Author Topic: New printing of AtoW already out?  (Read 2362 times)

rabindranath72

• Corporal
New printing of AtoW already out?
« on: 30 October 2015, 09:58:35 »
So all this discussing about AtoW made me think I could give the game a spin. I have noticed there's a quite extensive errata document, and a new printing in 2015 is mentioned. Is the printing already out? Is the book clearly marked with "2nd printing" somewhere on the cover?

Thanks,
Antonio

Jewelfox

• Sergeant
  • Inari no kitsune
    • Jewelfox's den
Re: New printing of AtoW already out?
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2015, 15:31:03 »
I think what they're selling right now is a recent version, because it was unavailable from their web store for the longest time and then it went back up last summer.

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you for sure, and the last time I asked customer support if something was the latest printing I received no answer.

rabindranath72

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2015, 03:27:55 »
I think what they're selling right now is a recent version, because it was unavailable from their web store for the longest time and then it went back up last summer.

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you for sure, and the last time I asked customer support if something was the latest printing I received no answer.
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering why so many views, and no replies, especially none from the publisher and writers (I posted another request in the Writers thread, but I got no reply.)
The two copies my FLGS has, are both 1st printings; I may ask him to get a 2nd printing, but I don't want to send him on a merry chase if it's not available.
From the lack of official replies in both your and my case, looks like CGL is really not interested in selling their books. Oh well, suits them I guess  :-\

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2015, 04:53:45 »
I think the current version of ATOW is something like the third or 4th or higher printing if you consider errata fixes to constitute a new printing.  unfortunately I am not entirely sure.

I KNOW that they have done at least 2 or 3 MIMIMUM print runs because they keep selling out, and the book was originally published in 2010.

from what some of TPTB have said, their current model is typically to print a run of a number of books say 10-100k and send the then current revised/errata corrected PDF of the book to the actual printer who prints out X copies, that they then sell.

so in a way these may constitute "stealth" revisions because they don't necessarily get noted as a new edition (they may, but I can't find a "current" copy. ) 

rabindranath72

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2015, 05:41:20 »
I think the current version of ATOW is something like the third or 4th or higher printing if you consider errata fixes to constitute a new printing.  unfortunately I am not entirely sure.

I KNOW that they have done at least 2 or 3 MIMIMUM print runs because they keep selling out, and the book was originally published in 2010.

from what some of TPTB have said, their current model is typically to print a run of a number of books say 10-100k and send the then current revised/errata corrected PDF of the book to the actual printer who prints out X copies, that they then sell.

so in a way these may constitute "stealth" revisions because they don't necessarily get noted as a new edition (they may, but I can't find a "current" copy. )
Thanks for the info. I wonder if there's an indication on the book itself of what print run it is?
If not, short of checking ALL the errata document, there's effectively no way of knowing what errata is in a given book.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2015, 06:54:11 »
If you check page 5, near the end of the Credits, you should be able to find an indication if a book is the 2nd printing. After the copyright section, and before the "Published by Catalyst Game Labs, an imprint of InMediaRes," there should be a little note that says "Corrected Second Printing," if its a later printing.

rabindranath72

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2015, 08:27:14 »
If you check page 5, near the end of the Credits, you should be able to find an indication if a book is the 2nd printing. After the copyright section, and before the "Published by Catalyst Game Labs, an imprint of InMediaRes," there should be a little note that says "Corrected Second Printing," if its a later printing.
Brilliant, thanks!  O0

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2015, 14:06:24 »
I know its going to sound funny but FASA had a lot of what I am going to call "stealth" reprints back in the day, for instance I know the only way to tell various prints of TRO3050 apart (aside from the cover) between the original versions, and the revised TRO3050 that pulled the "unseen" and inserted the 2750 mechs, was to look at the printing page, and also a few mechs like the Gladiator (the 95 ton clan Omni) its actual stats varied sometimes significantly depending on the printing.

as far as I can tell however my 3 copies of tro3050 are 1 first printing (missing the front cover) and 2 revised 3rd printings, I have seen other versions but I don't have them.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2015, 15:58:54 »
The second printing is available in pdf for sure.  I'm not sure if it's in print, though I assume so.

Catalyst doesn't do "stealth" reprintings (thankfully): the printing info is always in the credits section, along with the date.  The errata documents for each of the core books details the dates of reprints and where to look to find this in the book.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

rabindranath72

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2015, 03:46:05 »
The errata documents for each of the core books details the dates of reprints and where to look to find this in the book.
This doesn't seem to be the case, here. We only know that the latest errata is dated 5th July 2015, and that "All entries are included in the 2015 second printing of this book." So, is there a 2nd printing, or is it a plan for the future? (although we are already in November, so there's not a lot of time left before the end of 2015.)

rabindranath72

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2015, 04:44:57 »
I am happy to report that a "Corrected Second Printing" does indeed exist, and I bought it :)
I actually bought it twice, the first book I got had a really bad binding so I sent it back.
The second one was excellent, though.
I got the book at 25% discount, and the GM Screen at 33% discount.

Register