soul sucking, boring details of absolutely no relevance to anyone's enjoyment of a game

We did too, and in the end, we had to manually break all these weights down and put them on our own spreadsheet.  Given this book has no issue with plenty of numbers, it seems outright strange that this stuff is missing.

Its missing as tables of dropship storage capacity and endless pages of weights of innumerable items for a scale of play not suitable for the RPG have no place in an RPG rulebook.

This gets amplified when there are precious, precious few rolls in the game that don't require you to break out a calculator and pull of math formulas;

What are these rolls? Playing in game, the average calculation you are making is the margin of success of failure for a target number on a 2d6 roll.

of our players only one ever dared deal with downtime training as written in AToW because the rules for it are so ridiculous. 

They aren't ridiculous. They are pretty straightforward. If they seem unrewarding, its because RPG's are centered around actions and play, not long periods of training.  If it seems too much..then don’t award the points.

materials that I need to do various things; it took me -3- books to figure out how a Killer Whale-T worked with a nuclear warhead, with not even a place to start in AtoW.-

What did you need to know? You make up an appropriate target number if the players are trying to disarm it, or repair one. Its not like you need the damage rules for RPG scale play. Strategic nuclear weapons rules are not naturally located in an RPG.

- AtoW remains a pain to convert to BattleTech.

Ok, they directly convert the dice to match battletech, and target numbers..and its still to hard? At what point do you cease having an RPG and just are playing a slightly more detailed game of normal battletech?

- Finally, and this is a big one, A Time of War makes the BattleTech universe almost entirely impossible to get a handle on for new players.

You pick an era. You get the era sourcebook. That's plenty of information for players to be able to play the game. How does ATOW make the game impossible for new players to understand? Perhaps its your approach to running the game that is doing it..like loading dropships and worrying about nuclear weapon mechanics on a personal character scale.

If I wanted to pick this game up and play, say, a CapCon MechWarrior in 3061 without something like Sarna I would not have the slightest clue where to start.

The appropriate era sourcebooks have RPG modules for affiliations and eras. Print and PDF sourceboosk for the time, including detaisl on conflicts are available. What’s so confusing about it?

In the end, we ended up converting the entire RPG aspect of our campaign recently to White Wolf's Storytelling because every single player wanted to set fire to A Time Of War after spending some time with it. 

Ok..I’m completely at a loss how anyone could consider converting from a system firmly rooted in the same dice mechanics, success numbers, and provided rules for creating characters to a completely alien system (with horrible scaling problems for non superhuman characters) could be easier.  You don't make anything easier. You have to reinvent damage rules, equipment rules, and still look up everything you were complaining about before..unless White Wolf snuck out sourcebooks for Battletech while no one was looking.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2015, 20:29:06 »
The protomech art wasn't bad, as much as it was simply inappropriate for Battletech. I have got to wonder what kind of instruction the artists were given for them... They certainly didn't look like a "bridge" between BA and BMs.

-Snip-
Well he's right about a lot of things.
No needs for stats on nuclear weapons, because in an RPG scale it really just "are you dead?", and really the GM should decide that to itself if the bomb kills them. And really, the demolition skill is there for a reason, no need for stats; just decide if the player has anything remotely resembling the ability to handle nuclear ordnance - if the answer is "no", just roll to see if he manages not to vaporize the city block (if you want, as the GM you don't even have to do that).

There was only one instance where I felt the need to check out the availability of spare battlemech limbs and the skill checks required for their assembly. It was in a minor "AccountingTech" scenario, where the player managed a small custom battlemech shop during the succession wars; it wasn't a very popular scenario.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 14 September 2015, 21:03:20 »
The Era Reports are great RPG sourcebooks.  In addition to the general overview of the era, they have AToW specific rules section.
But there is no way to compress all of the years of BattleTech sourcebooks in to one book.  You use what you have, or what you want from what you have, and the rest is up to you.
I don't need all the dozens (hundreds) of Pathfinder books if I'm just starting Pathfinder.  I just accept that I'm going to use what I have, and not fret the rest.
BattleTech canon is up to you to use as you see fit, not something your game has to use in its entirety.  Even with a fact-checker group, that's a difficult enough job for Catalyst :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2015, 22:52:36 »
Its an RPG; individual character resource use is important. Dropship limits..are not. They hold whatever the GM needs them to hold for the game.  General descriptions about travel time are there; exact transit chains simply are not important; an RPG's focus is very micro in scale, on the individual level.

Except, they are, because this literally is at odds with the way the rest of the book is written; there are hard TNs for every repair, and BattleTech's own resource books have knocked things down to the point where every jump jet or gyro has a slightly different weight.

And yes, this stuff is important on a micro scale.  If you are playing a merc unit that wants to go from the LA to FS, that's a -several month journey-, which can be off-set a number of ways.  I'm not talking "I want per-planet charts!" - not at all.  I am saying that important universe concepts should take precedence over incredibly nuts rules surrounded in walls of texts.  Previous editions of MWRPG were much cleaner.

"In a game that tracks your carry weight down to the kg of your underwear, not a single person will care that transit times aren't even addressed with a single paragraph in a book about running an RPG, where most of your time will be spend on dropships."  That's what this feels like.

Funny. I've GM'd plenty of them. ATOW is about all you really need. Common, easily available sourcebooks help.
MekHQ is not a tool for the RPG.  An RPG is not an extension to a wargame campaign, which is what you seem to be talking about.  Transit times estimates can be ballparked, and no one will care.

I am not sure if peacetime campaigns are all that common in BattleTech.  I'm not even sure if peacetime is all that common in BattleTech.

As a GM of a player sized RPG group, not at all. Those details are not important for a role playing game. Those are logistic problems for a detailed (far too detailed) wargame campaign. If playing a wargame campaign, I've got other logistics system that don't bog down painful soul sucking, boring details of absolutely no relevance to anyone's enjoyment of a game

Some basic lip service of what to expect or some various levels of information would be welcome, but again, largely due to the context of everything else and how down-to-the-inch it's tracked.  It feels like focus that's all put in the wrong places.

Its missing as tables of dropship storage capacity and endless pages of weights of innumerable items for a scale of play not suitable for the RPG have no place in an RPG rulebook.

Except that the books are filled with precisely that; including references to at least basic information on how the universe worse this way.  A lot of rules could be brought down to just a few paragraphs or a page at most to fit more useful stuff (even if it's not that stuff).  Have you even looked at how insane taking damage is in the book?  I've never seen an RPG need nearly 5 pages to explain the basic concepts without actually providing bits of missing info at the same time.  It's crazy. 

What are these rolls? Playing in game, the average calculation you are making is the margin of success of failure for a target number on a 2d6 roll.

Once you have people rolling modifiers like +7 as par for the course, the system forces you to just start sending TNs through the roof or expect people to win, always, at everything. 

They aren't ridiculous. They are pretty straightforward. If they seem unrewarding, its because RPG's are centered around actions and play, not long periods of training.  If it seems too much..then don’t award the points.

Then that's all the more reason for them to be simple.  If it's centered around actions and play, then why have the rules at all?  It's not an excuse for a ludicrously over complication of what should be a simple rule set.

And again, if you're trucking around in a dropship in the IS (while AToW doesn't tell you this, of course) it takes MONTHS.  Taking a new contract makes this come into play all the time, in the smallest of games.  But nobody does it because it's horrible as presented here.

What did you need to know? You make up an appropriate target number if the players are trying to disarm it, or repair one. Its not like you need the damage rules for RPG scale play. Strategic nuclear weapons rules are not naturally located in an RPG.

You can make up TNs but making up increasingly ludicrous TNs to make the game interesting at an ever creeping attribute bonus is something that all modern systems have shyed away from hard, for a good reason.

Ok, they directly convert the dice to match battletech, and target numbers..and its still to hard? At what point do you cease having an RPG and just are playing a slightly more detailed game of normal battletech?

2nd Edition was the last system that used BattleTech style rolls.  But it goes beyond rolls; everything doesn't mesh between the boardgame and RPG.  The only detail in the book given is "Eh it takes 2 minutes to do this, but on board, it takes 1 turn.  Deal with it" more or less. 

It's just not integrated well in the system or the fluff; again, previous editions were more integrated this way.  Even 3rd Ed.

You pick an era. You get the era sourcebook. That's plenty of information for players to be able to play the game. How does ATOW make the game impossible for new players to understand? Perhaps its your approach to running the game that is doing it..like loading dropships and worrying about nuclear weapon mechanics on a personal character scale.

It's because every single rule is a labyrinth of text that spans multiple pages and chapters.  Most break out fractions and multiplications.  God help you if you want to resolve a grenade.

The irony of all this is, I'm mostly looking for base guidelines, and while you seem to think I want an accounting simulator - that's what AToW /is/.  I would gladly, and I mean GLADLY, sack many of these detailed rules for some more comprehensive universe information - not even a second thought.  A combat system shouldn't take hours and hours to figure out in an RPG.

Clearly I'm not insane on this; there's a torrent of people who have literally jumped away from this system but played the setting.  That's a sign things aren't good in the system.

The appropriate era sourcebooks have RPG modules for affiliations and eras. Print and PDF sourceboosk for the time, including detaisl on conflicts are available. What’s so confusing about it?

There is almost NO master list of rules/books right now that's reliable.  Finding specific books for specific factions or mechanics is literally impossible.

Ok..I’m completely at a loss how anyone could consider converting from a system firmly rooted in the same dice mechanics, success numbers, and provided rules for creating characters to a completely alien system (with horrible scaling problems for non superhuman characters) could be easier.  You don't make anything easier. You have to reinvent damage rules, equipment rules, and still look up everything you were complaining about before..unless White Wolf snuck out sourcebooks for Battletech while no one was looking.

Because in the end, the equipment rules, damage rules, and everything I was complaining about is -unusable- by most everyone, and in my experience the few people who think the system is usable are actually miscalculating stuff.  It's pretty much a hot mess.

Shadowrun has been recommended to me a few times, and I might have gone that way if I thought about it; it's at least a little closer.  And the Shadowrun RPG is vastly easier to use than AToW, with probably more details that actually work for it.

... just about everything in AToW except the lists - mostly drawn up from other books - is just a confusing wall-to-wall mass of rambling text and I think that's how almost everyone feels; combined with the really, really dated art (that is far inferior to what came before or after) it's the biggest new-player roadblock I've ever seen.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who digs just about everything about BattleTech.  I really think if this book was re-written from the ground up with an RPG designer today, it could be a MUCH better book.  Hence why this thread says we need a 5th Edition, and not that we need to abandon the idea. heh

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 14 September 2015, 23:12:22 »
So, because you don't like it, we need a 5th ed? I have no problems running the game. There are many others that have no problems, either. I'd say most don't. They don't post about the game because they don't have complaints about it. There are warts and editing issues that I'd like fixed but overall it's the best system for the RPG aspect that I've seen. IMO. It's not very hard at all to play and doesn't make you do any sort of mental gymnastics. A full round of combat takes a minute or two (more if you have indecisive players) and figuring out results is fast and easy. All in my experience, of course, but keep in mind we use the advanced hit location rules from the companion and still have no problems.

Well, you've already made up your mind, so no-one is going to convince you otherwise. Just thought I'd chime in and let you know that other people have different experiences (shocking, really :) ).

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Omegawolf

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2015, 00:20:58 »
I'm with Acolyte on this one. I've personally had zero issues when running this game. It seems daunting at first, but once you break the system to its core mechanics, it's a very easy and intuitive game.

A few points I'd like to cover -

How is it difficult to convert the rolls from AToW to the rest of Battletech? It's very simple and spelled out in the AToW book - you subtract your skill level from the TN and that produces your "Piloting" and "Gunnery" base numbers for Battletech (specifically in this case for Total Warfare). It really is as simple as that. 

In all honesty to me, you sound like you don't want to run an RPG, you want to run a strategy/simulationist game. That's not what an RPG is. It also really sounds like you don't want to actually have to run the game. You want every little thing spelled out for you in nice ,neat, concise charts. Again, that's not an RPG. You are going to have to do some guesswork, and you are going to have to adjudicate some things yourself and be imaginative. If that's not what you want to have to do, then maybe running an RPG isn't for you? You don't need to know every cubic meter that a box of 'mech parts takes up in a cargo ship. You decide if it fits or not. Again, it really is that simple.

And lastly, you say that the players get too powerful too quickly? How much experience are you giving out?! 15? 25? 30 per session? If you're giving out more than say 10 a session, then yeah, they're going to get powerful and fast. Again - it is up to YOU to decide how much experience to give out. Their progression is in your hands, not anyone else's. You can even limit what they spend their experience points on. If it doesn't make sense for them to spend more points into Martial Arts because the last several sessions were spent dealing with negotiating contracts with a House Lord, then, and this is really important,don't let them take it.

In closing, things are up to you since you are the one running the game. You don't need tons of charts and precise measurements. Who. Cares? If you want everything handed to you, if you don't want to have to make decisions and arbitrate a game, then maybe run a simulation or strategy tournament style game instead as that seems closer to what you want. Don't come in here and say that the RPG is crap when it's fine just because what you want isn't an RPG. Okay it has its problems - I could use some simplified character creation rules (or a freaking generator), but that's me personally and I take it as it is, but it's hardly the hot mess you make it out to be.   
« Last Edit: 15 September 2015, 00:48:53 by Omegawolf »

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2015, 01:35:27 »
Is ATOW a little clunky in places, yes and that's a direct of Herb having some seriously hardcore (and self-admitted) case of "Not Invented Here" which prevented certain elegant but already-published game mechanics, but it's not a bad system overall and the actual game play is dirt simple to figure out.

What it isn't however is a system that spoon feeds GM's like the Pathfinder or D&D 5 adventure paths do.

-Jackmc

Dr. Banzai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube.
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2015, 13:22:28 »
I've got a hard time figuring out who to agree with on this one.

On the one hand, I love the detail of character generation and how you build a backstory that determines your baseline stats for your character.

On the other, I'm a flippin' web developer with a Bachelor's in Mathematics and I look at the numbers of how to generate those statistics and they make me cry.

I don't know. But I am rattling away at possible solutions to the problem.

I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube. That person is a hateful person that does not represent the spirit of Buckaroo Banzai nor its fandom.

Panthros

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2015, 16:18:13 »

What it isn't however is a system that spoon feeds GM's like the Pathfinder or D&D 5 adventure paths do.

-Jackmc

So Pathfinder or D&D 5th is less manly of a game? Is AToW growing?  Do we see it at cons or being played at game stores?  What is wrong with better assisting game masters and players?  Spoon feeding is OK.  It should be easy to play a BattleTech RPG so the rules move to the background and the story moves to the foreground.  Fundamentally, this is the issue.  A new player or GM should easily get introduced and even continue playing AToW.  I would pay a subscription for modules that came out every month.  I do not have time to sit down and create adventures.  There is so much promise here.  I want to invest in this game and I am sure many others do as well.  Many want to make AToW more accessible and easier to play.  There seems to be resistance, it is just fine here, move along. Really? 

Omegawolf

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2015, 20:47:32 »
Actually that is the issue. I don't want my Battletech RPG becoming WoWified like all of the modern games have been. Between the new editions of D&D, to Pathfinder, to the newest Warhammer RPG and the FFG Star Wars RPG, all feel like you're straight-jacketed into how they want you to play the game rather than just giving you the tools to do what you want and they all very much feel like you're playing a game rather than participating in a story, so I don't get how you could play newer games and feel that story takes a back seat.

The story and role-playing is what's missing in modern gaming and it needs to return to form. I don't need a bunch of 20-somethings and teenagers crying and whining at my table because I said "no" to something they think they're entitled to. I don't want to play or run a game that feels like a game because you have to use special dice or because the characters leveled up and now they want to see what new and cool powers they can have so they can try and break the game. That right there is why I went back to 2nd edition D&D, WEG d6 Star Wars, and why I like AToW. The second reason I prefer those game systems is they all expect the GM/DM/whatever to be in charge and to arbitrate the game rather than giving him everything he needs so that he then has to railroad players on whatever module he's running because if he doesn't he won't know what to do.

By the way, you do know that railroading in RPGs is bad right? I only ask because it seems like there are a TON of players coming into AToW from the strategy/boardgame side of the equation here and expecting certain things that are not inherent in an RPG. That's not a bad thing per se, but those people do need to learn what an RPG is and what an RPG isn't. These aren't "scenarios" that are played out a specific way. You are literally playing the lives of whatever characters your players are playing in the universe and setting of Battletech and the players have a huge range of choices that their characters can choose from. So in light of that, even if they did produce modules and your players decided against doing it and decided to go their own way, what would you do? I don't even know what you're talking about when it comes to "planning adventures" for this game. Outside of coming up with a brief cast of NPCs, I just wing it as I go, and have never had a problem and the rules as they stand make it very easy to do just that.   

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2015, 21:02:56 »
I don't want my Battletech RPG becoming WoWified
I don't think ATOW being converted to a MMORPG with over ten million players, is a realistic concern. Also, I doubt CGL would consider that the "nightmare scenario"; I doubt if it's even "best case scenario" because that would be as likely as finding out that the BT timeline from the 80s is secretly the "real" timeline that the government is hiding from us by controlling the media.

Register