Author Topic: MechWarrior Tactics, first extensional description  (Read 29017 times)

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
Re: MechWarrior Tactics, first extensional description
« Reply #30 on: 10 March 2012, 16:07:57 »
To be honest with you guys, aside from being pretty, I'm not sure what MWT will bring to the table that MM cannot.  Furthermore, it sounds like there is a lot that MWT won't be able to do as well as MM.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 10 March 2012, 16:11:35 »
Good thing it's not trying to be MMek. Good thing that's not some kind of critical failure on its part that will dramatically reduce its ability to do well as a game. Good thing we don't even know for sure to what extent it tries to copy the rules of a board/mini game.

It seems a lot of people are faulting it without having seen it in action, and without realizing that they're faulting it for quite unreasonable reasons.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Madcow9000

• Private
« Reply #32 on: 10 March 2012, 16:50:12 »
I'm thinking I'm going to like this despite the seemingly alternate universe.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2012, 16:52:01 by Madcow9000 »
For nearly a day and a half we were an island of resistance in a sea of Falcon Green.

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 10 March 2012, 19:50:37 »
It uses the Unity plug-in:
http://unity3d.com/webplayer/

Available for both MacOS and Windows, works with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and Camino.

I hope they'll also develop an iPad version that allows you to play against PC players.

As far as the F2P aspect, it can be done right (League of Legends, etc.) or it can be done wrong (currently in a closed beta with one of the but under NDA so can't name names), I really hope its done right!

As for MM, great community effort, but I don't see it as a user friendly experience, this Tactics seems like a much better user experience...

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #34 on: 10 March 2012, 20:27:01 »
It uses the Unity plug-in:
http://unity3d.com/webplayer/

Oh sheesh, browser based?!?!?!?! 

It'll suck :(

I was hoping to at least get access to the low poly models :(
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

kurtl000

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 10 March 2012, 20:48:10 »
How does it being browser based mean its gonna suck?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 10 March 2012, 20:50:19 »
Because no one's happy unless we all really hate something we know nothing of except some screenshots.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

kurtl000

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 10 March 2012, 20:52:28 »
Because no one's happy unless we all really hate something we know nothing of except some screenshots.

Paul
Sounds pretty accurate O0

kroner

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • the artist formerly known as Vorpal
« Reply #38 on: 10 March 2012, 22:32:07 »
According to Joystiq: "At the end of a match, players are able to watch the whole match as one movie, and share it on their favorite social media platforms, like Friendster, YouTube and Facebook."  O0

Neat feature, but oy-yoi-yoi...  I can think of many game I've played that I would not want played back to me in real time.   :)

Should be a good after action teaching tool.

kroner

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • the artist formerly known as Vorpal
« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2012, 22:48:31 »
First concrete description of gameplay:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/gdc-2012-looking-at-mechwarriors-big-free-to-play-return-in-2012/

Wow!  On read through of the article, I think that I like Mechwarrior Tactics (MW:T) more than Mechwarrior Online at first blush.  MW:O strikes me as World of Tanks with Mechs.  Don't get me wrong.  WoT is fun, but for a dude firmly in the grip of middle age, twitch reflexes aren't my speciality anymore.   

Now, on the otherhand....

MW:T definitely seems to be a board game simulation.  It will stand on the shoulders of MegaMek for sure.  I love it.  Not only will it be fun, but with enhanced graphics and realtime playback, MW:T will be an excellent teaching tool for the boardgame.   

People are going to be able to plan moves, quickly see the results in something approximating 3D graphics, and immediate receive feedback nly on game mechanics, and, more importantly, tactics.  Speaking for myself, I sometimes have a hard time absorbing tactical lessons due to the length of time it takes to resolve a turn and prepare for the next turn.  By the time the next turn (much less the next game) rolls around, I am thinking about micro tactics within the turn, not how to make the whole encounter sing. 

I am psyched!

Next Up?  Holographic table representation of BT a la SW: episode 4.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2012, 23:02:30 »
Greatly looking forward to this, though I hope there's some nod to mobile / tablet users. Big market not to try to breach, even though I'll be playing this on a laptop or desktop myself.

The art... isn't that encouraging for me. I wish it was more faithful to the stuff we like, I had a hard time visually identifying those 'Mechs on their splash page when it was announced.

It's hexed-based, it's turn based, and it'll be simplified. But the core, apparently, will still be BT. They'll use Red/Yellow/Green to show newbies if it's a good idea or not to shoot something at that range with your heat. But I doubt they'll dumb down the core mechanics of hexes, heat, and 'Mech action.

Now, to totally ignore this title until just before its release so that I won't become jaded by all the marketing stuff that's sure to come.

Also, I would LOOOVE for a community of commentators to arise from those replays. We gotta get Hellbie playing this too. But I'd love for in-depth tactical analyses. It's something that's hard to do on the tabletop, and slightly difficult to visualize in MegaMek.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2012, 23:04:47 »

When you have played as many games as I have, for as long as I have, with a development background, and experience with unity, even a single in-game screenshot with interface is enough to determine a *lot* about a game.  It could still have a good though, but that won't keep people playing it for months.  If they integrate this somehow with a persistent universe it could still have real potential, but if the megemak developers decided to just add a 3D interface to their own system it'd be much better.

Recording a series of turns isn't exactly hard by any means.  3D at that scale is fairly easy in most ways, though weapon effects can be tough.  To me the hardest thing about this would be simply making the models/animations and artwork.  If we had, say 20 or so low poly animated battletech models I can assure you that we'd already have a 3D version of megamek. 

Another thing to think about.  Look at the Dawn of War games.  They were *awesome*.  DOW2 I actually still play online occasionally (last stand mode is to die for!).  Its a pretty simple engine, with great animations and models, and overall the game is pretty fun.  Not quite moddable enough IMO, but great nonetheless.  Now, compare that to the tabletop game.  Right, pretty much nothing is the same.  Its a great game, but it is *not* a copy of the tabletop game, just in the same universe. 

Crossing my fingers to be wrong, but the best this can be IMO is mediocre, but since it is browser based *and* free the audience should be considerable, which is a great thing no matter the quality of the game.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #42 on: 11 March 2012, 01:15:18 »
It doesn't require Java.

It also doesn't seem to require an installation since it runs inside a browser.

That is two good points that mean this might just be playable.

I will be looking at this very closely.  :)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 11 March 2012, 03:21:30 »
There's one thing MegaMek doesn't have and MW:T does. It's that replay feature.

If you finish the game, you will see what of your decisions were good or weren't.
In MegaMek, you are left with log file. You can print the map of terrain, but without units. So you actually can't see the disposition of you 'Mechs during the battle.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #44 on: 11 March 2012, 12:05:43 »
I will definitely keep an eye on this.....looks pretty cool.

Though i do agree that the 'Mechs look kinda odd

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 28 March 2012, 09:24:40 »
MechWarrior Tactics forums are online:

http://www.mwtactics.com/forums/

Swiftfire

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 28 March 2012, 10:00:42 »
Just registered for that forum. Thanks for the info.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 28 March 2012, 10:13:08 »
From what I've read, you must actually register for the second time. Your first registration, in which you registered your MechCommander name (two months ago), has nothing common with registration on MW Tactics forums.

Swiftfire

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 28 March 2012, 10:18:36 »
That is correct. I tried to log on with my previous name, but that didn't work, so I registered a second time.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #49 on: 28 March 2012, 10:51:32 »
Is there a known reason the Tactics team went so far afield with the visual appearances?  I had no idea what a couple of 'Mechs were until I looked at the name. 
« Last Edit: 28 March 2012, 10:57:23 by 00Dawg »

CDT Special Agent #343

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 28 March 2012, 11:06:01 »
New video:

http://www.viddler.com/v/b7ff648d

Time 07:00 - 10:00

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #51 on: 28 March 2012, 11:55:27 »
Some of the effects were neat, and I like the general feel.  Still could use some better "I've been hit" animations to really immerse you in the battle.
The repeated comments about collectability were a little worrisome, but I realize very little that is free in the computer world is also great.  Hopefully they'll have skins for sale that let you use traditional appearances for your 'Mechs.

CDT Special Agent #343

kurtl000

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 28 March 2012, 12:28:15 »
I'm probably not gonna bother with their forums but try to find out why they tried to fix something that wasn't broken regarding how thee mechs look.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 28 March 2012, 12:53:36 »
I'm probably not gonna bother with their forums but try to find out why they tried to fix something that wasn't broken regarding how thee mechs look.

MW Tactics hasn't said anything that I've heard of, but MW Online has mentioned that some of the 'mechs can't animate they way they were done.
It's not like they're the first.  MW Tactics, MW Online, Mechwarrior: Dark Age, Mechwarrior 4 are all their own "style".  So MW Tactics is showing a 2987 model Atlas rather than a 3012.  I can live with it as long as they look cool.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #54 on: 28 March 2012, 15:40:47 »
I can live with it as long as they look cool.

I'll go one easier - if the game play is top notch I'll accept less-than-original artwork.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #55 on: 28 March 2012, 17:58:56 »
New video:

http://www.viddler.com/v/b7ff648d

Thanks for that.

The game looks absolutely horrible though.  I'll give it a try, but "collectible" is the #1 way to ruin a game, #2 is "free to play", and #3 is "browser based".  The only thing in this that even remotely looks "ok" are the pretty customizable models, but they are barely a step above "meh".

Hopefully Mechwarrior online will be a lot better (I'm still thinking it'll be nearly exactly like World of Tanks, but with a better engine.... thats ok if they don't dumb it down too much).  However, perhaps this game will get some youngsters into the IP, and we need all the support we can get.

Give me 1 graphics programmer (for the very simple engine), 1 modeler (need mechs, duuh), and 3 months of salary and I could make something far far better, as could many of you that are technology oriented.
Battletech Engineer

General308

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 28 March 2012, 20:01:38 »
I am looking forward to this one.  I think my only complaint is it is only lance on lance

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #57 on: 28 March 2012, 20:22:18 »
Considering how much of a chore MM can seem for my non-BT playing, this is something that will be a big plus in my gaming circle.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #58 on: 28 March 2012, 23:13:39 »
Give me 1 graphics programmer (for the very simple engine), 1 modeler (need mechs, duuh), and 3 months of salary and I could make something far far better, as could many of you that are technology oriented.

How do you know it will only take three months, and who's going to care about paying you if you come up with something not enough people like?  Where are you going to find the money if you ever wanted to update the game with more content and/or updated/fixed rules or animations?

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #59 on: 28 March 2012, 23:26:35 »
It looks good, and the 3D MM thing definitely appeals, but the whole CCG booster pack thing is leaving me cold :/