Author Topic: All New Gratuitious Anime Thread, now with more explosions!  (Read 146931 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: All New Gratuitious Anime Thread, now with more explosions!
« Reply #1380 on: 23 June 2017, 21:05:56 »
What about a goat with 80s hair?

Still better than 70's hair...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1381 on: 11 July 2017, 17:42:14 »
So a new Castlevania miniseries just popped up on Netflix.  I just watched it (there's only 4 episodes) and thought it was pretty good.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1382 on: 11 July 2017, 17:51:58 »
i think we lost some things.  0.o

I had been waiting for my slacking niece to catch up on the series, but we finally watched Girls und Panzer der Film.  Freaking fantastic.  My only complaint was the Hetzer didn't Hetz enough.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1383 on: 11 July 2017, 18:44:59 »
Since it looks like things got broke, here's comments on the last couple of eps of Re: Creators.

Re: Creators - 13

WTF? A recap episode with ten to go (counting this ep)?
AT least until Meteora's appearance in the ep 1 flashback. Talk about trolling the audience there. At least that was good humor for a dragged on moment. But then again, I think this was Meteora's best attempt at humor, so far. Considering how flat her initial joke at the end of ep 1 was...
The only upside, if you could call it that, is a learning a little more info on the Creation's backgrounds. I'm also not entirely sure having Meteora giving off commentary at times is a good thing. It feels like Meteora is just trying to add a little humor into her commentary. It works a little, but also seems a little OOC as well.
And then there is Meteora's little speech at the end of the ep. I got to wonder if this is a counter-criticism to a lot of the, in some cases deserved, negative press the Anime industry has been getting as of late?
Was this actual ep needed? I'm not sure. Anytime, intentional or not, a recap ep is brought in, it weakens the overall pace of the narrative.

I also got to wonder if the fanboys are gonna want Alt-Meteora merch now?

Ep-14
Finally back to business.
With Kikuchihara getting all the logistics moving forward, now it falls on the Creators to get things moving to start building the "bird cage". Though I do find Kikuchihara's statement to the various Animators and production people as they start grousing about how the plan is going to impact their, already full, schedules interesting: "To put it simply, I'm telling everyone to die." Priceless.
The main part of the ep is the Creators getting together to start building the crossover works. You still have to wonder how deep the issues between Matsubara and Yatoji are, but the fact that they come to creative terms with part of the crossover might be seen as a good thing. And finally Sota steps up! Let's hope that he can deliver.
We also, finally, get the new OP & EP. I like the EP's overall visuals, but what is showed in the OP really get's interesting: One more Creator, Two more Creations (Syo, I believe, from Exclusive Underground and a pink haired girl seen at the end of the ep), and Selesia gets her Mech back.

All in all, I liked the start to Re:Creators second act. I just hope for a entertaining ride.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1384 on: 12 July 2017, 17:28:16 »
i think we lost some things.  0.o

I had been waiting for my slacking niece to catch up on the series, but we finally watched Girls und Panzer der Film.  Freaking fantastic.  My only complaint was the Hetzer didn't Hetz enough.

Yes, but it was nice to see Anteater and Leopon actually getting a chance to do something.

So Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul is still going.  I have no idea how long it actually is, but I'm guessing 26 episodes since at episode 14 the intro and ending scores changed.

Tried watching Akira today: did the primary animator have an issue with depth perception or something against the human face?  Because everyone in that movie looks deformed.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1385 on: 12 July 2017, 17:59:15 »
Tried watching Akira today: did the primary animator have an issue with depth perception or something against the human face?  Because everyone in that movie looks deformed.

Not that I recall. Considering that film is based on a Manga and the character designs were pretty well nailed from it.
I guess I'm showing my age, but you've never seen Akira before? Hell, I still have the Streamline dub VHS release floating around in my collection somewhere. then again, that anniversary release FUNi did a few years back is a wonderful thing as well.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1386 on: 12 July 2017, 18:01:28 »
I saw part of it a long time ago (late 90s or early 00s), but I've never seen the whole thing that I can recall.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1387 on: 12 July 2017, 20:01:44 »
Well as catch up,  Knight's and Magic has gone to two episodes so far. To me it's going good despite it's insanely fast pacing.  I keep thinking their going to skip everything and make it's own story since it's going zoom past the light novels, never mind manga.

ID-0 is ended, it was fair scifi series. I still recommend it despite it's shortness.  I'm kind of hinge if it's going be remembered well. It's ending was bit odd. It's like they took page from the original 1970s Animal House movie with ending saying "Where they are now".  It sort of ended like Dimension W, which i thought could been much better. Ending needed some improvement.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1388 on: 12 July 2017, 20:14:46 »
Yes, but it was nice to see Anteater and Leopon actually getting a chance to do something.

So Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul is still going.  I have no idea how long it actually is, but I'm guessing 26 episodes since at episode 14 the intro and ending scores changed.

Could it be a problem with forced formatting? I mean, how old is your version, was it formatted for 4:3 that got stretched into 16:9 automatically by your player (happened to me with some Ranma DVDs I popped in a few years ago), and so on?

My version of Akira plays at 16:9 fairly well (1280x688, which is a little off), so... it could be?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1389 on: 12 July 2017, 20:24:59 »
It sort of ended like Dimension W, which i thought could been much better. Ending needed some improvement.

Thing was, with DimW was the manga was still ongoing when the Anime was produced. I'm not even sure how far the Manga has gotten.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1390 on: 12 July 2017, 21:36:46 »
Thing was, with DimW was the manga was still ongoing when the Anime was produced. I'm not even sure how far the Manga has gotten.
The ending of DimW was not anything I've read. Last Chapters i was able to read was when they were in the Resort where the murders happened.  I didn't think i read the last part of the chapter.  The island thing was never covered at that point.  That's why i thought they made their own ending for the series.  If there light novel series, then that could have been source but way it ended...i doubt it.  It was like a Cartoon Network paid ending, like Big O's 2nd season. Americanized in a way (don't get upset with me, this just the vibe i get from it. I loved both shows.)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1391 on: 12 July 2017, 21:55:12 »
Could it be a problem with forced formatting? I mean, how old is your version, was it formatted for 4:3 that got stretched into 16:9 automatically by your player (happened to me with some Ranma DVDs I popped in a few years ago), and so on?

My version of Akira plays at 16:9 fairly well (1280x688, which is a little off), so... it could be?

No, it's the streaming version on Amazon's Anime Strike channel.  It's the way the characters were drawn, that weird, lumpiness that a lot of 80s anime shows had.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1392 on: 13 July 2017, 20:58:26 »
So, while the forum was sleeping, one anime season ended and another arose.........

Eromanga Sensei was cute & hilarious, and every girl in it was incredible (not you Muramasa)! Kinda light on the plot & what there is was telegraphed from all the way back in Oreimo, but hey, sometimes you just want to have fun with your friends!

Alice to Zoroku landed somewhere comfortable between drama and slice of life, & made for a thoughtful watch without pulling the heart strings too hard.

Hinako Note gave me double diabetes. Yui Ogura is magical.

Zero Kara Hajimaru Maho no Sho delivered probably the most surprisingly enjoyable experience of the season - the plot was interesting & unpredictable, and not a bad character to be had, not even the furries!

Granblue Fantasy's anime was exactly what I expected - hyper-generic fantasy as beautifully animated and voiced as possible. I don't play the mobage, but enjoyed watching the series just for how much money Cygames dropped on A-1 to flog it - quite frankly, it looks and sounds gorgeous, more Final Fantasy than any Final Fantasy animated series or film. That alone was enough for me.

Armed Girls Machiavellianism was my guilty pleasure of the season, & despite being vapid as all get out had a lot more fun action than I expected and somewhat less fan service. Nomura Fudo wasn't even a jerk, which I kind of expected just from his character design & the show premise!

I don't know that I can seriously recommend Clockwork Planet, but I liked it in a sort of nostalgic 90's B-quality anime sort of way. The premise and gags were wild enough that I always enjoyed the next episode, and the quality never dropped off.

Frame Arms Girl flogged Fumikane Shimada model kits at me, & I liked it.

Dropped Boku no Hero Academia 2 when it started going full shonen tournament, & Sword Oratoria midway through when I realized I was just waiting for Bell & Hestia to show up and that Aiz Wallenwhatzit can't carry a story.

Recreators is still going strong, although I'm increasingly frustrated with how much of the plot could have been avoided if MC kun just would have manned up about knowing where Altair was from. At least its out now.

Still watching Sakura Quest for PA Works upselling rural Japan, geting what I want.

---------------------------------------------------------------

So far this season, my favorite is Studio 3Hz Princess Principal a steampunk spy noir story from the makers of Flip Flappers. I barfed rainbows and glitter all Winter last winter over Flip Flappers, and this series may not be quite that good, but is good enough to probably make Studio 3Hz my favorite anime studio when all is said & done - action is a blast, tone is just right, and the characters and setting are pushing all the right buttons!

Not on its heals is the highly anticipated return of New Game!!, which tragically was not titled New Game+. Dogakobo is godly at making adorable, colorful slice of life moe anime, & everything that made people adore the first season is back. They're also making a second season of Luck & Logic called Hina Logi which everyone else will probably ignore but which I will love for being a fusion of the candy-colored low-drama action anime of the first season and the cutesy slice of life Dogakobo does the rest of the time.

Also near the top is Knights & Magic, a little bit Zero no Tsukaima, a little bit Five Star Stories it's doing a lot of fun things both in terms of world-building & combat sequences.

The unassumingly named Gamers! has opened with the establishment of some really good and believable character dynamics, which stakes it out a spot just outside of the realm of wish fulfillment and more in the "rose-tinted reality" side of storytelling.

The world building animation in Made in Abyss is breathtaking, and them finding Mega Man Volnutt has only endeared me further.

I'm a sucker for the Ottoman aesthetic, but I think Altair: Record of Battles's story focus on espionage & diplomacy is at least as good if not better than the sharp visuals.

It's been a while since I've watched a straight-forward shojo drama, but for whatever reason the rather everyday premise of Convenience Store Boyfriend just clicked! So far, so good! (and NO, I didn't even know that Rie Kugimiya was in the cast before I started watching it, although that pretty much guarantees I'll finish it!)

For the first time in years, Studio GONZO is producing an original anime, 18if, & it's just as trippy Alice & Wonderland ****** as you'd expect! You can tell that they're being very frugal with their animation budget with their very minimalist designs. It's a shame, but understandable considering their much reduced role in the industry.

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits has been a real cute send-up to classic tokusatsu, complete with an extended Ultraman fight re-enactment!

Restaurant to Another World/Isekai Shokudo is hovering over my drop column because its nice but there's really nothing standing out about fantasy characters eating common Japanese food.

I enjoy a lot of rather run of the mill bishojo action series, but Battle Girl High School was so utterly forgettable I dropped it after the first episode.

I'd be watching Fate/Apocrypha but Netflix thinks they're too good for the anime industry's standards. Intend to watch Yokoso Jitsuryoku Shijo Shugi no Kyoushitsu e/Welcome to the Classroom of the Elite & The Reflection when they air.

Oh, and 90's gag anime classic, Mahoujin Guru Guru has been rebooted this season by Production IG! I loved it before, & I love it now! It's a shame Toei's 90's kids anime reboots couldn't be half as good as this!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1393 on: 13 July 2017, 21:07:49 »
What about In Another World With My Smartphone?

The manga was better, from what i've seen the anime. It's plot going bit...too fast again. I'm beginning to wonder if quality control of the plots aka editing going down the tubes.  Its becoming a thing lately.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1394 on: 13 July 2017, 21:31:38 »
What about In Another World With My Smartphone?

The manga was better, from what i've seen the anime. It's plot going bit...too fast again. I'm beginning to wonder if quality control of the plots aka editing going down the tubes.  Its becoming a thing lately.

Yeah, crap! I watched that and forgot to add it! It's decent. I'll fully admit I'm mostly watching it out of support for Eiji Usatsuka. Hopefully it gives us more to hold onto, I don't expect it to rise much above mediocrity, sadly.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1395 on: 13 July 2017, 22:18:51 »
Something interesting on Crunchyroll:  the Japanese dub of RWBY.  Kjnd found it interesting how some lines got changed in trsnslation.  Also seems some lines were dropped.

Still, interesting to see avdub go the other way, from English to Japanese.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1396 on: 13 July 2017, 23:44:56 »
Something interesting on Crunchyroll:  the Japanese dub of RWBY.  Kjnd found it interesting how some lines got changed in trsnslation.  Also seems some lines were dropped.

Still, interesting to see avdub go the other way, from English to Japanese.
I still remember an episode of the new MLP series that had a stronger message in Japanese - character was worried about standing out from her friends because of her strong magic, but learned that they would accept her anyway. It was so... well... interesting.

Weirdest thing is that they pulled a DiC Sailor Moon "Sailor Sez" type thing at the end of every episode, and lost a lot of good gags by doing so.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1397 on: 14 July 2017, 01:36:27 »
So a new Castlevania miniseries just popped up on Netflix.  I just watched it (there's only 4 episodes) and thought it was pretty good.

That thing's been in development hell for about a decade.  Warren Ellis write the script and was talking about it back in 2006 or so.  The idea was to do a trilogy of movies adapting one of the games, and it wound up as a series instead.  Netflix liked what they got so they've ordered an 8-episode continuation, which will presumably finish off the story.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1398 on: 14 July 2017, 04:09:24 »
So, while the forum was sleeping, one anime season ended and another arose.........

Some extra's.

(from the completed season)

Atom - The Beginning
A tribute/prequel to Astroboy, in which Umatarō Tenma and Hiroshi Ochanomizu as college students work together to produce a robot.

ID-0
A scifi series in the far future, where people transfer their consciousness to robots, for working in space.

Little Witch Academia
This wonderful series just got completed and it was a wonderful ride. I am hoping on a second season or a movie, but the story is quite complete.

Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar)
It is a chinese anime about an older professional gamer, it also feels more mature then many other gamer animes.

Seikai suru Kado (Kado: The Right Answer)
A current day scifi, that involves an inter-dimensional alien, and a plot twist near the end.

(from the current season)

Aho Girl
A story about a girl that is about a dumb as a monkey. Thankfully she has people around her that try to help her.

Isekai Shokudou (Restaurant to Another World)
One day of the week this restaurant connects to another world, allowing fantasy story type people to try out modern cooking.

ps. I do have the feeling that Knight's & Magic might be the best show for us in this season. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1399 on: 14 July 2017, 06:31:21 »
Check Netflix, there's already a Little Witch Academia movie there, IIRC.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1400 on: 14 July 2017, 08:04:14 »

I know that one, I just want more.  :)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1401 on: 14 July 2017, 09:49:42 »
@MadCapellan

You're not the first I've seen gripe about Sota's lack of acknowledgement of his connection to Altair/MUP. Like I mentioned in my comments about ep 5 a couple of months back, I'm surprised that the reveal of his connection to Altair/MUP was popped that soon to the audience.
In all honesty, I like the fact that Re: Creators writers are treating his pain/loss over Setsuna somewhat realistically. Keep in mind it was only two months, story time, between her suicide and Selesia's transition. And in the following couple of weeks, Sota was then forced to start to come to terms with Setsuna's suicide and his unintentional part in it. I like that in roughly four months, story time, Sota is wanting to actively try and deal with his issues by helping with the crossover.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1402 on: 14 July 2017, 11:13:55 »
Zero Kara Hajimaru Maho no Sho delivered probably the most surprisingly enjoyable experience of the season - the plot was interesting & unpredictable, and not a bad character to be had, not even the furries!

Grimoire of Zero?  Yeah, just noticed that one last night and watched the first episode.  I'm wondering how I overlooked it before now.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1403 on: 14 July 2017, 11:35:36 »
Tsurezure Children is really REALLY adorable.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1404 on: 14 July 2017, 18:28:42 »
18if - Love how someone called this out as a horror harem. Love the intro song but some of the animation is a bit weird. Overall style sometimes reminds me of 80s/90s anime.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1405 on: 14 July 2017, 18:42:54 »
Calling 18if a horror harem? Maybe. If we ever see the MC in the waking world.
I'm willing to give this a couple more eps. I'm not entirely sure about how involved the MC got in ep 2. It sort of left a bad feeling for how the MC will develop.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1406 on: 15 July 2017, 01:15:41 »
So there's Centaur's Worries (concerns? Frets?), too, which has... well... kind of an interesting premise: No normal humans at all. Catfolk, centaurs, mermaids, and winged folk (angels/dragons) all live together in harmony, with no differences drawn between them.

Harmony. Is. Mandatory.

Ehhh.... It's okay. Cute, in places, with a world idea that's at least different (but how do the catfolk count as 6 limbed?) But the more of these monsterfolk anime I watch, the more I feel like it's an outlet to let Japan explore their discrimination-without-ever-naming-discrimination culture, and this is the least subtle of that lot.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1407 on: 15 July 2017, 02:06:49 »
Is that the one where the anti-slavery laws are so strong that if a centaur voluntarily gives an unconcious person a ride during an emergency, they're still guilty of enslaving the centaur?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1408 on: 15 July 2017, 02:57:28 »
Soooo... A kinder, gentler, less pervy Monster Musume??  :o

No... that was Interviews with Monster Girls.

Soooo... what would this one fall under I guess :-\
« Last Edit: 15 July 2017, 02:59:03 by pheonixstorm »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1409 on: 15 July 2017, 03:27:55 »
My take on what I read about it was that it was more along the lines of a political rant by the author.