Author Topic: Operation: Flashpoint - How was it?  (Read 2874 times)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Operation: Flashpoint - How was it?
« on: 13 March 2011, 15:21:31 »
I'm currently reading the Operation: Flashpoint sourcebook, thinking that it might make an interesting campaign for our group.  Has anyone played this campaign and if so, how was it?

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Operation: Flashpoint - How was it?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2011, 14:46:51 »
I haven't played the campaign, but it is interesting.  The fun part is the Public Opinion rules, where if you lose a battle, but do it in style, you can actually get the population on your side, giving you more supplies, extra troops, sabotage efforts, etc.

The only note I would make is that the military guy seems to always be good, while the politician always seems to be bad.  To mess with your players, try flipping it around.  The military guy wants to control and organize the planet into an armed camp, so he can keep on fighting the Clans.  The politician wants to improve the tech base of the planet, so it will benefit the people, but also neighboring systems.

The methods of control become similar as well, i.e. a sneak attack, then directly attacking the opponent' base, with the military eventually dissolving the civilian government, in favor of a dictatorship based on military ranks/authority.  There may be civilian advisors later (picked for their 'cooperation'), but the final decision is with the officer in charge.

This makes for good RP as well, as the military guy has quality units to fight, while the politician is scrambling to call in favors, create debts, etc, trying to survive.  The mercs he hires will fight for a little bit of time, then leave based on the contract agreement (i.e. a neighboring unit would not get any loss compensation, so as soon as any of the units takes damage, they leave).  Have fun with that merc unit holding your flank, that is not geting any BLC.  The first bit of damage they take is when they leave.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Re: Operation: Flashpoint - How was it?
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2011, 17:17:34 »
I thought it looked interesting.  We considered moving the setting to somewhere in or around the Arc-Royal area to allow a player who plays only Clan to join if he wanted. 

Thanks for the input!

Register