Author Topic: IS Unit Insignia (interpretations and alterations)  (Read 62689 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: IS Unit Insignia (interpretations and alterations)
« Reply #30 on: 14 August 2015, 17:18:28 »
Oh, the updated House Hiritsu emblem is great!

Do you mind if i make an avatar of it for myself?

EDIT Nope, that didn't work out at all... Sigh, another program then...
EDIT2 Ah, much better. So, this ok?
« Last Edit: 14 August 2015, 17:23:01 by Empyrus »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #31 on: 15 August 2015, 06:59:09 »
Oh, the updated House Hiritsu emblem is great!

Do you mind if i make an avatar of it for myself?

EDIT Nope, that didn't work out at all... Sigh, another program then...
EDIT2 Ah, much better. So, this ok?

I am honoured that you chose it as avatar! Everyone is invited to do so, or use it for signatures (or ask me to make one).
Downsizing an image can be painfull, but I think the board allows a slightly bigger avatar (150 width iirc) if that helps.

And Thirdly, don't be shy of the Confederation either!  They're almost as much a cultural hodge podge as the FWL.  Xin Sheng is a facade...

I may say that Hayden has done a lot of excellent DCMS and CCAF unit insignia (and many more), which can be found on DA.
Nevertheless, I have earmarked a few CCAF commands for my future works.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 15 August 2015, 07:56:41 »
Up to 150? Damn, i looked at the previous one i had, determined its width was 110 and resized the image appropriately. Oh, well, i may or may not make another version.

My first attempt went badly because IrfanView decided to add a black background... Fortunately Paint.net kept it transparent.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #33 on: 15 August 2015, 08:06:15 »
Yes, .png format adds the transparency issue and some programs can't handle it.

I have actually seen avatars up to 160px, but here is one for you at 150:  :)
http://i.imgur.com/IToRNuH.png
I hope it is ok... sometimes resizing is a bit difficult.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #34 on: 22 August 2015, 07:27:48 »
Peace of Blake be with you.

This update is about the Word of Blake Militia and its allies.
As I said before, I am not a fan of the blue&red colour combination, which is also used by the hidden divisions of the WoBM (11-39). Both colours are very strong and thus don't go well together. I tried, but was not really satisfied with the results. So I tried something else and reversed the ComGuards scheme using black as base colour instead of white. I added red highlights (since black could no longer be used for highlights) and I think it looks ... powerful.
And... I have always been annoyed by the spelling mistake in the insignia of the 37th Division, which was another motivation for me.  ;)

Long Story short, here they are:

5th Division

9th Division

11th Division

12th Division

16th Division

25th Division

37th Division

Mercs

Waco Rangers

Swan's Cavaliers

« Last Edit: 22 August 2015, 07:32:58 by Flieger »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #35 on: 22 August 2015, 09:17:07 »
I like the WoB color scheme you came up with. It is sort of Wolverine inspired and since the Blood are such a big part of their story, why not.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #36 on: 22 August 2015, 10:09:30 »
Thank you! To be fair, the colour scheme was also inspired by the canonic colour scheme of the 9th Division, which I like. But Wolverine hints are very cool, too, since I like them a lot.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #37 on: 27 August 2015, 17:36:50 »
1000 clicks! And I did only 900 of them  ;D

Anyway, I did some quite new stuff this time: Corporate Security Forces, from Commonwealth and Combine companies. To my knowledge they have not been given insignia, and the company logo was used. But I thought they deserve their own insignia.
Furthermore, some Rasalhague stuff.

Feedback, especially on the corporate forces, is welcome!

Corporate Security Forces

Interpretation: Almost all larger arms producing companies employ a military grade security unit, usually equipped with the products of the company. It is not know if they have any insignia, but I made some. The basic idea is to use the company logo in combination with military and industrial symbols.

Defiance Self-Protection Force (since 3065)

Interpretation: the base is of course the DefHes logo; the sword in front of a cogwheel symbolizes the defence of the factories; the unit was once called "the catamounts", so this animal had to be included; the skull is from the Gray Death Legion. The GDL is honoured for its valiant efforts protecting the DI works against the Skye separatists, and perhaps some of surviving GDL/Brewer’s Legion members joined the DSPF. So it makes sense to include their insignia. The overall white and red colour scheme is derived from the paint scheme of the DSPF mechs.

Brewer’s Legion

Interpretation: using the Brewer family coat of arms and the GDL logo seemed the best idea for this unit

Coventry Metal Works Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: the combination of cogwheel and swords symbolizes the defence of the factories. Since the CMW logo is round, I put the cogwheel around it, and I think it looks good.

Arc-Royal Mech Works Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: emphasizing the strong regional ties of the ARMW, the SPF insignia is based on the colours of the Arc-Royal coat of arms, even including the chalice. Again, swords and cogwheel symbolize the defence of the factories.

Norse Storm Technologies Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: based on the colour scheme of the company logo I added its dominant lightning bolts to the insignia of the SFP, which also features the sword and cogwheel combination. 

Luthien Armor Works Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: being a Japanese-inspired culture, I refrained from using western imagery like broadswords and cogwheel. However I used the Katana and Wakizashi combination to symbolize the military mission of the SPF.

BBP Self-Protection Force

Interpretation: again I used a Katana, but this time carried by an eagle (irl the insignia of the 10th Japanese Army Division) to symbolize the aero-space fighters and Dropships produced by BBP.

Free Rasalhague Republic

KungsArmé

First Tyr

Changes: the Viking helmet is now a historically more accurate helmet, loosely inspired by the Gjermundbu helmet. Seriously, horns?

Third Drakøns

Fourth Drakøns

Interpretation: the insignia of the unit is not known, but I figured the Nordic valknut would be a good symbol.

Third Hussars

Fourth Kavalleri

« Last Edit: 28 August 2015, 13:35:53 by Flieger »

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #38 on: 31 August 2015, 20:06:42 »
A little Davion today, the Periphery March Guards. I used the base image as shown in the FM:3145 and modified it according to the descriptions given in the text. In case of the 4th, I came up with an idea as there was no description. The colours are guesswork. If they are wrong, please tell me.

Periphery March Guards Brigade

First Periphery March Guards

Second Periphery March Guards

Fourth Periphery March Guards

Interpretation: the insignia is not described; from the name "Rhine" however I deduced river imagery.

Fifth Periphery March Guards

« Last Edit: 31 August 2015, 20:08:28 by Flieger »

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #39 on: 01 September 2015, 07:06:25 »
Nicely done, very clean professional designs
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #40 on: 04 September 2015, 08:49:36 »
Thank you! I should point out, though, that the original brigade emblem is excellent already. I merely colourized it, simplified it, and added unit specific details.

Anyway, next batch: CapCon and FedSuns.

Robinson Brigade

1st Robinson Rangers

2nd Robinson Rangers

3rd Robinson Rangers

1st Robinson Strikers

4th Robinson Strikers

5th Robinson Strikers

Sian Dragoons

3rd Sian Dragoons

9th Sian Dragoons

11th Sian Dragoons

Capellan Defense Force

1st Capellan Defense Force

7th Capellan Defense Force

Capellan Chargers

4th Capellan Chargers

Victoria Rangers

5th Victoria Rangers

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #41 on: 11 September 2015, 11:54:01 »
Drank a Talisker, so it was time for the Skye Rangers.
Also some others.

7th New Samarkand Regulars

1st Somerset Strikers /// Steiner Strikers

4th Skye Rangers

Changes: Rather than a modern, accurate image of Britain, I chose the oldest known map of Britain made by Ptolemy.

10th Skye Rangers

Interpretation: I do not know if there is a canon logo, so I chose the St. Andrew's Cross in honour of the nickname (The Black Watch) and because it looks like a Roman 10.

17th Skye Rangers

4th Skye Guards

3rd Amaris Legionnaires

Blackstone Highlanders

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 03 November 2015, 10:34:47 »
Cool work!

Most i like your Lyran Guards

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #43 on: 03 November 2015, 15:18:33 »
Really great job.

For the 4th Robinson Strikers, I think the tusks and the legs should be filled with only one colour.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
« Reply #44 on: 04 November 2015, 15:22:25 »
Really great job.

For the 4th Robinson Strikers, I think the tusks and the legs should be filled with only one colour.

Yes Flieger you should try it. I wanna know what looks better and please post it than in comparison

Flieger nice idea to bud the insignia of the 3rd Sian Dragoons inside the rectabgle of mother formation  O0 ;D
so is it better to seen and no so big i had paint the entire weapon on the mech leg
Maybe you repaint the blade it looks so simply you sure can paint it better

Good work Flieger (Gute Arbeit wirklich)  [cheers]

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #45 on: 06 November 2015, 07:00:24 »
Thank you, gentlemen! Very nice and encouraging.  :)

I have plans to revisit this thread, and although I cannot say "when" (busy at work atm), I will keep you input in mind. I see what you mean about the 4th Robinson Strikers, and perhaps your suggestion works better indeed. (When creating the insignia, I sometimes have a tunnel vision and get stuck...). Regarding the 3rd Sian Dragoons... it is actually the colour that bothers me the most. Perhaps I'll find another shade of green to work with. Sure, I also could do a more fancy version of the blade.  ;)

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
« Reply #46 on: 08 November 2015, 16:56:51 »
Don't forget to set the link for the new topic here   ;)

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #47 on: 08 November 2015, 23:10:28 »
Impressive....  O0

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #48 on: 09 December 2015, 23:55:56 »
These look great Flieger! Love the new take on the Saucy Sixth and the variations on the 11th Lyran Guard.  8)

Just FYI: traditionally, if there is a single charge of an object or animal and its facing the left side of the shield (that is, its facing to the right from the viewers standpoint) it usually denotes bastardy or cowardice. That's why you almost always see them facing to the viewers left. Its not followed much in corporate circles, but western militaries still follow the practice.

Of course, by the 31st Century none of this may even matter.  ;)
« Last Edit: 10 December 2015, 06:40:49 by Top Sergeant »
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #49 on: 14 December 2015, 11:53:00 »
Thanks a lot.

Regarding the facing of the charge... Good point! I usually stick to the canon source image, which sometimes do not follow tradition, but I am aware of the issue (being a historian and having served myself), hence I try to keep that tradition.

Btw., between Christmas and New Year I plan and hope to add&rework a bit. I will surely add the 101st Tharkad Lancers to the mix. (from the German-only novel Sturm auf Arc-Royal).

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #50 on: 17 January 2016, 14:03:53 »
So, a small update (using the new HBS house insignia  O0); some new insignia, some reworks; featuring Liao, Steiner, Davion, and Amaris insignia:

101st Tharkad Lancers

Interpretation: The Tharkad Lancers are a unit featured in the German novel "Sturm auf Arc-Royal" (see my review here). They are said to have a silver knight on a white horse as insignia, however I added some elements from the flag of Tharkad and the number 101.

3rd Royal Guards

LIC

Diplomatic Guard

4th Robinson Strikers

(slightly tweaked according to suggestion; thanks!)

Maskirovka (pre Xin-Sheng)

Maskirovka Cappelan Operations Branch

Amaris Liberation Army 1

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #51 on: 20 January 2016, 16:01:48 »
A new series, this time it is all about one insignia: the Royal Guards Brigade insignia.

So why is it a series? Well, I did not like the original brigade’s insignia much; it does make sense and it is rather well executed by the artists, but I think a crown is relatively boring. Looking for alternatives I found that the Steiner fist was already in use by the Fourth Royal Guards, so I could not use it.

Then I thought about using the Archon's (first) name. In my opinion it makes some sense, as the Guards were loyal to the person of the Archon rather than the position as could be seen in the Brewer-coup and other occasions. Of course, a name itself offers rather limited options to visually represent them, too.
Yet, one option was interesting: the medieval monogram style, used e.g. by Theoderic the Great, Charlemagne or Otto the Great. Especially the last with its simplicity was what I liked. So I chose this for my series. My system is always to use four letters and start with the first letter, while generally preferring to show consonants if possible.

I am interested in opinions on improving the idea, or simply better new ideas for an alternate Brigade sigil.

Here is my try:

Trillian

TRLN

Adam

ADAM

Peter

PTER

Katrina (and Katherine for that matter – the monogram would be the same, even if she had continued to use her birth name)

KTRN

« Last Edit: 20 January 2016, 16:06:18 by Flieger »

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #52 on: 28 January 2016, 20:14:48 »
my wife, who embroiders unit patches as a hobby, has been drooling over your work.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #53 on: 30 January 2016, 11:50:31 »
Thanks! Such a compliment means a lot to me!  :)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #54 on: 31 January 2016, 22:21:40 »
Couple of Requests 

Could we get both a Generic Amaris Dragoons logo and some numbered ones?

Wife would love to see some Jade Falcon logos with flat colors, and a Watch Insignia.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #55 on: 03 February 2016, 08:59:31 »
No problem, I can do the Dragoons, although I would mostly colourize the existing canon insignia, which I think is pretty close to my style already. If you have any special ideas for the insignia, I would like to hear them.

And sorry, I don't do the Clans. But regarding the Jade Falcons, Bren has created some excellent artwork. I really like his style:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=49607.0

Well, so I have the Amaris Dragoons in the pipeline, and also some ComStar Divisions (there are still a lot to do!).

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #56 on: 04 February 2016, 10:33:43 »
So, a new update with the promised Amaris Dragoons and a few ComStar divisions.

I made two versions of the Dragoons; one based on red, one based on black. Both use Roman numerals which I think look really interesting, especially the higher numbers. The Brigade is represented by a star, which I liked better than just making the shark larger. But let us start with the ComGuards:

282nd Division

Interpretation: no canon insignia is known, but being a pre-schism formation the use of Blake's book makes sense imo. The unit fought bravely on Tukayyid, and was destroyed by the Wolfspiders

214th Division

198th Division

12th Division

Interpretation: many ComStar divisions changed nickname and insignia after Tukayyid; the 12th is no exception. This represents the insignia before the battle, based on its name "Pure Waveforms"

Amaris Dragoons Brigade

1st Amaris Dragoons

4th Amaris Dragoons

99th Amaris Dragoons

141st Amaris Dragoons

832nd Amaris Dragoons

« Last Edit: 04 February 2016, 21:23:51 by Flieger »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 04 February 2016, 11:16:15 »
DCCCXXXII is 832, not 382.  You'll be wanting CCCLXXXII for those badges.

But I love your work and don't want to simply say critical things about it.   

So...

And sorry, I don't do the Clans.

I have such a man crush on you for that.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #58 on: 04 February 2016, 11:18:43 »
Ah, a little typo: it is supposed to be the 832nd Dragoons:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/832nd_Amaris_Dragoons
Thanks for the note, will change that soon enough.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #59 on: 05 February 2016, 16:10:40 »
I love these, but isn't the roman numeral for 4 IV? I have seen IIII before, but thought it was in error.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman