Author Topic: The emperor is dead. Long live the emperor...  (Read 2866 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
The emperor is dead. Long live the emperor...
« on: 18 June 2017, 04:18:41 »
Didn't see a thread for this, but we've lost another from Babylon 5...Stephen Furst aka Vir Cotto has died of complications from diabetes at the age of 63...

Goodbye you moon-faced assassin of joy...at least you lived long enough to see Morden's head on a pike, so you could look into his lifeless eyes and wave like you wanted to...

I think I now need to start rewatching B5...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: The emperor is dead. Long live the emperor...
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2017, 04:44:31 »
Andreas Katsulas, Jerry Doyle, Richard Biggs, and now Steven Furst.  Londo would be very alone...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2017, 05:06:04 »
Terrible news indeed, Vir was one of my favorite characters from that amazing show.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2017, 05:12:22 »
Andreas Katsulas, Jerry Doyle, Richard Biggs, and now Steven Furst.  Londo would be very alone...

Michael O'Hare and Jeff Conaway too.  And a bunch of supporting actors like Tim Choate.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2017, 05:43:39 »
Flounder's dead?! :(
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2017, 06:24:41 »
 :o :-[ :'( I just finish watching 5 season of Babylon 5 and now going to finish with movie collection. Stephen Furst aka Vir Cotto I met him at Comic Con in Michigan a long time ago great guy to meet. I 'll say this diabetes is nasty. My Dad had it and live 81 , his Doctor told my Mom this Your husband do everything wrong as diabetic. I have other who do everything right are dead your husband have strong DNA. Now the this oldzoat get shot of JD and rise it Emperor Vir Cotto.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2017, 06:54:50 »
Terrible news indeed, Vir was one of my favorite characters from that amazing show.
Me, too. His scene with Morden is by far the most memorable scene from the show for me.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2017, 08:43:59 »
Me, too. His scene with Morden is by far the most memorable scene from the show for me.
Oh not Vir!  :'(   That was his most memorable scene for me too... (twice, the one where he tells Morden his request. And the second where he get to see it)
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2017, 09:49:17 »
Shit. I saw the news this morning, but I am severely sleep-deprived due to a broken air conditioner and didn't make the connection.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2017, 11:22:22 »
technomage: you do not scare very easly do you mister kotto?
vir: ...well after working for ambassador lando molari you do not scare easly...

vir: i am sorry!
gkar: (slicing his hand open and blood dripping)dead! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!

best lines he had and best remembered...

he will be missed  :(

you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2017, 11:29:12 »
I saw that tagline and immediately thought Ian McDiarmid.

Good to see Palpatine is still kicking.
I have spoken.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2017, 12:32:49 »
I liked Vir more than Lando. Just a lot more likable to me. Nothing against Lando and Peter J who played him.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2017, 13:50:00 »
I liked Vir more than Lando. Just a lot more likable to me. Nothing against Lando and Peter J who played him.
That was the point of the Lando and Vir pair. Lando present the dark side of the Centuria while Vir present the positive side of it (and he came across a bit naive when we first meet him and he always came off as a nice guy)
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2017, 15:13:56 »
I remember seeing him portray Flounder, and his role in St. Elsewhere.  One of his best was Vir.  To take a character, as innocent in the beginning of the series to a grown and wiser man at the end, shows how truly talented he was.  He will be missed.

RIP Mr. Furst.  The others are waiting for you beyond the rim.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #15 on: 18 June 2017, 21:10:12 »
Him waving at Bag Guy's severed head. Delicious story telling. His passing is our loss and the after-life's eternal gain...

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2017, 07:00:46 »
A shot of your favorite distilled alcohol is a fitting tribute for Vir. Farewell, and thanks for all the laughter!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2017, 15:52:43 »
A shot of your favorite distilled alcohol is a fitting tribute for Vir. Farewell, and thanks for all the laughter!

Vir to londo: "I was toasting Emperor Cartagia. And since he was not here, I drank for him. And then I couldn't be rude, so I had to drink with him. And so, first it was me drinking for him. And then him drinking for me. And then I kind of got into this kind of cycle."

he may not have had the deeply philosophical lines the way Delenn or Gkar did, but Vir was probably one of the most important characters in how he could represent the everyman.. who shows us that not every member of a group will act the same way. that even small acts can have big effects. that guilt is a natural, even honorable feeling at times. his growth from being just londo's aide to someone who would be willing to use the power and position her had to help others.. then beign the only one who could stop a madman from destroying their world.. Vir had a great arc.

this quote, from the scene who's start i quoted above, sums it up i think.
Londo to Vir: "I can not tell you that your pain will ever go away. I can not tell you that you'll ever forget his face. I can only tell you that it was necessary. You may have helped to save our people. You did a hard thing. But you still have your heart, and your heart is a good one. You would not be in such great pain otherwise. That means there is still hope for you. And for that.. I find that I still envy you."

edit: and if you are going to toast Vir.. do it with a shirley temple.  ;)
« Last Edit: 19 June 2017, 15:55:54 by glitterboy2098 »

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2017, 18:18:35 »
Goodnight Booster Sinclair Munchapper of the planet Jo-ad. Star Command will miss you soldier!  :'(
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Register