Author Topic: NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 61260 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« on: 01 July 2016, 10:12:39 »
Free agency officially marks the start of the new season, and the show starts in less than an hour.

Let's do this!  O0
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Re: NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2016, 13:20:12 »
Pretty active day thus far.  I see Tampa is not messing around and extended Victor Herman to 8 years to what again amounts to team friendly cost considering what he could command next year.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2016, 13:23:26 »
Brian Campbell turned down a 1Y/5m deal to stay in Florida to take a 1Y/2m deal in Chicago. Yay Blackhawks, but that's a pretty big hit to take.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2016, 13:25:41 »
Milan Lucic a couple of years ago: Upset that Peter Chiarelli traded me, goes to show that you can't trust someone.

Milan Lucic today: Sure, I'll sign a seven year deal handed to me by the same guy, I have the memory of a mayfly!

Lulz.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2016, 13:32:54 »
A large bag with dollar signs on it overcomes a lot of trust issues.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2016, 16:04:00 »
Playing with Connor mcjesus isn't a bad perk either.  Bottom line, better option than Vancouver.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2016, 13:12:11 »
A large bag with dollar signs on it overcomes a lot of trust issues.

Definitely played out that way yesterday.  I'm not certain what to think of the David Backes signing by Boston.  Sure it makes them 3 centers deep, but that defense really doesn't get any better, it probably gets worse with a full season of Liles back there.  Okposo got paid and goes to Buffalo which I think is a pretty solid deal for him, maybe not such a wise idea for Buffalo.  He gets an NMC for 2 and a NTC.  As long as the rest of the team continues to grow though they may make the playoffs next year as a wild card. 

On the other end of the spectrum it is time to welcome the New York Islanders back to irrelevancy.  Signing none of their major free agents is just horrible.  Then again, they seem to have no money to do anything either.   Loui Ericksson got paid, but did so by signing with Vancouver, which, sucks to be him.  He is going to be there for a full rebuild though so I guess the Canucks have something to look forward to.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2016, 10:23:09 »
Frans Neilsen.  You know...   I mean, seriously.  ::shakes head, mutters random profanity::

At least Ott and Vanek are one year deals.  That's fine.  But six years for Neilsen?

The only thing worse than that is re-signing Helm for $5.5 mill over the next five or six years or whatever it is he's getting.  Just let him go.  He's fast, sure, but he doesn't really use his speed particularly well.  And any athlete I've heard talk about speed says that *speed is the first thing to go* as one ages.  Helm is not a young up-and-comer anymore.

All it does is telegraph to other GMs to demand maximum amounts of forwards as we look for a defenceman with whom to staunch our bloody blueline.  Something we probably won't get unless we raise our own in the draft.

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2016, 22:13:31 »

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2016, 08:51:45 »
This PK Subban trade for Weber is the gift that keeps on giving:

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/down-goes-browns-grab-bag-the-dumb-rule-that-killed-pk-subbans-no-trade-clause

"It was as if a million voices screamed out "BETTMAN!!!" and were suddenly silenced."

Who thinks that particular rule will be a talking point the next time the CBA comes around?
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2016, 12:39:11 »
This PK Subban trade for Weber is the gift that keeps on giving:

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/down-goes-browns-grab-bag-the-dumb-rule-that-killed-pk-subbans-no-trade-clause

Well, that's an eye-opener  :o 

But it's not that bad when tied into free agent eligibility. It may suck for the player involved, but it's a rule, and honestly, GM's need to be a little more careful in handing out non-trade and non-movement clauses.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2016, 14:12:16 »
...GM's need to be a little more careful in handing out non-trade and non-movement clauses.

Given the nature of this rule I'd say the players should be more careful about accepting them.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2016, 15:12:41 »
Given the nature of this rule I'd say the players should be more careful about accepting them.

Touché.

Indeed.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2016, 18:18:43 »
And Doan signed for another year. It will be interesting to see if he retires after this season as a Coyote.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2016, 21:33:00 »
And Doan signed for another year. It will be interesting to see if he retires after this season as a Coyote.

Honestly surprised he didn't THIS time around, but good to see him back in the desert one more time. I wondered if he might head somewhere else for a year to make a push at a Cup on the way out the door, but finishing up where he's been all these years is a rare thing these days- glad to see him take this path.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 14 July 2016, 01:02:19 »
Having briefly talked to Doan recently I got the impression he doesn't want to leave the Phoenix area. It's all about the family and not wanting to uproot them.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: 14 July 2016, 10:18:45 »
Not surprised. He's been there, what, twenty-one years now?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #17 on: 19 July 2016, 21:58:30 »
Derick Brassard for Mika Zibanejad.  On the surface I'd say this great deal for Ottawa as Brassard has done nothing but improve year after year over the past 4 years.  I approve of this trade for no other reason than the fact it gets Brassard out of Metro  O0

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2016, 09:33:16 »
Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread :(
« Last Edit: 23 July 2016, 09:37:02 by Top Sergeant »
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2016, 13:34:16 »
Red Wings are about ready to begin, I'd say.  We're primed to fight for our hockey lives to get another 7th or 8th seeding in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and extend this long suffered Pyrrhic victory known as "the streak".

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2016, 22:59:38 »
I'm really not certain what they are trying to do this off season.  It really looks like simply make shallow pitch at a playoff spot and/or prepare to the expansion draft.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #21 on: 28 July 2016, 13:30:02 »
I'm really not certain what they are trying to do this off season.  It really looks like simply make shallow pitch at a playoff spot and/or prepare to the expansion draft.

I think both of those ideas are in play, those, and the opening of our new arena next season.  The team is simply trying to tread water as far as this streak is concerned. 

I also think the owners are concerned more with and by the Tigers.  They'd rather keep the Red Wings on autopilot for now.

Plus, we have lots of not so great contracts.  Jimmy Howard still gets paid over the coming three seasons, Mrazek will demand much more sooner than that time.  Franzen is on the rolls for a long time to come, Zetterberg will be well-paid until he's a 40 year old hipster, etc...

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2016, 19:04:40 »
Everybody remember Don Henderson? If you don't, he was the linesman that Dennis Wideman took out last season. So...that whole fiasco is not over yet. Seems that Henderson needed surgery to repair a pair of ruptured discs. It also seems that Henderson might not get medical clearance to skate again. Yeah, the NHL deciding to exercise its right to fire the arbitrator who ruled the suspension down to ten games looks to be damned appropriate right now.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #23 on: 31 July 2016, 21:20:08 »
Yeah, the NHL deciding to exercise its right to fire the arbitrator who ruled the suspension down to ten games looks to be damned appropriate right now.

The odds that these two items are, in fact, related and not coincidence are remote.  The NHL was more upset that Oldham drew his own conclusions, kinda like we did back in the other post,  on the matter when rendering his decision.  Word didn't break until today (at least publicly) that he had surgery and may never be cleared to skate again.  Whether we knew this information now or a few months ago, it wouldn't have changed anything.  Wideman caused the issue, not the arbitrator.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2016, 10:13:58 »
Hate to agree, but... yeah.

Suspensions aren't handled by merit of how much damage was caused to the victim, whether we like it or not- if they were, folks like Matt Cooke or Todd Bertuzzi would have had much shorter careers than they actually got. When the ruling gets handed down, there's no way of knowing if a guy is out long-term, or will miss no time at all. And really, that's how it SHOULD be. It's not a matter of 'no harm no foul', it's a matter of a rules violation. The results aren't important- the act is.

What Wideman did was bizarre (the concussion excuse is both quite possible and still not reason to avoid punishment), it was by any reasoning against the rules... there's no sport in which attacking a referee is acceptable, after all. That he got as short of a suspension as he did is still surprising, but until we discover a way to look into the future there's no way to determine how long someone will be out with an injury, and so there's no good way to use that as a way to gauge suspensions. (Of course, the ability to look into the future would make the sport obsolete anyway ;) )

+Crow T. Robot+

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2016, 11:27:44 »
The odds that these two items are, in fact, related and not coincidence are remote.  The NHL was more upset that Oldham drew his own conclusions, kinda like we did back in the other post,  on the matter when rendering his decision.

I did not say the two were related, only that hindsight is showing the decision to fire James Oldham as an arbitrator was a good decision.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #26 on: 01 August 2016, 11:38:53 »
He had it coming.  Hockey Karma.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2016, 23:21:54 »
Unrelated, old, and still amusing.

https://youtu.be/JRjGoizEg9M

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2016, 08:57:42 »
He had it coming.  Hockey Karma.

...please tell me you don't mean Henderson.  :-\

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2016, 09:20:37 »
...please tell me you don't mean Henderson.  :-\
I think he was responding to the post prior to his

I did not say the two were related, only that hindsight is showing the decision to fire James Oldham as an arbitrator was a good decision.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Register