Author Topic: Madcat Resculpt?  (Read 13528 times)

GBL

• Sergeant
Madcat Resculpt?
« on: 08 February 2011, 03:28:12 »
Hey, i was looking at the cover of ER3052 and digging the way the madcat on the cover looks.

Has anyone else considered a fansculpt when they become available again?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: Madcat Resculpt?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2011, 06:21:20 »
The Mad Cat already has a very gorgeous resculpt.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2011, 09:18:02 »
 :o

???

[tickedoff]

WHY?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2011, 10:39:10 »
In case you're not familiar, here's a look at the current sculpt- having just finished a modified one up on Sunday morning (A 'D' config, in case anyone cares), I can tell you this really isn't a Mech that needs any changes done.

http://www.camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=659
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2011, 10:46:46 »
How many mad cat minis do we have? the original, the resculpt, Aidan's, any others?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2011, 10:50:29 »
How many mad cat minis do we have? the original, the resculpt, Aidan's, any others?

There was one in the old Ral Partha packs, but it was the original sculpt basically, just using resin for some parts (if I recall right- and I likely don't).

Other than that, that's it- well, and the Mark II, Mark III,and the upcoming Mark IV, if those count.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2011, 12:35:47 »
Timberwolves....never enough.... [drool] (just kidding, enough already!)
But I would love a omni part blister pack-One would build the A,B and C and another to build the D,S ? models.I can drean can I not O0

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2011, 13:31:46 »
...just do what I did. Order a Timber Wolf, and pick up the parts you need along with it from IWM's store. In the case of my 'D', I ordered the Timber Wolf, four Hellbringer SRM packs, two Loki arms (one right, one left, obviously), and used those in place of the original arms/missile pods. No reason to have specialized variants in packages when it's that easy to build them oneself.

+Crow T. Robot+

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2011, 15:05:33 »
Lol, never having actually built/owned a Mad Cat (not even Aidan's! shocking I know!) What is the difference between Aidan's ride and the Prime? Been a long tme since I raid 'Jade Pheonix'.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2011, 16:36:49 »
In case you're not familiar, here's a look at the current sculpt- having just finished a modified one up on Sunday morning (A 'D' config, in case anyone cares), I can tell you this really isn't a Mech that needs any changes done.

http://www.camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=659

I own two. A fantastic sculpt utterly superceded by the new artwork. I actually assumed their would be a wave of new fan finance projects with all the great new artwork. ER3052 isnt all, the Enfield and Emperor on the TRO 3058U reprint look ripe for the same treatment.

For those who havent seen it;

To my eyes, it seems that the Torso has been widened, the missile pods have significant added sexy, the ratio between leg height and torso height has been vastly improved. The arms are still a little spindly, but they have at least been made a bit more box-like.

Just my opinion mind you, i was just trying to gauge the community.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2011, 17:00:29 »
Don't see enough of a difference to commission a new sculpt, especially because I really like the resculpt.  Want to talk about a Mech that needs a 4 resculpt?  The Blood Asp.  Just picked up the 2nd resculpt (the one that doesn't look like the new artwork), and it looks awesome!  But I digress.

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2011, 17:08:16 »
Don't see enough of a difference to commission a new sculpt, especially because I really like the resculpt.  Want to talk about a Mech that needs a 4 resculpt?  The Blood Asp.  Just picked up the 2nd resculpt (the one that doesn't look like the new artwork), and it looks awesome!  But I digress.

My beef has always been with the torso, i think its too skinny. Now the mechassault version was too big and too round. But ive always wanted a nice compromise, and there it is in print from catalyst :)

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2011, 17:15:40 »
My beef has always been with the torso, i think its too skinny. Now the mechassault version was too big and too round. But ive always wanted a nice compromise, and there it is in print from catalyst :)

I'll agree that if a new sculpt was being done I really like that look.  But as we've just had a new resculpt, and I do quite like it (even if it could have a beefier torso), there's no need yet.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #13 on: 09 February 2011, 09:01:07 »
I like the current Mad Cat sculpt, but its mold has enough problems that it may be time for a resculpt.  It's been years since I bought a Mad Cat that I haven't had to grind half the legs off of because they were so horribly misaligned.  The torso will sometimes have a shift in it so bad that the mini is unusable, and the missile tips sometimes come with enough extra flash sticking off them that you may as well file the whole thing flat and start over.  A resculpt that could boost the thickness a little and redo the joints to accept the Omni Parts might be a good thing. 

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2011, 09:38:33 »
actually we do have a new mad cat sculpt on the way....

[notworthy]the Mad Cat Mk IV!!!!!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2011, 16:24:24 »
I like the current Mad Cat sculpt, but its mold has enough problems that it may be time for a resculpt.  It's been years since I bought a Mad Cat that I haven't had to grind half the legs off of because they were so horribly misaligned.  The torso will sometimes have a shift in it so bad that the mini is unusable, and the missile tips sometimes come with enough extra flash sticking off them that you may as well file the whole thing flat and start over.  A resculpt that could boost the thickness a little and redo the joints to accept the Omni Parts might be a good thing.
Agreed.  I'd also replace the LRMs with the ones that come with the Thor B(?).

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2011, 16:25:24 »
Agreed, ive had to throw a torso away due to the mold being off centre. It was either that or scrape all of the detail from the center of the mini.

Genyosha

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2011, 16:30:56 »
actually we do have a new mad cat sculpt on the way....
 [notworthy]the Mad Cat Mk IV!!!!!

I want a Madcat, not a plastic toy!

A 3050 Madcat without automatic broken upper arms!
A better scale as acually.

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2011, 16:31:58 »

Yes definitely.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2011, 16:59:09 »

funny cause the Mk IV is coming in pewter form, and if it was made to a full scale working model would be able to actually walk or run, and the rotary joints would allow for some pretty impressive movement and firing arcs.

ehhh whatever, I plan on buying only Mk IVs from here on in for my Mad Cat Needs.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 17:05:31 by JPArbiter »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #20 on: 09 February 2011, 19:02:09 »
You know what needs new molds is the Cestus. I just opened one to use in an upcoming game and i had to file all the detail off the lower part to get the body so i could put the gauss rifle on.The mini was just off enough that the right side was higher than the left. Yea, i realise there isn't a huge mob clamoring for the Cestus but it was just abit annoying. I just think there are better ones to redo than the highlander or madcat.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Genyosha

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 10 February 2011, 13:50:25 »
funny cause the Mk IV is coming in pewter form, and if it was made to a full scale working model would be able to actually walk or run, and the rotary joints would allow for some pretty impressive movement and firing arcs.

Yes i know this!
This MWDA ****** Thing is no replacement for a good sculpted Madcat, without prefabricated automatic broken Arms.
The funny plastic toys dies the same Death as the most collectible Games.  }:)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #22 on: 11 February 2011, 12:16:51 »
I have the Madcat Re-sculpt on the way from IWM (http://ironwindmetals.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2732) and can't wait!!!

When I saw the title of this I got worried that they had come out with something even BETTER than what I had ordered and I was like "Ummm really, there goes MORE money" LOL
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 11 February 2011, 12:58:32 »
I just received another Drew Williams Timberwolf in my last order from Iron Wind. Man is it ever beautiful. Even better than the first copies that I ordered when the model was originally released. The mold seams on the torso are hardly visible, and the torso is not as thin (left to right torso) as the first copies ether (shrinkage from the casting process). I hope all of the newer copies are coming out this nice!...  :o

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #24 on: 11 February 2011, 13:01:52 »
I'll be very pleased if they've either fixed the problems with the mold or made a new mold from the master.  People love to buy their Timber Wolves, and I'd hate to stop painting them. 

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 11 February 2011, 14:15:42 »
Lol, never having actually built/owned a Mad Cat (not even Aidan's! shocking I know!) What is the difference between Aidan's ride and the Prime? Been a long tme since I raid 'Jade Pheonix'.

-Gunz

The only difference is the inclusion of jump jets located under the LRM packs on Aidan's Timberwolf

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #26 on: 11 February 2011, 14:51:36 »
Don't forget the superultramegadamage type small laser of DOOOOOOOM!
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 11 February 2011, 16:13:04 »
The only thing I would change on the current Timberwolf sculpt is the thickness in the arms. Too thin