Author Topic: Opinions on the Sun Spider.  (Read 11353 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Opinions on the Sun Spider.
« Reply #30 on: 15 February 2018, 21:37:32 »
It's an absolute travesty that this is a thing and the woodsman is classified as "extinct"
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #31 on: 16 February 2018, 00:40:44 »
Sure, but the whole "What product does this fit in," remains.

What about TRO: Golden Century?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #32 on: 16 February 2018, 06:09:54 »
It's an absolute travesty that this is a thing and the woodsman is classified as "extinct"

Here's a level 3 hill. Get over it.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 16 February 2018, 08:16:12 »
What about TRO: Golden Century?

Eh, considering the fluff details it as not going beyond the prototype stage during the Golden Century, and not being available until the 3050's, it seems like an odd choice for a Golden Century product. Especially since the Golden Century version would be flawed compared to the final product 170 years later. Also I would think that most people when looking at a Golden Century TRO would want designs they could actually use, not what's basically a one-off Prototype that wasn't known beyond the Scientist Caste. I could be wrong of course :)

I mean, sure its possible I suppose.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 18 February 2018, 19:51:02 »
Here's a level 3 hill. Get over it.

I encourage you to ignore me and my posts. I am unlikely to ever stop being vocally dissatisfied with the inconsistency with which TPTB are willing to perform retcons.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #35 on: 18 February 2018, 19:58:09 »
I encourage you to ignore me and my posts. I am unlikely to ever stop being vocally dissatisfied with the inconsistency with which TPTB are willing to perform retcons.

Here's the thing. The Sun Spider was created by PGI for MechWarrior Online. It was not created by CGL. While yes, the fluff was written by Randall Bills, it's not a part of any canon Battletech product as yet. And, as such, it's still not a part of the "official" Battletech universe.

The creation of the Sun Spider has nothing at all to do with the Woodsman. It was created by different people for different products. The two have no connection to each other at all. Complaining about the Woodsman being extinct in a thread about the Sun Spider is like going to a car mechanic to complain about your sandwich.

Get over it.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 18 February 2018, 21:30:39 »
Please keep on the topic of the Sun Spider.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 19 February 2018, 04:14:53 »
Here's the thing. The Sun Spider was created by PGI for MechWarrior Online. It was not created by CGL. While yes, the fluff was written by Randall Bills, it's not a part of any canon Battletech product as yet. And, as such, it's still not a part of the "official" Battletech universe.
I believe this is factually wrong.
There is a Sun Spider Hero 'Mech (Manul), and Hero 'Mech fluff was declared fully canonical for (CGL's) BattleTech (by Randall Bills himself no less). Since there can be no canonical fluff pertaining to a non-canonical 'Mech, it follows that the Sun Spider is indeed canon for mainline CGL BattleTech - even if CGL may not actually have the rights to the design.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2018, 04:49:47 »
True that. Either way, it's not canon until it appears in a published CGL Battletech book

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #39 on: 19 February 2018, 04:54:03 »
I like it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #40 on: 21 February 2018, 04:27:19 »
I say add it.  We know from the Golden Century book that the Clans developed their own Mechs and designs, so why not add it?  In a small Clan like the Scorpions the Sun Spider could literally be a few Stars strong in its totality, hence it rarely being seen by other Clans, and when they see it they go "Meh, do not care, we have got Summoners and Timberwolves, you keep your little toy" and never bothered trialling for it.  Or if they did recover one, they made a point of scrapping it to slight the Scorpions.

Other Clans could have their own 'in house' designs, sure they are rare as hens teeth and could be the providence of the smaller Clans or those who didn't get involved in REVIVAL, hence them not being seen by the Inner Sphere until the Post Tukkayid or even post Bulldog/Serpent period. 

So if there's ever more of these, I say go for it.  Lore gets re-written and updated and retconned all the time, so there's no point in sitting and going MUH CANONS!!!! or screaming and clawing at your hair whilst vomiting in hysterical rage or any such nonsense. Just shrug, and go "Well, more Mechs, more lore, yum!" 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #41 on: 21 February 2018, 04:41:23 »
I say add it.  We know from the Golden Century book that the Clans developed their own Mechs and designs, so why not add it?  In a small Clan like the Scorpions the Sun Spider could literally be a few Stars strong in its totality, hence it rarely being seen by other Clans, and when they see it they go "Meh, do not care, we have got Summoners and Timberwolves, you keep your little toy" and never bothered trialling for it.  Or if they did recover one, they made a point of scrapping it to slight the Scorpions.

Other Clans could have their own 'in house' designs, sure they are rare as hens teeth and could be the providence of the smaller Clans or those who didn't get involved in REVIVAL, hence them not being seen by the Inner Sphere until the Post Tukkayid or even post Bulldog/Serpent period. 

So if there's ever more of these, I say go for it.  Lore gets re-written and updated and retconned all the time, so there's no point in sitting and going MUH CANONS!!!! or screaming and clawing at your hair whilst vomiting in hysterical rage or any such nonsense. Just shrug, and go "Well, more Mechs, more lore, yum!"

I cannot agree with this more!

BRB, making Goliath Scorpion character

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #42 on: 21 February 2018, 05:21:34 »
Hell anything to flesh out the other Clans that are not Wolf, Falcon, Bear and Jaguar would be good.  As would more information on the eras of the clans and putting Mech's in, having them be unique developments to the Clan, failed prototypes or anythings a good way to do that I say.

A TRO with the Sun Spider in it could feature the Storm Giant, a Raven only ASF that later fell out of grace due to technical issues that saw it get scrapped and replaced, a Horse wheeled tank, a Steel Viper light Mech, the designs of BA that lead to the Elemental (the Rhino for example) and more.  It gives us insight, it gives us lore and fluff and it gives us pretty pictures :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #43 on: 21 February 2018, 06:12:09 »
It gives us insight, it gives us lore and fluff and it gives us pretty pictures :)

All the things I love.

Especially obscure and crazy designs.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #44 on: 21 February 2018, 06:22:31 »
Well I liked the name when I first saw it but this was not at what I was expecting or hoping for in an Early OmniMech. The name made me think of a successor to the venerable 35 ton Spider something I could certainly see the Goliath Scorpions doing. Barring that there are many early Omni designs that we haven't seen such as what came before the 35 ton Adder (Puma) or 100 ton Dire Wolf (Diashi) which were both released in 3010. There must have been predecessors for some of the more modern designs in certain weight classes and that is what I was hoping for instead we got a pretty modern design IMO. Several early OmniMechs like the Kingfisher or Nova lack bulky weight saving technology like XL Engines or EndoSteel which could be realistically explained away by designers wanting to keep their options opened for pod mounted equipment.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #45 on: 21 February 2018, 11:56:45 »
Well I liked the name when I first saw it but this was not at what I was expecting or hoping for in an Early OmniMech. The name made me think of a successor to the venerable 35 ton Spider something I could certainly see the Goliath Scorpions doing. Barring that there are many early Omni designs that we haven't seen such as what came before the 35 ton Adder (Puma) or 100 ton Dire Wolf (Diashi) which were both released in 3010. There must have been predecessors for some of the more modern designs in certain weight classes and that is what I was hoping for instead we got a pretty modern design IMO. Several early OmniMechs like the Kingfisher or Nova lack bulky weight saving technology like XL Engines or EndoSteel which could be realistically explained away by designers wanting to keep their options opened for pod mounted equipment.
The reason why it failed was because they tried to cram everything in.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #46 on: 21 February 2018, 15:38:15 »
You know...this would have been a perfect thing for BattleCorps. They could have added it into their MilTech News feed thingie and made it canon and not even have to bother about finding a product to slot it into. (And putting stats on there they wouldn't even have to bother with publishing a record sheet either.) Too late now though, oh well.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #47 on: 21 February 2018, 16:00:08 »
I wonder if the Sun Spider will be one of the Mechs for TRO Golden Century?

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #48 on: 24 February 2018, 14:39:47 »
Eh, considering the fluff details it as not going beyond the prototype stage during the Golden Century, and not being available until the 3050's, it seems like an odd choice for a Golden Century product. Especially since the Golden Century version would be flawed compared to the final product 170 years later. Also I would think that most people when looking at a Golden Century TRO would want designs they could actually use, not what's basically a one-off Prototype that wasn't known beyond the Scientist Caste. I could be wrong of course :)

I mean, sure its possible I suppose.

It depends....it could be like TRSW and have a history, but offer variants and upgrades based upon the timeframe when it is "of use" to players. The fluff would probably need to be updated so it makes more sense, and I'd like to see the feet put on the right way but a page in TR:GC is something possible
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Requiemking

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 03 April 2018, 12:59:04 »
Slight bumping due to an update involving this mech. It released into MWO in March and, unfortunately, it's pretty underwhelming. However, as the rules and mechanics for MWO don't necessarily apply to TT, it might be good to test it in something like Megamek to see how it works out.
Mist Match

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #50 on: 03 April 2018, 18:35:05 »
Slight bumping due to an update involving this mech. It released into MWO in March and, unfortunately, it's pretty underwhelming. However, as the rules and mechanics for MWO don't necessarily apply to TT, it might be good to test it in something like Megamek to see how it works out.

Good thing somebody converted it to MegaMek and even did icons for it...

Register