Author Topic: My AU, Katherine, White Wolf of Ragnarok (Complete, Comments welcome)  (Read 35166 times)

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
Re: My AU, Katherine, White Wolf of Ragnarok
« Reply #120 on: 02 February 2018, 15:32:51 »
talk about really screwing with cannon for sure. saving author, moving peter before morgan finds him. sending Iris and kit into the davion out back while theodore cleans house. curtis as a MIM plant. that really is off the beatepath and turning the guard. great trick.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #121 on: 02 February 2018, 20:43:51 »
talk about really screwing with cannon for sure. saving author, moving peter before morgan finds him. sending Iris and kit into the davion out back while theodore cleans house. curtis as a MIM plant. that really is off the beatepath and turning the guard. great trick.

Oh there are more surprises in store, stay tuned.  I've been trying to bring every genre into this thread as a personal challenge.  Though I need some more horror but that is what the Manei Domini are for, quiaff?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 03 February 2018, 00:34:22 »
Force Report 3066

Wolf Imperial Forces
90 Total Clusters (30 Front, 60 Second) + 9 Galaxy Keshiks + 14 Warships

Cluster Composition (cough Jaeger cough)
2 Mech Trinaries, Cluster Command Nova, 2 Vehicle Trinaries, Elemental/Power Armor Binary, Fighter Binary

Second Line Clusters trade the Elementals and Fighters for a Trinary of Mounted Infantry (Transported on Heavy APCs with one Star being Airmobile on Anhurs)

06/20/3066 15:17 Location – WIS Blood Moon, above Buson Bay, Weingarten, Wolf Empire

The mighty Du Shi Wang Battleship WIS Blood Moon had been refitted above Tamar and was undergoing its shakedown cruise.  It’s nearly million ton mass burning silently above the idyllic world of Weingarten, whose rolling hills, warm temperatures, and abundant rain nurtured some of the finest wines in the Inner Sphere.  It was the choice posting in the Wolf Empire which had industrialized some portions of it to produce vehicles.  They had done so without damaging the economy of winemaking or tourism, in fact the Merchant caste had increased visitation and were given a certain allotment of all expense paid trips to give to (only) Laborers for exceptional performance. 

It was such a draw that Khan Ward had authorized a week of shore leave after the Blood Moon’s crew completed their shakedown cruise.  Positive reinforcement still seemed alien to his core Clan sensibilities but results were all that counted in the end, so he was open to options especially if it was for the civilian castes.  The Warrior caste despite its privileged position had to great a chance to become abusive to the locals so they had their own recreational facilities where they can work out their stress.

Khan Vladimir Ward stood on the bridge at parade rest while Star Admiral Edgar Reinhold, the sole abtakha Snow Raven blood-named within the Touman and former Assault Dropship squad commander, sat in the command chair on the bridge.  His subordinate officers were arranged around him, a holographic projector in a central transparent cylinder filled with some liquid provided situational awareness, larger view screens gave the Admiral a high level systems view of the corresponding console below.  All of them were currently green or dark.  “Admiral Reinhold, how goes the shakedown?”

“Khan Ward, the Snow Ravens gave you a solid base and your technicians are doing excellent work bringing this vessel’s systems back online.  We will wait for you to disembark before beginning the more complex tests to ensure that everything runs smoothly.”

“This vessel will help bring the wolves and you much glory so do make sure everything goes smoothly.  I will inform you when I depart and look forward to seeing the results by the end of the month after attending to my business groundside.”

The Star Admiral nodded and began shouting orders to his major officers to seal the main bridge and begin a series of simulated systems failures.  Khan Ward departed and the bulkhead sealed behind him, a point of Elemental Marines remained at their posts guarding the Bridge.  They saluted as the Khan walked back through the corridors. 

The gunmetal steel walkways had the standard Blue (Sky/Dorsal) and Tan (Floor/Ventral) coatings that dated before the Star League. Holds were built into both of the polished aluminum walls which concealed conduit and pipes running throughout the ship.  This corridor smelled of burning plastic and technicians ran to address the various minor problems that would occur in such an ancient vessel.  The Ship’s PA was calling out orders to work crews throughout the vessel.  The dispatchers being based out of the secondary command center with the Ship’s 2nd officer, their pleasant melodic voices contrasting the constant tool noise and background hum that was the soundscape of life aboard any ship.

Red Alpha-Numeric symbols marked frame location (A-F Sections at the widest, Numbers going “up” from the thrusters) and were located every ten meters, roughly in the center of a compartment.  Vladimir took stock of his current location and began heading “down” and as he did so paid attention to the Technicians to ensure he didn’t end up on the wrong side a problem.  Blue suits and gold IGE- service numbers were reserved for the eighty workers that Katherine had brought with her this trip, grey and red V- numbers were Wolves.

These new Techs had been trained at Port Sydney while the yards there were reconditioning the Wolf’s heavily used Jump-ships over the past half-decade. That work was paid for by the Indigo Group in exchange for resources and expertise that only the Clans possessed.  The Wolves being able to trial for technologies and experts that were a treasure trove for commercial interests, something that confused most of the home clans but was bound to happen eventually, better the Wolves and Commonwealth than the Nova Cats and Combine.

Vlad walked past a dozen Aerospace Pilots exiting one of the many briefing rooms that dotted the upper levels, four of whom were the peculiar looking aerospace phenotype.  The acknowledged him but continued on toward the Flight Deck for their own practice launching and landing on the Blood Moon while under thrust. 

The Blood Moon could sortie fifty aerospace fighters and ten small craft, the fighters were mostly the versatile and heavy hitting Jagatai for Trueborns with the Lighting-C for Freeborns and a support star of Sabre-C and Xerxes. The compliment was 6 C-1s and 4 ST-46Cs their launch bays being added above Tamar due to the meager two dropship collars this Battleship possessed despite the nearly 80 kiloton cargo bay and 500 crew.

Finally he was near his destination, a large door in his way marked SCLBC-01-04 PT in yellow script on the blue paneling, a green light on the side signaled he could enter.  It opened at his direction and inside was a simple corridor with a similar doorway across the hall reading SCLBC-05-08 PT and doors on either side marked 01-03 and 02-04.

He opened the one on his right and it opened to a split stairway and headed down to a pressure door which displayed a green light.  He keyed it open and walked into a launch bay where a gray and blue ST-46C was faced at a 30° outside angle on its landing gear. 

Katherine and Morgan sat on the ramp while two six year old brown haired boys were wrestling across the launch bay, all were dressed in summer clothes despite the chill in the ship.
“Siegfried, Alaric stop!”
The two boys stopped and looked toward him, “Get on the ship.  We are going soon.”
“Finally!”  Sig, the slightly shorter one, “I have never seen the ocean before.” 
Alaric, the taller one, “Do you think it has sharks?”
Vlad herded them onto the ship, “There are no sharks there.”
“Why not?”
“I checked myself.  Now get on, I will be there in a moment.”

Vlad took his moment to change before rejoining them.  All of the strange family was sitting on the jump seats with Krauser, Lisa, and Baird filling out the eight person passenger compartment.  Vlad keyed the intercom to the pilots, “Ready to launch.”
“Aff Khan Ward, launch in ten”

The ST-46C sealed up and the launch bay was evacuated of air and handlers, the pilots confirmed with Blood Moon Flight Ops that the door was secure and then they received a push off via electromagnetic catapult clearing the massive vessel before reorienting and beginning their burn.  Sig and Alaric watched the view screen as the immense size of the ship gradually grew and diminished and within twenty minutes they were entering Weingarten’s atmosphere. 

Thirty minutes after launch they landed at Buson Bay’s Spaceport where a blue-gold Anhur transport was waiting for them.  Within an hour they were at their destination, the Blaue Küste resort town of Sonnenbrunnen, formerly one of the finest vacation spots in the Lyran Commonwealth now under new management.  Magnificent vineyards surrounded the villa where they were staying and crystal clear saltwater with spectacular cliff-side views was just a short walk away, the air smelled of flowers and salt spray.  Lisa and Baird ensuring that the luggage was handled and children found their rooms, Krauser checked in with the Wolf Patrol guards manning checkpoints outside.

Vladimir and Katherine eventually found their room which overlooked the sea cliffs.  The Wolf Khan paused looking out the window, “This is beautiful”

Katherine stood behind him off to his left side, “and it is all ours and soon everything will be.”
“Not soon enough, but I will settle for you and us now.”
“Oh yes, I knew we would enjoy this trip”

06/24/3066 WIS Blood Moon above Weingarten

Admiral Reinhold and his subordinates had just executed an hour long max burn which had shaken a few things loose.  Damage control was dealing with it while the rest of the Technicians were still going over ever kilometer of conduit looking for leaks or damage.

A blip showed up on Section Commander Loren's sensor suite, she confirmed with the secondary sensors before shouting, “Admiral, KF signature blooming at the pirate point sir!”
“Any pre-authorized jumps Commander.”
“Neg, not for the next eight days”
“Stravag!  Alert the fighter Stars, bring the baseline weapons online Commander Pietre.  Move to intercept and alert the Garrison.”
“Aye Sir!  Bringing Pulse Lasers and Light NPPCs online.  At available power that is the most we can handle.”

Six minutes later, a Congress Frigate jumped in system without a broadcasting transponder.

“Ensign hail them”
“They are hailing us, putting it through.”

“Admiral Reinhold this is Loremaster Katya Kerensky aboard the Rogue”
“Stravag, Loremaster we almost shot at you. Why are you here?  You know to call ahead or at least have the transponder on.”
“I need to speak with the Khan.  I will be disembarking shortly.”
“Aff Loremaster, Pietre and Terrance power down the weapons and put the fighters off alert.  Shift power back to engines for another round of maneuvering.”
“Aye Sir!”

To the Rogue, “Captain Dannvers while you are here mind giving us a target to maneuver against.”

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #123 on: 03 February 2018, 00:56:39 »
Interesting... Katya's in a rush...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #124 on: 03 February 2018, 13:45:18 »
Ghost Island, part 1

07/21/3064 05:00 Location – MIM Ghost Island, Harminious, Magistracy of Canopus

Arthur was still sleeping when he heard a melodic and heavily accented voice, “Leftenant Steiner-Davion wake up.”  When he opened his eyes he saw one of the most gorgeous woman he had ever seen standing at his bedside wearing a light blue outfit that looked both professional and fashionable.  Her short black hair partially covering her face, “I thought angels were blonde.”

“I see your sense of humor is still intact,” she tapped on a chart with her pen, “going to have to remove that, prognosis is poor for survival otherwise”
“Your bedside manner is terrible Ms...”
“Dr Erdé Centrella, Commander, Magistracy Medical Corps”
“Wait Centrella, that would mean that...”
“Yes, that my mother is Magestrix Emma Centrella, The Tigress, also the bitch that lured and trapped me here.  Your sister is the Archon-Princess of the Federated Commonwealth, there's probably a Marik bastard in here somewhere if the rumors about Janos are true.  No big deal.  Now get up, we have things to do.”
“Well I don't have anything on under this sheet.”
“I'm a doctor, I've seen it all already”
“I haven't seen you nude. quid pro quo”
“and you won't. no no no”
“I don't know about that.”
  Arthur got up and stretched, “Down there is still original, figured since your mother made everything else better she would have enhanced it but apparently it was to her satisfaction.  Actually quite a compliment.”

He took a very long time to get dressed much to Erdé's silent protest, she simply sat on the couch in the beach bungalow looking out over the bay as the sun neared the horizon mourning her vacation plans.  At least the view was impressive, this site was formerly a health spa, officially it was condemned and the health license revoked but unofficially it was the most expensive MIM site accounting for nearly 15% of their budget, Selene the Black Ops Station in Niops was only 8%.

“Are you ready yet?  Don't tell me you need help dressing.  It is bad enough that I have to babysit you.  I will not be your mother.”

Arthur returned in shorts, a tank top, and sneakers. “Even my mother was not my mother Doctor, lead the way Erdé.”
"Never say that again."
"Whatever you say Erdé"
"That either"

The two of them ran around the 2 kilometer long running path that girded the island like a moat of rubber.  She was in good shape and easily paced Arthur who was still having difficulty hitting and keeping an even stride.  They jogged one and walked the other, passing dozens of other patients and their health aides who were getting their morning runs in before it became to hot.  Satisfied with the exercise both of them went to the Mess for breakfast, everything was loosely timed here so the patients trickled in throughout the morning.  Arthur was eating a large platter for breakfast having to replenish a large quantity of lost muscle, “I almost hate to say Doctor but getting blown up might have been the best thing to ever happen to me.  Food has never been better, I get to work out all the time, don't have to worry about affairs of state," he winked at her, "and the views are to die for.”

“I wouldn't make a habit of it Leftenant, you are fortunate to come into our hands rather than those of the Word of Blake.”
“Why me though?”
“Their Master probably intended to turn you into a cyborg puppet Prince.  Your sister's regency is tenuous if either you or Peter ever resurfaced there would be calls for her ouster, especially after Bannanock.”
“What happened at Bannanock?”
“It just a crater now, the Archon's task force bombarded it from orbit and carpet bombed the whole area killing a total of a thousand civilians and twice that number of soldiers.”
“How did it come to that?”
“Your wise older brother's champion went rogue and nearly killed both of your sisters.”
“Bishop almost killed Yvonne and Katherine, that doesn't make any sense.”
“War never does.  That's why I am a doctor and not a Mechwarrior, a doctor that should be treating refugees from the Aurigan Coalition or on vacation right now.  Not here with you.”
“Leave then”
“I can't!  I got rank pulled on me by my mother and the newly promoted as of yesterday Colonel Selaj.  The diamonds were still gleaming out of the package on her desk.  Eles que sa danem!”
“I don't know what you said, but I have a pretty good idea.”
“You shut up!  I'm going to make this difficult on you because of them.”

08/17/3064

Arthur Steiner-Davion was working out isolated muscle groups in the gym attempting to level the tone in his cloned parts with those of his natural ones. Erdé monitored his implanted biochip from an elevated booth, a Smoke Jaguar Scientist identified by her charcoal lab coat hovering menacingly beside her, a MIM agent monitored the clanswoman.  “Your subject is progressing quite well Commander, fitting considering his trothkin killed my Clan, of course he would be strong.”
“I hope you do not hold grudges Amelia.  It would be a waste to have your research cut short, by a bullet.”
“Clans always hold grudges but I am part of Clan Centrella now just  like  you,  So I will stay any vengeance I might have planned.  That does not mean I did not have any planned, of course.”
“Of course.  Unless you have my lab reports I would like you to continue on with your other duties.”

Amelia handed a data chip to Erdé, “Here are your lab reports Commander”

The scientist left returning to her lab, monitor following close behind.  Erdé inserted the data chip into her comm-pad and looked over the extensive charts detailing every aspect of Arthur's biology.  For someone who was nearly dead a year ago he was in good shape but there was a lot of catching up to reach his baseline prior to the incident.  At least she wouldn't be bored but her mother better give her a vacation after this.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #125 on: 03 February 2018, 22:47:09 »
04/04/3065 11:55 Location – Castle Randis, Outside Hope, Randis IV

Castle Randis despite it's grand name was little more than a small stone keep used by the Knights of Randis as a meeting and ceremonial place.  Today was an auspicious day blue and silver banners hung from its Ramparts and there were seven Battlemechs stationed in front of its walls.  Lord Knight Peter Focht had spent the night in vigil but now walked down the stone flagstone path that lead to the Keep's gate past hundreds of citizens of Randis IV many of whom he recognized. 

He was resplendent in a red and black silk tabard over a steel breastplate, sword carried at his hip.  As he neared the crowd thinned and he faced the seven senior Knights of Randis, Grand Knight Lucas Beckett standing in the center atop a small dais where a brazier burned, his blue and silver Warhawk behind him in front of the gate.  Archbishop Jacob Stein of Baranda (of the NACC responsible for the Commonwealth Periphery) and Lord Knight Galahad Frews, the former Grand Knight, stood beside him and the remaining Council members and the elderly COMSTAR Precentor Brix occupied the remaining half circle.

Peter stopped at the end of a red and gold carpet, he could see his wife Daphne holding their infant daughter Victoria who was being unusually quiet at the front of the crowd.  Grand Master Beckett called the crowd to silence,

“Lord Knight Peter Focht step forward”

Peter stepped forward stopping three steps away from the Grand Master and his attending dignitaries.

“kneel”  He did so holding his right hand to his chest in salute, head bowed

“Lord Knight Focht, your faith is strong and my faith in you is stronger.  You were still lost when you came to Randis but you have found a home here and given hope to many.  Without your aid and vision the people before us would have been lost to darkness forgotten like so many others.  Through your grand efforts the Brotherhood grows stronger.  Do you swear to uphold the Seven Virtues with all your being?”
“I swear it!”
“Will you be the righteous sword that defends the weak?”
“I will Grand Knight!”
“Will you be a beacon of light where there is nothing but darkness?”
“The Light inside me shall never diminish, it will burn pure and strong as long as I live.  I swear it!”
“Archbishop,”
  The Archbishop presents a silvered sword to the Grand Knight, “Lord Knight Peter Focht, before these witnesses.  I dub thee, Paladin.”

Tap on the right shoulder, “May God have Mercy on your foes,” other shoulder, “bring Grace to your friends,” and on the head, “and grant you Wisdom.  Rise now Paladin Peter Focht.”
Peter rose and stood next to the Grand Knight who presented him with the sword.  Raising it to roars of approval.  A grand feast was prepared and all were welcome to see their new Champion.

20:28 Hope City

Hope City had grown in the years since Peter had first come to the planet five years ago after spending nearly four years at St Marinus House on the other side of the Inner Sphere, he had come to do good and start anew and succeeded beyond his expectations.  Colonies were falling under increasingly aggressive pirates and the Knights of Randis were trying to save as many as possible by relocating them, their ranks swelled as chaos and turmoil followed in his sister Katherine's ascension to power and ongoing crises in the Taurian Concordat and neighboring Aurigan Coalition displaced thousands some of whom found their way to Randis. 

The New Avalon Church provided charity from their now largest mission and Grand Duchess Yvonne sent foreign aid to the one stable place spin-ward of her borders but the pace was straining the underdeveloped world's infrastructure.  There was so much need for so many.

Peter and Daphne had changed back into their normal clothes, he carried their ceremonial gear back in his large steamer bag and she carried their daughter who had mercifully gone to sleep.  He wasn't supposed to sleep during his vigil last night which was just another night for him, since he hadn't gotten a full night of sleep in four months. 

So many things were happening so quickly but he felt blessed, God surely thought him strong enough to endure.  The promotion had been unexpected, having only been made Lord Knight last year but the Grand Knight knew that a Paladin would soon be needed and he prayed the man had chosen well. 

The three of them arrived at their modest wooden house near the edge of the city, both of them having moved out of the monastery after being wed.  The Order paid for their needs but little else, not that they had many possessions or wanted for anything.  Daphne's Marshal had been returned to the pool the Order would never send a mother into combat and Hope would never fall to an enemy, not as long as one Knight lived. 

Daphne put their daughter in her crib in the bedroom while Peter unloaded the bag as quietly as possible placing his armor on its stand and the new sword on the mantle.  She returned tip toeing on the carpeted wooden floor, “I pray she sleeps a little longer tonight.  You must be tired Peter rest while you can, I'll try to keep her quiet.”

04/19/3065 08:17 The Inner Sanctum

The Monastery of Istyn was a grand complex, home to nearly 800 souls, all unmarried of the Order of Randis lived within its ornate walls.  Paladin Focht followed Grand Knight Beckett both dressed in red robes with black sashes through the vaults below the Monastery.  Peter had seen some portions of it since that is where the Battlemech repair bays were but he had never seen the full extent of the bunkers that burrowed through the mountains and he likely never would numerous tunnels snaked through the native granite stone. 

They paused at a door Beckett pulled an ornate square key out from under his robes and used it on the slot in the middle of the door which opened after being pressed.  The Grand Knight returned the key to beneath his robes and the two of them walked in and smelled frankincense.  Both of them moved to the center of the Inner Sanctum, breathtaking statues representing Six of the Seven Virtues were craved into the six marble pillars that supported this room, the only one absent was Faith.

They reached the center so marked with a bronze censer chained to the ceiling a bronze brazier beneath it bolted to the white marble floor.  When they reached that position a light flipped on behind Seven dressed in brown robes with wooden crosses around their necks and concealing hoods, the Inner Circle who lived cloistered beneath the monastery and of whom little was known.
“Paladin Focht, we know you are a new father but your duty extends beyond your family.”
“As you know Randis cannot keep pace with the refugees that stream in every day.”
“You have proven yourself before but we require you to lead an assault on the pirate's stronghold.”
“The Knights must take the initiative in order to satisfy the great need we shoulder.”
“Put the wicked to the sword and rescue their prisoners so that their darkness spreads no further.”
“Those that will serve alongside you are brave, they believe in you.”
“As do we, you leave at sundown.  All will be provided upon your departure.  Godspeed Peter.”

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #126 on: 04 February 2018, 14:24:18 »
Nicely developing!  Thanks for sharing
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #127 on: 05 February 2018, 00:00:13 »
05/17/3061 Location – “The Roost”, Wynn's Roost, Outworlds Wastes

The once prosperous world of Wynn's Roost had become a pirate's den of nearly eight thousand lost souls over which the Red Rooster ruled.  He may have had a different name at one point but on his world everyone just called him “Red” for his distinctive dyed Mohawk and preferred color palette. 

Red walked around the small pirate town celebrating their latest raid against the Draconis March world of Hazelhurst which led to the capture of an Aqueduct Dropship that had been filling up at one of its vast lakes complete with a full grain store in the hold.  Enough to help feed his pirate world for a year and enough fresh water to drink, with plenty to trade.

Red swaggered into the Roost's watering hole to cheers and then he waved and called for quiet, “Attention everyone! Very important news,”  pausing for effect, “Drinks on me tonight!”  The inside of the saloon exploded with applause, the clientele a varying sort of malcontent, piercings and prison tattoos mixed with poor fashion sense and too much chrome.  The Pirate Lord walked up to the well worn wooden bar behind which stood a black man wearing a rough leather vest and fancy feathered hat, “Steve, How much whiskey can one make with three thousand tons of grain?”
“More than you can drink in a lifetime Red.
”  The barkeep handed him a cloudy glass bottle of rye which Red raises over his head, “You heard the man! Who's up for a challenge!”

5/19/3061 Location – CHS Swift Bait above Wynn's Roost

Star Colonel Raina Montose was aboard the Fredasa Corvette as the vanguard of Khan Drake's proposed (Ice) Hellion invasion.  Her task force's jump-ships and the Carrack CHS Maker were covertly establishing way stations back to the Home Worlds but they needed a stronger base from which to launch an incursion and support the Clan's civilian caste.  She had been put in command of this Warship in addition to the 40th Hellion Lancers and this world was one of the targets he proposed after investigating old Star League charts.

She looked over the sensor feeds the planet was mostly abandoned, small farming villages and wildcat mines surrounded a small town where a Union, Trojan, and Aqueduct drop-ship had located at a rough spaceport.  No doubt carried here by the Invader ship that two Points of her Elementals had seized at the Nadir Jump Point and which still remained there.  Those ground-side refused her hails and that made her angry, she slammed her fists on holo-table, “If they will not answer we will just go down there ourselves.”
Her subordinate Star Captains Gavin Vorobiov and Dominic left to ready their trinaries, leaving the Warship and it's fighters under the command of Star Captain Law De Geode.

5/20/3061 08:09 Location – “The Roost”

Red was woken up by a a door slamming open, his latest floozy whom he was sure was just named “Pretty” beside him still naked, her dirty blonde hair a mess across the pillow.  In his drunken stupor he grabbed his pistol and shot at the empty space expecting someone to be there, “Who the ****** wakes me up before Noon!”

A voice off to the side of the door shouted, “Sorry Red but there's a Raina Montrose outside town asking who's in charge.”
“Did you tell him?”
“Its a her but she wants to talk to ya?”
“Did ya get everyone else?”
“Aye Cap'n”
“Fine I'll be at my mech in five minutes.  Now get!”

He kissed “Pretty” on her cheek, “Sorry baby, daddy's gotta kill somebody, shouldn't take long”

Red walked outside his petty manor and up into the cockpit of his modified Archer 5R Battlemech, powering “Big Red” up and walking out to where the rest of his reinforced Mech lance and tank company waited.  Ten other Mechs stood outside the shabby town's boundaries, “This is Captain Red, whattayawant Raina?”

“This is Star Colonel Raina Montrose of the 40th Hellion Lancers, I am issuing a Trial of Possession for this world on behalf of Clan Ice Hellion.  What forces do you defend with?”
“These ones.”
“I will just bid my Star against your forces then Captain Red”
“We gonna fight or just talk!  This is the Red Rooster's turf!”

With that the pirates ran or flanked out of their assembly area and into the open field beyond.  Red's Archer facing off against Raina's Stormcrow C.

Red charged forward letting loose a volley of thirty long range missiles and shots from his lasers.  The lasers managed to hit, melting ferro-fibrous armor off of the Star Colonel's omnimech, his missiles impacted behind her and near the Hellion B dodging most of the fire from a Panther and ripping into a Commando.  She returned fire, her pulse laser cutting a jagged streak across the pirate's mech, her auto-cannon shells missing by less than a meter.

Red's cockpit was warming up he watched the ambient temperature rise in his Neurohelmet's HUD, he might be a deserter but the DCMS had taught him how to fight and win, he would endure.  He backpedaled trying to keep more open ground between himself and this Clan warrior but her Mech was too fast and was closing the gap.  He cycled his weapons firing a volley of fifteen missiles and the opposite arm laser, both connected center of mass missiles crashing throughout the torsos which staggered the smaller mech and exposed structure but it was still advancing.  Raina's pulse lasers and auto-cannon connected in the right arm and left leg cutting deep into the armor.

A Wolf Hunter D brought down the Shadow Hawk by slicing it's gyro, to fast for the Hawk's weapons to impact reliably, while anti-missile systems knocked down it's small missile volleys, shells from the cannon tore up chunks of dirt as the beleaguered pirate tried to stop the swift mech and failed faceplanting into the mud.  The Commando went up in an ammo explosion as heavy lasers melted it's weak armor finding the missiles, the pilot ejecting and landing in a small pond nearby.  The Panther had taken one of the Hellion's arms off with a lucky PPC shot.  A pair of Mist Lynx Bs were tearing up the tires of four Hetzer tanks taking only three minor hits from eight Scorpion cannons while dodging fire from a Pirate Swayback and Watchman.  A Thunderbolt was engaging a Shadow Cat Prime and had managed to damage the swift hard hitting omni, holding it's own as the battle raged around it.

Red's mech cooled and he let off another alpha strike on the Clan mech, his long range missiles impacted but hadn't armed causing the projectiles to clatter uselessly onto the ground, slagged armor fell and steamed in the damp grass.  Raina had run forward coming within the 180 meter arming distance for the missiles and connected with everything, the Archer stumbled as its thick armor melted or was blasted apart, the pirate managed to stay upright but had to take a hard impact that made his teeth chatter crumbling on the Mech's knee and arm to avoid tumbling backwards.  His cockpit's temperature climbed and the armor indicators were yellowed, this fight was going the wrong way and he remembered why he ran away from his post in the first place.

Around him most of the hetzers had been incapacitated by motive hits and the Wolf Hunter engaged the Pirate Swayback and Watchman who were now trapped between it and the Mist Lynxes.  The one Hellion was in the middle of melting it's Panther foe, the light mech's structure was exposed, the pilot unable to track the quick mover.  The Thunderbolt's missiles and lasers connected with the Shadow Cat causing damage to it's laser arm but the Gauss rifle was wearing down the heavy mech who was to slow and heavily focused on mid range combat to engage the swift long range fighter.

Now free to engage the hostile mechs the Mist Lynxes and Wolf Hunter jumped over the pirate Swayback and Watchman changing places and hit with everything, the mediums taking heavy damage from both lasers and missiles.  Big Red stood back up from it's kneeling position and tried in vain to track the Stormcrow which stayed to close  for missiles and out of arc for one of his arm lasers.  The one laser hit melting more armor off the clan mech's leg an ugly scar appearing over the white and blue paint but the Star Colonel hit with everything again and knocked the Archer down this time, slicing through the myomer actuators in it's legs.  Red willed it to stand but the mech refused and fell with a great crash throwing gravel up in it's wake.

The Stormcrow loomed over the fallen Archer it's autocannon pointed toward his cockpit, “Captain Red, this is Star Colonel Montrose, it appears you are defeated.  Power down now, I will take you as a bondsman and your people and world as Isorla or die.”

He was outclassed even with three on one odds with light and medium mechs, even if they somehow won there was at least another five mechs waiting in the wings, there was no chance for his pirate band but for him to take the bond-cord.  If more Clans were coming it would be slightly better to cooperate they couldn't be as bad as the Smoke Jaguars, “I yield Star Colonel, The Roost is yours.”

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #128 on: 05 February 2018, 06:49:29 »
I'm surprised , no executions of bandit caste

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #129 on: 05 February 2018, 18:57:42 »
I'm surprised , no executions of bandit caste

They actually didn't recognize them as pirates because it was actually fairly orderly if crude, they didn't even break Zell.  Regardless the Hellions require information from the locals so they live, at least for now.

The Grand Duchess

03/22/3066 08:01 Location – Verdant Manor, Minette, Federated Commonwealth

Grand Duchess Yvonne Steiner-Davion woke up to her alarm in the newly constructed Manor that was her new home and that she had only spent a few weeks in prior to going to New Avalon to visit Katherine who would shortly depart back to Tharkad.  The view was picturesque the complex nestled deep in the old growth forests of the planet that was now the capital of the Periphery March, so unlike many of the other candidates deep in the Outback who were more known for sand and rock rather than greenery.  The rough-sawn timbers and softening lines of fabric a suitable comparison for her new identity created over the past three years through too much blood, sweat, and tears. 

The air was crisp and clear filled with only the sounds of the woodlands as she dressed and strolled through the gardens filled with flowers, some were imported transplants familiar from Castle Davion but most were local.  Prior to it being named the capital of the Periphery March and Katherine’s crash construction of varied infrastructure while she was on Point Barrow, the planet’s main export had been rare cultivars hand raised in one of the planet’s greenhouses.  It was mostly self-sufficient and there were plenty of fertile plains that were yet undeveloped with new mineral resources being discovered now that more attention was being paid to the world.  A perfect place for expansion and poised at the cusp of a major colonization and development drive under her rule. 

That perk was been one of the main draws that her and Katherine had discussed when figuring out where the new Periphery March would be based, close enough to communicate with New Avalon but central enough to make it a viable crossroads, both conditions had dramatically shortened the list.  Not all of the locals had been immediately receptive but the promise of more development and opportunity had persuaded them as well as her natural charm.

Nikolai was waiting in the garden dressed warmly against the morning chill, never sleeping in ever.  Not even looking towards her but just by hearing the rustle of her dress, “I continue to see why the staff had you sleep on the East side of Castle Davion Yvonne, you are a late riser much like the sun in Winter” He was working on his latest painting from the open courtyard that faced over the ridge that the Manor had been constructed upon.  “For someone who spent more than half his working life at night you turn in rather early in your retirement.”

“Hah! Retirement.  Another class of Federation Marshals begin their training tomorrow, plus my duties to you.  I try to practice my true work in between, besides I can’t paint at night.  You have to catch the light in the morning,” dabbing his brush into his handheld palette, “on both sides of the rising sun for best results.”

Yvonne walked up off to the side admiring the view, “I feel as though you may have had an undue hand in the way this Manor is arranged Nikolai.”
“I only offered suggestions Grand Duchess, mostly security related, from experience.”
  Dabbing his brush again, “Do you not like it?  Perhaps Katherine should raze it and rebuild."
“No I am quite happy with everything.”
“Then I am as well.”
“Did you know that Katherine has a daughter Nikolai?”

Continuing to paint while conversing, “I did not, amazing that she found the time with her many duties.”
“It is, but she never told me about her before and she was five.”
“Perhaps wise considering how many times both of you have nearly died.”
“But that means she was just a toddler when Katherine came to New Avalon and she still put herself in danger for me.”
“What of it?”
“What if she died and Morgan didn’t have a mother?  I don’t think I could deal with that, make that decision.”
“Well fortunate for you that your sister was willing to brave the Davion Guards to save you even at that potential cost.  I’m afraid there will always be tough decisions to make Yvonne.  It is your job now to make them as Grand Duchess of Minette and the responsibility is yours alone there is no Prince’s Champion out here and New Avalon is far away.”
“What’s not far away is breakfast.”
“Amen to that Grand Duchess I will join you in a few minutes just let me finish this cloud before it leaves my sight.”

04/07/3066 12:00 Location – Minette MetalWorks Factory, Mainland, Minette

Minette even as the capital of the Periphery March still had only a small trade presence because unlike Filtvelt or June it never had a large industrial sector until 3064 when the MMW plant opened up.  As the newest and most advanced plant in the Federated Suns the tooling had been brought from as far as Coventry to supply the Outback Legions with newer equipment than the hand me downs they received as militia units.

Hauptmann Yvonne Steiner-Davion showed up in grand fashion with her helicopter squad to the Minette MetalWorks Factory located outside the Mainland SpacePort.  Her tan flight suit and sunglasses made for a great photo op with the workers of the plant as she gave a rousing speech thanking them for their hard work during the difficult transition phase and for the hard work that lie ahead because of their efforts the Federation Marshals, Militias, and Outback Legions would stand ready to protect against any pirates or bandits that would threaten their worlds and aid their fellow Marches should the call come from New Avalon.

Brand new Changelings (55t SFE, 5/8/5) were the star attraction and reason for her visit to the facility, their production was the last phase in construction. Twenty of the freshly manufactured Omnimechs stood painted in the Tan and Gray colors of the Outback Legions equipped in varied configurations while saluting the Duchess, alongside them were Wasps, Voles (30t SFE, 4/6/4, LL, ML, 2 SRM2s), Enforcer IIs (LB10X, LL, DSH, StdArm w/ CASE), and Watchmen Battlemechs, Thunderbeast Tanks (45t, FCE, 4/6, LBX10, SRM6) and a company of Cavalier Battle Armor formed up on the other side, ready for Parade inspection.  Yvonne felt much more confident now that the factory was officially completed and production was ramping up.  She walked down the gray ferrocrete assembly area followed by Marshal Reitmann, formerly of the Royal Cavaliers now Supreme Commander of her March Militias and asked her questions.

“Marshal now that the Archon-Princess has dramatically downsized the March Militias what did you do with the excess equipment?”
“There was not much excess equipment Grand Duchess at least for us, the Outback Legions received most of the gear and some of it was transferred to the Knights of Randis or Marshal Service as you requested to help combat the many pirate bands.  We will replace the gaps with production from here and Filtvelt, the Changelings alone should fill out most of the need the Legions have.  A few of the test models were sent ahead to the Knights for combat testing last year, by all accounts they performed well.”
“Good I’m glad that things are going smoothly, this is my March now and I intend for it to prosper and be secure.  We are about to embark on perhaps another Golden Century of growth and it puts my mind at ease knowing that at least that part of it is in good hands.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #130 on: 06 February 2018, 19:51:49 »
10/17/3061 00:58 Location – CHS Trapper, en route to Gwithian

Bondsman Red is on the gantry surrounding a Wolf Hunter aboard the CHS Trapper formerly a Nova Cat Overlord-C before it's seizure in the wake of the Cat's Abjuration and the resulting feeding frenzy.  Two Trinaries of the 40th Hellion Lancers, their support, and the Watch contingent remained on Wynn's Roost with a rough map from the Red Rooster's Jumpship and pirate group in which to raid nearby Outworlds Waste or Draconis March worlds for additional colonists and provisions.  Despite the fact that Red had put the best man in change while he was on the yearlong possibly one way trip to the Homeworlds he was concerned that his group wouldn't be there, if and when he returned.  His hair had returned to its natural black and he had been forced to cut the Mohawk down to a short strip of hair that ran down his head.  Now wearing a blue jumpsuit he was attempting to pry a stubborn access panel that refused to bulge.

“You really should try one of these,” Technician Paula said slowly elevating to the scaffolding aboard an electric scissor lift handing him a hook attached to a comealong.  “Thanks Paula, I didn't know you had those,” she held her ears and looked at him strangely, “What is it?”
“It is those contractions please stop being so vulgar.”
“Right I forgot you are all really touchy about those things.  Seems strange, curses are curses, you would be amazed at my vocabulary of such things.”

Red put down his prybar and attached the comealong and pumped it eventually breaking the panel cover before beginning to check the rainbow vomit of wires, “Reminds me of my service to the Dragon.  Everything was broken all the time, had to maintain my own machine with nothing more than basic hand tools and spray adhesive.”
“You were a Mechwarrior for the Combine? And you took care of your own Mech?”
“I was Blood in the Water, Fifth Amphigean Light Assault Group, shattered to pieces fighting the Ghost Bear rather than the Davion Devil.  Escaped with my Jenner and fought until I could no longer win, then I just hid and waited for a DCMS raid, got rescued then deserted.  Of course I maintained my own Mech!  The Pillar of Steel started getting rusty around my section we were glad when we had enough armor and food.  Who do you think took care of that Archer?”
“That is just strange, you are the first inner sphere person I have met.  Sorry for all the questions.”
“No Clan Mechwarriors take care of their machines?”
“No that is the Technician Caste's job.”

He got real close and looked around, “How are any of them still alive then?  Couple of mis-calibrations, lapsed maintenance cycle, the reactor running a little too hot and then you guys take over.”
“We do not think that way.”
“Fortunate for the Warriors then, that is why the Combine Mechwarriors all the way up to the Coordinator help take care of their own machines.  We would have been long dead otherwise.”

Paula whispered, “Your Technicians would kill a Warrior by negligence?”
“In a heartbeat if he pissed them off long enough.  Now are you just going to stand there or help me splice these cables?”
“Well I hope they do not kill our Warriors?”
“What do you mean?”
“I was a Nova Cat before the Abjuration, our banishment from the Home Worlds for siding with the Second Star League, Star Colonel Montrose and the Ice Hellions trialed for some isolated enclaves in retribution for the death of Khan Taney.  We just could not get out fast enough.  Now the Nova Cats live in the Combine and I serve the Ice Hellions.  What was it like?”
“Unpleasant, I am afraid I cannot recommend it.  I would rather be a pirate than return, not just because they would kill me.”

10/21/3061 06:00 Location – Gwithian Colony

The small former Nova Cat garrison had been expanded slightly by the CHS Maker while it was in orbit mostly by putting more former Nova Cat and Smoke Jaguar Laborers and Technicians on it.  The Aqueduct CHS Montrose set down on the other side to take on water before being sent to another surveyed world that would soon be the next target for the CHS Maker, its crew composed of Pirates and Hellions.

The Potemkin CHS Coterie was scheduled to arrive by the time they made it to Hector and establish as large a support base as it could.  The CHS Maker returning to Hector before venturing out again to some other world surveyed by the Nova Cats or Smoke Jaguars which had borne the brunt of the Hellion’s post refusal revenge rampage seizing supplies, sibkos, and survey data and sabotaging said data to ensure it would not be used again.

Star Colonel Montrose, Bondsman Red, and the staff aboard the mostly empty Trapper stepped out onto the Ferrocrete landing pad.  A raw looking man with brown hair greeting them, a fellow Warrior though his uniform was different, Abtakha Nova Cat Gray compared to the Star Colonel’s White, “Star Colonel, we did not expect you back so quickly, have you completed the initial survey already?”
“I have Star Captain Vozka or rather my Bondsman Red has provided me with sufficient information to send to Khan Drake.  I trust you have made sure this colony is ready, is the HPG still active?”
“Aff Star Colonel, the Enclave has been hard at work ensuring this station can manage the Khan’s planned transfer.”
“Good, Did the Diamond Sharks or Snow Ravens return this way Star Captain?”
“Neg, Star Colonel Montrose, we did expect them to and were prepared to disappear should they appear but they may no longer have interest in the Abjured Nova Cat’s holdings.  No doubt the Sharks already have their own way stations and the Snow Ravens have the Bear’s stations.”
“I fear they may return.  We cannot have either of those Clans figuring out what the Ice Hellions are planning, quiaff”
“Aff”
“Good take me to the HPG I have to send this data to Khan Drake immediately.  Bondsman I will find you in the Technician’s quarters, quiaff”
“Aff Star Colonel Montrose”

Red, Paula, and most of the other onboard technicians waited for a truck to come around and loaded their gear inside.  The Technician’s barracks were small and relatively new having been constructed when the colony was founded but none of the Techs had many possessions.  Everything was stashed and they were on break for another three hours.  Red walked around his new surroundings there was no escape for him but he was happy to at least be back on solid ground after spending months in space.

10/22/3061 07:19 Location – Training Site A10, Hector, Kerensky Cluster

Khan (Ale)Xander Drake was completing his morning exercise in full Salamander armor.  It was his favorite suit type, one of the reasons he was sent as part of the joint redevelopment of the armor by the Fire Mandrills having won their respect despite his smallish size for an Elemental Trueborn, he was more driven, smarter, faster, and no less deadly than any Elemental save perhaps Lincoln Osis but he was dead so it passed to him. 

Scaling the icy wall with his razor sharp battle claws was the way he relaxed, each strike into the wall a death blow or practice for ripping armor plating off.  There was nothing like the thrill of battle especially for an Elemental Warrior.  He longed for a chance to fight in the Inner Sphere and win the Glory that had eluded him for so long but he settled for burning Dark Caste and Snakes for now.

He cleared the wall jumping off the 150 meter cliff and using his jump jets to slow his descent, breaking right in stride toward the test range where silhouettes of infantry, tank hulks, and a Mock-Up of the hated Timber Wolf loomed.  He burned each with the Flamethrowers under his forearms, ripping their burning remains with his claws until there was nothing but ash.

As he watched the Timber Wolf burn he told himself, "Soon the Inner Sphere will burn and the Hellions will rise from its ashes.  We will no longer be denied, our time is now."

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 07 February 2018, 10:21:41 »
04/19/3065 17:18 Location – Hope, Randis IV

Paladin Peter Focht had only the day to spend and say goodbye to his wife and daughter before reporting to the Hope City Spaceport.  As he was being driven in the open air transport he saw a massive dropship of a type he had never seen before next to the Trojan KORS Azure Knight both silhouetted in front of the setting sun.  He turned to Red Master Galahad Frews in a neighboring seat.  “Sir, what is that?”
“That Peter is a Lee class dropship I found on Eminence a decade ago.  It has been newly refurbished in the Commonwealth’s Challenge Yards courtesy of the Archon-Princess.  She awaits her first battle in a long time and couldn’t ask for a better master.”
“I’ve never seen anything like that before”
“You wouldn’t have.  That Dropship is nearly four hundred years old.  May be the last of its class in the whole of the Inner Sphere.”
“I have command of that vessel?”
“Yes Paladin, the Deus Vult is yours to command, may our enemies cower at its name.  Your orders and everything else is already inside.”
“Our enemies may not live long enough to spread the word.”

05/17/3065 HPG message from Paladin Peter Focht to Daphne

My beloved Daphne, it pains me to be apart from you and our daughter but I am going to make a better world for her and us.  The Deus Vult is performing well and as much as I loved our travels together the time spent in this spacious can feels longer without you by my side.  Much as I did before we met I spend many hours in quiet contemplation and study.

The men are eager but most have not been battle-tested.  The Grand Duchess’ gifts were not expected to be put into battle without additional training but our passion will win the day for us.  I do not wish to send them into battle against the craven thieves that haunt the dark void between worlds but I am The Paladin of Randis and it is my duty to hunt them and ensure they never feel safe again. 

I will return when I am done and I pray it will be a swift victory so I can be with you once again.

With Love,
Peter, your Knight in Shining Armor

07/17/3065 18:38 Location – Glumgutter District, Haven, Pirate’s Haven

A smoky speakeasy was nestled amid the shantytown known as the Glumgutter district of Haven, A large scarred man with a dusky complexion was dressed in the colors of “Bloody” James Kaiten, the Pirate Captain of Haven, speaking to the bartender, “I tell ya it’s tough to be a pirate these days.”
“You’re telling me John.  Rotgut ain’t free and if ya’ll don’t get nothin’ I don’t get nothin’ but trouble and unpaid tabs.  Speaking of which put your POEs down if ya want another drink.”
“You know I’m good for it Terri”
“I only trust my mule leg nowadays.”
“Fine guess I don’t need to eat today.” John put his pieces of eight on the counter and Terri poured him another drink from an old plastic jug.
“Ever since that new band showed up and hit Port Kirin and Tortuga went dark this has been the place to go but pickin’s slim out there.  Between those Knights and those damned Marshals in the Concordat and Outback Legions in the Suns been tough to get something big.”
“Maybe you should pick up those Letters of Marque from the Black Robes.”
“Nah, those guys creep me the ****** out Terri.  All even and robotic, feels like I’m making a deal with the devil just to talk to ‘em”
“Dishonest work’s dishonest work.  Hear the terms are at least good.”
“If I wanted terms I’d still be a mercenary.”
He slams the plastic cup onto the counter, “Too bad the Feddies got Lady Death she knew how to run a pirate band.  James’ good but we’re all gonna starve before he plans his next hit.”
“If you’re lucky John, might catch a bullet first.”
“Well then all my problem’s solved, see ya next time Terri.”

John walked back toward the Pirate’s base in the center of squalid shantytown passing all manner of patchwork shelters and businesses while avoiding trouble.  He saw a couple people get shot, another was stabbed, others rushed in to deal with the mess, wasn’t his problem.  A loud sonic boom echoed over the town and he looked up to see twelve Aerospace fighters heading toward the base.  He paused for a moment as he heard the bombs drop contemplating multiple actions as the town devolved into unorganized chaos.

07/17/3065 20:11 Location – Haven Town

Paladin Peter Focht trampled over a shabby dwelling, the Knights of Randis had been working their way through the Town their Battlemech’s towering over the corrugated metal and shoddy wood buildings that sprawled across Haven.  The KORS Deus Vult was guarded by a company of Knights and the Aerospace Fighters had strafed and bombed most of the large concentrations of “Bloody” James Kaiten’s Motley Fools damaging or destroying them.  Another company guarded the spaceport proper and the half dozen dropships that had been caught unawares by the sudden and massive attack threatening them with fiery death if they tried to flee or fire upon the Knights of Randis. 

A small Auxiliary force had seized many of workshops of Vengeance Incorporated complete with partially constructed Brigands, others lie in ruin after being crushed by the Knights.  They would bring the tooling back to Randis, it would provide a much needed boost to the security industry there.  Only Paladin Peter’s company pressed forward and even then hesitantly, attempting to limit civilian casualties but making peace with the fact that some may perish in the ensuing firefight.

His blue and silver modified Warhammer 7M/S picked its way through the empty streets, the inhabitants of this dreadful place waited to see what would happen.  He activated the Mech's PA, “Inhabitants of Haven, this is Paladin Peter Focht of the Knights of Randis.  We are here to liberate you from your oppressors, if you are harboring pirates we recommend you send them out so that we may deal with them.  Otherwise we will not go easy on you.” and put it on loop broadcasting it to fellow Battlemechs as they picked their way through the dusty paths leaving massive footprints in even the hardest soil.

Peter was keeping a wary eye for ambushes his company was advancing beyond the support of the others at the Spaceport and the tangled mess of roads made any kind of organized assault difficult barring of course trampling houses that might be occupied by civilians.  A Randis Centurion was hit by a massive rocket barrage from some unknown vehicle.  He watched as the Mech disintegrated under the assault and had a moment of relapse to Lyons, reliving the reason he exiled himself, he was sweating looking at Bellerive burning all over again. 

He snapped out of it as he heard the voice shout, “Peter!  Peter! They're coming”  Multiple contacts were approaching nearly fifty Pirate Mechs and vehicles approaching not caring for the buildings they trampled or knocked down in their wake.  “I see them Lord Knight Henry, bring half of the Second Company in to cover our backs, keep the remainder on alert in case they try for the drop-ships.  First Company engage at will.  Watch each other's backs, these men are pirates they will cheat if given the opportunity.  Third Company push the perimeter out, the Deus Vult and Azure Knight can handle themselves for now.  Angels standby for close air support.”

Peter's Warhammer advanced into the melee keeping alert for hidden guns and fired both ERPPCs at a Pirate Panther staggering the smaller patchwork mech which collapsed into a nearby building.  His mech was the most powerful of his command and drew fire.  A pair of Pirate Valkyries launched their missiles at him, his paired AMS would have knocked most of the missiles down before they reached were they aimed better instead the warheads threw up a great dust cloud.  The PPCs fired again throwing high speed particles that ripped into their armor scattering them.  A Hunchback was lumbering toward him but was knocked down by a pair of Knight Centurions the mech quickly switched targets and began to advance toward them instead.  Around him the Knights engaged targets of opportunity over the shanty town a massive explosion marked the death of a Pirate SRM carrier causing major damage to the neighborhood.

The Warhammer advanced toward it's real target the Akuma battlemech piloted by “Bloody” James Kaiten, its Oni head painted with a clown's makeup.  The rest a ghoulish motley much like an ancient jester already charred and damaged by the Angels initial bombing run.  “Attention all Knights, James is mine for now, watch my back.”

The Pirate Captain came in over the radio in a lighthearted but ominous tone, “What was it Paladin Focht right?”
“Yes, Captain Kaiten we're here to put an end to Pirate's Haven.”
“You have a sweeeet dropship there, I can't wait to see what's inside.  You know after I kill you and all of your Knights.  You guys have been bad for business.”
"It is about to get much worse for all your kind Captain."

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #132 on: 07 February 2018, 17:25:01 »
06/22/3066 11:42 Location – Sonnebrunne, Weingarten, Wolf Empire

“Pull!”  Two bright Jade Falcon Green clays launch over the limestone cliffs of Sonnebrunne, in quick succession they are shattered the pieces landing in the cerulean waves below.  Vladimir Ward watched from the adjacent shooting position as Katherine ejects the cartridges from her finely crafted over-under shotgun, “Fine work, this skeet shooting is enjoyable, blasting Jade Falcons has always been.”

Katherine, Vlad, and Krauser were all carrying shotguns with vests almost empty of shells protecting regular clothing, “I am glad you are having fun Vlad, unfortunately Marialle has a truer experience taking them down on the wing.  I made the planetary finals for Tharkad, missed by one shot to go to Provincials.”

Vlad and Krauser finish up their final round and the three of them left their places to return to their picnic site.  Morgan was playing with a doll while Sieg and Alaric played catch with a baseball, all under the watchful eye of Katherine’s assistant Lisa.  A large picnic blanket spread out on the springtime grass, the sun shining only occasionally interrupted by clouds. 
An Anhur VTOL slowly descending to the House’s helipad, Krauser noticed it first while taking off his vest and placing it back on the truck, “Were you expecting anyone Khan Ward?”
“Neg, Baird go and see who it is.”

“Aff, my Khan,” the young Technician running back toward the house.

Katherine stood behind Khan Ward still with her shotgun in hand, “I wonder who it is Vlad.”  Not long after Baird returned and they saw the distinctive features of Wolf Loremaster Katya Kerensky in her gray and red wolf uniform as she walked across the field to them.  The same Katya who was supposed to be serving as an envoy to Khan Fletcher, managing the training camps, and most importantly being far away from Star Captain Katherine.  “Shit!  She is not supposed to be here.” 
Katherine pulled a pair of shells from her vest and reloaded her shotgun. “I do not think that is necessary Katherine”

“With all due respect my Khan I think you are mistaken there is only one reason for her to be here now.”

She got closer and looked at the assembly in disdain, “Loremaster Kerensky you have come a long way, would you like a drink?  I am sure we find us another glass.”

“I would not like a drink Khan Ward.  I come here to speak with you and my rogue Watch Captain Katherine.  I think you are growing soft spending so much time with her.”

“I assure you Loremaster I have not grown soft and never will.  I am the Khan and Second Founder of Clan Wolf, I rebuilt this Clan from the ground up to be the ilClan.  I will land on Terra at the head of the Wolf Pack.”

“And yet you just flitter the time away with this chalcas bitch and your twisted spawn with her!  Look at all of you, all of this!  This is not the way of the Clans!”

“Clan Wolf has never been stronger and we stand poised for greatness.  You know that the scientists mix worthy freeborn genes into the program.  Why should Katherine and her trothkin Victor be any different?”

“It is different, this is wrong, you know it but she has convinced you otherwise.  Seducing you with her promises and soft features.”

“Who I couple with is no concern of yours Loremaster I think you may be envious.”

“Envy, no I am Aggrieved I demand a Trial against her, I am the Loremaster and Warrior, she is nothing more than a freeborn Merchant caste at best.”

“I deny it.  Your charges against her are baseless and you are derelict in your duty to the Clan Loremaster for coming here.”

Katherine kept her shotgun at the ready watching Katya intently, “My Khan this women will never relent, she has grown mad.  I have taken my Trials to be a Warrior, my codex is up to date you (pointing to her) trained me and I haven’t changed since those fateful months.  The scars from your training are still there, just covered. I would accept this trial if the Khan and Council willed it.  My terms are your position.”

“What!?  You would dare to challenge me for my position.”

“Star Captain Katherine Wolf challenges Loremaster Katya Kerensky in a Trial of Position for Loremaster of Clan Wolf.  I bid myself in augmented combat with staves and un-powered blades against you.  How do you defend?”

“I accept your challenge Star Captain Katherine.  The Trial will be at the Clan Hall on Tamar in front of all the blood-named and true Warriors of Clan Wolf.  My prize is your death freeborn.”

Both women simultaneously, “Well bargained and done.”

“I will need to summon the Bloodnamed for such a Trial.  Baird how quickly can all gather on Tamar?”

Baird looked over the comm-pad in his pocket, “saKhan Raddick is three weeks out at least with Alpha and Beta Galaxies.  Omega Galaxy remains in the Homeworlds but there are no remaining blood-named among their ranks.”

“Very well then, you know when the Trial will be Katya.  Obey my standing orders and return with saKhan Raddick.  I will personally ensure that Katherine arrives on Tamar at the appointed time aboard the Blood Moon.”

“As you wish my Khan.”

Katya returned to the Anhur leaving everyone except Vlad and Katherine shocked.  Vlad grabbed the bottle of wine from the ice bucket poured himself a glass and began drinking it.

“What?  I have been waiting for this for a long while.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 08 February 2018, 09:08:29 »
06/31/3064 Location –Gwithian, Deep Periphery

Khan Xander Drake and Loremaster Jonas Cage of the now Abjured Ice Hellions stand around a small metal table, the holographic projection of their route back to the Inner Sphere displayed in the dusty air occasional motes of dust marring the 3D image.  The room is otherwise stripped of anything just bare gray concrete walls and floors with the shadows of past furnishing.  The small Elemental and Mechwarrior both wore blue and gray camouflage uniforms, the Ice Hellion patch on their sleeves ripped off and yet to be replaced.
“My Khan, this facility has served its purpose well.  I was uncertain we could move the main Clan out of the Homeworlds so quickly but our way forward is settled now.  It is unfortunate that we were forced to abandon so quickly we could have used more time to establish ourselves. Regardless there is no return for us, we would be set upon by our enemies immediately.”

“You are correct Loremaster Cage, there is no return for us.  The Kerensky Cluster is not where the Clans were destined to stay regardless of what some believe.  We had enough time to take what mattered before the Sovereign Right and Absolute Truth arrived over Hector, fortunate for us the Adders did not deem us worthy of their attention sooner.  Zeta Galaxy's final assault hopefully did significant damage to them.” 
Khan Drake turned off the holo-projecter and packed it back into it's carrying case grabbing the handle. 
“Kerensky demanded that we return to the Inner Sphere when the time was right and I will not have the Council telling me otherwise.  From the moment REVIVAL was approved the old way was done, we have only one choice now and we can either follow or lead.  Our relocation was agreed upon by the Bloodhouses and I executed it as swiftly as possible in true Hellion fashion.”

“Indeed only you could have convinced Kindraa-Mick-Kreese to aid us with the Fire Eater and Rancor in exchange for some of our Enclaves.  That alone saved us perhaps a year.”

“I did not earn the Cage's Cross without some gift of diplomacy, something especially important with the Mandrills.  Despite their fractious nature their pack bonds within Kindraa are strong, we Hellions certainly have a long history of fighting among ourselves, I can relate to Andrew Kreese's struggle with Bodee Beyl at least at a high level.  I have no idea what the dispute is actually over, likely something foolish.”

“I am certain of it Khan Drake”

The two men walked out into the orange tinted light of Gwithian taking in the sweet lake air and the planet's unique scent.  The exterior of their subterranean barracks was an active work sight, cargo trucks carted the frames of the temporary barracks into a Mule transport.  An Aqueduct was parked at the water terminal drawing another load to take with them.  The Foreman in charge of this operation stood outside his radio coordinating the final tear down of this colony.  “Foreman Owens, SitRep?”
“Normal, my Khan we will be ready to lift off in an hour.”
“Good I am going for a quick run, I will meet you on the ship Loremaster Cage.”
“Aff Khan Drake”

Xander ran around the small lake that had been surrounded by Ferrocrete, the Laborers had expanded this garrison during the first phase of their relocation Nova Cats building upon the labor of other Nova Cats on behalf of the Hellions.  Since then the temporary barracks had been stripped, his group was the last relocating to the Inner Sphere world of Wynn's Roost and would be the last to use this particular site.  He completed his circuit taking time to breath deep of this planet's fresh air, there were only two other planetary stations over the next twenty weeks.  He boarded the Mule which lifted off toward the looming shape of the McKenna Cage's Pride.

Three hours later aboard the CHS Cage's Pride

Khan Drake was suited up in his Salamander Battle Armor in one of the ready rooms, the monstrous armor was one of the more powerful in the touman and there were hundreds of them in storage aboard this ship, one final trade with the Mandrills before they departed the home worlds under duress,
“Star Admiral Slyusareva are we in position?” 
“Aff Khan Drake, we are standing by for your order.”
“I am going to go outside.” 
“Neg Khan Drake that would be too dangerous you can watch it just fine from the bridge” 
“I want to see it with my own eyes, I never shy away from danger, stand by for my order”

Xander checked each of the four magnetic claws in turn all were green and switched the operating mode to Zero-G allowing his jump pack to adjust automatically based on the specific key movements that controlled the waldoed arms and legs.  One last check for integrity, the Harjel that flowed between his armor plating would fill any void but he wanted to check the seals once more because it was in the standard operating procedures.  All Green, with that he cycled one of the external maintenance airlocks used by the Technicians when they went “out for some fresh air.”

The Salamander crawled across the McKenna's thick armor plating quiet as a ghost even the gray of his new suit matched the plate's coating.  A specific sequence was needed for Battle Armor when on the hull of a Warship but it was just like climbing the cliffs of Hector but far more exhilarating.  He came upon the place chosen and disengaged the arm claw's magnets pushing off to a standing posture, his jump pack firing slowly to counteract the force.  Gwithian loomed large before him and he felt a sense of awe at the size of the planet, the Warship, and himself, a lone figure clinging to a bit of metal in the darkness of space preparing to light it up for the briefest of moments.

“Star Admiral fire when ready.” he keyed the radio off and watched the four NAC40s and NL/55s impact the former colony turning it into a fiery crater and told himself, “Burn all our bridges back, the Hellions are reborn.  A passage worthy of the Remembrance.”

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #134 on: 08 February 2018, 15:42:41 »
interseating that the ice puppys are moving to the IS also along with many other clans. The twist on the pisates are fun to see though and the waynas rooste group is pretty tame it seems at least. Nice updates for stuff going on.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #135 on: 10 February 2018, 01:10:59 »
09/17/3065 11:00 Location - 2nd Free Worlds Guard HQ, Vankateswara, Tamarind, FWL

Commanding General of the SLDF Photon Brett(-Marik) exits the cockpit of his Awesome 9Q, his olive drab fatigues and raven black hair dripping with sweat from the notoriously hot but powerful Battlemech.  The rest of the company that was taking part in today’s training exercise is similarly docked with the gantries that fill this massive hanger.  Locally built Patron LoaderMechs beginning to reload their ammunition to start again after lunch.  His aide LtJG. Hector Guerro was waiting for him as he was on his way to the chow hall wearing the OD fatigues of the SLDF, “General, high priority package arrived while you were out.  I’ve been told you must receive it immediately but figured it could wait till you completed maneuvers this morning.”
“Is it in the office?”
“Yes, sir the courier is waiting to deliver it to you personally.”
“Can you go grab me a plate Hector?  Somehow I feel like this is going to take a while.”
“Yes sir, I’ll meet you in ten”

Photon didn’t even bother returning his cooling vest to its locker before returning to his office to see a SLIC courier with a briefcase cuffed to his wrist. “General Brett-Marik pleasure to meet you.  Special Agent Case, SLIC.  Orders from the First Lord approved by the Captain-General.”
“I’ll take those orders.”
  Photon used his special access code for orders from the First Lord of the Second Star League a post currently held by Christian Mannson who narrowly was chosen instead of Katherine Steiner-Davion whose Federated Commonwealth lost a vote when she unified it.  Inside the courier’s briefcase were five thick folders marked Top Secret that he would have to work through today. “Thank you, I presume your business is concluded here.”
“It is General, I will depart in two days if you wish me to courier a message back to Orestes.”
“Enjoy your stay on Tamarind Special Agent I will call if I would like to send something back.”

18:19 Location – Brett Household, Vankateswara

The Vankateswara Military Base is a sprawling military complex complete with everything a soldier needs including housing for his family.  General Brett’s house was surrounded by desert but it had a certain beauty to it with a xeriscaped lawn of succulents and flowering cacti that kept his wife Samantha happy.  His now ten year old son Anthony was playing catch with his friend in the backyard practicing for the school baseball team.  Now he was on the phone with his father Marshal Jeremy Brett of the Tamarind Theater.

“They're sending me back to the Combine Dad with six regiments, Guards and Militia the Coordinator doesn't trust the DCMS on the Ghost Bear Front anymore, orders came in today, apparently I impressed Theodore Kurita and Khan West with my performance last time, lucky me.”
“How long and when?”
“At least till the end of sixty-seven, I have a month before we're ready to move, might be able to push two before I need to leave for Wolcott.  Can you or Reggie take care of Samantha and Anthony while I'm away?”
“Of course son, they could go to the Combine with you.  Over two years allows your family to come, standard procedure.”
“No I want them to stay far away.”
“Why?”
“Sixty-Seven is when the Truce ends.”
“Son we've had fifteen years to prepare, it won't be like last time.”
“That's what I'm afraid of Dad.  It might be worse and it was bad last time, hell it was bad on Irece we lost so many just to stalemate them and that wasn't even the full force of their armies.  They've had time too, they might come out guns blazing on New Years for all I know.  I don't think this will end until we blow up Strana Mechty or they kill each other trying to reach Terra.  Until then I want Sam and Tony to be on the other side of that conflict.”
“I understand Son, I will be sure to see you off and Samantha and Anthony can stay here until you come back safe.  Don't worry about them, enjoy the time you have before you leave and be sure to return on leave when you can.”
“Thanks Dad, I'll talk to you later, I'm not going to tell her for a few more weeks so she doesn't worry.  Her paintings get mournful when I'm away, I much prefer the vibrant her.”

02/17/3066 11:27 Location – Edwards Provincial Polytechnic, Marcus, Crofton, Federation Outback

Sarah and Ian (who is now 9) Ruiz walked through the halls of the polytechnic it was a curious looking building, she didn't like the “modern” architecture, but it was pleasant enough and built for efficiency.  The facility was brand new having been rebuilt by a consortium of smaller companies and the Outback Development Trust on a university site that had been demolished during the Succession Wars.  The faculty recruited from some of the top technologists within that consortium to fill the void of commercial technical education in the Outback that would stymie any attempts to expand their operations with the Development Trust's money (which is substantial).  The two of them walked up to a frosted glass and aluminum door Fabian Denòt, Cascade Waters was inscribed in black letters outlined in shiny silver and opened the door.  A handsome man wearing a blue polo shirt and khakis with black hair and blue eyes looked up from the paperwork on his desk.  “Hi Sarah, hi Ian”  He stood up while Sarah walked over and gave him a kiss, “I knew I would find you here.”
“Sarah you know as well as I do that these papers don't grade themselves plus I am helping manage the ongoing water project downtown.  Standard delays, 'ack I don't know why schedulers don't just add two months and collect a bonus if it's early.”
“I know that's why I brought lunch and Ian.  You have time for both right?”
  She set down a lunch pail and unpacked it on a metal side table where her and Ian sat.
“Of course I do, Was just finishing up these tests.  How's school going Ian?  Must be strange to have your mom working there.”
“It was a little bit but now my friends just try to get transferred into her class.”
  grabbing a sandwich from the lunch pail and taking a bite while still talking, “I made the Football (soccer) and Judo teams.”
“Ian don't talk while eating that's gross”  Ian swallowed before continuing, “I got a kiss from Jessie Brooks too on Valentine's day, she said I was cute.”
Fabian worked his way over to the table sitting down and patted Ian on the back, “Way to go kid!  Sounds like a keeper.”
Sarah was shocked, “You didn't tell me that Ian!”
“Mrs. Willow didn't tell you.”
“I will have a talk with her on Monday.”
“How about you Sarah anything new?”
“Just the same old thing, teaching fifth grade to the children of Marcus City it's definitely different than the prairie school on Antietam.  Although now I have to keep an eye out for all the oh so sweet and innocent little girls at school that have eyes for Ian.”
“I'm sure he'll do just fine Sarah we all have.  If you didn't happen to be in my hometown I don't know if we would ever have met and I'm so happy that we did, who would have thought that things would work out so well.”
he touched her right hand, a sapphire and platinum engagement ring on the ring finger, “I guess love at first sight is a real thing after all.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #136 on: 12 February 2018, 00:45:35 »
09/15/3064 17:32 Location – Ghost Island, Harminious, Magistracy of Canopus

Arthur Steiner-Davion worked his way through an obstacle course, the heat and humidity of this jungle island as well as his desire to mess with Erdé had resulted in him doing it bare-chested to show off his tan.  She watched from the little observation post as he vaulted walls, crawled through muddy tubes with pinching insects in them, climbed the cargo net, and swam across the water hazard that Erdé swore didn't have sharks in it.  This course was far more challenging that that of the Robinson Battle Academy's or was it that he was still recovering from his injuries, no definitely tougher.

She was there at the finish line, her caramel skin and dancer's body flattered by a turquoise short sleeved top and tan pants with a camouflage boonie hat on covering her short black hair, handing him a water bottle, he was tempted to hug her and get her all wet and muddy just because he could but decided against it and drank from the offered bottle.  Erdé avoided looking at him instead paying attention to her comm-pad linked to his bio-chip, “Very impressive Arthur, I wasn't sure you were in the condition to complete that course.  I kept the rescue squad on standby.”
“Thank you for your confidence Commander Centrella.  What's your course time?”
“I've never done this course, it is one of the more difficult ones in the MAF.  I'm a doctor remember?  Some of the commandos didn't think you could do it either but you showed them.  There was even a pool.”
“I'd love to see what the most difficult course is.  Ziplining over a magma field naked while real bullets are being fired around you, something like that.  Do I win anything for completing the course.”
“I think it is in space actually.  Something about if you fail you don't get another chance to try.  You'll have to talk to Angeles he was the ring master.”
“I will have to face him down on the court later.  Are we done for today Erdé.”

She put the comm-pad back in the large pocket down the leg of her pants, “I suppose we are, back to the main complex for a shower and set of new clothes for you.  I will even clear you for duty, there is some more work to do but you're healthy and I don't believe you require my assistance as a doctor.”
“You are a great doctor Erdé, thank you for all of your hard work and tough love.”
“I did try to make this miserable for you initially that was petty of me and I apologize.  I was just really angry at my mother for leaving me here.”
“Do you even know if your mother is going to come back?”
“She'd better, she owes me a vacation.”

Arthur offered his arm to her, “Well we should start now, this place used to be a vacation health spa.  We can start with dinner after I clean up.”  Erdé looked at him curious, “Really?”
“Well Dr Centrella since I no longer require your assistance as a physician perhaps you wouldn't mind being my date instead, can't be unprofessional if I am no longer a patient.”
“I'm certain there is no ethics board to threaten my license on this planet considering the business they do here and I suppose I have nothing else to do tonight.  I accept your kind offer Prince Arthur.”
“Fantastic”
  She took his arm but forgot that he was still muddy until he pulled her close and dirtied the side of her outfit. “I should have known this was some kind of truck!  Now I have to change too.”
“Oh, terribly sorry senhorita.  I'm afraid I don't have a diverse wardrobe so you will have to find something in tan or green so that we match for our date.”
  She gave him a stern look but the damage was done, they continued back to the building splitting up shortly before coming within sight of it.

09/18/3064 21:07

Erdé and Arthur had spent the last few days “vacationing” around the island, it was a scenic place unspoiled by development except within the base's grounds.  Today Arthur had “requisitioned” the use of a dune buggy so they could get around and to see whether or not he remembered how to drive.  Several intentional near misses forced Erdé to grab the bars with white knuckles but they were not in any danger.  They had driven to the far side of the island and were watching shooting stars, listening to a crackling fire on the beach, while the ocean breeze blew gently over them as they sat next to one another in the dune buggy's bed. 
“This is really nice Arthur, Danai and I used to watch the stars around Canopus when we were kids, I really miss her I haven't really looked at them since then.  I still can't believe my mother let these Smoke Jaguars live within the Magistracy I don't know what I would have done but I have a really hard time forgiving their many sins against the Inner Sphere.”
“If it wasn't for those Jaguars I would be sixty percent cyborg instead of what twenty percent?  Maybe your mother just saw an opportunity to save more people with their technology than they killed with it.  You've seen their tech up close, it can almost work miracles think of all the good it could do.”
“It's sixteen percent actually, I don't know.  I want to believe that they can do good with it but I just can't hide the ugly truth that I may never forgive them.  Your brother died on Strana Mechty too.  How did you deal with it?”
“I never really knew the man, my brother Victor grew up almost entirely in the Lyran Commonwealth, him and Peter were hardly around or sent anything other than birthday cards. Victor was only on New Avalon for a year or two, he was always on the move, on campaign. Peter went missing so quickly after our mother's death, I only remember him as the serious older brother at Castle Davion that Katherine enjoyed teasing before he went to boarding school.  Only my sisters ever paid much attention to me, my little sister Yvonne and I were inseparable until my dad died,”
he put his head in his hands and cried, “then I just couldn't bear to stay on New Avalon anymore and I left her all alone.  I'm so sorry Yvonne I should have stayed, maybe things could have been different.  Victor should have let you go to Tharkad to be with Katherine.  You were always so sweet I couldn't bear to face the fact that I've wronged you so, that's why I stayed away.”
She grabbed him and held him close both of them crying over lost loved ones, “You have a second chance Arthur, make the best of it regardless of what happens.”

09/21/3064 08:47

Erdé and Arthur were both sleeping on the couch looking out over the ocean, the ashes of a campfire occupied the ring on the beach, the breezy bamboo bungalow had soft white linen sheets hanging over the elevated deck.  She was still clothed when she woke up next to Arthur also still clothed though his shirt was open exposing his chest hair, her head cradled in his strong arms.  Months of personal training, nutrition, and chemical growth factors had given him an even tone and special attention made the cloned limbs look just as natural as the original.  She looked over and saw he was still asleep and attempted to free herself but he wouldn't let her go. “Really!?”

He was groggy and looked back at her, “I guess we had a really good time last night.  Don't remember much, something about a fire on the beach and perhaps to many drinks.” 

“Are you going to let me go?”

“I don't know.  Are you sure you want me to?”  She thought about it for a moment.  She had hung on his every word while had explained how he wanted to be a good Prince that would help the citizens of the Federated Suns and the whole Inner Sphere his passion, rhetoric, and sense of duty appealed to her.  Arthur wasn't some warlord in the making that was going to bathe the Inner Sphere in fire like his Father and they had shared their innermost secrets with one another for the past week since they had stopped having a professional relationship. 

He was bronzed and fit his red hair cut short, far more handsome than when she first saw his pale and sickly form on the basketball court.  All around a very charming and handsome Prince, but she really needed to go to the bathroom.  “For now at least.” 

He let go of her and they did their business, both of them had taken over this empty building for the past few days while awaiting additional orders and transport, there were plenty of actual vacation resorts on the planet but they only had a small boat and there was no way they could reach them without aircraft or shuttles. 

They had attempted to cook in the small kitchenette rather than walk far to the main mess hall and it had failed miserably but always in laughter, they continued to try regardless just for amusement value.  Now changed and walking to the mess hall after another dramatic failure that had nearly resulting in the kitchen catching on fire, they ate breakfast and walked back,
“So what do we have planned for today?”
“Catamaran”
“What is a Catamaran?”
“It's a small two hulled sailboat with...basically a hammock in between.”
“I'm afraid I don't know how to sail.  There are not many Yacht clubs on Robinson.”
“Just do what I tell you when I tell you to.”
“I'm picking up a common theme.”
“You should to be used to it by now.”
“It was very painful otherwise.”

She turned toward him with an entrancing gesture walking backwards until she was up against a tree, “I'll make it up to you...I promise”
Following with the act Arthur acted spellbound until they were intimately close.  They exchanged a kiss so fierce and powerful that it knocked the breath out of her as she was pushed into the tree, “Do tell me more,” more kisses, “however you desire,” more kisses, “as long as you require”

After their short but intense make-out session both of them rushed to grab their camping bag and cooler then boarded a small catamaran.  Erdé's beauty in her string bikini with a gossamer thin cover distracting Arthur whenever he looked back at the rudder, Arthur was wearing board shorts and a loose striped top manning the deck and doing her bidding. 
“That is just not fair Erdé. How can I pay attention to your calls when you look like that?”
“Well unless you want to get lost at sea you will just have to get used to it.”
“I can definitely get used to it, will never stop being distracted though.”

They sailed for one of the small islands that was near the facility but beyond prying eyes, the anchorage was calm and they disembarked to walk around the island until they found a nice campsite near the boat.  Both of them had spent nearly every day of the past week on a camping excursion so it was swiftly ready for both of them.  They shared a bottle of wine and their prepacked dinners before heading back into the tent where only a dim light shone over their naked bodies. 

She worked her fingers down his chest tenderly, “You know this might be our final night together, who knows when my mother will return.”
He caressed her lower back in return working his way down, “Hopefully she's delayed, I might need more personal attention, my heart might burst, I almost died you know, don't want to take any chances.”
“I'll be sure to give you extra special attention Arthur, but I want you to give me something in return.”
“What is it?”
“Your heart...forever.”
“They can always clone me another one but this one is yours, Erdé Centrella”

The light dimmed to darkness as sparks flew from the campfire outside and within, shooting stars and the tides came and went before a small motor could be heard approaching.

09/22/3064 07:19

Emma Centrella walked off the small boat that had arrived from Ghost Island that morning.  Wearing a colorful bikini top and sarong, her custom fitted sandals crunching the sand beneath them, still looking magnificent for 56. 
“You say he's over here Andres?”  She walked up the small inlet and saw the remains of a campfire and a pitched tent nearby. 
“I better wait, it would embarrassing for me to walk in on her again.  It would be the fifth time.” 
“Sixth time your Radiance.” 
“That's right the girl from the coffee shop!  Poor girl, Erdé walked another two blocks for three months to save her from the embarrassment.  Don't know why, she was rather pretty.  Bring my chair.”

Arthur was first to emerge about an hour later naked, he cleared his eyes and looked out to see Magestrix Emma Centrella sitting in a teal backed beach chair filing her nails using an emery board.  She looked up momentarily,  “Good morning Arthur.” 
He was dumbstruck, “Magestrix Centrella?”
Still hardly looked up, “Yes”
He walked over toward her but she was still looking at her red fingernails, “What are you doing here?”
“I was making sure my daughter and you were fine.  Tracking chip, we will of course take it out.  I try not to snoop if I can help it but you were very expensive and I didn't want to lose track of you.”
“You put a tracking chip in me?”
“Yes, like I said very expensive, worthwhile of course.  I trust you found my daughter's company enjoyable.”
“I did, she is very special.”
“She has a big heart and wants to make a difference in the world, I'm afraid she won't be a good Magestrix though, the choices I make are...difficult at times as you well know, Almost First Prince.  You can stay in the Magistracy as long as you desire.  I'm not going to pressure you into doing anything, just a loving mother doing the best she can.  I assure you that even if we had the technology to use you in some malicious manner I would refuse to, it's not my way.”
“What if I still don't trust your intentions.”
“I would consider that prudent.  You don't know me, I hardly know you.  You weren't exactly talking when I saw you last but everyone I spoke to last night said both of you got along perfectly.  You can stay with her, come with me to Luxen, or go back to New Avalon if you wish.  I'm sure your sisters would be surprised by your sudden return.”
“I don't know if I'm ready to face them yet.  I want to figure some things out before I see them again.”

She looked up at him hardly noticing his nudity as she got up from her chair, “Like I said, the Magistracy of Canopus is well known for it's hospitality.  Even now I host thirty million refugees from the Aurigan Coalition, dreadful plague, you are unlikely to have heard about it on Robinson.  Pirates assail us from all sides, the Free Worlds League, and Marian Hegemony grow in strength.  Each year new threats multiply and adapt.  I have thrown my lot behind Sun-Tzu for protection and because Naomi loves him but I hedge my bets.  There is too much at stake for me to not be ever vigilant for opportunities and plan accordingly.  I want peace in our time, at least for the Magistracy if I can do it elsewhere I will try.  That is my top goal and think it is a worthy one.”
Erdé opened the tent also naked but her hair was in her face, “Who are you talking to Arthur?” She brushed it aside and went instantly red, “Mother!  Why do you always show up at the worst times?!”
“I'm just having a chat with your boyfriend here.”  She dodged a weakly thrown sandal as another hit Arthur in the back, Emma hid behind him, “Perhaps I should leave, just bring my chair back please.”  Emma peeked out from behind Arthur and shouted toward Erdé, “Ciao darling, mommy will see you soon.”  She quickly returned to the motorboat and departed before Erdé could throw something really damaging at her besides strings of insults in six languages.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #137 on: 13 February 2018, 10:29:32 »
07/13/3066 18:00 Location – Governor’s Palace, Tamar City, Wolf Empire

(Archon-Princess) Star Captain Katherine Wolf (Steiner-Davion) was starting to hate mirrors despite the many hours she had spent gazing into them over her lifetime.  She wasn’t sure why but recently it had been harder to keep control of herself and the reflection in the mirror seemed further from reality. 

The Katherine of nearly ten years ago echoed in her mind, the last time she faced down a clanner in combat, bruised, bloody, and possessing of a passionate and feral rage.  A beautiful and terrible monster in the making courtesy of her former rival now foe that had been metered out over the years but that would soon burst forth and be known to the Universe.  She wasn’t sure what would come forth on that fateful day but it would be different just as it was the day after her many other rebirths.

The woman in the mirror now looked more like her mother and that enraged her.  She had done everything to take over every aspect of the woman’s legacy and resign her to the dust of history, replaced her as the Archon and was to replace her as an advisor for Victor. She was her own mother to her clone Morgan and had thought of making a clone Victor but decided against it, he would weaken the beautiful sibko that she and Vlad had created, their first of perhaps many which would soon rule over the Inner Sphere.  Even her own sister Yvonne looked upon as closer to a mother than their own since she had brought Morgan along, little sister would do whatever she wanted which was to now be pretty and busy with her project.  Melissa, Katrina, and Hanse’s plans and resources were now Katherine’s and she was using them better but she could never escape the fact that for now people still lived, and had power that remembered that Melissa had been there first.

All her anger at the woman had shifted to Katya now that she had accepted her mother’s death as a necessary step to plans that were tantalizingly close to fruition.  Katya’s death would be the same, the Wolf was becoming an obstacle to her and she could not allow her to ruin everything she had done and in the process doom their Clan.  The fact was that Vlad had given her all options to escape as Katherine was replacing her, but she had refused them so she brought this upon herself.  It would be an apt showdown in two days, she would kill a Kerensky and in the process complete her takeover of Clan Wolf, it was almost poetic.

07/15/3066 07:00 Location – Clan Wolf Hall, Tamar City, Tamar, Wolf Empire

All 1087 Bloodnamed Warriors of Clan Wolf were in attendance numbering among them Wolves, Falcons, Snow Ravens, Coyotes, Goliath Scorpions, and even Ice Hellions all dressed formally awaiting the first major trial in their history since the Refusal War.  The setting was once the University of Tamar’s Tigers Basketball Arena but now Imperial Wolf Banners hung from the ceiling, dark blue with gold edging, the Wolf Empire Ensign in the middle.  Khan Vladimir Ward sat in a Throne wearing a golden fleece over his shoulders in addition to the formal leathers and saKhan Marialle Radick stood below him in her ritual garb close to where Loremaster Katya Kerensky and Star Captain Katherine Wolf stood under the lights.

Katya had chosen to remain in the old Wolf colors despite the new rules regarding uniforms wearing a red tank top with the old Wolf Clan emblem and gray battledress pants, her blonde hair was cut short even though she hadn’t worn a neuro-helmet in the five years since Vladimir took her Delta Galaxy Commander billet away handing it to Dirk Radick making her a full time Loremaster. 

Katherine wore a golden tank top with the new Imperial Wolf emblem and blue battledress pants, her ash blonde hair had grown back and was pulled into a braid, she hadn’t been in a battlemech since the Battle of New Avalon for fear that it might cause major neurotrauma. 

Both women were equally tall nearly 1.9 meters tall and despite the fact that they were not actively fighting both Warriors had stayed in shape and looked ready to kill each other which is why they were here.  Each had a hardwood staff that reached slightly below their shoulders and at least one knife somewhere on their body per the conditions of their trial.

saKhan Radick took the stage, “Bloodnamed of Clan Wolf, we are gathered here for the first major Trial of Position since the Refusal War.  Before Star Captain Katherine and Loremaster Katya Kerensky begin we must poll for its prize.  Are there any among you who would not allow a freeborn to become the Loremaster of Clan Wolf?  You may query Katherine with any questions you have regarding her judgment or the nature of our rites and traditions.”

Thirty blood-named queried Katherine Wolf to ensure that she was capable of performing as Loremaster as she had so audaciously challenged.  The answers received were to their satisfaction due in no small part to the fact that Katherine had crammed Jamie Wolf’s books and suffered through ten weeks of training before graduating as a Star Commander.  A count was issued with only 22% against, with their approval and several seylas the trial moved to the next stage.

“Loremaster Kerensky, have you words to say before the trial begins?”

In a short but fiery speech Katya denounced the False Wolves for being led astray of their traditions by a chalcas freeborn, careful to avoid direct challenges to Vladimir and Marialle.  For her trouble there were boos and hisses from the stands which only made her angrier.  She was furious for having misjudged just how deep the cult of personality around Khan Vladimir Ward was, he was called “The Second Founder of Clan Wolf” and “The New Kerensky” which was blasphemous to her and many in the Kerensky Bloodhouses but which Katherine’s propaganda agents had spread throughout the Empire.  Those same agents were careful to stifle any rumors of her involvement in his decisions to reduce the reluctance of the Council.  No one dare oppose his judgments, even his enemies had accepted their fate in the Omega Galaxy that would likely be absorbed at some point.  All except Katya, who was now seen as the outsider and there were calls for her to run to the Freeborn Khan if she was displeased with the ways things were done here.

Thoroughly riled up Katya attempted to catch Katherine off-guard swinging her staff hard enough to crack the other woman’s skull but the Star Captain had expected this and rolled out of the way before coming back to her feet ready to fight.  Marialle jumped back into the stands to avoid being struck in the ensuing melee.  Katherine locked eyes with Katya blue on blue, her tone menacing “How very rude of you.  You might have hurt me.”

Katya and Katherine faced each both staves ready to strike, Katya was icy cold, “Wouldn’t that have been unfortunate.”

The two of them moved in a circle as they traversed the floor, totally locked on one another as they switched guards and stances as the crowd waited with baited breath, “It didn't have to be this way Katya, you could have just moved on.  We gave you enough chances.”
“I should have killed you in training freeborn, once I saw how he looked at you.  He would have just forgotten in time now he just forgets.”

Katherine opened with a thrust aimed at Katya's lead foot, both women were barefoot to emphasize the rawness of their challenge, the Wolf expertly evading while her counter-thrust was parried, the two staves creating a large clap as they impacted.  “No one forgets me, I tend to leave an impression.”

Katya feinted low and Katherine went for it, the Wolf hooked her front leg tripping her before bringing her full might down on an overhead strike which Katherine blocked and which caused a massive clang, a small number of warriors cheered.  The Wolf was on top of her instantly, pressing down with her own staff and driving Katherine's over her throat in a brutal battle of strength.  Katherine worked her core, dropped her staff and grabbed Katya's throwing her off before rolling up, a larger number of warriors cheered as they watched the action unfold from the jumbotron.

Katya kicked the discarded staff away before adopting a open handed stance, choosing not to draw her knife.  “Very impressive freeborn, I don't remember teaching you that.”

“I never stopped learning from the Bodians, I knew this day would come.”
  Katherine was ready for any trickery, she was now the only one armed, but that didn't make Katya any less dangerous.

They cautiously circled one another until Katherine thought she had Katya's back against a wall with no way out.  She went for a sweeping attack but was surprised when Katya slide forward hooking her staff in motion while tossing her with a leg assisted throw before she could recover.  The staff left her hand and she crashed into the wall momentarily dazzled from the impact.  She recovered quickly and evaded a series of fierce thrusts from Katya's combat knife locking onto her knife arm with a death grip and unleashing a series of blows while both women struggled for position each seeking to reap the other and end the duel quickly. 

Katya reversed her grip and swept the knife across Katherine's back drawing blood along the way but causing little damage.  Katherine smashed her into the wall before scrambling away and drawing her own commando dagger, holding the razor sharp stiletto in an icepick grip knife back.  Katya recovered and transitioned smoothly into a mirrored stance, both women breathing heavily exchanging blows and shifting stances, mostly evading the other's knife though blood was flowing freely across both of them.

Katherine lunged with a thrust which was transitioned into a throw by Katya who was charging her immediately, charging right into Katherine's circling upthrust.  The stiletto burying itself in the Wolf's side, left unguarded as she attempted to bring her knife down on the freeborn challenger.  Katherine twisted the knife and stabbed again, this time up into the woman's subclavial via the armpit.  She withdrew the bloody dagger but held her close watching the life drain from Katya Kerensky's eyes whispering  “Your Wolves are mine now Kerensky" quietly in the dying woman's ear.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #138 on: 14 February 2018, 11:51:15 »
10/24/3064 05:31 Location – Centrella Penthouse, Luxen City, Luxen

Erdé Centrella and Arthur Steiner-Davion entered the elegantly appointed penthouse that was her primary residence.  They both carried bags but Erdé had burdened Arthur with her luggage which he was wheeling up the ramp.

“Home sweet home, for now at least.” 

Arthur let out a whistle as he took in the surroundings, the early morning cityscape of Luxen City looked gorgeous outside, the city was well known for the light shows that danced along it's skyscrapers.  Two semicircular floors of balconies looked out over the glass that curved back with neon lights outlining them. 
Arthur stopped wheeling the green bags, putting his hands in jean pockets as he looked up, “Wow!  This is yours?” 
Erdé turned to face him and gave a grand sweeping gesture that was emphasized by her purple blouse's long sleeves, “It's technically Naomi's but she and her things are on Sian for the foreseeable future.  Fourteen rooms, you can go into any of them except the Den.”
Arthur put his duffel bag on the richly upholstered black leather couch, “Afraid I'm going to ruin the Tri-Vid's presets Erdé?”
“It's not that kind of Den.”

Arthur pulled his hand through his short red hair confused, “What kind of Den is it then?”
She got real close and kissed him softly, holding it for a long moment, cooing “One you are just going to have to wait for dear.”
Pulling back and putting her hands on her hips while smoothing her black pants, “I have the key so you can't get in there anyhow.  Unless they taught you lock picking at Battle Academy.”
“Afraid not.”
“Good I'd hate for the surprise to be ruined.  Why don't you go upstairs and take the bags with you?  You can't miss the bedroom on the second floor, there's an elevator in that alcove over there.  I'll make some breakfast.”
“You tried to make breakfast on Harminious and failed miserably.”
“This apartment has a microwave, a toaster, and a fridge I doubt I can cause much damage.”

Arthur shouldered her bag and dragged the luggage behind him as he departed toward the alcove, whispering to himself, “I'll be sure to keep an ear open for the fire alarm.”

The elevator smoothly took him up one floor and Arthur worked his way across the luxurious black carpet to the richly stained door with brass fixtures.  He was feeling wholly inadequate, problem was he wasn't even sure how to class his wardrobe up, that was always something he asked Yvonne about. 

Opening the door into the master bedroom was exhilarating, inside was a king sized bed with red silk sheets and intricate nightstands, a Chinese print dressing screen occupied one portion of the room, a sliding smart glass door was opposite a mirrored wall, the bathroom had a gigantic soaking tub, expansive closets flanked the small corridor between the two rooms.  The lighting was soft and diffuse with a dimmer switch, the carpet was a soft orange, and the walls were painted tan.  He tossed his bag into the much smaller and empty “His” closet.

Arthur furtively opening the “Hers” closet to put Erdé's luggage in, nearly fainting at the sight of so many exotic and colorful things many he could not understand but knew enough that his heart was pounding just thinking about Erdé in or discarding them.  He momentarily thought of his sisters and whether or not they had a collection like that but quickly banished the resulting images from his mind.

He opened the glass door and stood out on the balcony looking out over the other side of their first floor which contained a hot tub, fireplace, and a fully stocked bar behind which dozens of bottles were back-lit by purple neon light.  Arthur walked around the balcony and watched as Erdé was preparing breakfast.  She rushed between the various appliances before she smelled the burnt toast, small pillars of smoking rising from the toaster.  He peered down at her, his arms relaxed on the balcony railing, “How do you still burn toast?”

Erdé looked up at him as she pulled the toast out of the toaster and onto a plate, slightly burning her fingertips.  She pointed a spoon at him, “I went to Medical School not Culinary.  If you want breakfast, you will have to make your own if you keep up that tone mister.  Now stop playing around up there, I have to leave for the hospital soon.”

Arthur returned and the two of them chatted about their arrangement now that he was her official unofficial consort.  Toast ruined they simply stuck with coffee, cereal, and microwaved breakfast sandwiches, “My friend Bartholomew will stop by around ten looking for you in the lobby, he's a bit handsy but I told him to keep it to a minimum.  You and him are going shopping, I can't have you walking around looking like that all the time.”
“What I am going to do here until then?”
“I suggest stretches and weight lifting.  We'll figure something out for later but keeping fit will help mitigate any lingering problems.  Your continued progress will be monitored at the hospital for at least another six months to give Ghost Island greater confidence in the experimental treatments you received.  I will be sure to forward my ...personal...intensive evaluations to them as well.”

Their breakfast talk concluded the couple kissed and Erdé departed leaving Arthur alone in the penthouse.  He tuned the Tri-Vid to Hardcore Gladiators and rang up the planetary HPG.  “Acolyte, I'd like to send a message to Colonel Nicolas Ramilie of the Ramilie's Raiders PMC out of Westerhand.
Colonel Ramilie,
I'm your daughter's latest boyfriend and I love her dearly but that doesn't make this less strange to ask. Man to Man, How did you keep a Centrella satisfied for nearly 20 years?  I'm running out of ideas in the first two months.  Is there a book that I should read?  Any help would be appreciated.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #139 on: 14 February 2018, 22:03:49 »
03/22/3065 16:19 Location – Centrella Penthouse, Luxen City, Luxen

Adonis Valentine aka Arthur Steiner-Davion, was suited up and providing Erdé Centrella with a fencing opponent, something they now did regularly that reminded Arthur of home.  She was nearly as good as his sister having trained with Emma extensively who apparently was quite skilled.

There had been a painful period of adjustment to now living as a faux celebrity male model/escort; the doctors at Ghost Island fixed burns and injuries to the face from the explosion and made some improvements Canopian style.  As the MIM agents had told him it’s likely only Yvonne, Tancred, or James that would be able to determine it was him without a DNA test and more from unconscious movements and mannerisms than appearance.

“I had to run away from another group of them (fangirls) today Erdé.  Why did your mother curse me with such an absurd name?” 

“Awww Adonis, I’m sure my mother had nothing to do with your new name.  It is however quite clever since no one believes you could be the supposedly dead First Prince.  Instead you are merely my handsome new arm candy.  You will just have to get used to it, apparently the women think my father must have been the best lover in the galaxy, since even now they clamor for him if they know Ramilie’s ‘panty’ Raiders are in system.  My brother must be quite happy with that arrangement.”

“You never talk about your brother or father.”

“I hardly know my brother, he is my father’s XO, and last I heard they were in League space.  My father and mother drifted apart unfortunately, a long distance relationship is difficult only made more so by lightyears and years of separation.”

“Yes a similar thing happened with all of us.  Only Katherine, Yvonne, and I ever seemed to get along though not at the same time or place.  Peter was always stuck in the shadow of Victor, and Victor, well he was Victor, the golden prince that was going to save the Universe.  I think it was too much pressure for both of them, being Archon-Prince of the Federated Commonwealth is a daunting task.  I certainly wouldn’t have minded just being First Prince, I’m sure that Katherine and I could work together.”

“I’m not sure how to tell you this Arthur but Katherine approved of your abduction.”

Arthur took off the fencing mask his features distorted in anger, “What!  Why would she do such a thing!?  I’m her brother!  She would have just let the Word of Blake take me?!  What was she going to get in exchange?”

Erdé removed her mask as well concerned, “I don’t know what she was going to get but Curatis told me about the message they intercepted that allowed MIM to get you instead.  Your sister did take over the regency for Yvonne, something that couldn’t have happened if you were still alive.”

Arthur put down his saber and helmet taking a seat on the couch head in his hands, “I can’t and won’t believe it, Regent is not the same as being the Prince.  Why would she do something like that?  I mean I have difficulty believing that Bishop would hold my sister hostage for six months too.”

Erdé took a seat next to him as he worked his way through the events as he knew them (from news vids), “Things just don’t make sense.  What was his endgame?  Marry Yvonne after torturing her, just kill her and take over, there was no way he was going to end up anything but dead, Jackson, George, or Tancred would have done it if Katherine didn’t unless they were in on it. 

I’m not saying that Katherine wouldn’t have liked to be Archon-Prince the right way but all she needed to do was five years of military service and she would have had it locked down.  She can pilot a Battlemech decently, if she had just posted herself to the Royal Guard after Victor left she would have five years faster than me.  She wouldn’t have even needed to leave Tharkad because she hates space travel.  She seemed quite happy just being Archon and running things in the background, and Victor did blindside her and everyone else with Joshua. 

She and Yvonne were so close, she spent nearly four years as effectively her mother on New Avalon after dad died.  Mom stayed on Tharkad still overseeing the Clan Front with Victor and Peter.  There is no way that she wouldn’t have secured Yvonne and spared her that ordeal if she was intending to murder me with the same plan.  I don’t believe Curatis Erdé.  I think he might have been lying to you.”

“But he is one of my mother’s most trusted agents.  Why would he do such a thing?”

“I don’t know but I intend to find out.  I’m sorry Erdé but I think your mom is hiding something from both of us.  This isn’t just about you and me.  Although I am so very in love with you and that won’t change but I need some answers.

What do you want with me Emma Centrella?”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #140 on: 16 February 2018, 19:19:43 »
08/17/3065 03:31 Location – Canopian Institute of War, Canopus IV, Magistracy of Canopus

Magestrix Emma Centrella and Arthur Steiner-Davion were occupying the same elevator leading to the Mech Bay beneath the Institute.  Both were dressed in black jumpsuits with turquoise accents, Arthur’s nametag read “Valentine, A.” but he had no rank insignia just the Magistracy crest, while Emma had a four gemstone cluster on her lapel instead of a gold one.  Her raven black curly hair was restrained by a scarlet tie behind her and the more he looked at the Magestrix and her caramel skin the more he saw Erdé.  The same Erdé who was off with the Magistracy Medical Corps on a Mercy mission to the Aurigan Coalition Refugees while he was recertifying as a Mechwarrior with her mother.  “I do enjoy being back in uniform Magestrix, but hate the name.”

She turned toward him looking up with her hazel eyes, “I will be sure to tell the girls at MIM, young prince.  I’m certain they can come up with an equally delightful one, but I don’t think you would like it more.  As for the uniform I am glad that you passed all the tests thus far, it gives me greater confidence in the treatment methods that we employed.”

The elevator stopped and they entered the deserted corridor walking past duty logs and briefing rooms, “I still don’t understand.  Why put all this effort into me?”
“Do you think that perhaps you weren’t worth it?”
“I don’t know if I am.”
“Be sure not to tell all the people that worked on your recovery.  I doubt they would like to know you were ungrateful for their efforts.”

“But why?” Emma stopped just before the door at the end of the corridor and looked at him, “You think that I perhaps have some sinister motivation behind it all, right?  That I intend to use you for something nefarious.”
“The thought had crossed my mind, after all your daughter is to marry Sun-Tzu Liao, the same Sun-Tzu that controls the Confederation that my Father nearly destroyed, that attacked St Ives, and attempted to reclaim the Chaos March until my sister stopped him.  How do I know this isn’t another DOPPLEGANGER ploy?”
“I know that this may be difficult for you to grasp Arthur but did you consider that I may just love my daughter enough to find her the perfect husband, or that I hate the Word of Blake’s Master with a passion because he attacked my nation, or that with your full recovery others might benefit, including the Magistracy Medical Industry.  After all I brought you back to life from near death.  If we can do that imagine how much good we can do for lesser cases.  The day you woke up on Selene was one of my proudest days, right next to when I became Magestrix and the births of all my children.  I was there, don’t you remember?”

Arthur thought on it, that day was confusing, waking up from a medically induced coma with numerous surgical scars in an unfamiliar hospital on the far side of the universe from where he last remembered.  It was surreal he did remember her voice but not her face.  “I remember.”
“See of all my titles and nicknames the one I prize most is Mother, the Magistracy of Canopus is a Matriarchy, which means it is run by mothers, not just women, and Mother knows best.”  Arthur felt a strange sensation but dismissed it as lingering emotion from thinking back to the initial stages of his horrifyingly painful recovery process.
“This is just so different, it just feels unnatural.”
“You will just have to get used to it.  Are you ready Arthur?”

He put a hand on the wall for a moment overcome with a feeling of vertigo but it passed quickly, “I am”
“Good, I am not normally a morning person but this is special.”  She opened the Mech Bay door and within were a pair of Battlemechs, a Lao Hu (Tiger) painted in an orange and black tiger stripe, and a Thug painted in Olive Drab with a set of Technicians at its feet. 
Arthur pointed toward the Lao Hu, “Is that your mech Magestrix?”
She stepped in front facing him framed by the angular Mech, “It is.  I couldn’t resist, and I am The Tigress after all”
He crossed his arms silently mocking, “Not a very effective camo pattern.”
She pointed back at him, “If I have to take the battlefield things have already gone horribly wrong.”  [i/]
Relaxing, “Something I learned early on in my career is, there is too much for a head of state to do, for them to do it in a Battlemech.  I keep current though, the Lao Hu or Tiger is one of the most advanced Capellan Confederation Mechs, named and partially designed by a Canopian team at the Victoria Academy.” 
She pointed at the Thug, “Her dance partner is yours.  I don’t want to call it a dowry because we don’t do that here, but I thought this unit would have an extra special meaning for you.  We almost had to rebuild it from scratch and made a few improvements, it was pulled out of a very old star league cache.”
Arthur started toward the Assault Mech, “You found this?”
Emma walked in front as the Technicians noticed their arrival, “Well I didn’t personally find it.  The Magistracy manages a large number of contacts with an interest in such things and has preferential arrangements in place should they find something interesting, while maintaining confidentiality, of course.”
The Chief Tech, a smallish man with black hair and blue eyes wearing gray coveralls, stood in front waiting for their arrival, “Mechwarrior Valentine this is Section Chief Cooper, Niops Technical Branch, here as an instructor for the Institute” the two men shook hands, “Pleasure to meet you Mechwarrior, a pleasure as always Your Radiance.”
“Thank you Chief Cooper, I trust everything is well with this machine.”
“Affirmative, maam”
“Good, please sync Mechwarrior Valentine to it and give him a moment to feel it out.  I’ll be outside.”

Emma walked away and spritely climbed the ladder leading to her cockpit.  The machine came to life with a roar of hot exhaust and then worked its way out into the early morning chill.
“Mechwarrior, I trust this is not your first assigned machine.”
“Correct Chief”
“Good it will save me a lot of time then, I’ve lost enough sleep already restoring this Mech.  Please follow me.”

The other Techs scattered while Chief Cooper and Arthur walked up the scaffolding, exchanging terse banter.  A brand new black and green Neurohelmet awaited Arthur in the Thug’s command chair while Cooper took up position on the side bringing the computer online for a neurosync.  His job completed, he stepped down and stood in front of the machine exchanging arm signals while the tech team monitored from the safety of a nearby cage.  “You are green Valentine, happy hunting”

Arthur sealed the cockpit and powered the Thug’s various subsystems up, leaving the armored cowling in its retracted position as he walked out of the Mech Bay into the pre-dawn darkness.  He would miss his jump jets but it was a thrill to be in a Battlemech again.  This machine was fully upgraded with a pair of six pack missile launchers currently loaded with smoke rounds, the ERPPCs were operating at half power, the Guardian ECM suite was currently non-functional, cooling systems reported a leak and rerouted the cooling oil, a few other minor gremlins, but not bad for being a piece of salvage and summer project for the Institute’s Techs.  The Thug cleared the Mech Bay and Arthur found Emma’s Lao Hu outside.  Her voice came in through the neurohelmet, “Are you ready to begin, Son?”

By reflex Arthur replied, “Of course Mother, lead the way.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #141 on: 19 February 2018, 19:17:29 »
9/17/3066 07:00 Location – Castle Randis, City of Hope, Randis IV

Paladin Peter Focht stood opposite Grand Knight Lucas Beckett the other Lord Knights of Randis around a large circular holotable.  Red Master Galahad Frews stood off to the side, taking well to serving as effectively the Knight's Loremaster as part of Beckett's clan influenced reorganization.  The rest of the room was spartan, gray concrete with no windows, tapestries bearing the Knights emblem of a sword surrounded by a wreath atop a book the only adornment, three large mahogany doors with brass trim closed and locked to protect the secrets spoken within.  All assembled were dressed in their red and black silk uniforms, swords at their sides, sweating due to the heat outside even though the Air Conditioning was on. 

Grand Knight Beckett spoke first, his deeply tanned and lithe form still carrying the grace and fury of a Smoke Jaguar Warrior even though he was at peace inside, “The Council is assembled Paladin, share what you have found.”

“Thank You Grand Knight, I have found several disturbing things to be true while I was away.  Things that may be a great danger to Randis and our mission.”
  He triggered the Hologram which cut the lights, a bright starscape of the local area slowly rotated in place each point of light a star, its color true to type.  Peter triggered something on his black metal comm-pad and the display rotated and zoomed in on a position Coreward of the Federated Commonwealth, displaying a system of four planets, “Here is Antallos, once one of the largest gatherings of pirates this side of space.  A place the Knights of Randis are familiar with but weren't strong enough to destroy last time.” 

A series of 3d video clips played out over the table showing a domed city flush with life even if it was of the lowest type of villain, but then it morphed into a blasted hellscape of shattered buildings and black glass, the gathered Lord Knights were visibly horrified.  “That is what I found when I went to Port Krin after interrogating Haven's Captain Kaiten.  I have sent a liaison officer to Grand Duchess Yvonne Steiner-Davion to notify her of what we have found and maintain a line to the Federated Commonwealth's Periphery March.  They have been gracious to us and this is grave threat.”

Yvonne's name had caught in his throat as he remembered how he couldn't bear to face his little sister.  Even before he had chosen this path he barely knew the woman who was now just beginning to hit her prime and who was called ‘The Sun Queen’ for her sweet personality and imagery regarding ‘A New Dawn in the Outback’.  In contrast to his older sister who was called many things but ‘Cold Hard Bitch’ or ‘Ice Princess’ were common.  He couldn't necessarily disagree with her critics but it still wasn't enough for him to return and take up the Archon-Prince title, he had left for a reason and he wouldn't return unless it was for a better one.  Peter still wondered whether or not they (The Commonwealth) would even accept him after being gone so long, it had been nearly twelve years since he went to St Marinus.

Lord Knight Brokas spoke for the gathered sub-commanders, “Paladin, what happened at Port Krin?”

Peter zoomed out from Port Krin and the display was filled with a rotating globe of Antallos showing the domed cities that had been destroyed, “A Warship blasted it and the other dome cities to pieces, according to the few survivors that we found.  We have footage of the guilty parties.”

The table came to life again, showing a five each of olive drab Salamander Battle Armor and Harpy Protomechs engaged in a fierce firefight near a concrete building, rockets and recoilless rifle shells pinning down the Clan units until two Piranhas and a Hellion arrived to terminate the threat.  The Piranhas’ total of sixteen machine guns made a horrifying buzzing sound as they tore through concrete and into flesh and steel.  When the dust settled there was nothing left of the building’s façade except a charred powder.  The videographer cut the feed shortly after, everyone hoping he made it out.  Another showed a pack of Clan Mechs tearing apart the Band of the Damned and Vinson’s Vigilantes.  The pirates never stood a chance and were defeated in detail, the ones that ran were run down and showed no mercy.

Everyone in the room was quiet for a long while, Red Master Frews piped in quietly but was clearly heard over the silence, “My God”

“Yes, this was all done by a faction calling themselves The Hellions.”

Grand Knight Beckett, a former Smoke Jaguar perked up at that name, “Wait!  You are telling me The Ice Hellions are here in the Inner Sphere?”

Peter keyed something on his Commpad showing the Tortuga Dominions and a similar hell-scape, this video showed a star of Piranha’s cutting down pirates through the streets, “You will know better than I Grand Knight but they blasted Tortuga as well.  They no longer call themselves the Ice Hellions just Hellions now.”

While the other Lord Knights were obviously concerned Lucas remained eerily calm, his square jaw in his heavily tanned hand, “They were a small clan hardly worth noting to the Jaguars in the Homeworlds but have a McKenna among other Warships, the Grand Duchess and Archon-Princess might be able to handle them but it will be costly.  They removed the largest pirate worlds for us but the fact that they did so with Warships is deeply disturbing. 

If they didn't call themselves the Ice Hellions then hopefully more might not be coming, they must have been abjured, just like the Nova Cats.  I am not certain the Inner Sphere could take all the Clans at once.  The Hellions weren't know for deeply thinking through their actions but are dangerous fighters when they work together.  You did good to bring this information to us and the Commonwealth Paladin.”

The holographic table returned to displaying the local area again, “The survivors also noted that they captured a large number of people and supplies before blasting the domes.”

Lucas eased slightly, “They must be rebuilding.  There might yet be time, they must have only recently arrived in the Inner Sphere, likely in the Outworlds Wastes and will not be ready for an attack.  I will send a report to the Grand Duchess with what I know of the Clan as soon as possible.” 

The Grand Knight zoomed in on the Wastes, long a haven for pirates and other nefarious persons though regularly patrolled by the armies of the Combine and Commonwealth.  “There are a lot of worlds out there, the Knights cannot search them.  We have nothing that can stand against even a small Warship.  I pray that the Grand Duchess can do something about this before they strike somewhere more important than pirate planets.  All we can do for them is maintain vigilance, now on to the next order of business.”

15:14 Location – Focht House, Hope City

Paladin Peter Focht returned to his home with wife Daphne and nearly two year old daughter Victoria having spent most of the day meeting with the Council and determining what would happen next.  The house had become well-worn now, the floors slightly scoffed, the cabinets and pantry fully stocked with preserves and comically mismatched plates acquired by Daphne from local artisans.  She was initially upset at no longer being a Knight but was adapting well.  Her willingness to help others had won over the reluctant neighborhood and she received gifts and useful tricks from other mothers in exchange that more than made up for any lost sense of pride. 

As good parents the whole residence was childproofed Peter had gone a little overboard according to his wife.  Little Victoria was a healthy trouble-making toddler now, capable of forming sentences so Peter had been ordered to watch his words lest she catch on and embarrass Daphne in front of the other mothers.  As she played with her blocks Peter and Daphne sat at the dinner table watching her, Daphne caught on that something was bothering him, “What’s the matter Peter?  You seem upset.”

Peter looked towards her fixating on her green eyes made all the brighter by her forest green dress her brown hair now was longer and in a loose plaid hanging over one shoulder, “I just can’t believe this is my home.  It never really struck me until now, I guess now that it feels like one thanks to you and Victoria.  I’ve always drifted or felt that something was temporary but this is ours…forever. 

I was just thinking of my family and all our problems.  We were never blessed with a normal home, I hardly know them and they don’t know me.  I don’t know if I can face them again.  I left for a reason but it’s not about me anymore, it’s about us. But would they accept me again?  A stranger with a stranger story.”

Daphne reached out held his hand still closed around the cup of tea he was drinking, “Of course they would, they are your family.  It should be that simple right?”

Peter got up and embraced her, foreheads touching, “My family is anything but simple Daphne.  Please don’t ask about it yet.  I’m not sure we are ready, but maybe soon.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #142 on: 21 February 2018, 01:27:16 »
08/27/3066 Location – Strategic Commander Center, Mount Wotan Military Reservation, Tharkad

The Top Brass of the AFFC was assembled deep beneath Mt Wotan in the bowels of Asgard.  The room was portioned out in four distinct zones and one wing of galleries.  Three of the four zones were occupied by soldiers in distinctly colored but otherwise identical formal uniforms.  Federated Suns Generals led by Jameston Gaston wore green and gold, Terran/Tikonov March Generals led by Senior General Alexei Volkov wore black and red, and Lyran Commonwealth Generals led by Adam Steiner wore blue and silver.  All five Fleet Admirals (Alarion/Bolan, Donegal/Skye, Terran Corridor, Cappelan/Crucis, and Draconis/Outback) and their staff watched from the gallery, wearing the blue and gold uniforms of the Commonwealth Fleet. 

Katherine had recently returned and command circuited some of them for a briefing this morning, there were many rumors as to what that meant.  The door opened and everyone in attendance watched her enter with a group of officers wearing in gray and red uniforms, LIC Alptraum Commandos followed behind.  The new arrivals took their seats in the empty zone and Katherine stepped within the holotank in the middle, she looked ghostly wearing a mostly white dress, her ash blond hair was loose and reached her upper back. 

Adam noticed something off with her appearance, freshly healed injuries that she hadn’t bothered to cover, “Katherine, how did you get injured?”

Her voice came in over the speakers, “I will get to that General Steiner,” she did a quick turn around the room eyeing the gathered Generals, “but you will tell anyone it was a skiing accident.  Affirmative?”

‘Ayes’ broke across the room, “Good, I trust everyone went over the documents I left for you?”

The Generals pulled out their briefings, “Are there any concerns with Plan V then?”

Many hands went up including the Top Generals of each Theater, “Adam”

General Steiner stood up as Katherine powered up the holotank she was standing in.  “Archon-Princess, I am concerned about putting the whole fleet on ARCLIGHT status.”

“What concerns you Adam?”

“I don’t like the fact that we are deploying the nukes throughout the Fleet, it makes me nervous.”

“As it should, but is it not better for us to have them and not need them, than otherwise.”

“I understand, but more than twelve hundred active nuclear weapons throughout the Inner Sphere.  Every one of the thirty Foxes upgraded with AR tens has sixteen of them.  The ten Avalons and three Mjolnir's would have nearly fifty apiece.  I am afraid it will get out of control.”

“Out of control.”
  Katherine triggered something on the bracelet she wore that displayed a blasted hellscape above her, everyone assembled was appalled at the horrific sight of the rubble and black glass.  “This came in via an urgent transmission from Minette two days ago.  We are awaiting a follow up report from ONI but preliminary analysis by the Knights of Randis indicate a faction called The Hellions was responsible, a rogue clan with a McKenna among other warships.”

A rotating wire-frame image of a McKenna battleship hovered over her which caused some of the younger colonels to gasp, “Their warships bombarded Antallos and Tortuga this year killing perhaps hundreds of thousands.  I have sped up the timetable for the Anti-Warship defenses around New Avalon itself and put the Fleet bases on high alert.  Some of the deployment tables in the Suns will be changed from what was initially planned for V in response to this new threat. 

We cannot fight Battleships without increasing our firepower and if more Clans come they will not hold back this time and neither should we.  Any additional concerns about that?”
  Several hands went down as the reality of the situation hit them hard their concerns about nuclear weapons dismissed after seeing the result of an intentional scorching.

General Gaston spoke up, “Katherine, These deployment tables look like we are poised to be on a total war footing.  I was also unaware that we have a dozen of these Zodiac class Transport Vessels.”

A wire-frame of the Zodiac Transport (META - Will post it in non-canon for perusal), “We are on a total war footing General.  I have great trepidation about next year. By 3068 the Inner Sphere will be a different place, I intend to be ready for anything.  As for the Zodiacs it is a larger more survivable Robinson class Transport, capable of carrying a Grenadier pattern unit and supporting it in battle, they were built out of Challenge Systems Traussin Yard.  My father started the program concurrent with the Foxes but he did not have the capability that we do now to finish the vessels.”

A different officer called out, “But do we have any intelligence suggesting that our rivals intend to move on us?  If we go on full alert they will as well, it might escalate dangerously.  They will no doubt be alarmed by the appearance of a dozen previously hidden Warships.”

The Inner Sphere appeared above her, deployment arrows populating according to the briefing papers, “They should be alarmed, as should you.  Look around you, the Free Worlds League and Draconis Combine have increased their cooperation dramatically.  The Trinity Alliance continues to grow in strength and even though their actions have been limited to espionage, sabotage, and guerrilla actions in the Terran Theater plus the invasion of The St Ives Compact, I fear they are more dangerous than we know. 

A shadow war has been going on since the schism and it is starting to heat up, the ROMs are fighting one another.  We are so exposed to hostile intelligence that I've needed to build a new Counter-Intelligence Apparatus to deal with the threat.  The Truce of Tukayyid ends next year and I do not know what the Ghost Bears intend to do, but I doubt they will sit idly forever.  We know the Falcons are poised on our borders and the Arc-Royal Wolves despite their rhetoric are just as dangerous.”

General Adam Steiner stood up, “Speaking of the Falcons and Wolves, according to my orders I am to attack the Jade Falcons next year but there is no way the forces allotted will be enough to defeat them.”

“That’s right you will not have enough forces to defeat them alone but you will not do it alone.  Colonel Torc please enlighten General Steiner.”

One of the gray and red uniformed soldiers stood up.  He was a tall fit man with short auburn hair and a Warrior’s grace. “The Tamar Wolves will fight the Jade Falcons at the same time.”

There was rustling in the ranks and General Steiner looked toward the man, ready to pounce.  Generals Gaston and Volkov were also up and looked at Katherine, Adam quickly regained his composure and spoke again, this time more like a snarl, “and you know this how?”

Colonel Edgar Torc watched Adam and Katherine warily, uncertain of what was going to happen but ready for anything, “I will be commanding one of the Clusters assigned to the operation.  Many Wolves cannot wait to fight beside you General Steiner.  We are big fans, some are taking bets on how quickly you can retake Somerset.  I give it three months until you can once again call yourself Duke of Somerset.”

“Katherine, I demand an explanation!  Why is this Wolf here?”  His question was echoed by many others who stood up and were mirrored by the Wolves, the Alptraum Commandos readied their weapons but no one was paying attention to them.

Katherine was entirely composed in the midst of the chaos around her, “I have an arrangement with the Wolf Khan Vladimir Ward.”  The Khan’s profile appeared above her, “He wants Terra and in exchange he will give us the Falcons, return our worlds, and transfer clan technologies.  I will give him the means to take Terra from the Word of Blake and end the Clan threat possibly forever once Clan Wolf becomes the ilClan.”

One of the Lyran Generals shouted, “The Estates General would never allow such a deal.  How can we trust these invaders that have occupied our worlds for nearly fifteen years?  The Truce ends next year, how do you know it’s not a trick?”

Katherine was playing with the bracelet on her wrist while he was speaking, “General Graum, the Estates General does know and has already approved of my actions.  Not that I needed their approval but I sought it out anyhow rather than surprise them.  They are eager to see a return of our lost worlds and especially the removal of the looming threat posed by the Jade Falcons.  The Wolf Loremaster herself appeared before them yesterday and addressed their concerns.”

A Suns General shouted out, “Where is this Wolf Loremaster?  So that we may understand exactly what we are giving these Wolves other than cannon fire.”

Katherine smiled and triggered a holographic video of a howling white wolf that turned into a 3d Wolf Empire Ensign that now hovered over her.  Her tone became icy and the General recoiled in surprise not accustomed to seeing Katherine serious and dangerous, “You are looking at her.”

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #143 on: 21 February 2018, 03:37:31 »
Oh bravo! That reveal at the end, superb! 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #144 on: 21 February 2018, 12:43:09 »
 :o :o :o :o :o
That was 1 hell of surprise for Brass of the AFFC.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #145 on: 21 February 2018, 23:43:47 »
I see a mutiny or two coming, she didn't prep her big reveal enough

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #146 on: 22 February 2018, 00:22:26 »
Why do I get the feeling that a lot of people are not happy about this reveal.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #147 on: 22 February 2018, 12:25:58 »
I see a mutiny or two coming, she didn't prep her big reveal enough

Why do I get the feeling that a lot of people are not happy about this reveal.

Who are they going to replace her with?  Yvonne (who would purge and take over)?  Adam (coup, bad optics)?  Nondi (purge and put her idiot sons in charge)?  Come on lets be serious, that would be a huge problem for everyone it would likely be worse.  Plus there are a bunch of loyal LIC commandos behind them with automatic weapons and the overly disloyal commanders and nobles have already been dealt with or will soon be.  The can't exile her or kill her without pissing off the wolves now and as far as they know she already has contingencies in place.

08/27/3066 Location – Strategic Command Center, Mount Wotan Military Reservation, Tharkad

Loremaster/Archon-Princess Katherine Steiner-Davion was surrounded by holographic images of snow covering her in a cloud of white making her look otherworldly.  Adam and the other Generals up front were shocked, he pointed toward her, “You?  Since when?”

“Loremaster or Wolf? General Steiner”

Adam stared at her, his blue-green eyes and angular features catching the light from the holograms, “Both”

“I have been Loremaster for less than two months, having killed the woman that held the title before me.  She is the one that injured me, unfortunately she gave me little choice in the matter.  For being a Wolf though, nearly ten years, almost as long as I have been Archon.”

Shouts of ‘Treason!’ erupted from the gathered crowd especially on the Federated Suns side.  Katherine brushed them aside and stared at the people behind General Gaston formerly of the 10th Deneb who was still quietly processing the revelation.  “Treason is such an ugly word Generals, I have not betrayed anything to the Wolves, in fact we almost rid ourselves of the Jade Falcons earlier.  Everything I have and will do until the day I no longer hold this office was done with the purpose of strengthening and protecting the Federated Commonwealth. 

My means may be opaque and questionable at times but I am a patriot, diplomat, and exceptional manager among other things.  I just do so officially for four States instead of three now, that is the only difference.  Khan Ward and I are partners, he has already begun to honor his promise.  Now he just waits for the opportunity to strike at Terra.”

The subordinate Suns Generals were still boisterous while the Tikonov and Lyran Generals were still processing the revelation.  Katherine grew increasingly angry at them as she dropped the light show. “The Wolves have no aims on the Suns nor undue influence over me like you imagine.  I honor the sacrifice of the AFFC soldiers lost to the Wolves during REVIVAL as Loremaster and Archon-Princess but was not responsible for them, in fact it may surprise you that the Wolves were forced to Invade by the others. 

New Avalon is my home, even if they do not welcome me.  I will not allow any harm befall it nor any world in the Suns.  Perhaps you should turn your attentions toward the Hellions, Trinity, and the Combine before they get the chance.  Do not forget that your so called Champion, appointed by my illustrious late brother, betrayed all of you and tortured my sister, usurping the throne while no one stood against him!  Yvonne and the High Council handed me her regency and the Estates General has approved of my actions.  I did not seek it out but could not refuse it, not after what I had to do.  Who else could do what I have done, are you so blind that you cannot see the big picture? 

General Volkov, vy eto vidite? Navernyaka vy ne nastol'ko glupy, chtoby otvergnut' takuyu moguchuyu vozmozhnost'.”
(General Volknov you see this right?  Surely you are not so foolish as to turn down such a mighty opportunity)

The portly Grand Baser that had once been a Colonel in the CCAF before being promoted to General of the 3rd Republican and later Senior General was momentarily caught off guard, unaware that Katherine spoke Russian, his subordinates were impressed and whispered to each other. “We understand making allies where we can when pushing into extreme situations.  The Tikonov Grand Republic has experienced unprecedented freedom, prosperity, and opportunity since we sided with you as the Archon, we agree that you have not changed since.  The Republican Guards stand with you, we will hold the line as ordered.”

General Adam Steiner was still not convinced, some Junior Lyran officers let out a sigh of relief knowing that they had one less Clan to deal with, while the Senior Lyran Officers still remembered the terror of the Wolf offensive.  “Verdammt Katherine, Warum hast du das so lange versteckt?” (Dammit Katherine, Why did you hide this for so long?”)

“Sie würden mich als Verräter betrachten, wenn ich nicht verantwortlich wäre Ich bin jetzt verantwortlich” (You would consider me a traitor unless I was in charge, I am now in charge)

“Sie sind nicht verantwortlich Sie tun, wie der Khan will”  (You are not in charge you do as the Khan wills)

Katherine was genuinely concerned, not wanting her distant cousin but close confidant to do something foolish.  It would be difficult to explain why the Lyran General of the Armies and Archon's heir-apparent got shot in the back by Alptraum Commandos. “Adam, everything I have done has been to protect our people from further harm, the whole reason I was albeit pressed-ganged into Clan Wolf was I was looking for allies to defeat the Jade Falcons.  Vladimir Ward only wants a chance at Terra without having to slog all the way through the Skye Province to get there.  I want you to liberate Somerset and end the Jade Falcons thus reuniting the Lyran Commonwealth again.  This is something that should have been done long ago but this is finally your chance.  We have spent years preparing for this, will you refuse the Wolves’ assistance?”

“I will fight the Jade Falcons to liberate those worlds.  I will even do it fighting alongside the Wolves if that is what it takes.”
  General Steiner shook his head at that admission and looked over to the Wolf Colonels standing next to him who were carefully restraining themselves to avoid fighting the Suns' Generals on the other side of the room.

“However, for the rest of the plan.  I will not launch an assault on another State unless they attack us first. You are planning a war Katherine, a war on par with the First and Second Succession Wars.  I am concerned that it won’t stop until it plunges us back there.”

“I would never ask you too lead such an assault, offensive wars are not the Steiner way.”
Katherine side eyed the Suns Generals.  “This is our best opportunity for one path but it is not my first option for the other.  There is still the Fourth Whitting Conference next year that might turn the tide but we must be prepared in case that fails.  The Second Star League grows more hostile to the Commonwealth as we grow stronger.  This Empire is vast, I am not even sure a year of preparations will be enough if this gets to hot or the Hellions attack before we are ready for them.” 

Katherine grew increasingly animated playing to the gallery where the Fleet was still mulling over these implications far away from her. “You all know our enemies are numerous and well prepared!  There are six clans solely in the Inner Sphere now.  We have hundreds of regiments and dozens of Warships but we are still outnumbered.  My Father was unable to decisively deal with the Combine and Confederation in his time and they have grown stronger since then.  The once quiet League is becoming increasingly assertive and the Captain-General's power increases daily.  There are more clans in the home worlds, four of which are capable of inflicting serious harm if they come here.

I am trying to prepare the Commonwealth for the blow that I feel is coming.”

Katherine's body language softened, “I need your help.  I did not set upon this path ten years ago with a mind towards war but things have changed.  I fear I can only delay the inevitable, had Victor returned from Strana Mechdy alive there might have been a chance for a lasting peace,

but if,

no when, a Fifth Succession War comes...

The Federated Commonwealth will have to stand together and be Victorious.

Or

We.
Will.
Perish.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #148 on: 23 February 2018, 01:08:10 »
10/17/3066 07:48 Location – SL Lewis Incorporated, Trumbull, Carlisle, FedCom

SL Lewis Incorporated was almost indistinguishable from the other light industrial concerns that occupied this park except for the mixed lance of Archers and Marauders and pair of Razorbacks that walked its grounds.  The air was filled with distinctive whine of Savannah Masters and Slipper Hovercars leaving the assembly area.  Vadiv Indrah, PhD Optical Technologies from the University of Carlisle, and David Press, an engineer working for SL Lewis, inc, walked through the beige halls past dozens of office workers toward the testing area.  Dr. Indrah had been pulled in at the request of CEO Samuel Lewis to assist the engineers on an ambitious project.  “I'm telling you the truth Doctor.  Have you seen the stat sheet we got on this thing?”

The heavily tanned but bookish man adjusted his glasses as he looked at the clipboard, “Impossible, marketing on behalf of Defiance.  There is no way your gadget can generate that much energy for its size, not with any tech we know.”

“Look it's experimental right?  Maybe it's another Indigo project, those guys have been doing all kinds of things.  Maybe they made a new discovery, Defiance gives you a hell of a dev team.”

“and they manufactured how many of them thus far?”

“The Quartermaster Corps gave us twenty for R and D.  Contract is up to a hundred by the end of next year.  Lots of OT for the guys if we can get a workable solution developed.  We are having a hell of a time wiring it up though, it uses a lot of juice.  It is in the lab with Mr Lewis, they want to test it today.”

“I still don't trust Defiance on this, they have a long history of promising things then failing to deliver.”

The two men walked into the viewing area for the optics lab, Samuel Lewis was standing there dressed in a formal suit.  “Here is Dr. Indrah, sir” 

“Thanks Dave,” Sam shook the Vadiv's hand, “Greetings Dr. Indrah I am glad you had some time to stop by, its a bit of a drive from Greenway.  I don't think you will be disappointed during your stay.”

“Pleasure to meet you Mr Lewis, the University appreciates your generosity and is always willing to lend a hand.”

“You guys do good work, Dave weren't you an Alum too?”

“Yes Sir, Class of '58.  Go Cavaliers!”

“I assume this is the device Mr Lewis.”

“Just call me Sam, and yes this is it.  They are calling it a 'Heavy Medium Laser' although it doesn't weight any more than a regular Bravo Tri-Mike”

The device was mounted on a stand, the first thing Dr Indrah noticed was the massive cooling jacket surrounding the laser assembly, clear chilling oil was circulating in a dense spiral.  The optics were covered in plastic to protect it from dust and six people in clean suits were working on the capacitor bank and electrical cables.  An armored target was located opposite the laser waiting for a test shot to see whether or not they had assembled it according to the directions Defiance gave them. 

The technicians completed their final checks and removed the plastic cover from the device before leaving the room to stand behind the heavy barrier.  David and Vadiv were sitting down watching the monitors while Sam remained standing. 

“Alright boys, chop, chop.  Dave please polarize the screens, kill the lights, and ready the barrier.”

David looked back at him, “Sir, is that the normal target?”

“Yeah what's the problem?  That thing can take a large laser.”

“I think we should double up before we power up.”

“It will be fine, begin the testing procedure.”

“Are you sure, did you look at these stats?”

“I'm telling you Dave, it will be fine, begin the testing procedure.”

David didn't seem so sure, “Yes, Sir, beginning testing sequence, sealing the lab, all techs report they are in the safe zone.  Downrange is clear.”

The flash barrier descended over the viewing area only a small band of tinted quartz allowing you to watch the laser without blinding yourself.  All three of them still donned flash goggles as Vadiv and David monitored the screens.  “Beginning to charge the capacitor.”

Multiple status feeds displayed electrical data and temperatures for the various components of the weapon.  “Capacitor is charged, increasing cooling to the body.  All signs green, awaiting your order Sam.”

Sam Lewis never got tired of this part, “Fire!”

The HML discharged instantly punching through the target and burning a hole in the cinder blocks behind it.  The charred stone was still glowing cherry red by the time they powered it down and rushed to the lab, donning protective gear along the way.  Sam reached the opposite wall shortly after the techs did and was looking through the hole, “Holy Shit!”

Dave wisely decided to keep to himself and Dr. Indrah was stunned that such small weapon had slagged the target and still had enough energy to punch through the wall.

“Damn!  That's gonna be a nasty surprise for some birdbrain.”

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #149 on: 23 February 2018, 08:38:32 »
Should we double up  ;D ;D