Author Topic: CBT-derived Military Symbology tiles  (Read 10908 times)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Re: CBT-derived Military Symbology tiles
« Reply #30 on: 12 July 2011, 08:28:34 »
The thing I like about Milsketch is that more often than not, the base GIF is highly customizable with regards to color, background, and other data.  The learning curve isn't steep, but the program itself isn't to user friendly at first.

Then again, I started fiddling with it after inputting all the 3025 OOB's into and  ArcGIS shapefile so my patience with it may have been...short.  On the other hand, I finally did figure out how to relate the OOB.dbf file to the planetary shapefile, so Tikonov does show all the units assigned to it and not just one, and I can move each unit around now, which makes things much easier.

Davout
  I just spent a couple of hours playing with MilSketch, and while I'm not sure I've completely got the hang of it yet, I'm getting there, though a lot of what it does with the unit-symbols is stuff P.N and a little layering work could easily duplicate.  ::)  FWIW, I even converted the BT-icon .png files into proper 500x500 .gifs for interface with MilSketch - if you jokers want 'em, just say so and I'll drop 'em into this thread.  (I didn't do an 'Omni' modifier-bar, though - it would've meant rescaling and redrawing all the icons by hand, and I'm not that masochistic.  You'll have to use the bottom-text of a symbol to identify the unit as 'Omni'.  I also left off the letter-codes which identify units by weight-class or docking-collars; again, the bottom-row text can cover that.)

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #31 on: 12 July 2011, 09:39:28 »
...if you jokers want 'em, just say so and I'll drop 'em into this thread.

Why not? Variety is the spice of life. I'll add them to the first post, too.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 12 July 2011, 10:45:04 »
I agree.  Thanks Trace.

Why not? Variety is the spice of life. I'll add them to the first post, too.
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #33 on: 12 July 2011, 22:54:23 »
  Rassin' frassin' connection gremlins....  >:(

Okay, here we go - I've had to split these across multiple files and multiple posts to get under the attachment size-limit, but all you need to do is unpack them into a single new folder in the 'Military Symbols' directory (I simply called it 'BattleTech') and take it away from there!  :D

Please note that I couldn't use greyed-out panels in the 'infantry/battle-armour' icon, since MilSketch refuses to let you recolour a section that didn't start as white, black or the base shade of yellow; in lieu of those panels, I left in the 'MV0' text (though I'm snecked if I know what that acronym's supposed to mean ::) ).
« Last Edit: 12 July 2011, 23:01:55 by Trace Coburn »

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #34 on: 12 July 2011, 22:58:32 »
  And here are the modifers and unit-sizes.  I've done separate symbols for 'lance' and 'augmented lance' (though you can still build company/team and battalion/task-force augmentations yourselves), and I had to reshuffle the Blaker unit-sizes because MilSketch can't recolour greyed-out sections.  :(

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #35 on: 15 July 2011, 11:14:52 »
so a quick google yields that the map symbol for special forces and MPs is simple SF or MP, signals is easy enough too, but what about composite units and of course a CAAN?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 15 July 2011, 12:31:01 »
For composites, I included some basic elements in with the files in the first post. Using Trace's guidelines, they'd be easy to create.

Are there any elements that you'd like to see added?

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #37 on: 16 July 2011, 08:31:34 »
well for my purposes i think the CAAN tile and composite would be similar, just on different scales...

but let me talk this out here;

a CAAN is a combined air-armour-naval formation (with a few mechs I think and at the RCT/brigade-level, correct?) and so we can assume artillery as well...that could get messy and crowded fast. I google-search yielded no universal "Composite" symbol. I should think maybe a circle, so an anchor in a circle?

what would you use for a marine expeditionary unit? maybe that would fit better? on that note how about units with amphibious capabilities? I saw an LVT tile in my search, but that just was a box with "LVT"

as for the composite unit...i think of the kind of thing found in the Mekong back in vietnam, a smaller CAAN almost; infantry, armed landing craft, floating fire support, airmobile assets.

I did not notice a landing craft code for any of the naval assets either.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 16 July 2011, 09:32:15 »
Trace Coburn: I've added the links to your three sets to the top post. I'd think your counter should remain updated, regardless of where they click on the link.

- Rev

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 16 July 2011, 09:32:32 »
beachhead1985: I did use an anchor in the CBT-style tiles to denote (naval) Marines. You could possibly use that with some other symbology to denote a CAAN (maybe behind a 'Mech icon?). There may be some other icons I did not incorporate from the CBT graphics files (included in the main CBT-style set); if you can identify which ones you want, I'll add them.

- Rev

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 16 July 2011, 09:41:19 »
Symbols Like a CAAN, MEU and MEF are simply a box with the letters in them, and then the unit element size above.

Davout73

well for my purposes i think the CAAN tile and composite would be similar, just on different scales...

but let me talk this out here;

a CAAN is a combined air-armour-naval formation (with a few mechs I think and at the RCT/brigade-level, correct?) and so we can assume artillery as well...that could get messy and crowded fast. I google-search yielded no universal "Composite" symbol. I should think maybe a circle, so an anchor in a circle?

what would you use for a marine expeditionary unit? maybe that would fit better? on that note how about units with amphibious capabilities? I saw an LVT tile in my search, but that just was a box with "LVT"

as for the composite unit...i think of the kind of thing found in the Mekong back in vietnam, a smaller CAAN almost; infantry, armed landing craft, floating fire support, airmobile assets.

I did not notice a landing craft code for any of the naval assets either.
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 16 July 2011, 09:57:41 »
Symbols Like a CAAN, MEU and MEF are simply a box with the letters in them, and then the unit element size above.

Thanks, Davout73.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 16 July 2011, 10:43:37 »
Well, a CAAN would have a unit size above it.  The other two would be just boxes.  An MEU is a Task Force Oganization, you would have to have an index that had a breakdown of what was in the MEU at some point.  An MEF is a Division sized unit, whose organization is pretty well laid out.  As an example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Marine_Expeditionary_Force

Davout

Thanks, Davout73.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2011, 10:49:10 by Davout73 »

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #43 on: 17 July 2011, 13:45:04 »
Well, a CAAN would have a unit size above it.  The other two would be just boxes.  An MEU is a Task Force Oganization, you would have to have an index that had a breakdown of what was in the MEU at some point.  An MEF is a Division sized unit, whose organization is pretty well laid out.  As an example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Marine_Expeditionary_Force

Davout

Thanks, Davout73.

huh, you know, that doesn't sound so bad; a box with CAAN in it; it's simple and distinct. we don't really know alot abot the CAANs and how they were organized, I am hoping to be pleasently surprised in the new reunification war book
beachhead1985: I did use an anchor in the CBT-style tiles to denote (naval) Marines. You could possibly use that with some other symbology to denote a CAAN (maybe behind a 'Mech icon?). There may be some other icons I did not incorporate from the CBT graphics files (included in the main CBT-style set); if you can identify which ones you want, I'll add them.

- Rev

nah, you did a great job, anything else I guess I can and should really make myself, especially the wierd stuff

A.E. Housman

Register